Author Topic: How close is too close?  (Read 10459 times)

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How close is too close?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2007, 04:24 PM »
Jigmaster is the coach, the team, the judge, the ...................  He bought the logo   What can I say????

As long as he isn't the cheer leader to!!!!

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2007, 04:24 PM »
I tend to avoid fishing too close to others other than those I went out with because I'm a firm believer in don't touch or spoil another mans hole!

Those are words to live by

Or don't touch another mans hole

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:06 PM »
i dont like when guys come up, see you catching fish, and then want to be cocky about it because their not catching any.  when someone comes up, and seems cool, maybe hes not catching anything, i dont mind sharing my space or pointing out any holes nearby that ive been hitting on. ill even share my tackle if the guy doesnt have what im catching fish on.  i do get annoyed when a guy comes plowing up and plops down right in between where im fishing, or jumping in a hole that ive dug, and am planning to move onto.  i always respect other guys space.  ill approach someone and talk, if hes in my favorite spot.  if he doesnt invite me to fish with him, then i move to a respectable distance, and i always make sure not to jump in any holes that he opened
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:36 AM »
Walltrout of course you're on the team, can you guess what your job is?

Hmmm.... I don't like where this is going.   :-\

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:39 AM »
I meant of course, that you were to scoop all of the holes I cut! :tipup: Walltrout, GET YOUR TEAM MT LOGO ONLINE!!!! It cost me an ice shanty patch from the proshop!

Damn straght

I do custom orders too

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Good norning Mooter!

What's crackin buddy???

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:47 AM »
I'm not even going to go there.

Hey nice LOGO

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:50 AM »
That hole is supposed to go on the front???!?!? Mooter in addition to the patch you will be recieving a series of papers from my lawyer which we need returned, signed in triplicate. They are simply a statment saying that: 1. You relinquish ownership of the Team MT logo for the price of 1 Ice Shanty patch. 2. In addition to ownership you relinquish all future rights of use of said logo. & finally 3. You will make no malicious remarks or comments pertaining to Team MT or any of it's members, under penalty of us breaking out our supply of "brokeback ice shack" jokes. Do you agree to these terms Mooter?

I think that those of us that live and fish as close as we from WY, MT and SD do, we should all use the same color code for putting our underwear on. I suggest that we all use the SD color  code of yellow in front and brown in back. How about it WY and MT??? :woot: >:D ;)2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:50 AM »
Yes, yes it is. Now if the rest of team MT would buck up and use it! Cost me a beautiful ice shanty patch!

Did you post in MT site for distribution?????

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:52 AM »
I think that those of us that live and fish as close as we from WY, MT and SD do, we should all use the same color code for putting our underwear on. I suggest that we all use the SD color  code of yellow in front and brown in back. How about it WY and MT??? :woot: >:D ;)2

depends on what day of the week it is

sometimes you need to turn them inside out

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:57 AM »
The problem w/ that is if you start out doing it wrong from the beginning you're never going to get it right! Also I have a friend who has both colors on the same side???!? ???

As long as we don't do like some places and wear them backwards on Thursdays.  :woot: :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:58 AM »
Yes, yes it is. Now if the rest of team MT would buck up and use it! Cost me a beautiful ice shanty patch!

Got it!! 

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:59 AM »
Got it!! 
spreading like wild fire

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:52 PM »
i normally dont mind when people get close or even within my spread but when i have a spread out and somebody puts their portable up in between me and my spread so that i cannot see my tip ups that really p's me to the boiling point i have come to blows with a guy on the ice for that reason and him saying "do you own the lake"  a little mutual respect goes along way
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:26 PM »
for all you guys bringing firearms out on the ice...i sure would have felt safer this november...i went to a lake with my family and my wife, about a half mile hike to the lake.  We got there and on the fresh snow (yesterday's)there were bear tracks across the lake.  14" back paw no exageration plain as day...we caught quite a few nice rainbows that day though ;D

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:49 PM »
for all you guys bringing firearms out on the ice...i sure would have felt safer this november...i went to a lake with my family and my wife, about a half mile hike to the lake.  We got there and on the fresh snow (yesterday's)there were bear tracks across the lake.  14" back paw no exageration plain as day...we caught quite a few nice rainbows that day though ;D
]

4 years ago I was out on a high mountian lake.  It was just me and a 6 pack.  A pack of dogs (6 or 8) came running across the lake straight for me.  I was helpless.  The only thing I had to protect myself was a cold beer and my ice auger.  Luckly when they got about 20 yards away they spooked and took off for the trees.  Now the 44 mag goes every where I do.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:58 PM »
I am at the opposite end of the scale from where I used to be on this topic. If Someone is getting close I'll start talking their ear off (so they know what they're in for). You'd be surprised how many just move along after only a few minutes!
It's either the talking or the fact that I fart alot!

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:09 PM »
Now the 44 mag goes every where I do.

