Author Topic: under water camera  (Read 4992 times)

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
under water camera
« on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:04 PM »
What do you guys think about the Aqua-Vu Quad 4x4, anyone here have any experance with it? Do you think its worth the extra money?

CSP88

Re: under water camera
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:44 PM »
What do you guys think about the Aqua-Vu Quad 4x4, anyone here have any experance with it? Do you think its worth the extra money?

I like the idea of having the 360* viewing all on one screen and having the option to view each screen individually. Not having to take the time to pan would be a huge plus.  In my case... since I mainly use my Aqua Vu Scout for looking for structure and rarely use it when fishing, the additional price was not justified.

Chad

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007, 05:13 PM »
Alot of cake, but like said nice to see 360. I myself was on a budget so I opted for the ZT 4" screen (longer battery life than the scout).

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:31 PM »
Definetly would be a bonus.. I spend more time spinnin that damn camera around!! Still fun though!! A buddy of mine bought one and had major leaking problems with his
3 different camera's SAME Problem... My Scout has been flawless for what i need it to do

Offline Greenglo_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He who has the most toys wins!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:09 PM »
I just bought the quad 4 and noted in the manual that battery life is 4 hrs. Not thrilled bout that. Time will tell. I would have bought the color Marcum unit if they had a compatable DVR reader.
He who has the most toys wins!!!!!

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:20 AM »
I just bought the quad 4 and noted in the manual that battery life is 4 hrs. Not thrilled bout that. Time will tell. I would have bought the color Marcum unit if they had a compatable DVR reader.

I was looking at Aqua Vu for just that issue and then I remembered I already have a miniDV camcorder I can hook up to it and it won't cost me another 100 bucks.

Opened my options up to many more cameras. 

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:51 AM »
never used the quad 360, but how do you tell which of the 4 quadrants in pointing which way?
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:44 PM »
never used the quad 360, but how do you tell which of the 4 quadrants in pointing which way?

One will be pointing towards your bait. The other three will be pointing the other way!

>:D :woot: :woot: :unsure:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2007, 10:29 AM »
Definetly would be a bonus.. I spend more time spinnin that d**n camera around!! Still fun though!! A buddy of mine bought one and had major leaking problems with his
3 different camera's SAME Problem... My Scout has been flawless for what i need it to do
What cameras leaked?

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2007, 12:13 PM »
I have had a Vexilar dual/cone for yrs, would feel naked icefighing without it.

And I am thinking about adding a underwater camera to my ice fishing arsenal. But I don't want to or can't spend allot of bucks. Is there any good ones out there for under $100?

I looked on ebay, and found a 2007-2008 New in Box "Aqua Cam" w/ 2 batteries for $130 +S&H. Is Aqua Cam anygood? All I hear about is Aqua-Vu. I am sure there are allot of spin off underwater cameras that are good.

Does anyone advise buying a used one?

I looked at Reeds Online site, all they have is Aqua-Vu.

Here's a no name one I found on ebay, anyone know anything about them. Click link to see the ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fishing-Video-System-6-Monitor-Underwater-Camera_W0QQitemZ250194515371QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4703QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I copied the URL above from the ebay page, and still the click on will not work. It should, why?

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2007, 12:30 PM »

I looked on ebay, and found a 2007-2008 New in Box "Aqua Cam" w/ 2 batteries for $130 +S&H. Is Aqua Cam anygood? All I hear about is Aqua-Vu. I am sure there are allot of spin off underwater cameras that are good.

I won a brand new Aqua Cam with extra bonus battery for $81, plus $35 shipping, so $115 total :) I stayed up late to get that last second bid in, and was I shocked at what I won it for considering I put a much higher bid in.

This underwater cam was recommended to me by my local tackle shop. He said they sold over 200 of them and had only 1 return. He said they're one of the best bang for the buck underwater cams he's seen, and he owns one himself. Their sale price on the last one they have in stock is $200 plus $30 for an extra battery, plus 14% taxes. I did well.

Anyway, I tested it out down at Burlington Bay yesterday and it works great! I diodn't see any fish because it looked like a desert down there, but man, is Lake Ontario ever covered in Zebra mussels!! The picture was very clear, and I had it down about 30 feet. I can't wait to try it out on the ice.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2007, 12:46 PM »
musky8it,  I have one of them.  I got mine from my brother for xmas last year and just love it. Though I did have a leaking problem with mine.  I called there customer sevice they told me to exchange at the store and now i have no problems with the new one.  My bro liked mine so much he went and bought one so did my father and uncle.  Mine came from Menards. It is a home improvement store in case you have never heard of it. But watch on ebay they are there a lot.
<br />

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2007, 12:48 PM »
musky8it,  I have one of them.  I got mine from my brother for xmas last year and just love it. Though I did have a leaking problem with mine. 

I was thinking about the issue you had when I went down to test it out. The first thing I looked for was water inside the cam casing.

All was well :)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2007, 01:23 PM »
there is a Menards store about 25 miles from me. But I dougt they would carry them in the winter time, I'll have to call them. To bad Walmart didn't carry them in my town, all I have ever seen is fish finders.

