Author Topic: Mittens?  (Read 3084 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mittens?
« on: Jan 31, 2022, 09:29 AM »
What are you guys using for mittens? I've been fishing out of the shack a lot more the past year or 2 and need something to keep the fingers from turning blue and falling off... I have some good gloves but wet/damp hands don't go back in gloves well, would rather have something that I can ball my hands up in like mittens...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mittens?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:09 AM »
I swear by the HT polar mittens.  They are big so you can wear gloves under them.  The liner comes out so you can dry them plus if the liner pulls out of the thumb, you pull the whole liner put it on your hand and put it back in the glove with out any issue/bunching/problems.  Because they are water proof you can clear ice in holes with them and not get wet at all.  On cold days I keep a hand warmer in each one.  You can drill holes with them on, no problem.  I have had my pair for 10+ years.  I bought new liners a couple years ago.  They are made by a Finnish company Joka.  Sometimes you see the Joka branded ones around, they are the same thing.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/474137-hi-tech-fishing-polar-eskimo-mitts.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiArt6PBhCoARIsAMF5wagtwo0pjozpifNNCqc7xwOMwhz2m3rEHIZJsvLa7MudPt7iwkl1bzcaAlByEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/JokaTherm-Mittens-Size-10-XL/dp/B009IYMBDI/ref=asc_df_B009IYMBDI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563715223612&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1054666487030450082&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1021987&hvtargid=pla-1487893605330&psc=1

Most of the time I wear a pair of the grease monkey honeycomb grip mechanics gloves under the mittens for finess, I can tie 2lb test.  I like these grease monkey ones the best, not all mechanic gloves are the same.  I keep several pair with me and change them out as they get wet. 

https://www.runnings.com/grease-monkeyr-honeycomb-grip-textured-latex.html

If things are really cold I wear fingless wool gloves over the grease monkey gloves.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V9F95Y1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:31 AM »
I swear by the HT polar mittens.  They are big so you can wear gloves under them.  The liner comes out so you can dry them plus if the liner pulls out of the thumb, you pull the whole liner put it on your hand and put it back in the glove with out any issue/bunching/problems.  Because they are water proof you can clear ice in holes with them and not get wet at all.  On cold days I keep a hand warmer in each one.  You can drill holes with them on, no problem.  I have had my pair for 10+ years.  I bought new liners a couple years ago.  They are made by a Finnish company Joka.  Sometimes you see the Joka branded ones around, they are the same thing.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/474137-hi-tech-fishing-polar-eskimo-mitts.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiArt6PBhCoARIsAMF5wagtwo0pjozpifNNCqc7xwOMwhz2m3rEHIZJsvLa7MudPt7iwkl1bzcaAlByEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/JokaTherm-Mittens-Size-10-XL/dp/B009IYMBDI/ref=asc_df_B009IYMBDI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563715223612&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1054666487030450082&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1021987&hvtargid=pla-1487893605330&psc=1

Most of the time I wear a pair of the grease monkey honeycomb grip mechanics gloves under the mittens for finess, I can tie 2lb test.  I like these the best, not all mechanic gloves are the same.  I keep several pair with me and change them out as they get wet. 

https://www.runnings.com/grease-monkeyr-honeycomb-grip-textured-latex.html

If things are really cold I wear fingless wool gloves over the grease monkey gloves.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V9F95Y1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the same  ones, highly  recommend  for just getting  warm, kind of useless for "work"..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:36 AM »
X2 on the ht Polars. Had them for years. Nothing beats em. Easy in and out. You can dip your hand right on the hole to clear ice too as Jason said.

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:38 AM »
I have the same  ones, highly  recommend  for just getting  warm, kind of useless for "work"..

Yes, about the only work you can do in them is check your tip ups and drill holes.  I like the way they come off so easy even when you are wearing the mechanics gloves underneath.  Because they go on and off so easy I find myself wearing them more and keep my hands warmer.   When I am setting up tipups in sub zero weather I will put them on between tipups and that little time in between setups is enough to keep my hands from getting too cold.   

Offline OldTowner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:44 AM »
At 70, I'm still wearing the wool shooting mittens my grandfather knitted for me. Big enough I can put a liner in and has been pointed out, wool stays warm after wrung out from a good soaking. The leather mittens issued to me in Alaska also do well.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:51 AM »
When I am setting up tipups in sub zero weather I will put them on between tipups and that little time in between setups is enough to keep my hands from getting too cold.

This is when I would want them, setting up traps, clearing holes and checking bait... That's when damp hands don't want to slide into gloves so I just tough it out and pay for it for the next 15-20 minutes after...

I seen them in your sled the other week Jason, that's why I posed the question now... Figured you'd reply as well as others.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:55 AM »
I just picked up the fish monkey yeti mitten's. By far the best ones I've ever owned. Rated for -30 below. Well worth the price. I'm wearing a pair of waterproof blackfish arid gloves underneath at times
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:56 AM »
I use a pair of lined leather-like suede mittens adding either a polar fleece, or military surplus wool glove inside depending on the temperature. I’ve had them so long I can’t remember what brand they are, but they are filled with an insulation, and are very light weight.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:04 AM »
Basic choppers, deerskin outers (heavily waterproofed) and woolen inserts

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:06 AM »
This is when I would want them, setting up traps, clearing holes and checking bait... That's when damp hands don't want to slide into gloves so I just tough it out and pay for it for the next 15-20 minutes after...