Hmmmm..... I wonder what spooked them?   ;)

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:18 PM »
Boy you guys would be in for a surprise if ya fished around here lol We have a canal we go and when ya go to the springs you'll either be the first on there or Ya fish 5' from someone that is already there Just the way it is

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:19 PM »
Boy you guys would be in for a surprise if ya fished around here lol We have a canal we go and when ya go to the springs you'll either be the first on there or Ya fish 5' from someone that is already there Just the way it is

I don't think I would partake in that

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:27 PM »

My uncle was fishing a place like that once at a rive and he got tired of people crossing his lines and stepping on his tackle box.  So he goes to his truck and grabs his big heavy duty snagging rod and ties on a big weighted treble hook.  He walks back to his spot and makes one long cast upstream and reels in just slow enough to catch everyones lines.  Then he quickly cuts off the hook and reties and makes a similar cast downstream.  While everyone is working out the mess of their lines, he sits back and has 20 minutes of peacefull fishing.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:55 PM »
You go out there any everybody brings in a bucket of gills everyday day after day

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:09 PM »
Kinda depends on the day and what mood I am in .A couple days ago I heard this guy dragging his sled across the ice,and stop somwhere nearby. After he had set up I stuck my head outside(I dont have any windows) and he was sitting on his bucket useing MY SHACK as a back rest!!!LOL . Now normally I might be a little peeved by this ,but today the wind was blowing about 20 mph and temps were around 10 degrees. I chatted a couple seconds and told him to hop in if he wanted to warm up. He never did, and other than seeing his shadow through the ice I coulnd tell he was even there.

Tip- ups, I dont use them, no more than one at a time anyways. I find most tipup users to be greedy in that they set up there spread covering WAY more area than really nesessary, often across popular travel routes . These same "tipupman" whine when vehicles get close to their traps when THEY are the ones setting them right on or next to the trails.

This last week a hot gill bite was going on over a brush pile on my home lake. When I got there sunday afternoon and put out my hardfside,we were the only ones there besideds 2 other guys. within an hr and a half there was 60 or more guys fishing within 50 yds of us. we didnt even set up over the pile.All of this activity(been about the same every day) has more or less ended the bite. This is one reason my hardside has no windows. Hear no evil ,see no evil.

Offline jigmasterjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:45 PM »
i dont mind fishing right along side someone else if theyre friendly enough, ive often fished next to others and invited them to fish beside me when i catching fish and theyre not. the key word here i think is invited, its one thing to be welcomed in an area, its another thing all together to hone in on someone elses spot without showing any respect.

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:58 PM »
I generally don't mind someone setting up as long as they take the time to talk or at least say hello. It sucks to be there at 4 in the morning and have someone move in on you. Ive seen people drill holes right in front of peoples shanty doors to stay out of the wind  :%$#!: But the worst was a couple years ago. Had alot of snow and one guy brought out his plow and made a road to our shantys and cleared a large area around them so we could walk back and forth between shantys. No big deal lots of people were fishing in that area. later that weekend this guy drives up the plowed road, parks on it blocking it, and starts drilling holes, setting tip ups ON THE ROAD! Heres about twelve of us looking at each other in disbelief and the guy who plowed jumps in his truck and pulls up right to the front of the guys truck. He jumps out and tells the guy hes got 5 min. to move his crap or he's pushing his truck over to the dam. That dude was gone in 3 min. and haven't seen him since.
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 13, 2007, 12:50 AM »
i dont mind fishing right along side someone else if theyre friendly enough, ive often fished next to others and invited them to fish beside me when i catching fish and theyre not. the key word here i think is invited, its one thing to be welcomed in an area, its another thing all together to hone in on someone elses spot without showing any respect.
I'm with you. I don't mind being neighborly but don't start drilling holes through my spread because you feel it's your God given right! I say, DEFINATELY, show some respect! If you want that "honey spot" then get up a little earlier.
:icefish:

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 13, 2007, 01:15 AM »
I'm usually pretty easy going, however last year I hadn't been to my shack in a week, and I went out fishing one late morning Saturday.  When I got to the landing I could see someone set their shack next to mine.  When I drove out in my truck and I got closer, I saw they practically set their shack on top of mine.  To top it off, they had a tip up set 4 feet from my shacks door.  Now I'm fuming, and parked my truck right over his tip up.  Two days later his shack was gone, and I got to talking to some of the guys in my area, and they said he was a cop.  Doesn't mean he can cramp my style and drill right out my door.  It's a big lake, spread it out a bit.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 13, 2007, 05:42 AM »
I don't mind if some one comes over and talks and asks questions, but when they move in and won't even say hi that gets me mad. I can say for the most part that PA. is easy and every one plays nice so it is not a problem. To answer the question no closer than 30' from the last tip up in their spread with out asking or at least saying hi. A simple hi hows it going might be the difference between "just some one" and a friend for life. Thats my two cents.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #58 on: Jan 13, 2007, 06:53 AM »
I don't mind if someone sets up close as long as they are human about it and come over to talk you first.   I always talk to some of the people out on the lake, whether I know the lake or not, to get a feel for how things are.   But ASK before setting up closer than 100 feet or so.   I have made many friends on the ice this way and lets face it most icefishermen are friendly people.   I ice fish for the social aspect as well as the fact that I' addicted.   A little respect goes a long way.
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 13, 2007, 08:18 AM »
to me it sounds like some of u guys here r the jerks. majority of u arnt but there r some that sound like idiots

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.