The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Laramie Area Reports  (Read 8130 times)

Offline csaunder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Laramie Area Reports
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Fish Hattie both yesterday and Tuesday and did very well both days, at least for me.  Probably ice 90 perch and one rainbow both days.  Kept perch over 9 inches both days (5 on Tuesday, 10 on Thursday).  Tuesdays trout was an 18.5 in pig and yesterday I landed a skinner 23 rainbow.  Perch action lasted nonstop all day.

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Thanks for all the info about #3. I am planning on going up their this weekend. I will stop and take a look but i will most likely just fish Toltec.

Offline sportsman234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 24, 2007, 10:09 AM »
Has anyone fished Alsop lately or know how thick the ice is there?

Offline dbicthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 24, 2007, 10:29 AM »
I fished Alsop last Thursday with a friend for a few hours in the morning.  We started in about 8' of water towards the middle of lake.  Ice was about 6" thick at that spot, but varies from 4 -6" across the lake.  We caught a few fish there then moved to 10' of water towards the freeway.  This location seemed better than the other.  Total fish caught were 8-10 trout (all rainbow) with most being this years planters in about 2 hours of fishing.  Only kept one fish around 16".  Afterwards headed over to Hattie for 4 hrs. or so.  My friend had a nice bow on his 2 lb. leader and got it to the hole, but had it break off.  I caught another rainbow about 15".  We moved out towards the piled up ice in the middle where we found the perch.  The largest was 11" a few other 9-10" perch mixed with lots of smaller perch action to keep you interested.  We used custom jig and spin rat finkies and toadies in greens, red, and purple (http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/softbody.html) as well as tube jigs (clear with salt and pepper flakes). 
Dave Banks

Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
~Mark Twain~

Offline dbicthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:09 AM »
Fished Hattie yesterday (12/27) with a friend for about 4 hrs (8 am - noon).  We started out about half way between the shore and the piled up ice in the middle of the lake down on the dam end.  Fishing was slow, with a few perch.  After 2 hours, we began moving around, finally settling on a location further away from shore and near the piled up ice.  The perch were more cooperative here, but the bonus fish was a 21" brown (approx. 4.1 lbs).   (I wanted to attach a photo, but could not.  When I clicked on the "insert image" button it returned .  Some help please.)
Dave Banks

Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
~Mark Twain~

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:24 AM »
try this picture posting help thread posted by Bean
it should get you through whatever problems you're having
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.0

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:23 AM »
thats a good size brown through the ice dont here of to many of them being caught good job. ive iced fished hattie alot and have never got a brown just bows kokes lakers and lots of perch.

Offline dbicthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:21 AM »
Thanks for the help with posting pictures.  Heres that brown.
Dave Banks

~Mark Twain~

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2007, 01:29 PM »
Beautiful fish

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 29, 2007, 02:43 PM »
That is a beautiful fish, love the color.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline sportsman234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Thanks for all the info about #3. I am planning on going up their this weekend. I will stop and take a look but i will most likely just fish Toltec.

So how was the fishing FISHNWITHFLYS??

Offline sportsman234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:31 PM »
I fished Alsop last Thursday with a friend for a few hours in the morning.  We started in about 8' of water towards the middle of lake.  Ice was about 6" thick at that spot, but varies from 4 -6" across the lake.  We caught a few fish there then moved to 10' of water towards the freeway.  This location seemed better than the other.  Total fish caught were 8-10 trout (all rainbow) with most being this years planters in about 2 hours of fishing.  Only kept one fish around 16".  Afterwards headed over to Hattie for 4 hrs. or so.  My friend had a nice bow on his 2 lb. leader and got it to the hole, but had it break off.  I caught another rainbow about 15".  We moved out towards the piled up ice in the middle where we found the perch.  The largest was 11" a few other 9-10" perch mixed with lots of smaller perch action to keep you interested.  We used custom jig and spin rat finkies and toadies in greens, red, and purple (http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/softbody.html) as well as tube jigs (clear with salt and pepper flakes). 

Hey thanks for the report, the Fly Store has not updated their website since November which kinda sucks. Also, nice brown out of Hattie in your last post.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:39 PM »
My brother came down after Christmas. This was his first time ice fishing. Although he looks cold, we had alot of fun. We had to thaw the fish out before filleting them, but he took a good batch home.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2007, 09:35 AM »
Tumbleweed

My wife and I are heading to Hattie for the first trip of the year, got any suggestions on whether to try the narrows (I've never fished there) or the dam area?  We've normally fished the shanty town near the dam.  Looking for some nice perch action.  What's the easiest way to reach the narrows anyway?

Offline dbicthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 31, 2007, 10:02 AM »
I have only fished the narrows once.  To get there we headed down like you are going to the dam area, but before you get all the way down there, you come across a road that heads up-lake.  With the recent storm, it may be impossible to get there in a car.  I think that you can find the perch anywhere on the lake if you are willing to wait, but I am always impatient so I go out and find them.  I have had my most consistent action out near the piled up ice near mid-lake.  Good luck to you!
Dave Banks

~Mark Twain~

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 31, 2007, 01:31 PM »
Tumbleweed

My wife and I are heading to Hattie for the first trip of the year, got any suggestions on whether to try the narrows (I've never fished there) or the dam area?  We've normally fished the shanty town near the dam.  Looking for some nice perch action.  What's the easiest way to reach the narrows anyway?
Perch Crazy
The best way to access the narrows this time of year is off the highway just east of the houses. Turn right at the big white sign. One of the homeowners has been plowing the road in. I don't know what this last snowstorm has done to the road but sometimes it drifts in coming off the old shore. Just keep an eye out and you should be okay. Take the first left at the bottom of the hill and follow west. I wouldn't suggest driving all the way to the narrows. It drifts in pretty deep over the little knob on the pennisula. Check it out on foot first if there is a question. I've been fishing that area in about 12 ft of water.
Good luck, Tumbleweed

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 31, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Nice mess o percha,  great job!!
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:09 PM »
Fished Hattie today for trout. I caught a half dozen or so and a few perch. I've been talking to a few people and most agree that the quality of fish is getting better. The low water might have something to do with it. It will be interesting to see the derby results from this coming weekend. Took a couple of pictures of a colorful rainbow and met a fellow ISer in the flesh... Perch crazy. 

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:32 PM »
Tumbleweed,

It was really nice to meet you today as well.  We ended up catching one trout about 18 inches but nothing at the spot we tried after talking to you - actually didn't even see a fish come by.  I'm trying again for perch on Thursday morning with some friends.  Trying to get out before the giving up the lake for the derby.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #49 on: Jan 01, 2008, 11:40 PM »
dbicthy, nice brown.

Tumbleweed, very nice mess of Perch. Super fat Bow, and great close picture! WTG

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #50 on: Jan 02, 2008, 06:57 AM »
nice guys.  i can't believe i missed so much awesome ice-fishing in laramie before i was introduced to the sport - enjoy it to its fullest   :bow:

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2008, 02:58 PM »
that is one beautiful bobo, for sure  :tipup:

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:23 PM »
Tumbleweed,

Did you take that Big Bow home to eat or release em'
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:52 PM »
Tumbleweed,

Did you take that Big Bow home to eat or release em'
Just let him swim away.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #54 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:52 AM »
awesome

Offline dbicthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:59 AM »
I fished Alsop Saturday from 8 - Noon.  The ice was about 8 - 12".  We fished across the lake near the sign with consistent action.  All the fish were bows with nothing spectacular.  We kept four of the smaller fish for dinner. 
Dave Banks

~Mark Twain~

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.