The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sumthin to do While You Wait for Ice  (Read 11262 times)

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sumthin to do While You Wait for Ice
« Reply #120 on: Mar 05, 2023, 12:37 PM »
Last year was Euro-Nymphing and I've got that to a proficient level, but I really want to find some Susqy, Skook, or Lehigh 16"+ fish with a streamer. Nothing beats the chase and strike of a streamer, but I could make an argument that risers after a dry get your heart going just as much Carpboy!

To say the least very excited for spring to sprung and might be putting some hours on the waders this weekend!
The euro game is deadly around us so many good creeks and rivers that flow nicely enough to get good drifts euro flies  are pretty simple and easy to tie also good work steidy lax is fishing pretty well just about the whole stretch has good flow

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #121 on: Mar 05, 2023, 09:08 PM »
🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, I heard your Governor personally inspects every vehicle to make sure we don’t bring in any of our “bad” guns into your safe and secure state!   ;) ;D

I don't ice fish with guns and I am sorry that you do - that might explain why you never catch anything in PA during whatever your ice fishing season is ( NONE ) , if there even is a season. I use tipups and rods for ice fishing - you might want to give those a try, and also move to a state that has ice for more than 2 days a year. I am hammering fish on NY ice that you can only dream about buddy  ::)
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #122 on: Mar 06, 2023, 06:38 AM »
geez I'm getting tired of all the assholes on the site recently. See you guys around.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Mar 06, 2023, 07:21 AM »
geez I'm getting tired of all the assholes on the site recently. See you guys around.

No you won’t...................they just hide behind their screen names/computers!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #124 on: Mar 06, 2023, 08:31 AM »
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Mar 06, 2023, 12:37 PM »
The euro game is deadly around us so many good creeks and rivers that flow nicely enough to get good drifts euro flies  are pretty simple and easy to tie also good work steidy lax is fishing pretty well just about the whole stretch has good flow

Thanks HHH, yeah we are fortunate that we have so many various types of fishing we can keep ourselves busy with! I really enjoy tying nymphs, and leeches, both work pretty well for nymphing. I have tied some dries but they are definitely more tedious and technical and I haven't mastered tying those, and I lucked into a large assortment of various flies from a past friend that tied new ones every year so I haven't even gotten through that stock pile yet.

How'd you make out Yote hunting Rutt!? Hopefully thinned the pack a bit, this warm winter sure didn't slow them down at all!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Mar 06, 2023, 02:08 PM »
I agree Spider.  I have never been a big fan of social media but thought a site about ice fishing for those that enjoy pursuing the sport would get together like-minded individuals to discuss a shared recreational pastime.  Seems some take it a bit too seriously as if life revolves around them and whether they fish better waters, catch more, or think they are simply superior to all others at something as humble as ice fishing.  They must get dizzy.  I enjoyed a lot of conversations with some good people but it doesn't take many to make it intolerable.  I am kind of glad the ice fishing forum season has come to an end.  Sadly glad.  For those of you that want to correspond, send me a PM and I will respond.   SIQ, I owe you some garlic bulbs this year for planting.  Keep in touch.  Peace

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Mar 06, 2023, 05:01 PM »
Yep- I go out on the ice to have a good time, get some fresh air and RELAX.............if I catch some fish then it’s a plus!

I feel sorry for those who have to make everything a competition........... ..GOTTA catch the most fish, gotta catch the biggest fish, gotta catch the rarest fish! Geez.................l ife is too short to get all worked up about that &$@#!  ::)

And it’s really too bad there had to be all the negativity on the PA Forum this year.................. ....I really try to stay away from it. Again, life is too short!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Mar 06, 2023, 06:20 PM »
I don't ice fish with guns and I am sorry that you do - that might explain why you never catch anything in PA during whatever your ice fishing season is ( NONE ) , if there even is a season. I use tipups and rods for ice fishing - you might want to give those a try, and also move to a state that has ice for more than 2 days a year. I am hammering fish on NY ice that you can only dream about buddy  ::)

Since I was 18 , 47 years ago I have never been did I say NEVER BEEN - UNARMED when I fish or icefish .

