The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pike  (Read 25201 times)

Offline BoneHead

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pike
« Reply #210 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:08 PM »
I agree with fhnfool. If I were to catch one in Sebago or Rangely it would not go back in the water. If I was to target Pike in a water that they are established, I would release them back and maybe keep some of the smaller ones to eat.

A lot of good opinions on this thread and I realize that not everyone is going to agree.
Never argue with an idiot, he will just bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #211 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:11 PM »
sooooo, if you were to catch a trout in an established pike water, would you kill it or let it go?
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:15 PM »
sooooo, if you were to catch a trout in an established pike water, would you kill it or let it go?

playing devils advocate or what  ::)

Offline izmirguides

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #213 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:16 PM »
We never kill big fish unless there is a derby or we want to mount it. Eat small fish let the good ones live and get big

Offline BoneHead

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #214 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:28 PM »

If I am fishing for a meal and the trout is legal, I would keep it. I understand your point though.
Never argue with an idiot, he will just bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #215 on: Feb 07, 2008, 04:02 PM »
not that i really care, but it just gets me fired up when someone speaks up out of nowhere on this site and says pike have no place in this state, we should kill every pike caught and bla bla bla. i've said it before, and i'll say it again, just remember that brown trout aren't native to this state, not even the country...
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Feb 07, 2008, 04:33 PM »
, and i'll say it again, just remember that brown trout aren't native to this state

Neither are largemouth or smallmouth bass, I'll happily give up browns if we can get rid of them too.  ;)

Offline BoneHead

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #217 on: Feb 07, 2008, 04:55 PM »
not that i really care, but it just gets me fired up when someone speaks up out of nowhere on this site and says pike have no place in this state, we should kill every pike caught and bla bla bla. i've said it before, and i'll say it again, just remember that brown trout aren't native to this state, not even the country...

No reason to get fired up ;)I understand your point. I also believe pike should have a place in Maine. Why not walleye too. I am also a hunter and would love elk in Maine ;)

it just gets me fired up when someone speaks up out of nowhere on this site and says pike have ............

I am not worthy.

Offline Ice Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Feb 07, 2008, 04:57 PM »
Wow :o I think I finally GET IT----I never realized if i killed a couple of pike or chubs and threw em to an eagle  i was no better than some slob hunter who would gut shoot a deer and leave it to suffer in the woods ---or when I dragged home a few perch and put them in my garden for fertilizer it made me even worse than Mr bucket stocker himself :embarassed:

Now I’m really starting to EAT MY BRAIN when I think about all them live smelt and shiners ive stuck on hooks---oh how they must of suffered----if only there parents had been sticklebacks or snail darters. I think maybe I should just give up fishing altogether----NAHHHH--- I guess I’m just too old to ever GET IT ;)

rude the dude

« Reply #219 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:22 PM »
not that i really care
Ahh--- Are you sure about that? ???

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #220 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:47 PM »
this is my official response on every page of this thread from now on  :-*

what are pike?

ps.

......while we are reminising of the glory days and posting pike pics:   ;D

I DUNNO ABOUT YOU BUT THAT IS 2 YEARS WORTH OF SOME HOGS  ;D ;D  RELEASE EM ALL  >:D

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #221 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:54 PM »
All thumbs? 
It's all about Karma.....

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #222 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:58 PM »
 :woot: :thumbsup: :clap: :roflmao: :tipup:
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #223 on: Feb 07, 2008, 08:01 PM »
You think after the first time he'd remember not to stick his fingers in their mouth.  ;D  

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #224 on: Feb 07, 2008, 10:52 PM »
Catching up with this thread I think the evidence is for the positions put forth by cap, Mike G, myself, Fool and others that believe science and not emotion should prevail in this argument.

There needs to be management of pike. Not management designed to allow pike to out compete and displace cold water fisheries. But management that leads to the best possible outcome for the system, thus the term lemonade. The science is out there we should be using it.

Here is another point I think matters and Mike G and Cap, as Registered Guides, can elaborate. If we do this properly, (scientifically) you create a fishery that would be unrivaled as far as the economic impact in Maine. We would be fishing for stocked cold water fish and self-sustaining hearty pike and bass. Selling the pike and bass makes sense and keeps greenhorn's out of remote Maine.