About the Aqua Cam, can you see fish when icefishing at night?
How is the visibility in stained water, say visibility with naked eye is only 3-4 ft deep, can the camera see past that since the cloudy ice blocks sunlight penitration.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2007, 01:25 PM »
what do you think of the marcum 560? anyone have any experience with it? thats what I'm thinking of gitting now.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2007, 09:14 PM »
The only time I tried mine at night was up at Mille Lacs last year on a weekend trip and I could only see about a foot because the ir lights lit up all the particles floating in water.  Maybe if you were in a super clear lake it would help you but I dont know.  They had them all last winter at our local Menards but they decieded not ot carry them anymore and that is when my father went and got his for $75.  I would call and ask.  IT would save ya trip or make a trip for ya.
<br />

Offline miller326

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kill'em ya grill'em
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2007, 05:55 PM »
I have one a there r the best you can sit and watch fish bit your jig or watch them just in there natural habitat its works all year around

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:23 PM »
Time to update this thread. I've had two opportunities to try out this cam, and it works great. I was out today and I took a few pics of the monitor with my regular camera. This will give you an idea on how the Aqua Cam works, and this lake isn't the clearest of lakes:

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:32 PM »
thats cool you got all the fish you showed on the cam :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:35 PM »
thats cool you got all the fish you showed on the cam :tipup:

Thanks, it was a great day.

6 Pike, 6 Crappie and a bunch of Perch. The action on the cam was pretty good too ;)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2007, 02:15 AM »
They had them all last winter at our local Menards but they decieded not ot carry them anymore and that is when my father went and got his for $75.  I would call and ask.  IT would save ya trip or make a trip for ya.

The memards store closest to me is 30miles said they sold out of them at tksgiving. They guy I spoke to told me the thought they where selling them for around $100. Man I wish I lived where you live so I could pick one up cheaper, $75 bucks is a steal compared to what they are selling for on ebay. Course, the S&H cost is what makes the bigger cost on ebay. I would say they average around $90-110 on ebay, thats not including the $20-25 S&H...

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2007, 02:29 AM »
Time to update this thread. I've had two opportunities to try out this cam, and it works great. I was out today and I took a few pics of the monitor with my regular camera. This will give you an idea on how the Aqua Cam works, and this lake isn't the clearest of lakes:

Last5oh, I sent you this message incase you don't see this post.

Wowww, nice pics but it looks like the water is pretty clear compared to the lake I mainly fish here in Indiana. Trying to get a feel if the camera can see past a humans visibilty. So if you can, please reply.

What is the visibilty at your lake when you drop your ice jig down. If its the same as on the pics, it looks like your jig would disappear around 5-7 foot. The lake I fish at my ice jigs disappear after about 3-4 feet. So I guess what I am trying to find out, is if the camera can see past a humans visibilty. If not, then I take it this camera wouldn't show past 3-4ft at my lake.

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2007, 05:53 AM »
Last5oh, I sent you this message incase you don't see this post.

Wowww, nice pics but it looks like the water is pretty clear compared to the lake I mainly fish here in Indiana. Trying to get a feel if the camera can see past a humans visibilty. So if you can, please reply.

What is the visibilty at your lake when you drop your ice jig down. If its the same as on the pics, it looks like your jig would disappear around 5-7 foot. The lake I fish at my ice jigs disappear after about 3-4 feet. So I guess what I am trying to find out, is if the camera can see past a humans visibilty. If not, then I take it this camera wouldn't show past 3-4ft at my lake.
Hi Musky. I replied to your message.

Yes, about 6-7 feet and you lose sight of the jig as you drop it down the hole. The jig in front is about 2-3 feet away, and there's a jig behind it you can see as well, but it's about 4-5 feet away although not nearly as clear.

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2007, 06:01 AM »
BTW, as you can see, it was still dark when we got setup. I tried the underwater cam in the dark but landed up putting it away until daylight. I couldn't see much other than particles floating around, especially after stirring up the bottom, just like mentioned by somebody else in this thread.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2007, 05:27 PM »
used mine the last couple of days in 3ft of water to help with the sight fishing.  I could see the fish  coming atleast before they got to the bait some times.  That is until the snow really came down then it was really hard to see anything beyond about 3 ft in the water, but it was a slow day and I had my 11yr old with me and he wanted to go pretty quick.
<br />

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2007, 06:34 PM »
  That is until the snow really came down then it was really hard to see anything beyond about 3 ft in the water, but it was a slow day and I had my 11yr old with me and he wanted to go pretty quick.

I didn't notice any difference in picture quality and it was snowing pretty good the day I was out last week on the same lake. I was fishing in 12 fow both times.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:39 PM »
Well we went from hardly any snow on the ice to about 3-4" while we fished.  My brother took and shoveled off an area next to his hut to help with the light and he could see better today.
<br />

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2008, 12:11 PM »

Very cool pics!
Just some friendly advice though. Even with very small pike you really should try to keep your fingers away from those teeth. When they are out of the water they still see very well and many, many people have been slashed when those pike decide to start thrashing and slashing. It's almost like thay have a mouthfull of razor blades and they are definitely not afraid to use them! And when they do you won't get any kind of warning.

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2008, 12:25 PM »
He, He. He.  I was so thinking the same thing but didn't want to detract from the thread (very cool pictures).  Be careful, the only blood on the ice should be from the fish ;D

Many Flags,

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2008, 12:28 PM »
No wonder I always have a sore thumb after lipping Pike and Walleye!! :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.