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #129 on: Mar 06, 2023, 07:26 PM »
I agree Spider.  I have never been a big fan of social media but thought a site about ice fishing for those that enjoy pursuing the sport would get together like-minded individuals to discuss a shared recreational pastime.  Seems some take it a bit too seriously as if life revolves around them and whether they fish better waters, catch more, or think they are simply superior to all others at something as humble as ice fishing.  They must get dizzy.  I enjoyed a lot of conversations with some good people but it doesn't take many to make it intolerable.  I am kind of glad the ice fishing forum season has come to an end.  Sadly glad.  For those of you that want to correspond, send me a PM and I will respond.   SIQ, I owe you some garlic bulbs this year for planting.  Keep in touch.  Peace
I’m the same way carp, this is my only form of social media and I am definitely not better then the next time in reality I’m fairly modest compared to some I’ve experienced alot and fished ALOT that’s all no hard feelings I want everyone to get out on the ice if it’s not close then make a drive if you want it no one is saying they fish better lakes maybe colder lakes was meant by that don’t take anything to heart from what people say on this site it’s just trolls hiding behind computers isn’t it???

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Mar 06, 2023, 07:29 PM »
Thanks HHH, yeah we are fortunate that we have so many various types of fishing we can keep ourselves busy with! I really enjoy tying nymphs, and leeches, both work pretty well for nymphing. I have tied some dries but they are definitely more tedious and technical and I haven't mastered tying those, and I lucked into a large assortment of various flies from a past friend that tied new ones every year so I haven't even gotten through that stock pile yet.

Parents are in lackawaxen if you wanna get out on the lower section for pellet head season let me know! The dries are tough I don’t do them with the hackle gauge and this and that too much! There are some experienced tiers 45 minutes from there in roscoe that don’t charge much I give trout town USA my dry fly business

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Mar 06, 2023, 08:38 PM »
It's all good.  Just one of those testy ice seasons.   I love to tie flies, especially parachutes and hackle spinners.  I think that even if I didn't fish, I would still tie flies. There's a sense of accomplishment to see a thing made of string and feathers come to life.  The Lackawaxan is a beautiful river.  It's a shame the release from the Pack is not a bottom cold water release.  It could be a decent tailwater fishery from Kimbles bridge down.   Looking forward to a good early dry fly season on the Delaware.  Climate change has even impacted the hatches.  Seem to be earlier every year.  Happy thoughts and tight lines boys and girls!

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Mar 07, 2023, 05:46 AM »
It's all good.  Just one of those testy ice seasons.   I love to tie flies, especially parachutes and hackle spinners.  I think that even if I didn't fish, I would still tie flies. There's a sense of accomplishment to see a thing made of string and feathers come to life.  The Lackawaxan is a beautiful river.  It's a shame the release from the Pack is not a bottom cold water release.  It could be a decent tailwater fishery from Kimbles bridge down.   Looking forward to a good early dry fly season on the Delaware.  Climate change has even impacted the hatches.  Seem to be earlier every year.  Happy thoughts and tight lines boys and girls!
Brookfield sucks in that aspect they hold water back a ton and then when they release it you have a 5 foot surge in river I’ve walked those tracks on the far side for miles until I got back to the fire house and was able to cross! They jerk that river around way too much it’s not about the fish or the fisherman there sadly, be well carp tight lines!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Mar 07, 2023, 08:48 AM »
Since I was 18 , 47 years ago I have never been did I say NEVER BEEN - UNARMED when I fish or icefish .

Same here-although a bit later for me. Mid 20’s................but I was a boy scout so I’m always “prepared!”  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Mar 07, 2023, 08:52 AM »

Wow- didn’t know you tie your own flies too George! Must be cool to catch a fish on a fly you tied yourself.............. .. @)

Definitely looking forward to doing some fly fishing this Spring! 👍
Already talking to Spider and Icehound about it.................... .....
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Mar 07, 2023, 10:00 AM »
At one time, I was building my own fly rods, but have not built one in years.  I still remember the first wild trout I caught on the first rod I built.  It was 1990 on the W. Branch of Delaware at Balls Eddy.   Looks like HHH builds some nice ice fishing rods.  Might give that a try next year.    Can't wait to get you guys up to the camper on the Delaware.  I am offering $20 for the first guy that falls in above their waders.    ;D  Should be a good time with some food, drinks, and maybe a fish or two thrown in.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Mar 07, 2023, 10:17 AM »
Rutt, it is fun to catch fish in my own flies as you said, but much more rewarding when others catch fish on them.  Hope that happens.

