The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pike  (Read 25204 times)

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
Re: Pike
« Reply #240 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:40 PM »
I don't have the time now to write a proper response but I think that cap pretty much covered it.

Ice Time... Respectfully you are wrong once again. TU, DDAS and certain legislators have been pushing IF&W hard on this issue. I have seen the e-mails and letters. I talk to people too. Some of this correspondence has even been posted on Butchies site. You say this new non management is working. BS again. This is the first year of the program with no size and bag limits on pike. If you are seeing better fishing, and you are, it was a result of what was done years ago when the pike management plan was in place. You are not going to see the results of this for a few years, my concern is by then it will take years to correct the problem.

I don't want to put up with bad fishing, that is all I am saying.

And since we are asking questions, and at least I answer. Could you go back and answer some for me? What about the economic benefit to the areas effected? What about the science? What about Davis Lake in California? What about the studies in England and elsewhere? What about the selling of the brook trout that the  some seem hell bent on doing, what about publishing lists and locations of WBT waters?

You never seem to respond? All you do is attack and attack.

Personally, I think your behavior is boorish. Talking with you never seems like a conversation, it feels like an inquisition.  You hide behind your screen name, when obviously you are a player in this. Don't you think it is time to come out from behind the curtain and be straight with everyone here?

As to the IF&W bios... I encourage you to call them. They are a diverse group and sometimes have differing opinions and each would do different things if they had total control. They don't. IF&W has political considerations as well as scientific ones. With any state agency that has to please the public, they try to please as many as they can. They do a good job with what they have to work with.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #241 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:47 PM »
well said jim, well said
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #242 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:06 PM »
Does anyone think they will ever put regs on pike?Its obvious that theres allot of us that do care what happens to that fishery i do.Ive spoke to a bio every year and they say the same thing if you like to pike fish and want it to stay around release the big females and males but if they look unhealthy get them out so that's what i do.

Offline Clearwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #243 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:28 PM »
JimP, how can you continue to spew your BS and then accuse others of attacking and hiding behind their screen names? You have laid personal attacks on me more than once on this thread, so don't pretend your the all mighty gentle one on ice shanty, with your reports from England and California. Just because you've read some decades old reports on pike management in Europe doesn't mean your an expert either buddy. You talk like your God, just because you can spew some long-winded response to everyone on here who are against northern pike. Become a little open minded and realize that Maine is a state in its own, with a completely different aquatic ecosystem than in Europe or California, and certainly a different breed of people. It doesn't seem to me that it is time to manage pike in Maine, they are clearly doing fine without regulations in place. I can't grasp the idea that our economy will boom if we start managing pike say in the Belgrades, and the average pike size rises 2 pounds. The pike are here to stay, and everyone knows it, regulations won't help, there are already enormous ones in Long Lake.

Oh and by the way, what happened to my post on this thread a few pages back? Hmm, three cheers for free speech on the Maine Board!

Offline Clearwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #244 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:34 PM »
Yeah that's something to be real proud of FOOL.

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #245 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:36 PM »
Let's not make this thread nasty.  We've all moved beyond that.
Too much good info being shared here.
Speak your peace, but keep it in the spirit of the Shanty. 
When you get pissed, go drill a hole  ;D and cool off.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #246 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Yeah that's something to be real proud of FOOL.
:nono: :nono:Thats not nice

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #247 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Clearwater, we'll have to agree to disagree. That's ok... Can't remember the personal attacks that you are referring too... I do know that I have been accused of all kinds of sins in this thread. Pro pike, bucket bio to name two. I laugh it off. Like Mike said, drill a few holes. I want to make this clear. I am attacking the idea's and concepts you and others are putting out. It isn't and never is, personal.

