The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: getting worried!!!!  (Read 7821 times)

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
getting worried!!!!
« on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:24 AM »
this really sucks.warmer temps most of the week.
im never gonna get out this year.we need some
cold weather to stick around for a good couple of days.
there probably is safe ice somewhere,but i still
would not feel safe because of all the rain and
somewhat warm weather we have had.went by lake sheridan
on sat. and two guys on the ice.went by mon. and
you could see where there was hardly any ice left.

anyone have safe ice within an hour of scranton,pa.
                                              will travel for fish.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: getting worried!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:02 AM »
Temps not looking good.  Looks like a pretty good cold spell next week, but it also looks like wind and then a big warm up the following week. >:(

Lakes that had ice above I-80 seem to be holding their ground and will probably survive, but you gotta travel if you want ice. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:46 AM »
We weren't on ice until mid-January last year here in western PA.  There may have been a few places that you could get out prior to that point (not including early ice...a few days mid-Dec).  I was golfing the second week of January rather than walking on the hard stuff...it was truly depressing.

I had planned to head to western NY to start my ice season over New Year's, but even the weather reports up there don't look all that promising to maintain the hard water they already have.  Be patient (...I know it's not easy) we'll get at least 2-3 weeks at some point I'm sure...

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:03 AM »
we willl get it, the only thing thats killing me is the inconsistancy in the weather. one day its freezing the next its 50 out

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Hey Guys,
Stop getting worried and start going fishing.  Open water? Get the boat out and get after them.  The fish are still there.  If you anchor up or can hold her steady with the elec motor then you can present the baits like you're icefishing.  Keep the presentation slowed down compared to summertime fishing.

Only thing that kills this idea now is if the lake is partially ice covered or the wind is blowing like a son of a gun.

Other than that, the day that you spend crying is the day you lose.  Only way to see how it works is to give it a try.  Beats moping around the house.

With the way it's looking, we may be waiting a while longer for ice.  If you don't fish frequently then you'll lose your touch and wont be in synch when you finally do hit the ice.  That's what I tell my wife as the reason I need to fish any chance I can.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline beerthirty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2007, 12:23 PM »
There is reason to be worried about getting on the ice around here this year.... The way i understand the weather is supposed to get warm again in January.... Does not bode well for us guess like jig says get the boat out on your fav spot and anchor up! In the meantime pray for the weather man to be wrong!
got fish? got beer? anyone see dr beam?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:20 PM »
There is reason to be worried about getting on the ice around here this year.... The way i understand the weather is supposed to get warm again in January.... Does not bode well for us guess like jig says get the boat out on your fav spot and anchor up! In the meantime pray for the weather man to be wrong!
no ice its beerthirty lol i believe we could fish along the shores maybe this weekend if i cant fish hard i stay on the porch  bow wow mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:33 PM »
Lots of ice to be had, just go and look for it!!! I was on 4-7"!!! I went out driving and looking instead of sitting here reading!....LOL

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2007, 06:22 PM »
 Got out on 5 myself today. Finally!!!!
Jim K.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:55 PM »
Scranton is a heck of a lot closer to  good ice than Del Co. I've got a bit over two hrs drive with the pedal down. The lakes down here may not ice up at all; at least the good ones, so I'll drive if I have to scratch that itch. In the words of Alfred E Newman, " What, me worry?''

Offline BEERNBAIT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:31 PM »
the MAD ICEMAN IS RIGHT,,,,,,,,,,,There's only one way to find ice, get off the puter and go for a drive.  just because people may not be posting safe ice on here, doesnt mean anything.  Find out for yourself, drill your own holes.  I went for a drive last saturday to a lake in central pa, that no one has reported fishing.  and it had 4 to 5 inches of ice.  What the rain did to it, i dont know, i'll find out today, when i go for another drive.

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:56 AM »
Who was ya fishin with?
That's alot of panfish, for 50 fish combined limit per person, per day.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:32 AM »
What can I say??  I was by myself on a private lake.  I didn't thnk that applied to private lakes, maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, what is the ruling on that?

Offline BEERNBAIT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:18 AM »
sounds like you got one lucky spot ;D

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:06 AM »
I was out all day today on 8" of solid ice.  Best day of fishing I've had in a long time.  The ice was great with a skim coating of snow so you didn't need creepers plus it's really easy pulling, 40 degrees & no wind just a couple flurries, no people - I had the ice all to myself.  Took home about 54 bluegill & pumpkin seed, 23 decent size perch, 2 really big bullhead, 3 bass over 19", 4 pickrell all over 24", then 27 XL slab side crappies at the end of the day - would have stayed longer but I didn't have my lantern with me - I forgot it.  I just got done fileting fish, it's 1:00am.  I didn't weigh all the fillets, but I'll bet I got every bit of 20lbs of great eating!!

Now I want to hear all about how the ice isn't any good and the weather is screwing it up!!!  I'll be back on the ice tomorrow by 9:30am, this time with my lantern in my truck - just in case.

maybe you should update the lakes thet are safe to fish on
in your area.let people know that there is safe ice.

