The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Laramie Area Reports  (Read 8131 times)

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
Laramie Area Reports
« on: Dec 04, 2007, 05:20 PM »
Just thought I'de start a place to make reports about ice fishing around Laramie.  I have heard a few lakes have/had ice that was fishable, but with the warmer temps and strong winds lately who knows what the ice is like.  My buddy is going out tonight to check the conditions on a few plains lakes, so maybe go tomorrow.  I am sure a few beaver ponds are froze up in the Happy Jack area though.  Any reports on lakes around the laramie area will be much appreciated.  Lets hope for colder weather!!! 

May all your Poles be BENT and YOur fish be MONSTERS!
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
Re: Laramie Area Reports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:53 PM »
If you don't mind the drive, 3 lakes is frozen and ready to ice fish.

Offline lethalwepon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2007, 09:02 AM »
Which lakes?

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2007, 10:01 AM »
The warm weather and wind the last couple days was pretty depressing but it looks like its going to cool down a little and stay that way for at least a week.  Hopefully there is some good ice somewhere by this weekend my fishing buddy got a power auger a couple weeks ago and wants to check it out.  Cant wait to get out to hattie.  By the way how many Laramie people do we have on this forum?
ZAck

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2007, 10:42 AM »
the snowy range lakes have to be frozen, don't you think?  it would be a little hike, but i bet the rainbows and brookies should be catchable up there.

Offline dbicthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2007, 03:46 PM »
I was out last Saturday on Pole Mountain for a few hours fishing one of the large ponds.  Fishing was slow.  I caught two brookies within ten minutes of each other, but I had to wait a half hour before I had a bite.  The trip was mostly just to get out on the ice.  The ice was about 5".  Later that same day I was up above Centennial cutting down a Christmas tree with the family.  There is a lake near Hyw. 130 1/2 to 1 mile below the Sand Hollow Lake turn off that appeared to be iced over.  A few weeks ago I was over at the Game and Fish office talking with one of the fisheries biologist about the perch at Hattie and he confirmed that there are still some of those "Jumbos" around. 
Dave Banks

Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
~Mark Twain~

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2007, 08:35 PM »
The perch are definatly still in hattie.  We caught quite a few this summer but it seems like finding them can be tricky during the ice season.  Im excited to see if the lakers show through the ice this year.  The game and fish netted good numbers of them this spring so you know they are in there.  I got a feeling Hattie will be good at least for first ice.  Maybe this weekend if the wind stays away.
Zack

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2007, 09:38 PM »
Big Z, I doubt there will be any ice for this weekend. I fished alsop last week on 4" of ice. Returned to take a look at it today and the lake is now about 3/4 open. If the small lakes are back open, the big ones will be open for sure. tumbleweed

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2007, 08:44 PM »
I went out to Hattie today to check on ice conditions. The lake is completely frozen over. On the east end toward the dam there were some people fishing.

The center of the lake had about 1 inch of ice and the narrows had a couple of different coverings due to the recent winds. I did not have an auger along so I don't know the ice depth in that area.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Fished hattie this morning.  Got there a little before 8:00.  Fished the southeast end in a variety of depths.  Caught about a dozen perch and four rainbows.  Kept five of the bigger perch and kept two of the smaller trout.  The ice was a little sketchy in spots.   There were a few spots with a couple inches of slush on top of three inches of ice.  It was hard to tell where th slush was because of the snow.  Where we fished there was a good five inches.  It was a good first day on the ice, cant wait to get back.
Zack

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2007, 04:06 PM »
Hope to hit hattie up tomorrow or the next day.  Need some perch for the frying pan. 

BigZee,  what were you hitting the perch on.

Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:31 PM »
Baiter,
  I caught a few on a small tube jig tipped with a meal worm.  But my buddy caught the most on a white spoon with a meal worm.  The perch were mostly small and didnt seem to be schooled up and they seemed to come one at a time but they are out there.  Here is a pic from when we got home.

The bo was 16"

Good luck

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:20 AM »
nice catch bigzee.   :)   it's finally here for good this time

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:42 PM »
I went out and fished Hattie today. I had pretty good luck with the perch but the trout were nowhere to be seen.