FWIW, The information I am talking about is not "decades old" Lake Davis in California was poisoned for the third time last year. Some of the other stuff is fairly recent too.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #248 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Read this report from Alaska.........see what they think of their beloved pike. I think they are probably more geographically and economically comparable to Maine than California or Europe. It looks like they don't want them either.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/pike/pike_management_plan.pdf

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #249 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:19 PM »
JimP, how can you continue to spew your BS and then accuse others of attacking and hiding behind their screen names? You have laid personal attacks on me more than once on this thread, so don't pretend your the all mighty gentle one on ice shanty, with your reports from England and California. Just because you've read some decades old reports on pike management in Europe doesn't mean your an expert either buddy. You talk like your God, just because you can spew some long-winded response to everyone on here who are against northern pike. Become a little open minded and realize that Maine is a state in its own, with a completely different aquatic ecosystem than in Europe or California, and certainly a different breed of people. It doesn't seem to me that it is time to manage pike in Maine, they are clearly doing fine without regulations in place. I can't grasp the idea that our economy will boom if we start managing pike say in the Belgrades, and the average pike size rises 2 pounds. The pike are here to stay, and everyone knows it, regulations won't help, there are already enormous ones in Long Lake.

Oh and by the way, what happened to my post on this thread a few pages back? Hmm, three cheers for free speech on the Maine Board!

the idea behind managing pike is not to make sure they survive, they do that just fine on their own, duh. people want to manage pike so that other species have a chance.....so pike and other species can co-exist in the same bodies of water. might want to get some facts straight before you accuse and attack people.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline hitchcos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #250 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:23 PM »
I think its funny that reports from the 50's are cited throughout this report.  How about some modern ecology/biology management ideas.....

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #251 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:31 PM »
Always the same folks make it personal and nasty...Why?

It really is quite juvenile...

Anyway...

I ignored the original nastiness and I now have been accused of rewriting some sort of revisionist history as it concerns pike and thier management in Maine...

????  Is that so????

I say no way...and I offer the folks here at ice shanty the facts...which they can see for themselves and they can decide for themselves just who is full of bull and who isn't.

Here it is from the horses mouth...I.E. The scientific consensus at IFAW before politics was interjected into the pike discussion by TU DDAS SAM ETC....

VOILA  http://www.maine.gov:8080/ifw/fishing/species/management_plans/northernpike.pdf

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #252 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:32 PM »
Does anyone think they will ever put regs on pike?Its obvious that theres allot of us that do care what happens to that fishery i do.Ive spoke to a bio every year and they say the same thing if you like to pike fish and want it to stay around release the big females and males but if they look unhealthy get them out so that's what i do.

There has been regulations on pike for a long time in the Belgrades.  That is what all these posts are about.  The regulations were just dropped this year.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #253 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:33 PM »
As voracious predators, pike are highly dependent on the
availability of prey (Diana 1979). Nilsson and Bronmark (2000) suggested that prey selection by
pike is dependent on gape size, prey vulnerability, intraspecific interactions, and behavioral
preferences. During periods of prey shortage, pike become cannibalistic

Looks like this supports what I am saying...

This is misleading anyway, this is a paper that discusses the problem and lots of possibilities. Pretty short on any actual  methods that would be sucessful at eradicating pike. In fact I love this...

1.8 Plan Goals and Objectives
This plan initiates ADF&G’s efforts to prevent, manage, and control pike in waters in the state
where pike are not native.

Nice try, even Alaska thinks management is a key element.

Offline pikehater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #254 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Read this report from Alaska.........see what they think of their beloved pike. I think they are probably more geographically and economically comparable to Maine than California or Europe. It looks like they don't want them either.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/pike/pike_management_plan.pdf

This good stuff is only in the first two pages.
“Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not fish they are after.”

Offline pikehater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #255 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:46 PM »
This good stuff is only in the first two pages.

