The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: I miss ice fishing  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
I miss ice fishing
« on: Apr 07, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Am I alone?  Why can't we still go???  The pike are shallow right now and they are swimming under my old holes and I'm trapped on land.  I hate land!  These are the hardest 3 weeks of the year.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Re: I miss ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2008, 03:04 PM »
i can icefish until the end of april, but have no ice! >:(
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2008, 03:04 PM »
im right there with you :-\, i would love to be out there still be out there.

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2008, 03:48 PM »
Pooley, Next year you need to make the trip east.  We'll make you our mascot  ;D

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2008, 03:54 PM »
I didn't want to see it end either........plus I miss all the chatter on this site. Everybody's moved to the open water site, it's just not the same over there..............jus t a depressing time of year, all the dirty snow and mud, streams too high, no open water, can't dig worms, 4-wheeler won't start, driveway's washing out, vehicles are a mess, dog poop on the lawn, wife's mad cause I'm tracking in dirt, .........sucks really.

But Hey! The Banquet Is This Weekend!!!!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2008, 03:59 PM »
Am I alone?  Why can't we still go???  The pike are shallow right now and they are swimming under my old holes and I'm trapped on land.  I hate land!  These are the hardest 3 weeks of the year.

Mike, this is one of the best years for people to push for "year round fishing", whether it is ice or open water.
People could still be enjoying ice fishing right now. Everybody's standing around twiddling their fingers waiting for more open water. At least, I'm glad I still can chase the smelts from the ice.
                                                                                               Dennis

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:21 PM »
we bearly have any run off yet , i went to a few spots on the rivers today (no luck) and i couldn't belive how low they are  :(

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:25 PM »
Rivers are plenty high around here. Saw some dreamer trying by my house yesterday! Musta been really bored.  ;D
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Need a ice fishing withdrawal club.  ;D ;D ;D Maybe they can come up with some medication to treat it with. ;D ;D ;D  Or handy stand by 12 oz. cans. ;D ;D

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:56 PM »
It stinks im not able to fish the way i want to.  the ice is still there to fish we should be able to fish.

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:17 PM »
Need a ice fishing withdrawal club.  ;D ;D ;D Maybe they can come up with some medication to treat it with. ;D ;D ;D  Or handy stand by 12 oz. cans. ;D ;D
I was thinking about drilling a hole in the ice on my buddies pool just deep enough so i can set a trap and then we can all sit around and enjoy a nice road soda

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2008, 05:22 PM »
                  I CANT WAIT TILL ICE FISHING AGAIN      LET ALL THE ICE FISHING DIE HARDS STILL GAB ABOUT ICE FISHING ALL SUMMER LONG !!!!!!!!!!

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2008, 06:49 PM »
I hear you, this sucks!  Could still be fishing on a lot of ponds.  Sticks let me know buddy, i will come and drink beer with you looking over a pool filled with traps!  I wonder if they could ticket us for taking all the line off our traps and just setting them in a hole on the ice....what do you think....It would be just like fishing on slowbago!!!! ;D :laugh:

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I hear you, this sucks!  Could still be fishing on a lot of ponds.  Sticks let me know buddy, i will come and drink beer with you looking over a pool filled with traps!  I wonder if they could ticket us for taking all the line off our traps and just setting them in a hole on the ice....what do you think....It would be just like fishing on slowbago!!!! ;D :laugh:
they had a small get together last september at beavertale's with half a dozen guys sitting around a tip up in a 5 gallon bucket. might have to bring that out every few months. or fire up the woods stove in the shack and sit in there  ;D

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:03 PM »
Today's job was to open my portables up and let the wind dry them out before putting them away for nine months.  :'(
Steve

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:04 PM »
as long as theres fish left in the lakes i miss it

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:28 PM »
I miss it to. put all my stuff away and have already got it back out to work on.

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2008, 05:38 AM »

Mike, this is one of the best years for people to push for "year round fishing", whether it is ice or open water.
People could still be enjoying ice fishing right now. Everybody's standing around twiddling their fingers waiting for more open water. At least, I'm glad I still can chase the smelts from the ice.
                                                                                               Dennis
From what I hear, they are working on this as we speak!  That sure would be great if they could pass something that would allow us to keep on fishing!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:03 AM »
i hope they change it guys. i would go nuts looking at ice i couldn't fish! :wacko:
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:58 AM »
Can't miss what you can't see. Ice left the ponds on the island three weeks ago. It's a good thing, it helps get your mind off the subject.
Steve

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2008, 07:09 AM »
Do you ever think that the reason so many of us love ice fishing so much is because we can't do it all year? Just think! If we could fish all year (on ice) we would get sick of it just like everything else we do to much of.
I learned an old trick from a MAGICIAN. He told me you never want to show too many tricks at one time or the people would get tired of seeing them. He said show just enough to make them want to see more and quit. Then he said they will want you to come back.
 Just like Ice Fishing. Just enough ice, to make us, want to come back!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Apr 08, 2008, 07:39 AM »
If it were not for 7-20 pound steelhead, morells, Wild Turkey Season, Crappies and Perch in shallow, the Smelt Run, Sucker runs then i would be jonesing for ICE, but in Michigan these are nice diversions just like the fiddle heads!!! ;)

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2008, 07:53 AM »
Do you ever think that the reason so many of us love ice fishing so much is because we can't do it all year? Just think! If we could fish all year (on ice) we would get sick of it just like everything else we do to much of.
I learned an old trick from a MAGICIAN. He told me you never want to show too many tricks at one time or the people would get tired of seeing them. He said show just enough to make them want to see more and quit. The he said they will want you to come back.
 Just like Ice Fishing. Just enough ice, to make us, want to come back!

I like your thinking!

I believe it isn't the actual act of ice fishing we all miss, it's the planning, the time spent getting your stuff ready, finding new and inventive ideas, showing them off to friends, HANGING OUT and drinking cold ones WITH FRIENDS that love to fish as much as you do. And to top it all off, you get to enjoy the surrounds of your favorite lake or pond. Man I miss it and can't wait until next year. 

The Moosehead Trip was the best!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #23 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:46 AM »
The Moosehead trip was the best time of the year. I'll be there next year for sure.
Steve

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:52 AM »
The Moosehead trip was the best time of the year. I'll be there next year for sure.
me too!  want to make it 1 day longer
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2008, 11:34 AM »
There's certainly something to wanting what you can't have.  Story of my life in more ways than one  ;D.
Unfortunately, I'm still depressed  ;D

Offline shantyman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2008, 01:52 PM »
hey wat our some good chate sites like this for open water season  ??? thxs  :thumbsup:
Ice fishin DOsen't GET any BETTER!!

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #27 on: Apr 08, 2008, 02:05 PM »
hey wat our some good chate sites like this for open water season  ??? thxs  :thumbsup:

Most of the crowd has moved to here: http://www.myfishfinder.com/

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Apr 08, 2008, 04:20 PM »
me too!  want to make it 1 day longer

That's an interesting idea Hazmat.   

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:17 PM »
The only good news is that it is now open water season. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.