The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Arthur chat  (Read 175683 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: Lake Arthur chat
« Reply #150 on: Jan 18, 2009, 04:54 PM »
pull that 4wd in the woodz and procede to fish lol was anyone fishin deep  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline fritschsr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #151 on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:50 PM »
Brother in law and myself fished off the end of Barkeley Rd from 10am to 1pm, had 5 tip-ups out and 2 rods and caught absolutely
nothing, used small to medium minnow's & a few night crawlers, no bites or nibbles, oh well we'll give it heck next weekend.
Watched a dad with his two young children, he was teaching them to ice skate, they took to it pretty well, the dad could shovel snow while skating, good for a guy who said he hasn't skated for 15 years.
If you don't know where you are going, when you get there, well there you are.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #152 on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:37 PM »
Brother in law and myself fished off the end of Barkeley Rd from 10am to 1pm, had 5 tip-ups out and 2 rods and caught absolutely
nothing, used small to medium minnow's & a few night crawlers, no bites or nibbles, oh well we'll give it heck next weekend.
Watched a dad with his two young children, he was teaching them to ice skate, they took to it pretty well, the dad could shovel snow while skating, good for a guy who said he hasn't skated for 15 years.

its sounding like the same story its almost feburary its already the middle of the season need to fish the breaks in the weather or very deep where the fish are least affected or the major feeding periods i fish shallow for action and the deep edge for keepers it was a powerful high preesure followed by a strong low fish were plastered on the bottom then suspended due to the pressure change tmi lol  fish saturday its the first break in next weeks weather    good fishin   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #153 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:27 AM »
pull that 4wd in the woodz and procede to fish lol was anyone fishin deep  mo

Ain't no FISH in them there woods!!!!!.......LOL   Tried that last year. Tried fishin over a hill. No flags no nuttin....LOL
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #154 on: Jan 19, 2009, 01:13 PM »

Ain't no FISH in them there woods!!!!!.......LOL   Tried that last year. Tried fishin over a hill. No flags no nuttin....LOL
i hear the fish are in the woodz lol need to look for the brush piles to find the fish concentations wadda i no         lol            mo

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me where the "old 528 boat launch parking lot is"  All I have are new maps, so I am assuming old parking areas will not be listed.  Last year I always parked at the second boat launch area off of 528, just south of the water filtration station.  Heck I may be in the right area already, but I was not sure which area was considered the old launch? 

Thanks
I am GOING FISHING, I'll be back at Dark-Thirty

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #156 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:13 PM »
There are two lots...one just as you cross the bridge and the other is alittle ways down the road on 528.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:16 PM »
Yeah I had seen them both, but I was not sure if one of them was called the "old" one or not.  Thanks.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #158 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:14 PM »
I'm not sure myself...lol    I just want to find a parking spot there...LOL   Gotta get up early I see. Oh well..live and learn,,,,,Or maybe they have parking leases??.....LOL

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:24 AM »
I got my regulature in for my heater Thrus.night I thought I was doing good.  Then the power steering pump that was replaced in my truck 3 months ago started blowing fluid all over the place Saturday morning, I could not fish at all on my long weekend.  So I made 10 pounds of pepper jerky and 10 of regular jerky, snack sticks, pepperoni sticks with cheese, plain pepperoni sticks, teriyaki snack sticks, log bologna with cheese, kielbasa from deer meat. 

I was so looking forward to fishing, I will not see my trcuk untill the very end of the week.

Offline mluther

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:06 AM »
Sorry to hear that Snapper. I bet with all that freshly made, delicious sounding meat though it wouldn't be to hard to find a ride from someone  ;D Unfortunately I can't get up that way until next weekend, this weekend I'm going into the in-laws or I'd offer to pick you up! Good luck!

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #161 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:48 AM »
It is killing me I may start falling into a state of depression here shortly, seriously though I had plans to take my son out Sunday after church then again Monday we were both off.  So that kicked me in the butt, not to mention whatever blew up was in my front end so they have to take everything off so I am looking at $500.00.  It was not actually the pump. 