We keep hearing that brook trout guiding and fishing is going to be the savior of the Maine outdoor economy. We have created lists of all the waters so anyone with a computer and a map can access them now, It used to take a lifetime to acquire this knowledge.  >:( All I hear is we wanna sell, sell, sell that resource.

I say BS. I think that the wild brook trout fishery is too precious and fragile to exploit that way. It will ensure the demise of the brookie fishing if we continue on this road. We WILL love it to death. Try and think ten or twenty years out.

On the other hand, if we manage for a trophy fishery we could generate many more outdoor economy jobs at a lower cost and no further damage to the system in Belgrades. It WAS mostly stabilized. It has the infrastructure, the water quality, the scenery to handle the pressure.

No one in their right mind can say that if more an more people keep hammering the remote, delicate brook trout waters we are not going to see big problems down the road. I don't care what kinda C&R guy you think you are. I have even heard rumblings from guys that do that type of fishing that the fishing is suffering on some of the spots that have turned into some of the "big name" or "hot spots"... Some of them are backing away and looking it this subject again.

The point to this is right now, today we are ruining the fisheries where we are allowing mass slaughter of pike. We are not just ruining the fishery for the pike we are ruining it for all the fish there. You knock it out of whack when you do this. The Belgrades have been balancing out for a long time. The regs were helping the pike stabilize and because of that the cold water species, like the browns are doing better too. Look at the fish that were coming out of there because of the regs. Not just pike but big, big browns. Don't believe me go and watch them at the spillway in the fall.

Think about it ok?

They really are magnificent fish. Imagine one 30# or more? Ben your fish are awesome.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #225 on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:56 AM »

They really are magnificent fish. Imagine one 30# or more? Ben your fish are awesome.
thanks and I really miss 2005-2006........I'm gonna hit it once or twice in March but other than than those days' are over (at least for me).  What a fishery it WAS  :'(

Offline BoneHead

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #226 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:44 AM »
thanks and I really miss 2005-2006........I'm gonna hit it once or twice in March but other than than those days' are over (at least for me).  What a fishery it WAS  :'(

hey bluefin, i know you like your Sebego salmon too...............if you cought a pike there whould you:
A. Take a picture and throw it back?
B. Put your thumb in its mouth, take a picture, then throw it back?
C. Keep the fish?

:laugh:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #227 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:58 AM »
Catching up with this thread I think the evidence is for the positions put forth by cap, Mike G, myself, Fool and others that believe science and not emotion should prevail in this argument.

There needs to be management of pike. Not management designed to allow pike to out compete and displace cold water fisheries. But management that leads to the best possible outcome for the system, thus the term lemonade. The science is out there we should be using it.

Here is another point I think matters and Mike G and Cap, as Registered Guides, can elaborate. If we do this properly, (scientifically) you create a fishery that would be unrivaled as far as the economic impact in Maine. We would be fishing for stocked cold water fish and self-sustaining hearty pike and bass. Selling the pike and bass makes sense and keeps greenhorn's out of remote Maine.

We keep hearing that brook trout guiding and fishing is going to be the savior of the Maine outdoor economy. We have created lists of all the waters so anyone with a computer and a map can access them now, It used to take a lifetime to acquire this knowledge.  >:( All I hear is we wanna sell, sell, sell that resource.

I say BS. I think that the wild brook trout fishery is too precious and fragile to exploit that way. It will ensure the demise of the brookie fishing if we continue on this road. We WILL love it to death. Try and think ten or twenty years out.

On the other hand, if we manage for a trophy fishery we could generate many more outdoor economy jobs at a lower cost and no further damage to the system in Belgrades. It WAS mostly stabilized. It has the infrastructure, the water quality, the scenery to handle the pressure.

No one in their right mind can say that if more an more people keep hammering the remote, delicate brook trout waters we are not going to see big problems down the road. I don't care what kinda C&R guy you think you are. I have even heard rumblings from guys that do that type of fishing that the fishing is suffering on some of the spots that have turned into some of the "big name" or "hot spots"... Some of them are backing away and looking it this subject again.

