Author Topic: Fishing with Plastics  (Read 3878 times)

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing with Plastics
« on: Jan 09, 2007, 12:30 PM »
How many of you give plastics a fair amount of fishing time? I think I would have to say that I use them at least 20% of the time. I favor the strips more, but do work some tubes and curlies also. This year I want to push them harder. Any favorite colors and species?

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing with Plastics
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2007, 01:11 PM »
 I fish with plastics all the time for chain pickerel.  I like double or single tail grubs, the powerbait ones seem to work best. Good colors are white, yellow , chartreuse and orange. Ive also had good luck getting big perch on small black and white tube jigs.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2007, 01:49 PM »
We all had better start practicing with palstic because if the Lib's and the special interest groups have their way "Live Bait, or Formerly Live" will be outlawed one piece at a time!  >:( :tipup:

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2007, 01:53 PM »
Take 3/o worm hook with an upward bent eye and wrap lead wire around the shank and rig it exposed in a tube.
Gives it a long slow glide instead of a fall. you can slide the weight to where ever you want  foreward for a nose dive faster fall, middle for a glide and to the rear for alot of action.. killer on the pike in glide mode. What ever color wks in the summer

Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2007, 03:55 PM »
I use powerbait micros and gulp for perch and it'll work for crappies to.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline BillP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:09 PM »
i use white single tailed grubs.. the small ones i put it on the hook of a swedish pimple and works good for white and yellow perch, bass, gills, mostly everything`
Fishing + Hunting + guitar = MY LIFE!!!!!

Fish on
Bill

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:01 PM »
for me when im on the ice for panfish 90% of my jigs will have a plastic on it.

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:47 AM »
Thanks everyone, I'm surprised that it seems more people are not using them. I wonder why. The fish I catch when using plastics seem to be bigger for some reason. Maybe it is a confidence thing. Some good info here and will try to put it to good use. RLWagner may be on to something there and the practice will come in handy. :)

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2007, 06:51 AM »
topwtr81 turned me on to plastics last year and I've been using them ever since.  Lindy tails, the Little-Atom plastics, and Maki plastics are all good choices and there's so much variety.  The Maki/Lobybait guys do quite a bit of experimenting and seem to know what they're talking about.... www.lobybaits.com

Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:00 AM »
For regular fishing i use platics all the time:
Powerbait worms & grubs
gulp grubs & worms
gary yamamoto salt impregnated worms

Ice fishing i use small gulp red earth worms

catch a variety of species on them, bass, pearch, bluegill, crappie, trout (brown and rainbow, even a few brookies).  Stil waiting to nail a pike on them though.

I will say about 95% of my fishing is done with plastics.  This is mainly do to the fact that most of my open water fishing is done at my place of work on my lunch break, and if i'm going to have enough time to fish, i can't afford to run to the bait store. 

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2007, 11:33 AM »
When fishing your plastics, do you guys normally fish the plastic only, or do you tip them with spikes, grubs, minnows, minnow heads etc? If you tip them what seems to work best for you? THX Appreciate the info.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2007, 12:55 PM »
i had alot of success using ratsos, and shrimpos, in green.  custom jigs and spins is the company that makes them.  an old timer introduced me to them last year, when the fish werent biting well, and wound up limiting out on gills.  i caught about 12 in a row on the same bait, and still have it.
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:18 PM »
When fishing your plastics, do you guys normally fish the plastic only, or do you tip them with spikes, grubs, minnows, minnow heads etc? If you tip them what seems to work best for you? THX Appreciate the info.

