The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sumthin to do While You Wait for Ice  (Read 11297 times)

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sumthin to do While You Wait for Ice
« Reply #90 on: Feb 23, 2023, 09:38 AM »
Carpboy, if you love fishing for wild trout you should try out some of the Keystone Select waters. If you haven't heard or seen about them, they are the place to find monster browns and rainbows, easily find 20"+ fish. There's some sprinkled all through out the state, in my back yard I have a nice mile section.

All these photos of monster bucks really make me feel some sorta way for missing one in archery this year, and then not seeing another for the next 10+ times out in the woods.  :'(

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Feb 26, 2023, 01:32 AM »
At this point I am packing it in and working in my boat. Just installed a nee trolling motor.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Feb 26, 2023, 07:30 AM »
Putting the gear away today, 9 more months until next ice.  :tipup:   FT

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 28, 2023, 12:56 PM »
Thanks SteidyJ.  I have fished Penn's Creek near Milheim.  Was in October and was so low I had no idea how fish could live there until I found a deeper run and had a blast with some very large browns on tiny dries.  I was impressed.  I can see why it draws a crowd during the green drake hatch.  Thanks again and keep your line in the water!

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Feb 28, 2023, 01:14 PM »
For sure Carp, I know of Penn's from my time at PSU, never dunked a line in there, now I am wishing I had!, not like I had that many skunk days with the density of PA's stocked waters. But I was always looking for different creeks while I was there, everyone and their cousin raving about Spring Creek this, fisherman's paradise that, had no desire to fish there surrounded by my closest 40,000 friends. Absolutely loved bushwacking Rothrock and Black Mo and finding a deep blue hole to spend some time admiring.
Wish I would've gotten the chance to meet you and RN on the hard water this year, maybe some open water opportunities will have our paths/lines cross!
Jake

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Feb 28, 2023, 01:27 PM »
Appreciate it SteidyJ.  My open water is usually restricted to fly fishing the Delaware River and occasionally the Lackawanna River which is in my backyard.  But the Big D is my sanctuary.  If you are ever in the mood to take a trip up to the Hancock, NY area for some wild trout, drop me a line.  I have a camper on right on the Delaware across the river from Hancock.  I used to go there almost once per week, but my fishing friend was unable to physically make it the past 5 years and then passed away. I have been to the camper once this past year to fish and none the two prior years other than to open it up and close it.  Sad.  PM me if you want contact info

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Feb 28, 2023, 04:05 PM »
I have new waders and boots I’m dying to try out George................ .(and could use some fly fishing pointers!)  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 28, 2023, 05:17 PM »
Rutt, you are always welcome to fish the West Branch of the Delaware river with me at the camper.  I have enough fly rods, reels, and flies to get you on the water.  You can even fish for walleye, smallies, stripers, and shad with regular gear when the time is right.  Mostly fish for those on the main stem down river a bit. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Feb 28, 2023, 10:14 PM »
Sounds good George, THANKS!  @) I will gladly take you up on the offer! Maybe we can get Jake up there and I can pick your 2 brains on everything fly fishing?  ;)

I am the first to admit I have a lot to learn about the fine art of fly fishing...........
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Mar 01, 2023, 05:00 AM »
Oh geez, If you guys are cooking I'm IN!!! Do I need an invite or can I just crash this party!?  ;D

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Mar 01, 2023, 06:55 AM »

Walleye bite is still good here near the border. Big smallies and catfish soon!!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Mar 01, 2023, 07:45 AM »
Oh geez, If you guys are cooking I'm IN!!! Do I need an invite or can I just crash this party!?  ;D

You know George is ALWAYS cooking............... something!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Mar 01, 2023, 10:39 AM »
No invite necessary Spiderman.  You are always welcome.   Let's make a plan as we get into April.  It ain't fishin if we ain't eatin.....

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Mar 01, 2023, 11:16 AM »

Walleye bite is still good here near the border. Big smallies and catfish soon!!

Nice looking fish!  @)  Is that a Susky walleye?
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Mar 01, 2023, 09:33 PM »
“Something to do while you wait for ice”..............well, I got to meet Steidyj tonight and put a face to a name. We were hoping to do so on the ice somewhere this season but that just didn’t happen. So fortunately he lives in the same town as my mom and I came down here today to take her to a medical appointment.

We met at the local brew pub and shared stories. And hopefully we will meet again soon with fishing rods in our hands instead of beer glasses!  ;) ;D

NICE to meet you Jake! Looking forward to doing some fishing next time instead of just talking about it!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Mar 02, 2023, 06:09 AM »
No invite necessary Spiderman.  You are always welcome.   Let's make a plan as we get into April.  It ain't fishin if we ain't eatin.....

so would this be streamer, wet or dry? I guess it doesn't matter, I'll probably spend more time trying to not decorate the foliage with pretty bits of feather and silk.   ::)

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Mar 02, 2023, 07:27 AM »
Depends on what the water tells us Spider.  Trout feed under the surface most of the time, but I happen to be a dry fly fisherman, so I am always hunting for risers.  There are no restrictions on what you can fish with so any rod and reel method is legal.   Sorry Rutt, jaw-jackers won't work. 