The point to this is right now, today we are ruining the fisheries where we are allowing mass slaughter of pike. We are not just ruining the fishery for the pike we are ruining it for all the fish there. You knock it out of whack when you do this. The Belgrades have been balancing out for a long time. The regs were helping the pike stabilize and because of that the cold water species, like the browns are doing better too. Look at the fish that were coming out of there because of the regs. Not just pike but big, big browns. Don't believe me go and watch them at the spillway in the fall.

Think about it ok?

JimP. - I enjoyed reading your post this morning and was hoping you wouldn't mind answering a couple of related questions for me:  1)  When Long Pond was opened a few years ago to winter fishing, the MIAA was the driving force with their primary goal as using it as a way to reduce pike numbers.  Were you a member of MIAA at the time and did you or do you feel this was/is the wrong direction / message for the MIAA?  2)  Do you believe that our fisheries people had ZERO say in the recent repeal of the pike regs. and that the change is 100% politically motivated?

Thanks Jim, very interested in hearing your responses to these questions :tipup:

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #228 on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:35 AM »
hey bluefin, i know you like your Sebego salmon too...............if you cought a pike there whould you:
A. Take a picture and through it back?
B. Put your thumb in its mouth, take a picture, then through it back?
C. Keep the fish?

:laugh:

I love my Sebago salmon and togue.  If I caught a pike there, it would end up in my freezer.

Offline Marsh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tools of the Trade
« Reply #229 on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:58 AM »
ben thanks for showing me the ropes and giving me a chanch at one of the big ones!!

those were all awsome fish!!!
Marsh

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #230 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:03 AM »
Gamefisher,

When the MIAA was doing that I was on the sidelines, I really didn't know much about the subject. I was not a member of the MIAA at that time. I can't speak for them but I have discussed it with them at great length since then so I could understand the motivation for that effort. If you want to know what they were thinking at the time you would have to ask the former leadership.

If I was to hazard a guess, I think that their heart was in the right place. They thought it might be a good thing. Who knows? The MIAA has always worked toward creating more opportunity as far as I know.

The last 3 or 4 years I have become more interested in the how and why of fisheries and why things are done. While researching the subject I started to read about Lake Davis in California and all the measures they had taken there, including poisoning the entire drainage 3 times unsuccessfully. How basically there has been no meaningful fishing there for over 10 years because the system is so out of whack, yet the pike seem to survive. I found and read a study from England that discussed the breading and survival of fry under different conditions. Pike is a big ticket item in Europe and they are doing extensive studies, they do not consider it a trash fish but a game fish.

Basically I didn't want to see us repeating what has been done already, elsewhere. You could say my position on this subject has evolved to what it is today. Initially I figured what the heck, maybe we can fish them out. Who knew? As I gathered information, I started to change my mind. As I talked to business owners and guides that were utilizing the trophy fishery that was developing I was surprised at the way it had taken off.

Here is the other thing, and you have to consider this, when I post on the shanty I am just speaking for myself not the MIAA. If the MIAA makes a position statement, I would say that. I offered up my opinion on this just for me. I am certain that there are those in and out of the MIAA that disagree with my opinion. That is ok. As the President I would never put any personal feelings or my personal agenda ahead of the good of the organization.

Lastly, just because myself or others say make lemonade, don't accuse us of being bucket bios or pike lovers. That is a cheap shot and untrue I have never, nor do I know anyone that has or would move fish for any selfish reasons. I primarily fish for trout and salmon anyway. I am just as upset as anyone when I hear about this crap. I guess where I am different is that after I calm down and think about it I am asking what it the best way forward.

The argument that we can't reward the bucket bios is a hollow feel good emotional argument in my opinion. No basis in fact and scientifically unsound. In fact I think what we are doing now will make things worse not better.

I gotta run.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #231 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:15 AM »
Gamefisher,

When the MIAA was doing that I was on the sidelines, I really didn't know much about the subject. I was not a member of the MIAA at that time. I can't speak for them but I have discussed it with them at great length since then so I could understand the motivation for that effort. If you want to know what they were thinking at the time you would have to ask the former leadership.

If I was to hazard a guess, I think that their heart was in the right place. They thought it might be a good thing. Who knows? The MIAA has always worked toward creating more opportunity as far as I know.

