Author Topic: GAMES TO PLAY DURING SLOW BITES  (Read 31781 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
GAMES TO PLAY DURING SLOW BITES
« on: Dec 28, 2006, 10:46 AM »
As you can tell, I like to have a good time outdoors.  You don't need hot bites and sleds full of fish to have fun.  So, instead of packing up I normally invent some kind of weird game to pass that mid afternoon slow bite.  So here are a couple...you need some pretty perfect condition for some of them:

Glare ice - 1.75 litre Golf.  You need an 8" auger for best results.  Near your tipups drill a second hole (or just make sure they are marked somehow)  Now, use and empty 1.75 litre booze bottle and fill half full of water.  Now the rules are like shuffle board and golf kind of.  You must "bowl" the bottle across the ice with tipping it over.  Tip over is a 1 stroke penalty and you reshoot from the same spot.  Obviously, you're trying to get to the second hole near the tipup (or marked hole)  2 stroke penalty for hitting tip ups.  Wind is a big factor and you can't believe how far these will slide when you get your technique down.  There is also Bocce version but it takes to long to explain here.

Snow covered ice - Perch Darts.  (you will need 4-6 hard frozen perch)  When you freeze these perch fan their tails out on the ice and when they get frozen, dunk them in the hole and continue to reglaze them until you get a nice thick coating of ice.  Take a rag or towel and tear strips about 18" x 2"....tie this to the perchs tail giving it about 14" long.  Now, take a shovel and make a pile of snow 18" deep and the size of a kiddie pool.  Put a center maker of some kind in the center.  Play same rules as horseshoes.  You need to get back a ways and swing the perch by the rag tail and let it fly like a lawn dart.  You need nice and hard slushy snow so you might have to add some water and slush up your "perch pit".  But they will stick like lawn darts when tossed correctly and people will think you have lost your mind if they happen to figure out what your doing.

Needle Nose Frizbee - Take a regular frizbee.  Use awl on leathermans tool to make small hole in the outer rim.  Take medium treble hook on a short leader and attach to rim of frizbee using that hole - poking it through the hole from the outside and then knotting on the inside works best.  Spread out on the ice.  Take off your gloves.  Play catch with it.  When someone screams out in pain when they catch it, everyone else laughs and yells "Get the needlenose!!!" Pretty fun....

(ok...don't play that last one.  I have just been tossing the idea around - no pun intended.  But it seems to be a game you could get hooked on - pun totally intended)

Now....keep in mind that any time your good time, messes up someone elses good time...these games might not be appropriate around...well....almos t anyone.  So don't be a pest.  And as far as throwing perch...well, they ate just fine and (since they are hydrodynamic) fly very naturally and very well.  The game was a series of "weird events".  I had a perch on a tip up and it was around -3.  If you dropped a fish on the ice, it stuck like velcro.  Well...I decided to hang it from my waist (or put it in my pocket..not smart)..then my pal yelled 'throw me that perch'...at -3 degrees swinging from a length of rag...a perch will freeze solid in 10 minutes in the wind.  So I threw it and it FLEW.  And it was hysterical.  Trust me...they're fish.  If you feel differently...here's an analogy:  Pheasant hunting last week I turned some MN guys onto some birds...as he held a nice 2 year spurred bird he says "God...that's a healthy bird!!....  Gorgeous"  Well....I think we covered respect for animals.  The dead bird in his hand was "georgeous and healthy".  The one he sent hot lead through, pursued by dogs and had it's neck wrung by me.  Trust me, if I'm a perch (dead one), I would like to at least be the center of attention for a while...kind of like any fish on your wall that gets gawked at at parties that was never harvested for any reason other than it's size and there for no ones glory other than yours. (I do glass mount - and have no beef with the real thing)

(reason being for the additions to this post (last paragraph)...some mouth breather told me it was disrespectfful to do that to fish and he admittedly had several mounts from live fish)  Makes sense....if your nuts!   ???

STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: GAMES TO PLAY DURING SLOW BITES
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2006, 09:28 AM »
Heres another game to play when the bite is slow:

1. With an eight inch auger, drill a series of holes from shallow to deeper water.

2. Take live bait, place on jig then drop into hole.

3. Slow down your former movements when the bite was fast and furious, but probe the water column.

4. If no luck, move to another hole.

5. The winner is he who figures out how to catch fish when the bite slows down.

6. You may need to relocate to a different area on the ice.

7. Sometimes changing colors, down-sizing jigs or switching bait types can assist you at winning this game.

8. Good luck to all players! :) :tipup: :tipup:

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2006, 10:43 AM »
Needle Nose Frizbee - Take a regular frizbee.  Use awl on leathermans tool to make small hole in the outer rim.  Take medium treble hook on a short leader and attach to rim of frizbee using that hole - poking it through the hole from the outside and then knotting on the inside works best.  Spread out on the ice.  Take off your gloves.  Play catch with it.  When someone screams out in pain when they catch it, everyone else laughs and yells "Get the needlenose!!!" Pretty fun....

Hi
I'm Johnny Knoxville.  Welcome to icefishing Jackass

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2006, 05:36 PM »
we play a game called beer bowling     its actually more similar to horeshoes        teams of 2 each have 2 full un opened beers.  you drill 2 holes half way through the ice i dont remember the distance as was taught to me   so we usually go 30 feet apart or there about   you then proceed to roll the beers. 1 point for one in 3 for 2 your opponents can cover you the same as in horeshoes though. Alot of fun ...   oh yeah the good part after 15-20 rolls on  warmer days and can be considerably less on colder days  sometimes 3 or 4 if flags or other things happen .  if you bust your beer open you then have to chug it immediately if you happen to lose it all you have to drink another in play. Surprisingly the ones that bust usually dont spill completely. usually you can count on this to happen alot once one has busted... 

Offline chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:27 AM »
We play bocce ball, but use a tennis ball instead of the little white ball (bolina)
Can't wait to play perch darts.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2006, 10:39 AM »
bring your favorite flippin stick from open water season and practice flippin to a hole or fish you got on the ice will kill time pretty easy
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline bigchev98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing like some fun on the ice!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2006, 02:19 PM »
i know this is mean but if the bites are really really slow we usually pick on one person. when he is out checking his traps you take a snowball and throw it at his trap causing the flag to go up then everyone starts yelling FLAG! and runs to his trap and find nothing. i know this sounds mean by reading it but i swear you will be laughing your behinds off when you do it.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2006, 01:37 PM »
Can't wait to play perch darts.
why didnt I think of that!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:20 PM »
lol one time i seen people playing dodge ball on the ice ???

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2007, 04:28 PM »
IF you can dodge a perch you can dodge a ball
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:33 PM »

1. With an eight inch auger, drill a series of holes from shallow to deeper water.

3. Slow down your former movements when the bite was fast and furious, but probe the water column.

7. Sometimes changing colors, down-sizing jigs or switching bait types can assist you at winning this game.

If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:33 PM »

Thats the same game i like to play :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline beanhillbuckhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:36 AM »
We play this game, it's kind of a cross between drinking horse shoes and shuffleboard.  Bring a shovel if you don't have glare ice.
I put all the rules on this page: http://www.vu.union.edu/~gauglerb/beanhillbuckhunters/hunt/fish/2007/index.html
There's a short video clip there too... It's a blast if you feel like getting blasted.

Look forward to playing perch darts...

Offline EGR David

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2007, 01:18 PM »
what we play is a game called slippery spot.  out of habit while your sitting waiting for a flag, everyone, i mean everyone, instinctively moves their boots back and forth clearing the snow.  Eventually you get a runway about 30 feet in length.  A person runs and slides the entire length.  The game can take many different forms.  1.  kinda like "horse" where a person does a certain trick and the others have to match his trick.  2.  place a chair at the end of the runway and have people try to sit down in the chair.  3.  roller derby where guys go 3 or 4 at a time and try to push others down.  This last one is done after a few.  creat your own slippery spot version.

Offline fisheraug4life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If ice fishing was a job, then I'd be glad to go!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2007, 07:23 PM »
skimmer hockey
---------------

material:2 skimmers and a beer can.

if bites are going slow in the shanty or on the ice grab the skimmers and a beer can and play hockey with it.