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Mar 02, 2023, 08:34 AM »
“Something to do while you wait for ice”..............well, I got to meet Steidyj tonight and put a face to a name. We were hoping to do so on the ice somewhere this season but that just didn’t happen. So fortunately he lives in the same town as my mom and I came down here today to take her to a medical appointment.

We met at the local brew pub and shared stories. And hopefully we will meet again soon with fishing rods in our hands instead of beer glasses!  ;) ;D

NICE to meet you Jake! Looking forward to doing some fishing next time instead of just talking about it!  ;D

Thanks for getting me out of the house Rutt (SNAKEBITE)! What a wild story and experience that was! Very much looking forward to finding some scaley critters with you!

Tying flies is a lot of fun and there's something special about catching a fish on something you tied. One thing I want to get more into this year is streamers! Last year was Euro-Nymphing and I've got that to a proficient level, but I really want to find some Susqy, Skook, or Lehigh 16"+ fish with a streamer. Nothing beats the chase and strike of a streamer, but I could make an argument that risers after a dry get your heart going just as much Carpboy!

To say the least very excited for spring to sprung and might be putting some hours on the waders this weekend!

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Mar 02, 2023, 11:33 AM »
Nice looking fish!  @)  Is that a Susky walleye?
it is!!! Might head out later but on the NY side for a few more they should be getting ready to spawn soon up here.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Mar 02, 2023, 10:14 PM »
Depends on what the water tells us Spider.  Trout feed under the surface most of the time, but I happen to be a dry fly fisherman, so I am always hunting for risers.  There are no restrictions on what you can fish with so any rod and reel method is legal.   Sorry Rutt, jaw-jackers won't work.

What?! I am working on putting floats on mine George! 😜
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Mar 02, 2023, 10:16 PM »
Thanks for getting me out of the house Rutt (SNAKEBITE)! What a wild story and experience that was! Very much looking forward to finding some scaley critters with you!

Tying flies is a lot of fun and there's something special about catching a fish on something you tied. One thing I want to get more into this year is streamers! Last year was Euro-Nymphing and I've got that to a proficient level, but I really want to find some Susqy, Skook, or Lehigh 16"+ fish with a streamer. Nothing beats the chase and strike of a streamer, but I could make an argument that risers after a dry get your heart going just as much Carpboy!

To say the least very excited for spring to sprung and might be putting some hours on the waders this weekend!

The only “scaley critters” I wanna see now BETTER have fins!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Mar 02, 2023, 10:17 PM »
it is!!! Might head out later but on the NY side for a few more they should be getting ready to spawn soon up here.

Very nice! Good luck on the spawners!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Mar 03, 2023, 01:33 PM »

While waiting for ice on weekends I been wrapping a ton of ice rods during the weekdays after work! It’s been dismal local but a short 2 hour drive north and it’s still on!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #113 on: Mar 03, 2023, 07:05 PM »
You need a valid passport and also need to submit to a complete strip search at the customs stations on the border of PA / NY at all major crossings in order for you PA guys to extend your season and fish in a real ice fishing state that has ice. We will take your money if you really like ice fishing as much as you claim to. I have my doubts about that. Hardwaterhonkey drives farther than you do to get to good ice
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Mar 03, 2023, 09:08 PM »
You need a valid passport and also need to submit to a complete strip search at the customs stations on the border of PA / NY at all major crossings in order for you PA guys to extend your season and fish in a real ice fishing state that has ice. We will take your money if you really like ice fishing as much as you claim to. I have my doubts about that. Hardwaterhonkey drives farther than you do to get to good ice

🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, I heard your Governor personally inspects every vehicle to make sure we don’t bring in any of our “bad” guns into your safe and secure state!   ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Mar 04, 2023, 02:41 AM »
Fishing almost close to good spots isn’t fishing, it’s wishing. I really want to extend my season but praying a big fish comes to my sub par safe ice location isn’t doing it for me. Sad panda for sure but hopefully it’s not the last winter we see. I put my stuff away and looking forward to spring. Only one major trek to chaumont and I messed up 2 opportunities so I will need to stew on that a while. LAMENT is the descriptor that I am using for 2022/23 ice. Coulda shoulda woulda in December but then the weather decided not this year. Cudos to those that got out and had success. I am chalking up an L for this season.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Mar 04, 2023, 06:19 AM »
LOL! Yeah, I don't think this is the last winter we will ever see again. I just think this guy...

just lost a bet to his brother or something!  ;D

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Mar 04, 2023, 01:09 PM »
I told you guys back on December -19th -2022 that the cold wave that ran all the way to Mexico would break the jet stream and would give you 2 days of cold at Christmas then that would set the stage for all other cold air this winter. It is only the east that didn't have much of a winter. The west had a very harsh and snowy winter , with record cold and snow in Arizona , California , Utah , Wyoming , both Dakotas, and Oregon , just not us .

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Mar 04, 2023, 01:43 PM »
I also thought this year was a bust. But some said they hear the same thing every year and then we get ice. Well not this year. Lets hope next year is  much better.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Mar 05, 2023, 06:29 AM »
This is what we’ve been doing this weekend............... ...

Little coyote eradication on The Farm

Even hunted a bit at night with the predator light.
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.