I usually just keep tryin with different colors, sizes ect without bait first, if i dont get much, i try adding a small strip of fish or a small minnow...usually all it takes. If you wanna try somethng really different tip it with a long slimmy piece of bacon fat and rig it to look like a worm/leech, one of my fav thngs to do when nothin else seems to work
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:24 PM »
For me it depends on the live bait that is available, I have to depend on pet food stors for my waxies do it is easier to carry Berklry honeyworms and they work great as well....for pike I never use plastics altough I have seen it done

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:36 PM »

I have used the cubby mini mite for many years with good results in clear water it gets every thing from walleye to blue gills and just kills the perch on most of the north pa. lakes I fish hard or open water. ;D

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:55 PM »
Mine come in aluminium or glass but they are starting to come out in plastics ;D
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:33 PM »
for lakers , landlock sal. and big brookies. i only use 3 1/2in. pearl power tubes w/ 3/8oz. jig head. if you have the patience it will outfish the tip ups. learned this on this site from a lake st. george , ny fisherman.

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2007, 04:22 AM »
From the posts I'm feeling that most of you who use plastic do so in open water also, frequently.  I also see that some use plastic out of necessity. Whatever, it seems that if you put the time in for either reason that you are getting good results. That is what I wanted to know, if the plastic through the ice is worthwhile enough to be given the chance more often. Some good information has been given here and I appreciate it and thank all of you. I'm going to try as many of these suggestions as I can this year. Any other info will be greatly appreciated.THX again. IR
Mine come in aluminium or glass but they are starting to come out in plastics ;D
You definitely need more fishing time! :D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:58 PM »
ive seen times that the lakers will hit a bait on the tip up, kill it and leave. drop a tube down there and wham! he'll nail it every time!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2007, 12:42 AM »
I fish with plastics alot. I find that plastics have a more fluid motion to them then some of the other lures, it may help when the fish are fussy, plus when the chomp down they feel something soft and chewy not hard and crunchy. 
I use quite a few different shapes and sizes depending on the fish I am targeting.
I have found one of the best to single tail grub in white. :)

WW

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:13 AM »
I don't know about you guys but when I go fishing, I always have the feeling that I somehow don't want to miss something. Maybe the tried but true methods take first priority because of it. But... when I fish plastics maybe I try harder, I'm not sure, but I do know when I catch fish on plastic only, I really feel more satisfaction then I did using bait. That sense is getting more enjoyable the last couple years and that is why I wanted to see where you guys stood on the subject. We have to fool-em, so maybe knowing it is phony we do try harder. I don't know. THX
         IR

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:50 AM »
Ice rover,
I'm getting alot like what you described. After a few in the freezer i kinda relax and enjoy sight fishing with homeade ice flies. after i got better at tying flies and put alot of time in on the ice i'm now to the point of not using live bait much.
I fish N. channel alot and there is a really cool feeling of icing a 16" crappie on a bait you made with no bait. It's not for everyone as it can also drive you NUTS!!

Waiting for a big one to slowly ease up behind the fly only to have him suck it in and blow it back out before you can set the hook.  Twice !  AARG

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:24 AM »
Ice rover,
 It's not for everyone as it can also drive you NUTS!!
I think your right, maybe were just suckers for punishment, but it is so therapeutic. :%$#!: ;D

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:38 PM »
plastics are definately the most consistant way to go if you can't use live bait...i love to use them with oils and sents or tip them with bait

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:36 PM »
definitly use scents or salted plastics! makes a big difference!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:43 PM »
I have tried different scents and lotions on the plastics and i've not done noticly better. (maybe i just suck?) :(  I'm from the color, size and motion school.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:49 PM »
i like to try plastics on a good school of perch.....c4 :woot:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2007, 05:57 AM »
i like to try plastics on a good school of perch.....c4 :woot:
It might get a lot of perch but you would not want to be on the ice when you press the detonator on the c-4 :o

PWR BAIT

« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2007, 06:17 AM »
I use plastics all year round esspecilly twister tails, during the winter months I use 1or 2 inch twisters with 1/64 to1/16 weight sometimes with bait and  allot of times without it produces for me.

Offline mcwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2007, 09:24 AM »
good thread.  i'm more a live bait guy than a plastics user.  Having said that, it looks like I'm gonna give plastics a try this year.  We just got a whack of live bait transportation restrictions that are gonna make a significant impact locally.  Going out with a guy soon who's a big plastics user.  Hafta see what i can learn!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.