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Mar 07, 2023, 11:28 AM »
Thanks HHH I will keep that in mind as spring trout is right around the corner! Have some streams and rivers in central PA I gotta get some time on this year! Best of luck to you with the fast approaching season!
Had a buddy of mine make an 11' euro rod last year, might have to get some info from him because even buying used rods it gets expensive quick!
Carp & Rutt, it is a ton of fun to catch with your own tied flies/rigs, gives a sense of accomplishment and pride that is unmatched. Definitely smart to "Be Prepared" when out in the woods, and the BSA gives a great start. I was 2" away from being underwater in my waders last year, but the dangerous part was we were floating the lehigh for Good Friday, thought I had enough height to jump out and fish an inrush from a creek and nearly went under. Wouldn't of been a fun rest of the float had I gone under, don't know how I woulda even pulled myself up back onto the pontoon. So in short, you can keep ya 20$! ill trade dry shorts for a hamilton any day of the week  :roflmao:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Mar 07, 2023, 12:30 PM »
At one time, I was building my own fly rods, but have not built one in years.  I still remember the first wild trout I caught on the first rod I built.  It was 1990 on the W. Branch of Delaware at Balls Eddy.   Looks like HHH builds some nice ice fishing rods.  Might give that a try next year.    Can't wait to get you guys up to the camper on the Delaware.  I am offering $20 for the first guy that falls in above their waders.    ;D  Should be a good time with some food, drinks, and maybe a fish or two thrown in.

Will definitely be a good time whenever we get the whole “crew” together! And maybe we’ll have a new crew member this year?!  ;)

I’ll probably be the one that earns the cash................al ready went in 2” over my ice-fishing boots on a hike-in excursion this winter! Found out they are waterproof............ .from the inside too!  :o. Made the rest of the hike not so pleasant!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Mar 07, 2023, 12:33 PM »
Thanks HHH I will keep that in mind as spring trout is right around the corner! Have some streams and rivers in central PA I gotta get some time on this year! Best of luck to you with the fast approaching season!
Had a buddy of mine make an 11' euro rod last year, might have to get some info from him because even buying used rods it gets expensive quick!
Carp & Rutt, it is a ton of fun to catch with your own tied flies/rigs, gives a sense of accomplishment and pride that is unmatched. Definitely smart to "Be Prepared" when out in the woods, and the BSA gives a great start. I was 2" away from being underwater in my waders last year, but the dangerous part was we were floating the lehigh for Good Friday, thought I had enough height to jump out and fish an inrush from a creek and nearly went under. Wouldn't of been a fun rest of the float had I gone under, don't know how I woulda even pulled myself up back onto the pontoon. So in short, you can keep ya 20$! ill trade dry shorts for a hamilton any day of the week  :roflmao:

LOL!  ;D

Hey Jake, maybe we can coax somebody we know into showing us how to make our own fly rods?!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Mar 07, 2023, 12:45 PM »
Building a fly rod is so easy....even a caveman can do it, and maybe even you Rutt.   It's all about the spline, or spine, depending on who you are talking to.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Mar 07, 2023, 02:01 PM »
   It's all about the spline, or spine, depending on who you are talking to.

Neither exist according to others too!  Most pro builders just tell me  "build on the straightest axis".   I haven't built a fly rod, but many open water and ice rods for myself.  Agreed, it is very easy once you get over the fear that you will ruin the blank.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Mar 07, 2023, 02:56 PM »
I agree.   Everyone has a position on just about every subject.  To some degree, it may not matter.  But, the thing with a fly rod is they are very light and sensitive and if you don't get the spline/spine right, it will turn in your hand as you are false casting.  You also lose power if you don't have that backbone propelling the line.  The longer they are, the more critical it becomes. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Mar 07, 2023, 05:21 PM »
Building a fly rod is so easy....even a caveman can do it, and maybe even you Rutt.   