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:11 AM »
I'm Pretty sure it still applies unless you own the lake. Ha Ha

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:39 AM »
I'm not disputing the fact that you should 'get off the puter and go drive to find safe ice' if you really want to fish, but I have to temper that statement with the location where one lives.  I did get off the 'puter' and did go driving around the local area, and did talk to a bunch of people in the 'know', and still did not find any fishable ice within 2 hours of me.  With the weather the way it is I simply have to be patient until we get a bit of a colder spell.  I'm not complaining...in fact I'm still planning a 2-day trip to NY to do some ice fishing in the very near future.  I guess what I'm saying is that it is likely that even if some of us did 'go and look for it' we could look til we were blue in the face and all we would see is the soft stuff...   :(

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline jasong31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:02 PM »
What worries me is tonights rain. From the looks of it, pl and toby should be ok... But if it doesnt refreeze tonight/tomorrow morning we are in for a sloppy mess.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Checked the accuweather forcast and saw highs in the 20's in NE PA mid next week. Hope it gets cold and stays cold.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:25 PM »
I was out all day today on 8" of solid ice.  Best day of fishing I've had in a long time.  The ice was great with a skim coating of snow so you didn't need creepers plus it's really easy pulling, 40 degrees & no wind just a couple flurries, no people - I had the ice all to myself.  Took home about 54 bluegill & pumpkin seed, 23 decent size perch, 2 really big bullhead, 3 bass over 19", 4 pickrell all over 24", then 27 XL slab side crappies at the end of the day - would have stayed longer but I didn't have my lantern with me - I forgot it.  I just got done fileting fish, it's 1:00am.  I didn't weigh all the fillets, but I'll bet I got every bit of 20lbs of great eating!!

Now I want to hear all about how the ice isn't any good and the weather is screwing it up!!!  I'll be back on the ice tomorrow by 9:30am, this time with my lantern in my truck - just in case.
WOW
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline Lottie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pa. Goat Boy member
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:34 PM »
The lakes around the Pack are mostly all  good,including most of Fairview Lake, However MOST of the Pack is open water ony some of the coves are ice covered with the main body skiming over and then losing it by afternoon.  I tend to report the Pack as to what Mangans cove and the main body looks like so that anybody traveling here here is not disapointed.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:02 PM »
At least some of us made it out a few times, more so for some people. Jersey ice was starting to run out, although a bunch of us were still out wednesday, and a couple buddies yesterday. Nevertheless I was out with MTP on 3.5-5 inches north of the White Haven area today on a small gamelands pond/swamp, whatever you want to call it. All i know is its decent fishing  ;D Btw, FL Walter Res was mostly open water today, because of the recent drawdown in case anyone fishes it. Looks like this rain tonight may hurt most of the borderline enough ice lakes. Looks like finally almost everyone will be able to get out next weekend in nepa with the better temps forecasted.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:29 PM »
Farview was atleast half open mid-week last week and i could of swore i saw alot of open water when i drove by last night on 390.  maybe it was just the glare on the ice or water beeing blown by the wind.  it was getting pretty dark. 

PL upper had 8.5 in inches of ice 30 ft from shore and out another 30 feet it had 6.5.  Ice was measured out from the beach. this evening.

PL lower had between 6 and 7 in just about every hole a checked, and there were alot of holes.  it looked like swiss cheese in spots.  I left off counting at 53 fresh or open holes out form the launch by the dam.  Better hope it gets below freezing tonight before the rain or there will be lots of water funnneling down through those holes.   

JM

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:50 PM »
Its already raining out and the wind is ripping pretty good also. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2007, 01:02 AM »
Farview was atleast half open mid-week last week and i could of swore i saw alot of open water when i drove by last night on 390.  maybe it was just the glare on the ice or water beeing blown by the wind.  it was getting pretty dark. 

PL upper had 8.5 in inches of ice 30 ft from shore and out another 30 feet it had 6.5.  Ice was measured out from the beach. this evening.

PL lower had between 6 and 7 in just about every hole a checked, and there were alot of holes.  it looked like swiss cheese in spots.  I left off counting at 53 fresh or open holes out form the launch by the dam.  Better hope it gets below freezing tonight before the rain or there will be lots of water funnneling down through those holes.   

JM

I've fished Fairview the last 2 days and heading out tomorrow morning, there's only a little spot of open water near the 390 side.

Offline ranger22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:27 PM »
i've been out on minisink all week the ice has gone between 5 and 6" all week
with 4" of solid black on the bottom the whole time. the rain hasn't hurt the ice
at all. today for the 1st time there were other people on the ice here. i don't
understand why people come on here and keep asking if the ice is safe and then
not believing what people are telling them instead of heading out and checking things
out themselves.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:45 PM »
I think we all get the point !
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:03 PM »
Hey Mapcap where is this private pond your catching to many fish at I will call my buddy Bill and tell him to Fine you. You really should check your facts before you go posting info that could get you Fined ???

Then you go and complain about people not fishing looks to me as if your catching and keeping enough fish for a few extra people.

At least when those people do go out they read the regulations!!
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:50 PM »
MADCAP,
 I'm not one to start things or stir the pot, but I'm going to make a suggestion.
                             TONE IT DOWN A LITTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:15 PM »
Hey Mapcap where is this private pond your catching to many fish at I will call my buddy Bill and tell him to Fine you. You really should check your facts before you go posting info that could get you Fined ???

Then you go and complain about people not fishing looks to me as if your catching and keeping enough fish for a few extra people.

At least when those people do go out they read the regulations!!

Posting anything wil not get you fined... come on and be realistic... and to say that you're going to call your friend Bill... you need to go fishing and stop living by everyone's post here... So what if he took more than the limit... it's a private lake, he's not taking fish away from you, or anyone of us... we can't fish it, so who cares!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.