The last 3 or 4 years I have become more interested in the how and why of fisheries and why things are done. While researching the subject I started to read about Lake Davis in California and all the measures they had taken there, including poisoning the entire drainage 3 times unsuccessfully. How basically there has been no meaningful fishing there for over 10 years because the system is so out of whack, yet the pike seem to survive. I found and read a study from England that discussed the breading and survival of fry under different conditions. Pike is a big ticket item in Europe and they are doing extensive studies, they do not consider it a trash fish but a game fish.

Basically I didn't want to see us repeating what has been done already, elsewhere. You could say my position on this subject has evolved to what it is today. Initially I figured what the heck, maybe we can fish them out. Who knew? As I gathered information, I started to change my mind. As I talked to business owners and guides that were utilizing the trophy fishery that was developing I was surprised at the way it had taken off.

Here is the other thing, and you have to consider this, when I post on the shanty I am just speaking for myself not the MIAA. If the MIAA makes a position statement, I would say that. I offered up my opinion on this just for me. I am certain that there are those in and out of the MIAA that disagree with my opinion. That is ok. As the President I would never put any personal feelings or my personal agenda ahead of the good of the organization.

Lastly, just because myself or others say make lemonade, don't accuse us of being bucket bios or pike lovers. That is a cheap shot and untrue I have never, nor do I know anyone that has or would move fish for any selfish reasons. I primarily fish for trout and salmon anyway. I am just as upset as anyone when I hear about this crap. I guess where I am different is that after I calm down and think about it I am asking what it the best way forward.

The argument that we can't reward the bucket bios is a hollow feel good emotional argument in my opinion. No basis in fact and scientifically unsound. In fact I think what we are doing now will make things worse not better.

I gotta run.

JimP - thanks for taking the time this morning.  It has always been apparent to me from reading your responses on this topic that you have given the issue a great deal of thought and continue to do so.  And for the record, I don't believe we have any bucket biologists on I.S. -   If you get a second at some point, no hurry, I would love to hear your opinion(not MIAA) on the second question I posed you.  Thanks again Jim.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:28 AM »
JimP - thanks for taking the time this morning.  I would love to hear your opinion(not MIAA) on the second question I posed you.  Thanks again Jim.

2)  Do you believe that our fisheries people had ZERO say in the recent repeal of the pike regs. and that the change is 100% politically motivated?

I'd like to hear that too.... ;D

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #233 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:46 AM »
Perhaps each new place you see pike is like the bucket bios saying well you  this place up, hell lets up their favorite spot. Perhaps you fish wasters will figure this out before someplace real special gets piked, like Rangely. I don't endorse this in any way but I have heard talk like this.

Lastly, just because myself or others say make lemonade, don't accuse us of being bucket bios or pike lovers. That is a cheap shot and untrue I have never, nor do I know anyone that has or would move fish for any selfish reasons. 

This looks like a little backtracking to me....How do you hear the "talk", but don't know anyone that would do such a thing??? ???

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #234 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:51 AM »
How do you hear the "talk", but don't know anyone that would do such a thing??? ???

it never became very public, but last year the MDIFW nabbed a crew of bucket bios at Worthley Pond in Poland with 6 coolers of Pike....18 total.   thanks to some tips, the fish never made it through the ice... ;)

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #235 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:56 AM »
Unfortunately IFAW is a political entity and politics does come into play with the decision making process.  Even if there were someone within IFAW who KNEW unequivocally that pike actually should be managed in order for the coldwater fishery and the pike fishery to sustain itself in a state of dynamic equilibrium, they would still have to swallow that and buck it up if the politicos said..."We ain't gonna manage pike no way no how because it is too much of a hot issue because of bucket bios and invasives."

The political message is "we don't want to manage pike because if we did it sends a message that we are rewarding invasive introductions"....there isn't any science in "sending a message"...but "sending a message" is the reason for how IFAW reacts to the political eb and flow.

In the long run however IFAW and the scientists within must know that time is on their side...Because if the pike and brown fishery tanks (which i think it will, because all "the science" points that way unless you choose to actively manage them) then the "public" will squack and "demand" that their politicos fix it. Then the politicos let the scientists do what they know how to do, the politicians "unshackle" the science and the scientists. The political climate will be different so basically 10 years down the road we go back to what we had a few years ago..I.E. a pike management plan.

There are some of us that think this "Why waste all that time and effort to get to that place when we could be there now if we just would have some foresight and if we allowed science to drive these decisions rather than something as totally foolish as managing a fishery just "to send a message!"