The proliferation of pike within these areas has become a fishery management concern
because pike are voracious predators and prey heavily on juvenile salmonids. Outside its native
range, pike have the potential to interfere with ecosystem function and destroy economically
important fisheries.
Introduction of invasive, non-indigenous species can cause significant environmental and
economic damage (Ruiz and Carlton 2003). This includes depredation on native species, shifts
in trophic structure and nutrient cycling, competition for space, habitat alteration, disease
transmission, hybridization, loss of biodiversity, and declines in fisheries
Ratt (1988) summarized over 20 papers on the prey consumption efficiency of pike. In general,
juvenile pike have a food conversion rate of 0.33, but this utilization rate declines with age.
Conversion rates of adult pike have been reported at 0.18 in favorable environments, meaning
that for every pound of weight gained, the pike must consume 5.5 pounds of prey. Food
requirements vary with temperature, but there are significant increases in metabolism in late
spring as fish recover from spawning activities (Johnson 1966). This is concurrent with the
spring emergence of salmon fry from redds.
Northern pike are known to consume large portions of stocked and migrating juvenile salmonids.
Petrvozvanskiy et al. (1988) showed that pike account for approximately 35% of stocked
Atlantic salmon smolt mortality in the Keret River in Russia, and Larson (1985) documented a
50% loss of migrating Baltic salmon from pike predation.
“Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not fish they are after.”

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #256 on: Feb 08, 2008, 03:02 PM »
Northern pike are known to consume large portions of stocked and migrating juvenile salmonids.
That's exactly the problem with the illegal stockings!  Bingo!

Maine is, for the most part, a put and take fishery.  See the pike and bass spawn naturally and thrive here.  The trout and salmon are artificially inseminated in a box at a hatchery, then put in the lakes for us to try and catch (that way we have to buy a license).  So the fish born and raised in a box at a hatchery have no chance against wild fish. That really is the root of the issue.  Wild invasive vs.. hatchery raised fish.  I have no idea what the answer is - but I'm gonna try and catch them all!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #257 on: Feb 08, 2008, 03:20 PM »
this is my official response on every page of this thread from now on  :-*

what are pike?

ps.

......while we are reminising of the glory days and posting pike pics:   ;D

I DUNNO ABOUT YOU BUT THAT IS 2 YEARS WORTH OF SOME HOGS  ;D ;D  RELEASE EM ALL  >:D

Offline bassmasteresm07

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish, Forced to work.
« Reply #258 on: Feb 08, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Saying kill em all isn't the right solution, if you don't like em than don't fish for them, imo.
 ;D
Julie
yeah but if we dont kill em idiots go around and put them in every other pond and lake in maine which aint helping our trout and salmon population. I to like to catch them but they are everywhere if people would have just left them in certain ponds and lakes it would be fine, but people dont.
Lifes a Lake, So shut up and Fish it!
I GET MY SUPPLIES AT MASTERBAIT AND TACKEL

Offline Clearwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #259 on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:23 PM »
I want to know why different posts on this thread just seem to be disappearing. Who has the power to do that and why would you?? It happened as recent as today, and by doing so it made me look like a fool. Very strange indeed. >:(

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #260 on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:45 PM »
I or any other moderator or administrator have the authority to remove posts...if youre posts is a personal attack or flaming of another mmeber it may be removed. vulgarity or profanity may be another reason. this thread seems to be full of posts worthy of removal but i hardly have the time to go through 18 pages of redundant posts... a simple search will bring you to last years version or the year before that. either way same thread same argument keep it civil or watch it dissappear  :-\

Offline Turnbuckle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #261 on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:48 PM »
It's not strange, it's happened to me over the years. I have opted to not respond to the political topics for that reason.

I have had several conversations where I have debated non factual information that was presented as fact and my posts just seem to disapear. Things are hand picked if you go against the grain I have noticed. You are allowed to be attacked and insulted publicly if you are not in the "in crowd" I guess.

I had a conversation with a moderator last year, when there were some non factual topics started with absolute bogus information then intentianally locked to prevent responses from people that didn't agree. The response I got, was that they didn't like those topics that could open a can of worms. Instead of deleting it, it just sat out there for people to take as gospel.

You are better off not to get into any sort of conversation that might go against the grain I have learned. More of a put your head down, and just listen.

Like Billditrite just stated he doesn't have the energy to remove all posts that seem like an attack, so things get hand picked. It's funny how some people's posts never get picked however. Funny ain't it son?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #262 on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:54 PM »

Like Billditrite just stated he doesn't have the energy to remove all posts that seem like an attack, so things get hand picked. It's funny how some people's posts never get picked however. Funny ain't it son?

energy? please show me where i said energy?please dont put words in my mouth. if you feel a post is attacking you in some way there is a report to moderator option on the bottom corner of every post...the ones that get reported get dealt with first. If i miss them i apologize but just report it and i will get to it...if you dont report it it may get buried fast.