NOTE: need to be drunk. example:  :wacko:  :tipup:  :wacko:
Fish in the shack, while smoking a few cigs. D##n! That's a good day for me.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2007, 04:42 AM »
These are too funny!  :bow: :roflmao: :thumbsup: My buddies and I usually just do the snowball fight thing. Or later in the season when the ice is thicker I drive my truck out. If the bite is slow I'll cut a spread for tip downs out in front of the truck and pop a DVD in in my truck and watch that.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline fisheraug4life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If ice fishing was a job, then I'd be glad to go!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2007, 04:28 PM »
what do ya watch out of curiosity? ???
Fish in the shack, while smoking a few cigs. D##n! That's a good day for me.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2007, 09:43 PM »
 Grumpy Old Men is usually the first choice, followed usually by some other funny movie examples: Blue Collar Comedy Tour, Ron White You Can't Fix Stupid, Robin Hood Men In Tights and so on so forth, maybe even some of the animated movies, depends on what everyone wants to watch, I tell'em to bring movies with if we're drivin out and the fishin may be slow
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2007, 04:09 PM »
I never play games-If the fishing is slow I keep moving and drilling. try diff baits,lures,etc. Never stop.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2007, 01:51 PM »
I played perch darts last winter too, another good fish to use are pickerel!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2007, 02:11 PM »
yeah..can't go wrong with the perch darts.

I'm just hoping to have 3" of ice by the weekend...sick of pheasant hunting...I think I might actually be getting in shape.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2007, 03:00 PM »
HAHAHA yeah, you don't want to get in shape. thinking about drilling a 4 inch deep hole in the ice and maybe playing perch golf or something, hey what the heck right? something to kill time in between flags

Offline Rice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Party on the ice !!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2007, 03:21 PM »
I like all of these..but the one most rememberable was the **The run and jump on sled thats on ice**sorry not for the old timer....Clear off 25yards 0f ice. ...set childs sled @ start of runway..run at speed of your choice. ...jump on sled ....and fly,,,,,sometimes!!!!!!!!!mark your spot,,,Next...whats fun about this sport you ask ????????kinda like nascar.Just waiting for a wreck!! :clap: 
"beer,bait & bull".......

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"></a>

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2007, 03:52 PM »
last year we had a small fold out chair that we would run full speed and land on the chair on your belly and slide across glare ice. by no means safe but fun

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2007, 04:05 PM »
if it gets slow we usually play alot of pratical jokes on each other.  anything from rigging a jiggin hole with a can of raveolie's so that when using the fish finder it appears that there is a fish on following the lure.  Which is really fun when the victim (in this case hasn't caught a touge on slowbago in years) starts hootin and hollarin cause he things he may have a trophy fish on the end of his line only to find out he has a nice prepared meal on the end of his line.

Occasionally someone will bring a pellet gun and misteriously tip-ups start goin up but nothing is wrong on the bait end of it. 

both are kinda cruel but when the fishing is slow there is not much else to do

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2007, 05:40 PM »

Now thats my game
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:54 AM »
I like playing practical jokes on my buddies while the fishing is slow.  When nobody is looking wrap the handle of your ice skimmer your buddies line, drop down hole.  Wait for your buddy to notice his rod is bent, then sit back and have a laugh. The ice skimmer dances in the water was he brings it up making it feel kind of like a fish.  Have gotten more than one person with this.  My buddy thought he had a hog on, he still isn't talking to me.

Also, kind of mean, but drill a hole outside the hut so as no one notices.  Reach in and gaff your buddies line.  Then go running off while tugging on the line.  Feels like a monster fish.  Have a buddy who we did this two years ago too.  He still talks about that fish that got away.  Just can't bring myself to tell him it was me pullin on his line.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline davieb78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:24 AM »
i know this is mean but if the bites are really really slow we usually pick on one person. when he is out checking his traps you take a snowball and throw it at his trap causing the flag to go up then everyone starts yelling FLAG! and runs to his trap and find nothing. i know this sounds mean by reading it but i swear you will be laughing your behinds off when you do it.

This is also one of my beloved ice games!

Offline dvsbruce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Here's one I like!

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2008, 04:11 AM »
you should ask them to play a round of perch darts with you ;D ;)
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.