Offline dbicthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2007, 12:06 PM »
I went out and fished Hattie today. I had pretty good luck with the perch but the trout were nowhere to be seen.

tumbleweed,

How thick was the ice where you were fishing?  Depth?  I feel the need to head out tomorrow morning and get the bug out of my system ( well, for a day or two).
Dave Banks

Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
~Mark Twain~

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:30 PM »
dibicthy, the ice is different depending where you are on the lake. The main body of water is probably about 2 1/2" thick. However, on the east and west sides there is hold-over ice from the last freeze. Thicknesses in those areas are around 4-6". Check my earlier posts to give you an idea of where the ice is best.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:59 PM »
hit the curt gowdy lakes today, 5" or better in the bays but the main parts looked to be about 2 1/2". Kept a brown and tossed back a few bows, Damn windy, wicked wind chill.

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2007, 10:05 PM »
Anybody fish Hattie lately?

Offline fishpimp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:08 AM »
Perch Crazy,
Made it to Hattie today fishing was fair.  Not many trout were caught i was fishing with a rather larger party however a 18ish rainbow was caught and we kept 20 perch for super.  Nothing crazy but a good time was had by all.

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Was there any size to perch?  How thick is the ice?

Offline BUCK1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:06 AM »
I was out at hattie saturday and sunday.  The ice is 6 inches on most of the lake and 4 inches around the bottleneck.  Both days we caught a nice rainbow and several nice perch.  There were a lot of people fishing on the east end of the lake, we were the only ones fishing around the bottleneck.  Approx. 10-12 depth.
"Fish on Brother!"

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Has anyone been up around Toltec or #3? I was planning on going up their and I know that #3 is really like 4 lakes now but I heard that you can still catch big trout and even bigger walleye but you are going to only catch one a day if that.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2007, 03:07 PM »
are there lakers in wheatland #3?  or just big rainbows?

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:29 PM »
Wheatland #3 Doesnt have and lake trout in it. It has Rainbows, Cutthroats , Walleyes. I ice fished it several times about three years ago but its been so dry down here that there is not much water left in it.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2007, 10:11 PM »
Fishinwithflys,
I talked to a couple of friends that fished it this spring (Wheatland 3). They said there were dead fish all over the banks. It apparently took somewhat of a winter kill. The West Laramie Flystore's fishing report says that a person can still catch fish from the lake, but that same report has been running for the last three years. I have not talked to anyone that has fished it since. I suspect that last winter done it in. If Meboer and Gelatt winter killed with aerators, I can't imagine that Wheatland fared any better. If you fish it, give us a report.
tumbleweed

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2007, 11:40 PM »
Wheatland 3 was still giving up huge fish to folks late this summer who were looking for hogs in our neck of the woods...but by hogs I mean carp, not walleye or trout.  So if you want to ice the biggest fish you'll find in the area, hit it. 

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2007, 02:06 AM »
Baiter,
  I caught a few on a small tube jig tipped with a meal worm.  But my buddy caught the most on a white spoon with a meal worm.  The perch were mostly small and didnt seem to be schooled up and they seemed to come one at a time but they are out there.  Here is a pic from when we got home.

The bo was 16"

(Image removed from quote.)

Good luck

There ya go, its a start. 
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2007, 02:49 PM »
Fished Hattie this morning. I caught ten perch and a couple of rainbows. One of the bows went 19 inches. Released the trout to fight another day. Kept a few perch for dinner.
tumbleweed

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:26 PM »
Tumbleweed, where were you fishing?  I stopped by during lunch time and talked to a couple guys on the east end down from the dam and they had 20 or so perch and 3 bows around 15-18 inches.  Wishing I had a fishing pole in the work car for those little side trips.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:55 PM »
Perch Crazy, I set up toward the narrows. Last friday I set up on the east side and had my best day on Hattie yet. Between a friend and myself we caught around 25 fish. However, 20 of those were trout, most of them measuring around 18". We also caught one salmon and four perch. Threw everything back except for the perch and the salmon. tumbleweed

A fish from friday past

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.