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #162 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:23 AM »
That is a real bummer!   :(
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Anyone know what is the best place to get shinners on the weekend, I will be early.  I was going to App. Trail, but I am not sure what time they open up on weekend Mornings?  I am planing to be up there between 7-8am. 

Sorry to hear about those truck issues....I just had to replace one O2 sensor on my truck, but lucky for me a friend did it and I basically had to just pay for the parts...still it was around $250, just for a sensor....

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:31 PM »
To the best of my knowledge App.  trail opens at 7. You should be good to go.  Good Luck!!!!!!!

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #165 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:11 PM »
Thanks...I will just plan to stop there then.  Thanks for the wish of luck, I can use all I can get...I just finished watching an episode of ice men on the sportmen channel...those guys make it look so easy!  I guess that is why they are on the North American Ice Fishing Tour...

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #166 on: Jan 21, 2009, 06:49 AM »
AAAhhh $500.00 and I gott my truck back, that hurts. 

Anderson Appalachian Trails, 1116 New Castle Rd Prospect, overpriced, 724-865-2148, cranky at times, has a limited selection, not real reliable with first hand info.

O’Donnell’s Sports Supply Rt. 19 Portersville 724-368-3418,  they are located JUST off 422 an 19 , real nice people, a good verity or selection, prices are average.

Van’s Sporting Goods 809 Eat Jefferson St Butler PA 724-287-0402 real good guy but semi retired so call first, sells slab bait by the pound or half pound and give a good dozen on smaller bait fish,  he has the basics as far as selection goes.   

Offline Wall_Hanger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Doesn't get any better than this.
« Reply #167 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:47 AM »
Crouz31 I watched that episode last night too.  Bob and I are actually in a shot right at the beginning of the show.  It was hard to tell on there but it rained pretty much all day on Sunday.  Changing to snow briefly.  We did much better on Sunday than Saturday.  Some really great guys and fishermen on that circuit.

Offline mluther

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #168 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:54 AM »

Anderson Appalachian Trails, 1116 New Castle Rd Prospect, overpriced, 724-865-2148, cranky at times, has a limited selection, not real reliable with first hand info.

O’Donnell’s Sports Supply Rt. 19 Portersville 724-368-3418,  they are located JUST off 422 an 19 , real nice people, a good verity or selection, prices are average.

I totally agree with that! I can never understand the crankiness! It really bothers me because everytime I've been in there i get the same "crappie" attitude. I always wonder if he's just upset that we are going fishing and he has to stay and watch his shop  :P

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #169 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:21 AM »
Yes for a business man he has poor people skills and he sell his slabs by the minnow instead of by the dozen or pound.  He stays open by his location only.   I personally will drive past his shop, past the location I’m going to fish to get what I need and drive back and fish.  The shop on 19 is real nice all the way around and Van’s is a great place to go.  It just depends on which way you are heading in from.   I’m not saying do not shop there that choice is yours, his location is great however his selection, pricing , and attitude could use some work.  But there are the local bait shops for you as for their hours you would have to call.  I get my bait in bulk and keep it at home, more often than not these days I find myself using metal and jigging over minnows.     

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #170 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Van has the best prices but don't open till 12 noon and closes at 5. App Trail is right by the lake.

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #171 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:37 AM »
Thanks for all the info...I will call and see what hours those other open...

Wall-hanger, I did like that show, rather than other fishing shows.  Most shows are just a highlight reel of catching fish all day and that show gave a peek into the struggle to catch fish at times.  You could tell those guys are some good guys...That one guy missed a bite and threw his rod and started to curse and then remembered he was on camera...I found that funny and could see myself doing the same thing.  They seemed like any other guys you would see out fishing and not some sudo pop-stars that some other types of pro-aglers turn into....

Thanks Again, See you guys on the lake

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Wall-hanger,

I forgot to ask...How many total teams were in that days tourn?  And were did you guys end up?  Have you done any other circut events with them?  I think that one was in Mich. or Ill? 

