Author Topic: Vexilar vs. Marcum  (Read 4965 times)

Offline bencrawf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stop complaining and jig it!!
Vexilar vs. Marcum
« on: Feb 17, 2007, 10:06 AM »
Just looking at flashers and was wanting to hear some preferences and what would be a good set up for a beginner.  I woukd like to hear any opinions about flashers.  I just want to get a good idea of what I might be getting with a flasher.  Thanks

-Ben-

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
Re: Vexilar vs. Marcum
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Your getting probably the best fish catching tool you can buy besides a tipup and bait. IMO I would go with a marcum LX5. I know their expensive, but they are so easy to use, it will take about 5 minutes to get the hang of it. I know the lx5 is expensive, but why not start out on top, instead of realizing your ready for a better one if you start out with say a lx1 or lx3 or an fl8 vex. I say spend the money now, and be done with it.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2007, 11:06 AM »
MarCum hands down. More powerful, less expensive and comes with the soft case ($30 for vex's).

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Southwestern, PA

Offline bencrawf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2007, 11:28 AM »
This thread may help:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38003.0

Roy

thanks a lot that is an awesome thread.  I am a new member and I am still trying to determine what is good for me.  Thanks a lot.  I would still like anyone elses opinions.  Thanks again Roy.

-Ben-

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2007, 04:21 PM »
Ben, I guess it depends on what type of fishing you plan to do, depth of water you will be fishing, species you plan to fish for most and other variables that are unique to you. How much do you plan to spend? New or used? Marcum and Vexilar are both great flashers, but each has several models. For some people, an LX5 or  FL20 could be over kill and some people like to have all the bells and whistles.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2007, 04:31 PM »
I recently bought the FL-8, my first flasher, cheapest model and it's great....I also got the S-cable for shallow water fishing. all the bells and whistles are probably a nice addition, but all in all, the basic model does exactly what I need it to do......read the depth, mark the fish, and let me know when I'm gonna get a hit.....whole new world of fishing...:tipup:

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2007, 05:03 PM »
Hi bencrawf,

I just recently purchased a Marcum LX-3tc, and it is fantastic.  I compared the two side by side in the store and in the water.  IMO, the Marcum comes out to be the clear winner.  Soft case comes standard, you can zoom anywhere you want in the water column, it has more power, crisp color and lines, less expensive than the fl-18 pro pack, and just plain old works.  You will not be disappointed with this flasher.

I think it is safe to say however, any flasher is better no flasher!!

That being said, I believe Marcum is the way to go...

Hope this helps,

shawno  8)

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2007, 05:53 PM »
How long do the batteries/battery last in flashers?

Offline whitetailmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shut up-n- fish
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2007, 06:04 PM »
 The vexilar FL-18 with the 9/19 degree transducer cant be beat.PERIOD. I used both marcum and vexilar and theres theres no comparison.If your gonna do it, do it right the first time and you will enjoy fishing instead of askin yourself if you made the right choice every time you go out.I would never go icefishin again without my vex.I catch fish that I never knew were there before,say they are suspended up 16 feet in 30 feet of water,I get those ones all the time.Without the vex I wouldnt no to pick up that high.
team I.C.Light

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2007, 06:22 PM »
i would buy a vexilar, i got a fl-8se and i love it, it works really good.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2007, 06:30 PM »
I bought an fl18 last winter and couldn't fish without it ever again. The battery lasts forever. I've seen it go to 75% once, even after being used all day long it's still at 100%. As for MarCum or vex it's up to your personal preference. They'll both do the same thing for you and both are going to mark fish.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline bencrawf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2007, 07:47 PM »
Thanks a lot everone about the advice for the flashers.  I really do appreciate it.  Thanks again.

