The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Maple Taps  (Read 156746 times)

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: OT Maple Taps
« Reply #210 on: Mar 02, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Has anyone given there tree's a break or herd of giving them a break? I have taped the same trees for about 4 years now. I read in some of the sugaring books i got that its good to give trees a break from tapping. has any herd this or done this and seen a difference in there sap flow the previous year?
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #211 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Has anyone given there tree's a break or herd of giving them a break? I have taped the same trees for about 4 years now. I read in some of the sugaring books i got that its good to give trees a break from tapping. has any herd this or done this and seen a difference in there sap flow the previous year?

As long as its more than 10" in diameter and healthy, tap it!  (but never overdue the total number of taps per tree) If concerned, they make tree saver taps that are smaller in size but do not really neg. effect sap flow.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:19 PM »
As long as its more than 10" in diameter and healthy, tap it!  (but never overdue the total number of taps per tree) If concerned, they make tree saver taps that are smaller in size but do not really neg. effect sap flow.

i have 4 trees i run 2 taps off witch im told by people who tap that i should be running 4. but i dont have a big operation so i just tap as many trees as possible. i was just wondering because this year with my arm injury and i forgot to bring wood from the wood lot up for boiling i will be taking a break this year and wondering if i should expect a good sap outcome next year.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #213 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:26 PM »
i have 4 trees i run 2 taps off witch im told by people who tap that i should be running 4. but i dont have a big operation so i just tap as many trees as possible. i was just wondering because this year with my arm injury and i forgot to bring wood from the wood lot up for boiling i will be taking a break this year and wondering if i should expect a good sap outcome next year.

Taking a year off won't effect one way or another, its other conditions like snow pack, freezing / thawing, etc.  that makes one yr. to the next different. 

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #214 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:57 PM »

Are those the only 4 trees you tap? If so I would max them out. My general rule of thumb that I got from my grandfather has always been one tap for every 5" of diameter. Don't tap anything under 10" and don't put any more than 4 taps per tree. Don't know where it came from but it's what I've always gone by.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #215 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:51 AM »
Are those the only 4 trees you tap? If so I would max them out. My general rule of thumb that I got from my grandfather has always been one tap for every 5" of diameter. Don't tap anything under 10" and don't put any more than 4 taps per tree. Don't know where it came from but it's what I've always gone by.

no i have i think 20 or so taps that i run.

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:56 PM »
i lost my taps... our garage is a complete mess!!!

where can i get some, how much?
need to hurry, just about time...

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #217 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:07 PM »
I just bought some plastic ones for 2.25 each. The metal ones were2.75. I saw some cheap plastic ones for a little less than 2 bucks. Paris farmers, tractor supply, nights, anyplace like that should still have em. @)
How they biten

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #218 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:38 PM »
At least when I used to live out that way, Suga's Country Products on the Cross Hill Rd in Vassalboro had maple supplies.
923-3355

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #219 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:03 AM »
i lost my taps... our garage is a complete mess!!!

where can i get some, how much?
need to hurry, just about time...

bacon farm maple products in sidney. right there by the sidney boat landing on mess!! i bought so tubing from them. very reasonable prices to!! check em out!

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #220 on: Mar 05, 2011, 07:29 AM »
sap running today? @)
How they biten

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #221 on: Mar 05, 2011, 10:56 AM »
last summer i bought my first house and i have a few maple trees on my property, my ? is. is there anything around the house i can use for taps or where could i buy some. thanks
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #222 on: Mar 05, 2011, 11:28 AM »
last summer i bought my first house and i have a few maple trees on my property, my ? is. is there anything around the house i can use for taps or where could i buy some. thanks

If you head south on 202, there is an orchard store on the left in down town Alfred (Giles Farm.)  They have the blue plastic taps for sale for a quarter a piece.  Then continue heading south and buy some 1/4" plastic tubing and some five gallon buckets at lowes in sanford.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #223 on: Mar 05, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #224 on: Mar 05, 2011, 11:54 AM »
blue plastic taps for sale for a quarter a piece.  .

I would buy everyone they have at that price.  @)
How they biten

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where did you put my beer?
« Reply #225 on: Mar 05, 2011, 12:17 PM »
From my nose.
Ugh, I'd hate to see what that boils down to...  :roflmao:  :sick: :sick: :sick:
I've got the itch... No, not that one. It's the good kind.
It's pronounced "fay-len" (the x's are silent)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #226 on: Mar 11, 2011, 06:08 AM »
O.K. Team Maine sap-a-holics, this is the weekend to get your taps in and your evaporator set up, it starts for real next week. :thumbsup:  I think this may be a great year if we don't loose or snowpack too quickly.  May your sap be 3%. ;D