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #173 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:25 AM »
I just wanted to say that it is a great day when someone you don't know is willing to step up and help you out when you are stuck!  Yesterday I went down to the Arthur hoping to have a great opening day to my ice season, and due to poor judgement on my part almost ended up not fishing at all.  I had intended to fish west of the 528 bridge out in those deep holes in the channel, but I misjudged the depth of the snow in the parking lot (under the bridge) and promptly got myself stuck.  I spent about 45 minutes trying to dig my tires out enough to get into the ruts someone else had cut, and wasn't making any real progress, when a gentleman came by and offered to pull me out with his 4-wheel drive.  Shortly thereafter he had extracted me from the deep snow and I was able to fish for the remainder of the day (see fishing reports).  I was so grateful that he came by and was willing to put his vehicle at risk (the snow was far deeper than I had thought) to pull me out.

It is the willingness to go out of one's way to help another angler (which they don't know) in need that makes me truly enjoy being a member of the angling community.  I realize not everyone might do this, but my level of appreciation for what this man did for me is truly great!  THANK YOU!!!

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline crouz31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Glad you got out  of the snow OK...  I could never live without 4x4, for fear of what you just went through...or attempted to go through

Things like this are what people need to think of when they see someone in a tight spot...I see a loose dog on the road and I say "what if my dog got loose on me, would I want someone to stop"  See a lady broke down..what if that was my wife?  Etc...Etc...  It is always nice to have help when it is needed and it is not to bad a feeling to give help when you see the chance...

People on this site have been very helpful to me and I find that most people I run into while out fishing are willing to go out of there way to help.  Unless you try to slid in on a secret spot...HAHA, but everything has limits.

I am hoping todays warm weather will melt some of that snow on top of the ice and then with the stiff temp. drop coming tonight thru Sunday, we can get some nice ice conditions...

I am heading out Sunday as I stated in earlier posts..anyone else going to be out there?

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #175 on: Jan 23, 2009, 11:17 AM »
duno yet crouz depends on how the fish are hitting tomorrow, if im there ill let yah know

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #176 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Absolutely you should always do your best to help someone out that is in need of a helping hand.  That was one heck of a perch man!  If it helps your ego out any I get my 4-Wheel drive with off road tires stuck pretty much annually doing something or another.   

With these warm temps today I plan on taking my son out after work for the nonexistent night bite.  Then I work a double Sat. and hope to get out Sunday after church. 

Take care and be safe,

Snapper

Offline mluther

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Amen Simon. I think that most sportsman, hunting and fishing alike, tend to be a hearty breed as far as helping others out especially in times of need. I think this goes even further for those that fish Arthur. Maybe it's the water, idk. IMO this is one of the friendliest bodies of water that I've ever fished. The trend seems to be that everyone on this lake is 99% of the time very friendly and helpful. I think that's why i enjoy fishing it so much. It's always a good time, no hassles and always genuinely nice and friendly fishing alike. Stay safe all and I'll be thinking about you this weekend while i am at my in-laws!!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Amen Simon. I think that most sportsman, hunting and fishing alike, tend to be a hearty breed as far as helping others out especially in times of need. I think this goes even further for those that fish Arthur. Maybe it's the water, idk. IMO this is one of the friendliest bodies of water that I've ever fished. The trend seems to be that everyone on this lake is 99% of the time very friendly and helpful. I think that's why i enjoy fishing it so much. It's always a good time, no hassles and always genuinely nice and friendly fishing alike. Stay safe all and I'll be thinking about you this weekend while i am at my in-laws!!
i Agree i carry 3 tow straps never used them for myself to date pulled 3 guys out 2 in muddy creek and one in porters cove when asked if they could give me something thank GOD i was able to help    mo

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #179 on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:19 PM »
the same thing happened in porters cove it got pounded every day till you couldnt buy a fish the fish are smart you need to find new water that hasnt been overfished the other lakes are producing fish anyone fish the north shore along the bike trail my hot tip of the day as always   mooooooooo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.