The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pike  (Read 25220 times)

rude the dude

Re: Pike
« Reply #150 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:40 PM »
t.

Yes, the introduction of pike to the belgrades, however many years ago, had a major impact on the population of everything else, but there is still more quality gamefish in that area than just about anywhere else in the state.

brown trout and pike yes. Brook trout and salmon no.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:43 PM »
 Is this a new direction for MIAA---pike protection in Long Lake ???

talk about a spin....where did you ever see me say that??   And whatever MIAA did in the past has absolutely no bearing on what I am about or what my intentions are in the MIAA.  I have absolutely no say in what the MDIFW does for fishery management, nor do I claim to be in a position to offer any assistance in what they ought to do. All I'm saying is that there's no way to eradicate the pike from the belgrades, so why not take the lemon and make lemonade.

If you want to discuss what I'm about and where I stand as far as being involved in the MIAA, either contact me privately or read my March Newsletter in the Outdoor Magazine or online at our website.

although that's gonna require you to join, so privately may be your only option...... ;)

rude the dude

« Reply #152 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:45 PM »
The pike definitely had an impact on the salmon there, but do you think the fact that the alewives screwed up the forage base and the fact that there were 100 vehicles there killing the fish had anything to do with it?  I think the decline of Long Pond is due to a variety of stuff - AND, they only stock about 1000 salmon in there each year too.  Back in the hey day, when the smelts were everywhere, they were putting a LOT of fish in that lake.  I really miss trolling there (I use to live on that lake), but I do like to pike fish too  ;D
even in the hey day they were only 2200 a year. 2 fish 14 inch limit.  Then after the decline started they went to 1 fish 16 inch. (plus no ice fishing) and it still had no effect.  The pike ate the bass perch and then the smelts.  Then vola, theres alwifes. Hmm. As bio. jim lucas says though, its a political issue.Think if instead of those 1000 salmon they put 1000 rainbows, something that can acctually feed on alwives. oh i love pike fishing too i have nothing against them.  I actually am going tommorrow. Just picked up some new leader mat today. ;D ;D

Offline Ice Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Depends on which pike you are talking about removing. Since the MIAA worked to open Long Lake to ice fishing there has been a ton of information and more studies done that indicate that this approach that you advocate is the wrong way to go. In fact the approach that is currently being attempted, even thought it is shown to be the wrong approach, will make the problem worse, much worse infact.

Excuse me! who is doing the spinning ??? I was at that hearing in Skowhegan 4 years ago. I supported ice fishing in Long to remove pike. Paul Jacques spoke for it. Long Lake was to have ice fishing for 3 years ---last year it was extented because it was having some success.

rude the dude

« Reply #154 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:51 PM »
Lets not confuse long lake in st agatha with long POND in belgrade. I think thats where were talking about right? :-\

Offline Red

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Julie
« Reply #155 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:06 PM »

Fishinfool aren’t you the VP of MIAA ??? Did you know MIAA worked with the DIF@W to get Long Lake opened to ice fishing in order to REMOVE pike to help improve the salmon fishery ???

Wow, I see absolutely NO REASON to start personal attacks here - this is getting ugly.  JimP has some very logical examples of some studies that are ongoing.  He is trying to educate everyone as to what occurrs when all pike caught are left for dead.  Nobody has acknowledged this - I will though - thankyou Jim for your efforts and the information you have provided.  Also thankyou Scott for your efforts at MIAA. 

This issue continues to be controversial, I understand there are different opinions.  But let's all be adults here and quit on the finger pointing and personal attacks - we're all here because we share a common interest - ICE FISHING!!!  ;D :tipup:  Let's not lose sight of that.

Julie ;)

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #156 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:13 PM »
Do you deny that there are studies that indicate that removing the apex pike is actually detrimental to the stated goals we can all agree on should be control of the pike to lessen the impact they have on the watershed?

I know full well what went on getting Long Lake opened. I support fishing for them but we should be targeting the smaller ones, not the big ones. Them big ones eat more pike than any you can catch and kill. That is not my opinion that is what the studies in England and elsewhere showed.

Do you agree that after we learn new things we should perhaps evolve our programs to include this new information or are we going to keep screwing up the balance in the system so we can have the perception that we can "punish" these bucket bios? Guess what, I don't like it but you screw up long, sabattus and these same idiots are gonna keep moving pike to new waters. You think they care what you and I want?

The folks saying the salmon were screwed up because of the pike ought to look at the time line, the salmon fishing was declining and tanking in those lakes long before the pike became the poster boy for what was wrong. I sincerely believe that one of the reasons that folks started to stock the place themselves is that the fishing had sucked there for far too long.

If you think Pike can't live along side of trout and salmon... Take a trip to Canada... They seem to have it figured out.

Edited to add, Julie is right... I will let this go. I will go back through my bookmarks when I get home and see if I can find the actual studies I read last year and post them for anyone to read for themselves. I am here to make friends, this isn't personal for me. I would fish with rude or icetime or anyone that loves this sport as much as I do.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:14 PM »
WOW i just wanted people to stop waisting a good fishery.maybe some time averyone can se eye to eye and respect every fishery ???

