The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Buying a used flasher  (Read 958 times)

Offline beerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
Buying a used flasher
« on: Dec 29, 2022, 04:26 PM »
I’m going to look at a used vex tomorrow, any tips on what to look for to make sure it’s worth it? I’ve never actually owned one and not sure how to test functionality in someone’s garage. Thanks in advance.

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buying a used flasher
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2022, 05:30 PM »
Which model and which Ice-Ducer?  There may be model-specific issues folks could advise you to watch out for.

I bought my FL-18 the year they came out (2001/2002 ice season, I believe) in an Ultra Pack setup w/ the dual beam (9/19 deg) Ice-Ducer.  I have used it every season since.  It was my first, and is my only flasher today.  The only "work" it has needed in all those years was to replace the battery.  If you are looking at FL-8 models, I would probably stick w/ the FL-8SE (avoid the old FL-8 and FL-8ST).

I would do 8 things in particular:
1) Hit YouTube for the specific model(s) you are checking out.  Give yourself a crash course in how to operate and read it.

2) Give the unit a good overall visual inspection (bring and use a flashlight), you will get an idea of how well it has been cared for.

3) Take a look at all battery and wire connections (including switches/meters if applicable), there should be little to no corrosion.

4) Power it up and see how bright the display is in daylight.  If it is hard to read, I would pass - it may be worn out.

5) Let the unit run for a couple of minutes.  If you hear any noises coming from it other than the Vexilar hum, I would pass.

6) Place the bottom flat of the Ice-Ducer puck to your ear when unit is powered up.  You should hear rapid and repetitive clicking (this is the sonar working).  If you do not hear this, something is wrong (likely the transducer is shot).

7) Test the depth reading thru the air.  The speed of sound thru air is ~343 m/sec.  The speed of sound thru water is ~1480 m/sec.  The ratio should be ~.232 = (343/1480).  So holding the puck steady & level at an elevation of 25 inches (bring a tape measure as well) over a hard surface (garage floor would work well), the unit should read a depth thru air of approximately 9 feet (b/c the unit is designed to read thru water).  I do this test every year prior to hitting the ice.

8) Do not buy without being able to test the unit, but plan on replacing the battery if you acquire a used unit (lithium is the way to go these days).

Also see:

Best of Luck!

Additionally --> I suggest reviewing the following to understand the theory of operation:
https://vexilar.com/blog/2019/12/04/how-sonar-works#:~:text=What%20a%20sonar%20device%20(depth,Ray%20Tube%20(TV%20screen).
&
https://vexilar.com/blog/2019/12/04/choosing-a-transducer-beam-angle

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2022, 05:52 PM »
This right here is one of the best responses out there. Thanks for the detailed information, as this applied to me as well.

Which model and which Ice-Ducer?  There may be model-specific issues folks could advise you to watch out for.

I bought my FL-18 the year they came out (2001/2002 ice season, I believe) in an Ultra Pack setup w/ the dual beam (9/19 deg) Ice-Ducer.  I have used it every season since.  It was my first, and is my only flasher today.  The only "work" it has needed in all those years was to replace the battery.  If you are looking at FL-8 models, I would probably stick w/ the FL-8SE (avoid the old FL-8 and FL-8ST).

I would do 8 things in particular:
1) Hit YouTube for the specific model(s) you are checking out.  Give yourself a crash course in how to operate and read it.

2) Give the unit a good overall visual inspection (bring and use a flashlight), you will get an idea of how well it has been cared for.

3) Take a look at all battery and wire connections (including switches/meters if applicable), there should be little to no corrosion.

4) Power it up and see how bright the display is in daylight.  If it is hard to read, I would pass - it may be worn out.

5) Let the unit run for a couple of minutes.  If you hear any noises coming from it other than the Vexilar hum, I would pass.

6) Place the bottom flat of the Ice-Ducer puck to your ear when unit is powered up.  You should hear rapid and repetitive clicking (this is the sonar working).  If you do not hear this, something is wrong (likely the transducer is shot).

7) Test the depth reading thru the air.  The speed of sound thru air is ~343 m/sec.  The speed of sound thru water is ~1480 m/sec.  The ratio should be ~.232 = (343/1480).  So holding the puck steady & level at an elevation of 24 inches (bring a tape measure as well) over a hard surface (garage floor would work well), the unit should read a depth thru air of approximately 9 feet (b/c the unit is designed to read thru water).  I do this test every year prior to hitting the ice.

8) Do not buy without being able to test the unit, but plan on replacing the battery if you acquire a used unit (lithium is the way to go these days).

Also see:

Best of Luck!

Additionally --> I suggest reviewing the following to understand the theory of operation:
https://vexilar.com/blog/2019/12/04/how-sonar-works#:~:text=What%20a%20sonar%20device%20(depth,Ray%20Tube%20(TV%20screen).
&
https://vexilar.com/blog/2019/12/04/choosing-a-transducer-beam-angle
"When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too."

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2022, 06:06 PM »
Marauder2008 - You got it.  Please note I added a couple of links at the end of my original post.  I also changed the test elevation in air from 2 feet to 25 inches, which should read almost exactly 9 feet depth if all is functioning well.  Good luck.

Offline beerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2022, 11:20 AM »
Which model and which Ice-Ducer?  There may be model-specific issues folks could advise you to watch out for...

Thanks a lot that is considerably more info than I ever thought I would get from a first post question here. It's an FL-12, apparently just needs a battery. Not sure which transducer is on it, but he sent me pictures of it running last night as he can still power it up while on the charger. I will definitely run through the things you suggested.

Also was wondering what the best replacement battery would be for it? Looks like lots of options on amazon.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2022, 11:34 AM »
Thanks a lot that is considerably more info than I ever thought I would get from a first post question here. It's an FL-12, apparently just needs a battery. Not sure which transducer is on it, but he sent me pictures of it running last night as he can still power it up while on the charger. I will definitely run through the things you suggested.

Also was wondering what the best replacement battery would be for it? Looks like lots of options on amazon.

If cost isn't an issue,  go with a Lithium.  Much lighter and holds a charge much longer than an SLA. I'd recommend Amped Outdoors. They're also a site sponsor.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2022, 11:52 AM »
Nitz very good information ..I could not have said it any better .

More then likely it is a 12 deg ...which will do good in almost all situations . 2:49 mark explains the transducer angle deg...they may have redesigned the 12 deg I believe its more shorter and wider now..it may even be stamped with a number . Do you have the an actual Vexilar charger .. Which model number ?

This battery will work its a 9ah ..which will give you a good run time ..there may be cheaper/available options locally...measure your current battery and use those as a guide ...and note the spade connections on top.

https://www.amazon.com/VICI-Battery-Sealed-Vexilar-Product/dp/B07L9GVW22/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=vexilar+battery&qid=1672422548&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN0tSWFRQWFRZQkY0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTk1NzUzM0xJVjczM05CODJPVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODM1MDc4MlJYNTBBSFlOQlo1SiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline beerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2022, 06:36 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I ended up buying it. Hopefully will be able to get out somewhere tomorrow safe to try it out.

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2022, 10:04 PM »
beerbait - Cool, I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.