There are lots of people in this state that are very concerned about the resources and the fish and the fisheries. There are those that push agendas by becoming involved in the political process...that is they way it has worked in the past....just look at SAM, TU, the DDAS, BASS, etc. etc....these are all political entities.  

However, there are new fledgling grassroots groups and individuals that are getting together and talking that think that "politics is bullcrap", particularly in light of the fact, that fisheries is a science.  These new groups (which inevitably would have to become somewhat political) are looking at ways to get the politics out and putting the science back into fisheries management. If you are interested in participating in this sort of a movement contact me.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #236 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:57 AM »
it never became very public, but last year the MDIFW nabbed a crew of bucket bios at Worthley Pond in Poland with 6 coolers of Pike....18 total.   thanks to some tips, the fish never made it through the ice... ;)
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. A "crew" at 10 grand apiece is what the state would love to make public. They need to make an example out of somebody. Will probably be me for dumping my leftover smelts down a hole. :-\

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #237 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Unfortunately IFAW is a political entity and politics does come into play with the decision making process.  

Thank you cap... :tipup:

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. A "crew" at 10 grand apiece is what the state would love to make public. They need to make an example out of somebody.

Sorry man....can't tell ya why they didn't put it on the front page of every newspaper in the state

Offline Ice Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #238 on: Feb 08, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Posted by: cap 
Insert Quote
Unfortunately IFAW is a political entity and politics does come into play with the decision making process.  Even if there were someone within IFAW who KNEW unequivocally that pike actually should be managed in order for the coldwater fishery and the pike fishery to sustain itself in a state of dynamic equilibrium, they would still have to swallow that and buck it up if the politicos said..."We ain't gonna manage pike no way no how because it is too much of a hot issue because of bucket bios and invasives."

The political message is "we don't want to manage pike because if we did it sends a message that we are rewarding invasive introductions"....there isn't any science in "sending a message"...but "sending a message" is the reason for how IFAW reacts to the political eb and flow.

In the long run however IFAW and the scientists within must know that time is on their side...Because if the pike and brown fishery tanks (which i think it will, because all "the science" points that way unless you choose to actively manage them) then the "public" will squack and "demand" that their politicos fix it. Then the politicos let the scientists do what they know how to do, the politicians "unshackle" the science and the scientists. The political climate will be different so basically 10 years down the road we go back to what we had a few years ago..I.E. a pike management plan.

There are some of us that think this "Why waste all that time and effort to get to that place when we could be there now if we just would have some foresight and if we allowed science to drive these decisions rather than something as totally foolish as managing a fishery just "to send a message!"

There are lots of people in this state that are very concerned about the resources and the fish and the fisheries. There are those that push agendas by becoming involved in the political process...that is they way it has worked in the past....just look at SAM, TU, the DDAS, BASS, etc. etc....these are all political entities. 

However, there are new fledgling grassroots groups and individuals that are getting together and talking that think that "politics is bull**censored**", particularly in light of the fact, that fisheries is a science.  These new groups (which inevitably would have to become somewhat political) are looking at ways to get the politics out and putting the science back into fisheries management. If you are interested in participating in this sort of a movement contact me.

I think there is a little revisionist history going on here---dishonest spin. IFAW fishery biologists decided to pull trophy regulations off the Belgrade lakes not the politicians and the biologists have said so. The scientists saw the Belgrades were losing the cold water fishery and attributed it mostly to the exploding pike population--- things were getting out of whack---the thought was if we can control pike--- they knew they couldn’t  eliminate pike---but if they could knock the numbers of pike back we could still mange for a coldwater fishery. Now it seems to be working but it needs more time. If you want to believe cap and JimP you can--- but I believe the biologist in charge of the Belgrades, Bob Van Ripper— Give him a call 547-5300---he will tell you who is full of BS.

It now seems cap and JimP want to put the political pressure on IFAW to manage pike the way cap and JimP see fit. Its called being guilty of the same sin you accuse others of.

Its just my humble opinon, but I’d rather have the scientists managing the fisheries than cap and JimP.

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #239 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:04 PM »
There were regulations in place as recently as a few years ago.  The pike have been there for 30 years and the population is just now exploding ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.