Author Topic: How close is too close?  (Read 10458 times)

Offline jigmaster5000

• Team IceShanty Regular
How close is too close?
« on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:05 AM »
 :tipup:
Zelus mos planto criminatio

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How close is too close?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:13 AM »
I dont really mind jigging with a group of people. I like talking to people.I have learned a lot this way. However if somebody asked me to leave them alone i would respectfully leave.

However when we set tip ups out i hate when other people fish near them or place their tip ups near ours.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:15 AM »
That's why I always bring a big stick and a pistol

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:18 AM »
Happens a lot in NY. People watch other people and if you are catching and their not. They'll keep drilling closer and closer. We have had people drill in between our tip-ups, up against the back of our shanty, and even steal our holes as we are drilling them.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:18 AM »
Happens a lot in NY. People watch other people and if you are catching and their not. They'll keep drilling closer and closer. We have had people drill in between our tip-ups, up against the back of our shanty, and even steal our holes as we are drilling them.

I got guns

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:24 AM »
if I don't know the person and they get to close....like within a snowball toss away, .....words will be exchanged and they will move away  ;)

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:38 AM »
Yeah.  Always best to ask if you're thinking of setting up near someone if they want company and RESPECT their answer.  There are times I go on the ice just to clear my head and be alone and I hate being crowded.  It is too bad that I don't own the lake on days like that ;).  I have been known to tell people to leave me alone...

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:49 AM »
I can toss a snowball pretty far......

And pretty hard too >:D

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:06 PM »
Just tell 'em your only catching Rockbass, They'll RUN to get away from your spot.

If I had been the guy showing up later, I would have walked over and chatted with you.

If we got along, I would ASK if you minded me moving in, then make a peace offering. Say a brew or shot (whatever is flavor of the day). By no means would I be a Butt and just try to take a spot like that.

Part of the reason I love icefishing is it's social nature. If I'm around a crowd, I'll always walk around and chat w/ those that want to. But not everyone wants to chat, so be it, leave 'em alone.
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:06 PM »
I bring one just in case I get mauled by a yeti!

HEY NICE LOGO BUDDY

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:11 PM »
I can toss a snowball pretty far......
me too.....that's my point  ;D

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:12 PM »
I agree, we had a big pot of chili and bratwurst that those dudes looked awful jealous of...If they hadn't been such jacka**es I would have gladly shared :)

Then clearly they were the ones with the problem! Dang that sounds good, I'm starving!
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:35 PM »
I bring one just in case I get mauled by a yeti!

I hate it when that happens.  Damn yeti. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:06 PM »
happens in pa all the time. if u catch a fish dont act excited and try to hide it

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:21 PM »
Here's what I do.

1. Cut a big hole in the ice.
2. Take a can of peas and sprinkle them all around the hole.
3. Wait for the yeti to take a pea and kick him in the ice hole.

Only problem is that they stink bad and the will fish avoid the area for quite a while so you want to be sure to do this downstream from where you are fishing.  I sometimes am able to get 2 or 3 in one night. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:32 PM »
That's funny, last time I went fishing I was bent over my hole unhooking a fish and somone/something kicked me in my ice hole! Swear to god! Walltrout, WHERE'S YOUR TEAM MT LOGO?

Do I get royalties off that logo

At least a Ice Shanty patch or something????

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:38 PM »
go to the pro shop buddy

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:43 PM »
You got it Mooter!

So are you going to send one down??? 

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:49 PM »
When my friend and i go we mostly use tip ups and get there early to set up. Being able to use 5 each we spread them out. As long as no one comes INSIDE our area i have no problem with them setting up just OUTSIDE out tip ups...Ice fishing to me is a social kind of thing as well and maybe its just me but i enjoy seeing people chase their flags,always hoping to see fish being caught.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2007, 02:49 PM »
Yes, I'm on it....I imagine if your like me you have a huge hole in your boxers that needs patching immediately! PM your address ;D

Right in front

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2007, 03:00 PM »
That hole is supposed to go on the front???!?!? Mooter in addition to the patch you will be recieving a series of papers from my lawyer which we need returned, signed in triplicate. They are simply a statment saying that: 1. You relinquish ownership of the Team MT logo for the price of 1 Ice Shanty patch. 2. In addition to ownership you relinquish all future rights of use of said logo. & finally 3. You will make no malicious remarks or comments pertaining to Team MT or any of it's members, under penalty of us breaking out our supply of "brokeback ice shack" jokes. Do you agree to these terms Mooter?

YES SIR :-X

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2007, 03:03 PM »
I'd say we got us a deal than! :tipup:
So what do you do besides fish ( like there is anything else but)?

