Author Topic: ice flies  (Read 4900 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ice flies
« on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:50 AM »
What is all of your opinions on these incredilbe hooks for hard water fishing? The few people that I know that use them catch more, bigger and faster fish than anyone else in the same area. I know that there are some oldtime secrets that need to be shared with the other members so we can all get a few more. Please share ----maybe I should add that these are fished with no weight or bait, on a long rod with a spring bobber.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice flies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:15 PM »
Are you referring to a specific kind of ice fly? I like different ice jigs for different species and situations. For example, I prefer the smallest swedish pimple tipped with a minnow head for first ice jumbo perch. I like VIBE's on ice that has moderate current under it for walleye's. Jigging Raps on impoundments for Eye's or just plain jigheads with a minnow reversed. If I had to pick only one ice jig for general fishing, I would have to take a marmooska. What ice fly are you eluding to. I'm always interested in trying the "magic" lure!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:18 PM »
What is all of your opinions on these incredilbe hooks for hard water fishing? The few people that I know that use them catch more, bigger and faster fish than anyone else in the same area. I know that there are some oldtime secrets that need to be shared with the other members so we can all get a few more. Please share ----maybe I should add that these are fished with no weight or bait, on a long rod with a spring bobber.

I fish them on a 51" total length rod that is very flimsy.  The rod has a spring bobber attached and the flies are tied with various weight to alter the sink rates.  They can be fished with bait or without and often times the bigger fish come with no bait.  I fish with 'line' that is rated at 1# or less and the rod absorbs the shock of the fish when it lunges etc.  I tie my own flies and have outfished people within 15 feet of me 10 to 1 using them vs. other lures (teardrops, small jigs, etc).  Takes a while to get used to, but worth it.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Thanks jimmy, I could see that there was some technigue behind this type of fishing . Thanks for sharing. I guess being farther away from your hole probably works well especially in shallower waters.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Hi Gang!
 I have some RAID ;D for those ice flies in your tent! :o :o :o ;)
  Da-Roc
  I like pastics better!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Thanks jimmy, I could see that there was some technigue behind this type of fishing . Thanks for sharing. I guess being farther away from your hole probably works well especially in shallower waters.

Not Jimmy, but sometimes with a little stronger line (2#)  and shorter rod, we sight fish with the bright colored flies.  Alot of times they will suck it in and spit it back out without even moving your line or spring bobber.  When sight fishing you can catch these sneaky ones and they are usually the bigger fish.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2008, 02:38 PM »
2# floro and a little  ice fly can be the ticket when fish go neutral or just shut down. just get the head of the fly bouncing and you've got it down. sight fishing is the best for the "fun" factor but man it can be addictive.

i find plastics have a little to much action for negative fish and i can't get the  "thump" i need to get their attention.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2008, 02:57 PM »
I like ice flies when the fish are slow, but when they are active i like heavy jigs, gotta get back down.......in a hurry.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2008, 03:34 PM »
If you don't have a shanty or just didn't bring it the wind can really frustrate you with the lighter flies.

But they are still what I go to when I'm looking for a bite ;D
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:31 PM »
i got frustrated with the wind factor so i make some that are like fishing with .....bowling balls ;D   wax worm posted them in the jig making section for me.

i like the heavier flies as i get alot of bigger fish that just "lift" the bait and the spring bobber comes up.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Can somebody let me know were to get these ice flies online? 
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:03 PM »
Can somebody let me know were to get these ice flies online? 

I don't know if you can buy the kind we are talking about online.  Most are hand tied and not easy to mass produce (unless you are A-Bomb  ;D).  The flies I tie are weighted with lead wire and a weave of four strand floss.  They take about 10 minutes each to make, although I get faster every day.  Some of the local tackle shops carry them, but I have found the ones I tie last longer than the ones I used to buy.  The purchased ones seem to unravel after several fish and at 1.50 each, it can get expensive.  I can tie them for about 35 cents each + my time.