-Ben-

PWR BAIT

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2007, 07:59 PM »
I have a vex and it works good . but I will have a marcum for next year LX5, I like the way the flasher works each line has its own individule bulb its easier to pick out the small fish from the bigger fish  and you can zoom in pretty much any where it the water colum you cant do that with a vex.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2007, 08:33 PM »
   I really like the adjustable zoom in the water column with my LX-3. Between that, the power, and the interference rejection is why I went with a MarCum.  Customer service is great, and I've heard it is great with Vexilar too. I've seen guys loyal to Vexilar, I've seen guys loyal to MarCum, I've seen guys get rid of Vex's or get a MarCum in additon to a Vex, but I've never heard of anyone getting rid of a MarCum for a Vex.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2007, 12:14 AM »
   I really like the adjustable zoom in the water column with my LX-3. Between that, the power, and the interference rejection is why I went with a MarCum.  Customer service is great, and I've heard it is great with Vexilar too. I've seen guys loyal to Vexilar, I've seen guys loyal to MarCum, I've seen guys get rid of Vex's or get a MarCum in additon to a Vex, but I've never heard of anyone getting rid of a MarCum for a Vex.
Vexs have interference rejection too. The fl8s don't have it but the Fl18s you can change the frequency by pressing the gain knob. The story about MarCums and Vexilars not working next to each other is bull. My vex and my buddy's marcum work fine next to each other once you cycle through the different frequencys. I'm not loyal to either one but that's my experience. And apparently Vexilar has top notch customer service.

The one big thing IMO is which ever one you end up buying it'll do the job whether it's an fl18 or lx3.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2007, 06:21 AM »
 Or an FL8 or a VX1, as stated before any flasher is better than no flasher. My LX-3 has messed with 2 FL8's, has anyone else had this happen? I'm not knocking Vex. I'm just wondering if it has happened to anyone else  ???
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2007, 10:47 AM »
 I'm a vex man. The features on the fl18 are really nice especially the 6ft bottom zoom. Never seen a marcum in use so can't knock it, but will say that if my battery should happen to die while fishing...... I leave ;D

Like everyone has stated, any flasher is better than none!!!!!

Tight lines,

JD
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline TEXAS_T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2007, 12:43 PM »
Just looking at flashers and was wanting to hear some preferences and what would be a good set up for a beginner.  I woukd like to hear any opinions about flashers.  I just want to get a good idea of what I might be getting with a flasher.  Thanks

-Ben-
  well to be quite honest i dont know much about the marcum flashers but i do own veilars fl-8 adn fl-18 whitch are both great peaces of electronics that only enable you to find fish but with out a doubt i can say there has been times that i wouldn't have caught a single fish without the information i got from my vexilar so point blank this peace of equipment makes  a huge diffrence in the success u have while ice fishing

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2007, 01:32 PM »
I purchased the Vexilar FL 18 for $250.00, and really love it. I had the opporitunity to meet 1st hand, Mr. VEXILAR...I asked him if he would like to use the FL-18, he said.."SURE" .

So, he took it and told me that he really liked the Auto Zoom Button the FL-18 has on it. I had fish in my hole at a nearby lake, and didn't really need it at that time, and wanted Mr. Vexilar to try it out.

The Fish were biting great on Campbell Lake, and I hope you guys will go out and try your luck fishing this Outstanding Lake.

Stan

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2007, 12:38 PM »
I use the Marcum LX5 and highly recommend it to anyone. I have used Vexilar and marcum, but can see a big difference as the Marcum is a much crisper display. I have fished a bare # 10 hook with a small wax worm and a 1/32 oz split shot about 8 inches above and can see both clearly in 20 feet of water, and never turn the gain above 2 1/2. The Vex will do this too but the crispness of the display and the features included for the money is why Marcum was my choice.

I have heard a lot of good comments about the Marcum VX-1 and you can get it for 200 bucks after the 50 dollar rebate. Haven't used one yet but like to give one a try.

Marcum, or Vex, both good companies with great customer service. Wont go wrong with either. Its up to you to make the decision, as I have done. You just have to sort out which responses are "brand followers", and which ones are true, real life, experiences.

May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.