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #263 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:19 PM »
Yep, You can tell by my member name that I'm an "out of state" er. I can read tho' & have been following this topic as well as other topics like it around IS. I am going to put  in my $0.50 in, since I think I do have a way to alleviate "part" of the troubles I see being discussed here.

I am enclosing a "suggestion that I made in another thread & I think it is just as appropriate here as It was there.

From General chat: "Help Save the Eagles"
Maineduckhunter,

This is not an attack on on your practice of leaving what you believe are "trash" fish. You have your opinion, you aren't breaking any laws from what I understand. So This is not a "bashing" post.

I don't like the idea of leaving fish on the ice. I believe that if I catch a fish & I am not going to take it home to utilize it, it has to go back in the water. I used to put  what "I"  deemed "trash" fish, on shore ta "feed the coons" in open water season, before it became illegal here in Minnesota to do that.But , I never left fish on the ice , other that a stray dead baitfish.

I have a suggestion to ya. Rather than leaving those fish on the ice, why don't you & your family locate some folks around your area that would love to have some fresh fish, & give them the ones you don't want. I do this on occasion. I
 have friends who are too old to go out fishing anymore & when I have more than I need , or even if I know they'd like some fresh fish. I give them a few so the can enjoy the "free meal". I got my fishing in, & did a "good deed" ta boot.
     This would help keep those who don't like your current practice from bashing ya, & you wouldn't have any "PETA" types gathering ammo for bashing us sportsman.
   Remember this is just a suggestion....

BTW, I am an avid sportsman,  & hunting ducks/geese is one of my favorite pastimes. I don't keep coots(Mudducks), although some folks do & like them.
But when they fly by, I don't shoot them & leave them lay for varmints. They go on they're merry way, that way I don't waste hard earned time & $$ harvesting them. But, If one of the party screws up & shoots one. They eather eat it, or it will go to someone that we know who does.
    I just threw that in there, as an analogy to my suggestion. As I said , not a "bash"

Good luck. I wish ya well!

This won't solve the problem in its' entirety, but If all of you who wish to reduce the populations of invasive fish (in your area) , why not do like I mentioned above. There are those who would love it. It is also becoming acceptable in many states incuding Minn. , to give(donate) your venison to Foodshelves to help feed those in need. How about the Local VFW/Amer.Legion, or a Nursing home. Maybe they'd like to receive a bunch of donated fish to have a "fish-fry". I'm sure it would take some coordination, but it would look a whole lot better to others that "Sportsmen" were contributing to the rest of society, & not just a bunch leaving stuff out on the lake or in the Field.

I'm sure you get my drift on this. Give it a try. Ya might like it. ;)

& one more point, although I know this post is long.
Here in Minn. we have had Native populations of pike/walleye/Musky all co-existing in lakes that also have lake trout/brookies/Et al. (Salmonids), & they are coexisting to the benefit of quite a few fishermen. & I believe that we have the 2nd largest population of Loons (Fish eaters) behind Alaska. Not sure about the Eagles & other wildlife, but they all seem to do quite well on their own & haven't yet caused us any grief.

'Nuff said by me. Thanks for your patience from an "out o'  stater". No harm meant here, Not preachin' just noticed that alot that  I saw was discussing the problem & not the solution...
Thanks  :D
Go fish! ;)

- My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline Clearwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Ahh well now I see. Either way, fish on!

Offline Ice Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #265 on: Feb 09, 2008, 08:53 AM »
I don't have the time now to write a proper response but I think that cap pretty much covered it.