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Wax worm your time is donated.....I buy the hooks u tie the flies works perfect. Back to the discussion. I do like the heavier flies because they get down faster but the slower fall i think is more deadly alot of the time.Not like first ice when u can drop anything down and catch keeps.The best luck i have for bigger fish is definately Ice fly no bait. Sight fishing them is awesome when the big boys are biting. ;) :tipup:

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:21 PM »
hey i can only tie 60 an hour...well 45 if they are 2 tones :whistle:

pretty simple if you disect one ya like.  my 9 yr old ties his own. (he has some wild paint jobs) 

i like heavier ones i can control the fall rate and still have tension on the spring bobbers. it just slowly goes up as it stops going down ;D

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:26 AM »
A-bomb, Are you tying braided flies? My first cousin, sweeney, i think was one of the first to tie the braid in this area, though maybe you might have learned from him? That guy is a master fly maker.He used to have that bait store at 6 & 9 in Rome City.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:01 AM »
I would be interested in a few of these flies if you would be willing to part with a few.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:03 AM »
abishop,

PM me with your address. i will send you some flies or do a fly swap with anyone who wants to do some trading.

Offline gaddabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch um-hunt um!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:56 AM »
I like my homemade rocker jigs but marmish jigs look very good. I also use a black ant if not much wind. The best advice I can give is throw away the bobbers including the spring bobbers. I only straight line with a 3.5 to 4ft long poles,(not good in shanty tho have to use shorter poles) I use 2 to 4lb yellow stren lice line. I wind it on pegs at the handle this puts bends or kinks in the line, which gives your bait a different action in the water. I just watch the line, if they are biting hard the line will go sideways in the hole, if they are biting light the line will barely move as they suck it in. I believe that this tech has increased my catch tenfold. I only fish for crappie and gills. Been ice fishin almost 50 yrs. TRY IT YOU WILL LIKE IT.
Fishy Fishy In da Brook,Come Bite On Grandpa's Hook!

Gaddabout is my nickname, No affiliation with the newspaper.

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2008, 05:40 PM »
Lets see some pictures of these flies. I would love to try them,where could a guy get some

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2008, 07:36 PM »
waxworm makes some cool flossies and he's smart enough to post a pic  (i am NOT) some can be seen in the jigging section./jig making/. he needs to post some of his.

what color do most of you like.

travel tender in goshen usually has 'em and busco dn south has some too i believe

A

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2008, 07:58 PM »
Here is a pic of a few that I make.

And some of A-Bombs

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:00 PM »
waxworm makes some cool flossies and he's smart enough to post a pic  (i am NOT) 

Send me a pic and Ill post it for ya.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:03 PM »

Send me a pic and Ill post it for ya.

Check my post above.  Pics of floss flies and A-bomb flies.....

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:39 PM »
dont forget the larva lace......i really stink at tying those. 
someone has to have a pic as those are the "origional"  ice flies!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2008, 06:31 AM »
nice flies

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2008, 07:27 AM »
Nice flies guys...Do you know where I can get some like those? :tipup:

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:09 AM »
You can really slam the gills about anywhere with an ice fly made with gold beads for the head. Not trying to brag or anything, but the last few years I've outfished alot of the people using ice flies & homemade jigs. I make some using gold beads for the head and body and absolutely slam the fish with them. Gold, Silver, and some stone fly patterns, or BLOOD WORM. You can realy kill 'em at feeding time if you know what they're eating.

I think I will tie some up today ! yeeeeeeee-ha

chris

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:32 AM »
You can really slam the gills about anywhere with an ice fly made with gold beads for the head. Not trying to brag or anything, but the last few years I've outfished alot of the people using ice flies & homemade jigs. I make some using gold beads for the head and body and absolutely slam the fish with them. Gold, Silver, and some stone fly patterns, or BLOOD WORM. You can realy kill 'em at feeding time if you know what they're eating.

I think I will tie some up today ! yeeeeeeee-ha

chris

How about a picture so we can see what you are talking about??

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:13 PM »
Yeah waxworm came out of the closet and showed a picture of his,only a gentlemen would show us a picture of yours. :tipup:

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2008, 07:52 AM »
I have some articles and pictures from 1988 that were written in local Indiana papers.
They are about a fellow named Larry Stanley from Ligoner Indiana.
These articles were about a technique called "bright lining" and ice flies that he tied.
The system was the same as described here where yellow line wrapped on pegs in the rod handle developed kinks which act as strike indicators.
The flies were weighted and tied with 2 colors of floss which was braided.On some of the flies he added flash strips to the back of the fly.
I purchased 2 dozen of these flies and tried to fish them as described but never kept at it long enough to become proficient. I did however catch fish with the flies when they were on a hot bite.
Some of you might have heard of this man or even know of him as there was a lot of stuff being written about him at the time.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.