The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Arthur chat  (Read 175715 times)

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
Re: Lake Arthur chat
« Reply #180 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:15 PM »
I agree Imo..100%.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #181 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:32 PM »
What other areas in Arthur hold ice for ice fishing...I know of the church and MC, not sure if any other areas are even worth trying?  Any thoughts?  My buddy just got a hold of a nice typo make of the lake with all the road beds and train tracks listed...I think he got it from fishing hot spots or something like that?  Any idea if these maps are correct or just a reasonable guess?
I am GOING FISHING, I'll be back at Dark-Thirty

Offline gillmaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 11"gill from a secret pond
« Reply #182 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Any reports on Mcdaniels?
Go Team PA!

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:00 PM »
Always good to see fellow Shanty members on the ice. Even better when you see fellow Shanty members doing good.............John :tipup:
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline gillmaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 11"gill from a secret pond
« Reply #184 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:02 PM »
How is the condition of the road to get to the back of MC? Still solid ice?
Go Team PA!

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:07 AM »
MAN....this ain't no fun. Knee swelled up musta tweaked it Friday. I know everyone is out there fishing. Wish I had live cam....LOL  Atleast I could yell...FLAG!!!!!!! :tipup: :tipup:

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:29 PM »
Fished MC today at 2nd parking lot...slow to start, but iced 2 decent bass for myself on tip-ups with med. shiners and a friend of mine had 2 bass while jigging.  Has a couple tip-ups pop off, but with no fish to be had.  A bunch of weak bites for a few hours down by the first boat launch before we moved.  Everyone around us was catching bass, I saw no other species of fish landed today...was out from 7:30 A till 5:30 P Had about 7-8" of ice. 

Hope everyone that was out had a good day...this was my best day out since picking up ice fishing last season and all the feedback and tips from people on this site help to do that, thanks guys.   

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #187 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Thanks for the report!!! Wish I coulda made it today....BUT...there is always tommorrow. You see a tall guy limping around on the ice ya know its me.... :laugh:

Offline icefishermik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:26 PM »
where did all the pike come from? never caught so many pike back in mc. 6 pike and 9 bass. 9:30 til4:30. one pike 29" and two 28". toothy critters got my hands all nicked up. gotta be more careful

Offline fly_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frozen holes are no good!!!!
« Reply #189 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:22 AM »
Stopped at Anderson's to buy some bait Sunday morning. No waxxies, man is their bait expensive! $2 a dozen for small fatheads and $2 a container for grubs! Looks like I'll be ordering bulk bait soon!

Should have stuck with MC. Fished off the launch by 422 and Nothing! I couldn't find the brush pile we fish in the Spring!

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Looks like if we get the snow they are calling for it maybe awhile before I see this lake.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #191 on: Jan 27, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Looks like if we get the snow they are calling for it maybe awhile before I see this lake.
6" snow tonight have to drive through it 2x might look to fish in march  lol   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:45 PM »
BE CAREFUL there Mr. 1Mo...might need ya before the year is over to drag me and my stuff onto the ice.........

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:35 PM »
Looks like the fish will be safe Sunday at Moraine cause...I'll be watching the Pittsburgh Steelers whoop the Cards for their SIXTH.....Sixth Super Bowl ring.  Guess alot guys in other states will be fishing....LOL  No sense in watching the race if you don't have a horse in it........GO STEELERS!!!!!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Hey, guys in this state will be fishing too; especially since our team tanked. We do have a World Championship baseball team, on the other hand. Best o' luck to the Steelers!

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:00 PM »
If you are near Pittsburgh, PA....most are not even aware that we still have a Baseball team!!  Is anyone going to skip the big game and try and sneak out to the lake on Sunday...I am giving it some serious thought...

Offline Creektroll3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Jan 29, 2009, 11:03 PM »
Might go in the morning for a spell, but would be back in time for the game!!! Here we go STEELERS !!!!!
I'm currently laid off so I got all week to fish !!!!!!  ;D

2009 Iceshanty Tourney Leader for Crappie

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #197 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:59 AM »
I'll most likely be out on the lake until dark on Sunday...and if the bite is good I'll take it over the game.  I'm probably one of the few that isn't a Steeler fan in SW PA.  Not that I don't like them...in fact I will probably support them in the Superbowl due to my loyalty to the AFC...just not a major fan of the team.