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #158 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:35 PM »
  we're all here because we share a common interest - ICE FISHING!!!  ;D :tipup:  Let's not lose sight of that.

Julie ;)

notta chance Red, I spoke my peace....can't wait till mid March..... ;)

Offline Red

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Julie
« Reply #159 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Yep me too,  ;D 

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #160 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:40 PM »
nicely said Red! 8) Fish on

rude the dude

« Reply #161 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:50 PM »
 :-[ijust when it seemed like it was done. :'( :'( :'(

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #162 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:57 PM »
Thanks rude, just the big ones.... They really will help control the population.

I'm sorry and I said I would shut up. But the MIAA has been infiltrated by the bucket brigade? That is a pretty serious charge. It is also bull crap and a infantile cheap shot with no foundation in fact.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #163 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:27 PM »
This thread is really coming undone and I have nothing to do with it. ;D ;D ;D

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #164 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:12 AM »
Cause I've yet to see a Crappie with a 9lb trout down it's gullet.  ;)

I've never seen anything in Maine with a 9 pound trout down it's throat.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen many 9 pound trout in this state either ::)

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #165 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:16 AM »
Don't even pretend that the MIAA's new direction isn't going to be focused on pike and only pike. It would be the MIAA's dream to have intense protection of pike statewide, making these fish the dominant species in Maine. The ice anglers association used to stand for true Maine sportsman values, keeping in line with our centuries long heritage. Pike are not native to this state, this is not Canada, and they are affecting our lakes here different. Its a real shame that so many ice anglers are becoming passive on the pike issue because there are now so many pike enthusiasts around. It seems the bucket brigaders have infiltrated the MIAA at some level, and those of us who are vehemently opposed to the regulation of northern pike have become the minority.

Are you a member of MIAA??  If not, how do you know what the He** you're talking about?

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #166 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:18 AM »
Don't even pretend that the MIAA's new direction isn't going to be focused on pike and only pike. It would be the MIAA's dream to have intense protection of pike statewide, making these fish the dominant species in Maine. 

that's the most MISLEADING post of this whole thread   ::)  ......I suggest you get a clue before you start blowing wind like that.

Are you a member of MIAA??  If not, how do you know what the He** you're talking about?

thanks Jim.... :tipup:

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #167 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:21 AM »
Those of you people who are all about catching and releasing pike are the same fishermen who catch a 12" inch salmon and then proceed to tear the hook out from its throat, then you "release" the salmon back into the hole, nice and bloody. You scream that the pike are hear to stay and yet you b***h and moan when you see a dead one on the ice. Stop protecting your precious pike and let each to his own. My only gripe is that if you are going to ice  a pike or any other fish, kill it real quick and don't let it suffer.

This is quite a broad and moronic assumption.

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #168 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:24 AM »
How do you like this

Guess what?  This big, fat, egg laden female was released as will any other trophy fish I catch; it doesn't matter if it's a 5 pound brookie or a 7 pound salmon.  I'll take a picture of it and back in the water it goes.

Offline wickedgoodatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Feb 06, 2008, 02:29 PM »
Nice fish!!!  Nice C&R!!

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Offline skoglund

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Feb 06, 2008, 04:56 PM »
 nice fish did anyone see the bald eagles on sabattus on sunday they were happy to see a free meal on the ice

Offline I walk on water!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Atleast you put it back. It's good to take a picture and then release it so it will eat smaller fish, get bigger and that way someone else will catch it and hopefully release it as well. Some people like to catch pike some like to catch bass and some like trout. We should all be able to fish and be happy together

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #172 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:23 PM »
nice fish did anyone see the bald eagles on sabattus on sunday they were happy to see a free meal on the ice

Ya im sure they ate all those pike "ya rite"

Offline Simmy04548

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:38 PM »
 ;D Awesome pike! Thanks for given someone else a chance at catching her also.
In the land of the blind. The one  eyed man is KING 

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #174 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:54 PM »
what are pike?

ps.

Chilly......while we are reminising of the glory days and posting pike pics:   ;D

I DUNNO ABOUT YOU BUT THAT IS 2 YEARS WORTH OF SOME HOGS  ;D ;D  RELEASE EM ALL  >:D

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #175 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Hey Ben,

How many times you gonna stick your thumb in their mouth before you learn?  ;D ;D ;D

Some real nice fish there Ben  :tipup:

Offline Red

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Julie
« Reply #176 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:19 PM »
How much did that sucka weigh!!! and how long was it???  Wow, that thing is HUGE!!

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:20 PM »
We cought a couple hogs sunday still waiting for pic and they went back as well.

Nice fish bluefin

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:22 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

You are absolutely too much buddy!!..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Simmy04548

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:30 PM »
Beautiful fish bluefin. its good they were returned , I think if they were laying on the ice it would scare all the eagles south!!
In the land of the blind. The one  eyed man is KING 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.