LOL!  ;D  Maybe with a lot of help!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Mar 07, 2023, 07:35 PM »
I agree.   Everyone has a position on just about every subject.  To some degree, it may not matter.  But, the thing with a fly rod is they are very light and sensitive and if you don't get the spline/spine right, it will turn in your hand as you are false casting.  You also lose power if you don't have that backbone propelling the line.  The longer they are, the more critical it becomes.

Gotcha I can understand that principle. They make tools to find it and I always try to assume it matters too. I just found it ironic that some well known folks didn’t subscribe. I have so far resisted the fly fishing addiction as I have too much stuff already lol. I certainly appreciate the simplicity and art of it though. Hope you folks have a trip. Sounds like you will!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Mar 08, 2023, 08:50 AM »
Be careful with fly fishing.  It can be an addiction worse than any drug.  You start dreaming about rising fish.  You think about perfect drifts.  You envision most likely holding spots trout will lie in waiting for food, and hopefully your fly, to drift over them.  And this all happens when you are at work, sitting at dinner with your wife, or doing something you should be paying attention to but can't stop wishing you were standing in a stream reading the water.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Mar 08, 2023, 09:18 AM »
Be careful with fly fishing.  It can be an addiction worse than any drug.  You start dreaming about rising fish.  You think about perfect drifts.  You envision most likely holding spots trout will lie in waiting for food, and hopefully your fly, to drift over them.  And this all happens when you are at work, sitting at dinner with your wife, or doing something you should be paying attention to but can't stop wishing you were standing in a stream reading the water.

LOL! 🤪🤪🤪
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Mar 10, 2023, 11:33 AM »
Definitely helps pass the time and might even get you ready for when you are on the water! I often think back to the fish I was catching and what presentation, drift, what the flow and clarity was like, just to prepare for the upcoming wet water season.

Can't believe after getting that wet boot RN you continued around the Lake for another hour and then had the 2 hour hike back! You make me want to pack an extra pair of socks for scenarios like that haha.

I'd be torn on what type of rod I would want to build first, I think id start with something I'd use the most so probably a Light 5.5 - 7' for use on trout, bass, panfryers, ect. I have several fly rods that I haven't even put a maiden voyage on yet, wouldn't want to add another looker to the collection, still need to put some more hours on the ones I've got in circulation.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Mar 11, 2023, 08:56 AM »
Back in the early years, I would keep a journal of every trip to the Delaware.   Water level, temperature, weather conditions, and of course, bug activity, etc.  Wrote down details of every fish I tried for (note I didn't say catch).  Fly fishing is a lot like hunting.  You sneak into position to cast to a rising fish without scaring them.  Sometimes you only get one shot at them and either they take, or you put them down.  Other times, you can cast to the same fish for an hour wondering why he is eating everything else but your fly.  That's the fun (and sometimes frustration) of it.  Anyway, I have gotten away from it since my long-time partner is no longer available.  My camper sits right on the river bank and never gets visited other than to open/clean it out in the Spring and close it up in the Fall.  I fished last Spring for a few hours when I opened it up and caugth two really nice browns.  Maybe this year will be the return.  Let's hope.  Time is no longer on the positive side....

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Mar 13, 2023, 07:13 AM »
Building a fly rod is so easy....even a caveman can do it, and maybe even you Rutt.   It's all about the spline, or spine, depending on who you are talking to.
I was just about to say this! Definitely get into it it’s not very challenging intricate it could be yes but it is relatively simple as carp mentioned spine and spline! Most important all rods bend in one direction generally find that spine and that’s where guides run ice rods are incredibly simple you can even wrap them on a cardboard box cut out with v notches and use any kinds of rotisserie motor to apply and dry epoxy for me I couldn’t find a ice rod lay out with guides I likes spaced out and large enough for the reels I use so 7-8 years ago started building and I can’t look back now it’s really something fishing technique specific rods like you mentions 11 foot euro rod! Deadly niche rod that would cost 300-1000$ to build with some man hours put into it and your fully build for 150 maybe cheaper!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.