Author Topic: Fishing with Plastics  (Read 3879 times)

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing with Plastics
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2007, 10:09 AM »
I have found plastic will catch fish when nothing else will work.  A fishing buddy that convinced me to try plastic said "you won't be good with plastic till you leave your bait home."  He was right.  Now though however I use both.  Sometimes one and if that isn't working, make the switch.
Shut up and fish.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2007, 10:28 AM »
Over the last year or two, I've been increasing my use of plastics generally.  In December, I was on Lake of the Woods and caught crappie and a mess of perch on a small round head jig with an unscented twin tail grub...that was enough to sell me.  It saves time since you aren't rebaiting all the time.

In a variety of situations, I've used unscented, PowerBait, Yum, and Gulp.  One of the bigger problems I have, particularly in winter, is finding the smaller plastics.  Give me a 1-2 inch grub, twister tail, or something like a mimic minnow and you can catch a lot of fish (my wife caught a 31" pike in open water in September using a small jig and twister tail), whereas, big plastics will limit the fish you can catch to an extent (i.e. can't catch the smaller fish as easily).

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2007, 03:37 PM »
YOU BET YA PLASTIC WORKS, BETTER AT CERTIN TIMES AND WHEN USING CERTIN TYPES AND SENTS, WHEN THE FISH ARE IN A AGRESSIVE MOOD IT CAN BE FAST AND FERIOUS.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2007, 06:50 PM »
I sight fish for NEGATIVE fish and they have good results on these guys. A single 1" strip on a #16 hook. 2# floro.  takes like 10 seconds to get down 3-5 ft but man it looks.....SEXY!!!!!!!!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2007, 04:50 AM »
Glad to see the interest in plastics. There is alot of good information here and it seems that some like myself are getting more into it lately. You guys who have shared your skills with us have only increased our confidence to work longer and harder and now smarter. By what I'm reading I feel that using scented baits is also a big plus. Can't wait to try everything. THX

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:53 PM »
I use Little Atom plastics. I started using them a couple of years ago. I think the action on them is second to none. I don't use bait with them much because they have C-9 in them. If I do it's usually a spike.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.