I seen them in your sled the other week Jason, that's why I posed the question now... Figured you'd reply as well as others.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.
Yup. Those are the ones I had. You won't regret it
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:35 AM »
Basic choppers, deerskin outers (heavily waterproofed) and woolen inserts
That's what I wear  My loggers would shame me if I showed up with hi tech globes
But, over years my kids have gifted me dozens of hand warmers.  Two in my jacket pockets and one over my heart.
It's been a decade since I dragged more than two hundred yards from my truck.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:48 AM »
I just picked up the fish monkey yeti mitten's. By far the best ones I've ever owned. Rated for -30 below. Well worth the price. I'm wearing a pair of waterproof blackfish arid gloves underneath at times

Those have caught my eye this year, been wanting to try them

Thanks!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:53 AM »
Another vote for the HT mitts...

If you are tending tip-ups or need finger dexterity, i like fleece fingerless gloves inside the mitts.  And if it's really cold, you can stick a handwarmer in the mitts.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:56 AM »
Agreed the HT are great, Useto be able to get them in late March at Walmart for 5 bucks

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2022, 12:14 PM »
And the rubberized outer shell really holds a beer well!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2022, 12:17 PM »
Johnson wool mittens

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2022, 01:03 PM »
Look at giver frontier mittens, there a pricey item, but good . I have a pair of gloves from them. High quality oiled leather made in the USA
https://www.give-r.com/collections/gloves/products/frontier-mittens
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2022, 01:23 PM »
Another vote for the ht joka therm mittens.i only use them to pull my gear on and off the ice tho.

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2022, 01:37 PM »
Those have caught my eye this year, been wanting to try them

Thanks!
I throw a hand warmer in each one at the beginning of the morning and they are good for the day. I got them a little big too so easy on and off.  The hand warmer sucks up any moisture if my hands are wet
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2022, 01:54 PM »
I throw a hand warmer in each one at the beginning of the morning and they are good for the day. I got them a little big too so easy on and off.  The hand warmer sucks up any moisture if my hands are wet

Good deal, they look like the grip would work late season hunting too

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2022, 02:11 PM »
I am a big fan of these:  https://www.idigear.com/arctic-armor-mitts.html

I put a hand warmer in each one and they are great!  Easy on and Easy off and good dexterity (for a mitten).  Been using them for several years. 

I also have pair of Ice Armor mittens from Clam.  They are also great.

Bottom line is buy them a little big and get the ones that don't have the individual glove fingers inside.  Easy to get on even with wet hands.  Put a hand warmer in each one and you will be good for the whole day on the ice.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2022, 02:45 PM »
Good stuff fellas, thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2022, 02:51 PM »
These aircrew gauntlets are a bit bulky, but certainly warm enough to make up for that.   They have liners inside that come out to be laundered by simply opening a few dome fasteners.  There's a strap above each wrist that you can tighten to keep snow and wind out.

The fur on the entire back side of each hand is icing on the cake.

Great for operating the skidoo, and still handy enough to hold a rod while on the ice. Worn with a pair of wool gloves inside, my fingers are still warm at -40 degrees.

Ted

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2022, 03:01 PM »
Are those military issue Yukoner?

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2022, 03:03 PM »
Yes Sir.  Got them a few years ago from a surplus dealer here in Whitehorse.

Ted

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2022, 03:04 PM »
Thought so, thanks.

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2022, 03:48 PM »
I use the wool liner and leather chopper... hit them with a little oil at the beginning of the season....they are hard to infiltrate... cold and damp is no problem for them... in a minute or two your ready to do it again! Foolish as we are! Go fishin....headed out tomorrow! Finally a carefree day! When I go ice fishing thats all I'm doing...its therapeutic for life... Country style ribs for lunch with bobhouse potatoes... OMG...my pig, my spuds... me and the dog! literally eating high on the hog! Bourgeois fishing!

Wheeler has water in the master cylinder...freezing the front brakes on..... Arrrrg...got to flush and replace fluid... my garage been too cold!!! Friday maybe...

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:46 PM »
Any large mitten is good I use the clam sized xxl. I keep my wool fingerless gloves on at all times and the fit easily into the mittens. I keep the hot hands 18 hand warmer one in each mitten. This approach allows me to take mittens off when I need to use my fingers. If they get cold it's back in the mittens for an instant recharge.  This worked great when it was negative 11 last weekend. I like those ht mitts also. The hand warmers are key for me they are crucial on the bitter days
Salmonemia

Offline Coosangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2022, 09:26 PM »
A dish towel to dry my hands is more important than the
Mitten/glove....
I have used a cheap pair of leather gloves that have the fake sheepskin insulation in em all season...
I tend to run hot.....
I don't mess with tip ups unless it's warm and I'm pike fishing😁
Oh and my shanty has a wood stove 😁😁😆
Gentleman's style .....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.