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2007, 03:32 PM »
Well sometimes I work....Check out www.myhuntingforum.com
I'm mtlion, look under the hunting pics page....Other than that I fish! My wife and I have a 14 ft otter w/ full rowing/fishing frame, next summer you'll have to take a trip on it! I fly fish, spin fish, bait fish sometimes all in one day!
]

Do you ever fish the Horn in Fort Smith???

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2007, 03:53 PM »
Brokeback Ice Shack---that's too funny. 

Jigmaster5000- I didn't know I was allowed to join the team. Can I? Can I? Please???  By the way whose the coach and what game are we playing? 

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2007, 04:02 PM »
Brokeback Ice Shack---that's too funny. 

Jigmaster5000- I didn't know I was allowed to join the team. Can I? Can I? Please???  By the way whose the coach and what game are we playing? 
Jigmaster is the coach, the team, the judge, the ...................  He bought the logo   What can I say????

Offline diehard22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2007, 04:04 PM »
I find it to be terribly upsetting when people infringe on your fishing area.
I think most of the time it's people who don't really have much confidence in there own abilities and lack knowledge of the lake. It's most upsetting when you are out there with the wife or kids or whatever and just want to have a good time and let them catch some fish without some stranger looking over, wondering what your using etc. etc. I agree with the idea that you should go and talk to them first, if they say they would rather have you fish elsewhere or even give you hints or body language that suggest they would than find a new spot. Because isn't ice fishing about enjoying yourself and not infringing on other peoples space if they don't want rather than setting up right beside them because they look like they know what they are doing.
Rain, sun, sleet, snow grab the minnows and let's go!

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2007, 04:09 PM »
I find it to be terribly upsetting when people infringe on your fishing area.
I think most of the time it's people who don't really have much confidence in there own abilities and lack knowledge of the lake. It's most upsetting when you are out there with the wife or kids or whatever and just want to have a good time and let them catch some fish without some stranger looking over, wondering what your using etc. etc. I agree with the idea that you should go and talk to them first, if they say they would rather have you fish elsewhere or even give you hints or body language that suggest they would than find a new spot. Because isn't ice fishing about enjoying yourself and not infringing on other peoples space if they don't want rather than setting up right beside them because they look like they know what they are doing.

Totally
I go to high mountain lakes just to not fish with anyone around me.  We hear ya buddy

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2007, 04:20 PM »
Last Sun was fishing and started early in the am in a little cove. We are allowed 2 rods each and we had 3 people so had 6 lines in the water. We had cut around 15 holes starting shallow and heading out deeper, and were in the process of cutting more holes (2 augers going) pretty much in a straight line from where we had started, when a guy pulls up and walks 20 yards beyond the holes we were in the process of cutting and starts punching holes. A little while later here comes 2 of his buddies and they fish in the holes he had cut for a awhile, and weren't getting any bites so they start asking him where else is a good spot. The guy looks around and says right off that little point of rocks I've caught some and points to a spot 5 FEET from where my wife is fishing. He than says let's work our way over there. This got me a little red in the face so I grabbed my auger and walked over and started punching holes all over in the small area that was between them and my wife and promptly started to jig the h*** out of them. Apparently they figured it out (maybe it was my dirty looks >:() because they decided that wasn't the best direction to fish in. I understand I don't own the lake but I can't figure out why you would want to pull up and fish right in the middle of someone else's spread. We were on a big lake and by no means were we in the only spot to catch fish. We purposely got up at 5 am so we would get to that spot and here comes a guy at 10 and wants to fish in the middle of us. What do you guys think? Am I justified in being upset?
PS Guys if you're reading this I went over to your holes 5 minutes after you left and promptly jigged up an 18 incher ;)
     The worst case of crowding happened to my 8 year son back in the 70s.  He was pulling in nice Blue Gills one right after the other a guy came over my him and started drilling a hole about 6" form the hot hole. He drilled about 1/2 way before I told him where he would be wearing his augur if he took one more turn.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2007, 04:21 PM »
     The worst case of crowding happened to my 8 year son back in the 70s.  He was pulling in nice Blue Gills one right after the other a guy came over my him and started drilling a hole about 6" form the hot hole. He drilled about 1/2 way before I told him where he would be wearing his augur if he took one more turn.

That is some serious B.S.  I can't believe people do that.  What the he11 is going through their head???

Offline mcarolan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2007, 04:23 PM »
I tend to avoid fishing too close to others other than those I went out with because I'm a firm believer in don't touch or spoil another mans hole!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.