Iain - how we looking on dry slabs ??? ::) :whistle: ;D

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Mar 11, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Out of curiousity, what does everyone use for a method to know when their sap is done? The last time I did syrup with my grandfather he had a refractometer. I've been looking online but they say that a refractometer is calibrated for 10-30*C and I don't want to end up with it turning to sugar. So do you guys go solely by temperature, or use a refractomer or hydrometer to measure the sugar content? Thanks.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #228 on: Mar 11, 2011, 08:01 AM »
Out of curiousity, what does everyone use for a method to know when their sap is done? The last time I did syrup with my grandfather he had a refractometer. I've been looking online but they say that a refractometer is calibrated for 10-30*C and I don't want to end up with it turning to sugar. So do you guys go solely by temperature, or use a refractomer or hydrometer to measure the sugar content? Thanks.

As I kid we just "eyeballed" and ended up with some mistakes accordingly. :'(  When I started back into it, I used a cheap Walmart candy thermometer but there was so much variable in temp reading.  You can still do that if you want, just put it in a SAUCEPAN ::) and check what it reads at boil, doesn't matter what the number says if you go 7.1 beyond that.

Having said all that, I broke down and bought a hydrometer and cup last yr. from Bacon's in Sidney, takes ALL the guess work completely out. Properly stored, it will last a long time.@)

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #229 on: Mar 11, 2011, 09:27 AM »
Been thinking all winter that I wouldn't be able to get set up at our new house to tap this year, but the closer sap season gets the more I want to make a stab at it.  I figure I can just just throw together a cinderblock fire box and work on a better set up for next year.  Question is, you guys have any suggestions for where I could find a cheap boil pan?  I have a big lobster pot I could use if I have to, but I'd like something with a little more surface area.  Don't want to have to burn five cords of wood for a half gallon of syrup!  I still have all my other equipment, just no idea where my old pan went.   :-\  Thanks!   

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #230 on: Mar 11, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Been thinking all winter that I wouldn't be able to get set up at our new house to tap this year, but the closer sap season gets the more I want to make a stab at it.  I figure I can just just throw together a cinderblock fire box and work on a better set up for next year.  Question is, you guys have any suggestions for where I could find a cheap boil pan?  I have a big lobster pot I could use if I have to, but I'd like something with a little more surface area.  Don't want to have to burn five cords of wood for a half gallon of syrup!  I still have all my other equipment, just no idea where my old pan went.   :-\  Thanks!  

Go to Sam's Club and get two steam pans, maybe $30-$40.  Go to Mardens and get some s.s. cabinet handles and install at ends of each pan.  Set blocks so they use the lip of pans for support.  Be careful, they will shift some.  Make sure to take some sand and ramp up 2" under half way the distance of your arch.  Should do almost 5gph with that set up.

Google Mother Earth News - "Do it yourself evaporator" for more.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #231 on: Mar 12, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Well, in between kids activities, the boy and I managed to get 12-14 taps in today, a few trees still too much snow to get to.  Surprisingly, most were running, even though the temp. didn't drop below freezing last night.  Evap. is set up and leveled, few cold nights and we should be in business. @)  Good luck sappers.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #232 on: Mar 12, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Well, in between kids activities, the boy and I managed to get 12-14 taps in today, a few trees still too much snow to get to.  Surprisingly, most were running, even though the temp. didn't drop below freezing last night.  Evap. is set up and leveled, few cold nights and we should be in business. @)  Good luck sappers.

You need an assisitant?  ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #233 on: Mar 12, 2011, 02:55 PM »
You need an assisitant?  ;D

We do seem to draw quite a crowd in the driveway on boil days :wacko:, always room for one more saucepan. ;D

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #234 on: Mar 12, 2011, 03:55 PM »
Sap was running as good as as gets today in my neck of the woods.  The buckets will be full by the end of tommorow.  @)
How they biten

Offline woodman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #235 on: Mar 12, 2011, 07:33 PM »

The sap ran good here today, picked up 350 gallons  will probably boil tomorrow Still would like to get 200 more taps in

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #236 on: Mar 12, 2011, 08:05 PM »
weather looks to be real good all this week. @)
How they biten

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #237 on: Mar 13, 2011, 06:11 AM »
weather looks to be real good all this week. @)

No doubt, we should be swimming in it by week's end. @)

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #238 on: Mar 13, 2011, 02:41 PM »
Sap was running good up Abbot way this weekend.  Put in 65 taps with my uncle at his place, then another 40 at my camp.  Still a lot of snow in the woods.
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Mar 13, 2011, 03:11 PM »

We are ready to roll here, just waiting on Mother Nature, all mods. are complete.  12 of the 16 taps are running (not great) even though it hasn't dropped below freezing for two nights.  Tonight should make all the difference, like Brace said, still lots of snow in the woods.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.