Ice Time... Respectfully you are wrong once again. TU, DDAS and certain legislators have been pushing IF&W hard on this issue. I have seen the e-mails and letters. I talk to people too. Some of this correspondence has even been posted on Butchies site. You say this new non management is working. BS again. This is the first year of the program with no size and bag limits on pike. If you are seeing better fishing, and you are, it was a result of what was done years ago when the pike management plan was in place. You are not going to see the results of this for a few years, my concern is by then it will take years to correct the problem.

I don't want to put up with bad fishing, that is all I am saying.

And since we are asking questions, and at least I answer. Could you go back and answer some for me? What about the economic benefit to the areas effected? What about the science? What about Davis Lake in California? What about the studies in England and elsewhere? What about the selling of the brook trout that the  some seem hell bent on doing, what about publishing lists and locations of WBT waters?

You never seem to respond? All you do is attack and attack.

Personally, I think your behavior is boorish. Talking with you never seems like a conversation, it feels like an inquisition.  You hide behind your screen name, when obviously you are a player in this. Don't you think it is time to come out from behind the curtain and be straight with everyone here?

As to the IF&W bios... I encourage you to call them. They are a diverse group and sometimes have differing opinions and each would do different things if they had total control. They don't. IF&W has political considerations as well as scientific ones. With any state agency that has to please the public, they try to please as many as they can. They do a good job with what they have to work with.

I probably should just let this fade but since you JimP have said a lot directed personally at me I’ll respond ---you  say I only attack and don’t have a conversation with you---what I try to do is address the ideas and opinions--- in all due respect, when I’m called a hypocrite or boorish I try to avoid responding in kind and stick to the subject---- opinions on pike.

Paul Jacques and John Boland---the top fishery biologist-- have both said the Long Pond plan seems to be working and that’s why it has been extend beyond the  3 years it has been in place. Secondly lets give the new management time to work on other Belgrades before we say it isn’t going to work. It seems you are afraid it will decrease pike and improve the coldwater fishery---just what it is intended to do by the way.As you said there is only so much biomass in a lake ---by removing a pound of pike it leaves room for another pound of salmon or trout.

"What about the economic benefit to the areas effected?"-- Do we really want to use illegal extremely invasive pike as an economic model for Maine ??? If a few people start to make money on pike, how long before others in other areas of the state use that economic model? In my opinion it would be an invitation for more illegal Stocking.

"What about the science?"-- In my opinion we should let the scientists we pay to manage fisheries determine what’s best for Maine. Thats not to say fishermen should not have some input but we should allow our biologists to sort out the science as it apllies to Maine.

"What about Davis Lake in California? What about the studies in England and elsewhere?"-- This is Maine not California or England. Our Lake systems are different in Maine. Haven’t you and your friends always said that Maine isn’t Montana when it comes to how we manage fisheries?

"What about the selling of the brook trout that some seem hell bent on doing, what about publishing lists and locations of WBT waters?"-- What does this have to do with pike? Maybe you should start a different thread.

As far as you needing to know my identity what does it matter? I don’t have the need to know who you are or who cap is or any one else on IS to discuss ideas and opinions. Besides what if my boss was a pike lover like you? ;D

Offline Icefish_master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have a crappie day!
« Reply #266 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:13 PM »
dont intend to stir the pot but this is still a cool video.

Just call my name 'cause I'll hear you scream MASTER! MASTER!

Offline wickedgoodatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #267 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:25 PM »

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Offline Icefish_master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have a crappie day!
« Reply #268 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:36 PM »
i guess i should include this one too.

&feature=related
Just call my name 'cause I'll hear you scream MASTER! MASTER!

Offline GlovelessPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #269 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:38 PM »
 While you guys have your problems with pike infestations, the established populations of trophy pike you do have are creating a buzz with fisherman down here in MA and other places I'm sure. When people want big pike they have few options in this state but they are willing to travel a few hours and buy bait and licenses from dealers in your state. Somewhere that must trickle down to local business owners. Im surprised no one has opened a bed and breakfast/bait shop/guide service for these out of state pike fishermen. Sounds like a good way to make a living to me. I'd pay to have a place to stay right on the lake so I wouldn't have to drive 2hrs home after getting up at 3am and fishing hard all day.
How can you be icefishing if you're sitting at your computer???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.