Author Topic: Mittens?  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Mittens?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2022, 06:39 AM »
HTs here and full agreement on the towel requirement. Dry hands only go into the mitts.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2022, 10:34 AM »
Check out Choko three finger claw mittens. Pricey but warm and easy to get on and off.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2022, 10:56 AM »
And the rubberized outer shell really holds a beer well!!

Do they have a label that tells you what they are able to withstand? Mine has symbols for chemicals as well as electrical (love that rubber outer shell!)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2022, 09:43 AM »
I use the joka therms..I have a pair to set up and break down with ..another pair for the rest of the day ..the new linings are sweet
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2022, 11:00 AM »
Many years ago I bought some overmitts from REI and some big fluffy fleece mitten inserts.  They are my go to when it is really cold. 
I got them oversized, allow for my hands to warm up, and big enough to throw in a hand warmer easily.  Although I hardly ever use warmers.

I tried to search and find links to what I actually have, but I guess things have changed.

But after all my research, it seems that the Outdoor Research Meteor Mitts seem to be very close.

This is pretty timely for me.  I think I got a minor case of frostbite 2 weeks ago.  Still have a little tingling in a couple of my fingers.  Spent too much time unhooking a gut hooked bass, paid the price.  Won't be heading to a tip up without my pliers for a long time.

George

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:44 PM »
These aircrew gauntlets are a bit bulky, but certainly warm enough to make up for that.   They have liners inside that come out to be laundered by simply opening a few dome fasteners.  There's a strap above each wrist that you can tighten to keep snow and wind out.

The fur on the entire back side of each hand is icing on the cake.

Great for operating the skidoo, and still handy enough to hold a rod while on the ice. Worn with a pair of wool gloves inside, my fingers are still warm at -40 degrees.

Ted

I use the same mittens for tip up fishing, drop a hand warmer in each mitt and have individual hand shanties. Easy on off

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2022, 02:25 PM »
I appreciate all the suggestions fellas... Ended up going with a pair of the HT Joka and a pair of the military issue ones.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2022, 09:49 PM »
You should follow-up in a year with your experience using them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.