I did want to ask another question of the Arthur ice community though.  I have seen ice boaters on the main body of the lake, in years past.  Obviously, you want a surface that is relatively clean of snow so that the runners aren't going to be impacted by it, but I'm wondering about thickness for safety sake.  I have a friend that wants to try out his ice boat for the first time, and he asked what I thought would be a safe thickness for it.  His ice boat is similar to a phantom style sailboat (single sail) and the weight is probably half that (if not less) than a compact size vehicle.  I was thinking at least 7 inches, though I'm not sure of physics of weight distribution on runners vs tires, for it to be safe.  He already registered the boat with the state, and was hoping to try and get out there this weekend.

Any comments on this from an experienced point of view or theoretical would be appreciated.  Stay on top, stay safe, and catch lots of fish all!

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #198 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:11 AM »
What I see in other threads is that people drive full size trucks on 10 inches of ice. If it was me I would wait until I seen people using them on the ice before I did. I'm sure people would post on here for you if they seen people using them on Moraine.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #199 on: Jan 30, 2009, 09:52 AM »
he would have no problem on the ice right now as long as he stayed on the main lake away from all hot springs

Offline toocheaptosmoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is it lunch time yet?
« Reply #200 on: Jan 31, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Hey everyone, been a while since I hung out here.  Finally got out for the first time this season, fished the road bed out in MC, as usual didn't catch anything but some 'gills.   :-\ 

Won't be out tomorrow night either, go Steelers!  ;D
[signature removed]

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Now that football season is over..time to focus on fishing this lake again.  Maybe hit it tommorrow or tuesday.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #202 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:06 AM »
He could call out there I’m sure there are some type of guidelines that they would have for safe ice on those boats like this or that many inches is safe for them.  If not I would look on line I’m sure there is a web site with forums similar to this for them if they are not in this state he can at least ask some questions.  I would think that he would be good to go by now.

Take care,

Snapper   

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #203 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:59 AM »
He could call out there I’m sure there are some type of guidelines that they would have for safe ice on those boats like this or that many inches is safe for them.  If not I would look on line I’m sure there is a web site with forums similar to this for them if they are not in this state he can at least ask some questions.  I would think that he would be good to go by now.

Take care,

Snapper   

the ice was a foot thick out past the cabins who knows how thick in the middle wish there was more deep water access the middle is a half mile from access    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline wantalund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:07 PM »
Fished Lake Arthur for 5 hours on Sunday ... Church area and up by Snyder's point.  Nothing but THICK ice.  Weather was beautiful...warm breeze and lots of sun.  The Steelers saved the day.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #205 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Well now that I hit 500 posts its time to shutup and fish.....LOL    Have learned alot from all the threads and hope I have passed on some info that was useful to someone. Atleast I hope some of my humorus posts put a smile on your face..Thank You to all the shanty members for your post and help in the PM's. Good Luck and stay safe!!!!!!!

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #206 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:21 AM »
OK.....Who's heading out to Moraine tommorrow???????

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Feb 05, 2009, 01:07 PM »
OK.....Who's heading out to Moraine tommorrow???????
i wonder if the snow built back up on the ice up in Cleveland they got a foot in the last 2 days the warm weather is a welcome reprieve I'm gettin lazy or old or both lol   mo

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #208 on: Feb 06, 2009, 08:39 AM »
Still waiting to see what permission I have for this weekend (from the wife).  I'm hoping she says fish Saturday morning, but most likely it will be Sunday afternoon to dark--seems to work for her schedule more often than not.  If I get out I'll be headed west of the 528 bridge again--Snapper, if you are going out that way look for the black fliptop Frabill Scout.

You going to Bear Run Mo?!?

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Feb 06, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Still waiting to see what permission I have for this weekend (from the wife).  I'm hoping she says fish Saturday morning, but most likely it will be Sunday afternoon to dark--seems to work for her schedule more often than not.  If I get out I'll be headed west of the 528 bridge again--Snapper, if you are going out that way look for the black fliptop Frabill Scout.

You going to Bear Run Mo?!?
i wanted to if the snow is gone might hit it sunday late in the summer found deep spots with brush trollin for stripers pm me ill give you the directions     mo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.