Author Topic: Waxies or Meal worms?  (Read 7352 times)

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
Waxies or Meal worms?
« on: Nov 12, 2006, 07:43 PM »
I am probably gonna buy a bulk package of about 500, and am not wuite sure what to get, crappie and yellow pearch is what I'll jig for mostly. but not sure what to gets, pros and cons to them? any advise would be awesome

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waxies or Meal worms?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2006, 07:56 PM »
Definately waxies...feed them a pinch of dry gerber baby food every week. pick through for dead ones every day.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Waxies
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:17 PM »
i love waxies and maggots meal worms once and awhile :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:23 PM »
does anyone have any pros and cons? better situations for one or the other? target species? any details?

~Neal

Offline tundra218

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:40 PM »
waxies are good for just about any thing you want to fishing for!  for perch u can also use small minnows they are like wallies they hunt for their food! well good luck to you and let me know how you did this year

Tundra218
R.J.
keep the one you want and put the others back!

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:44 PM »
well the waxies work really well for perch and bluegill and i have even caught really nice trout and calico on them.the thing with wax worms or meal worms is they have to be kept in around 55 degrees in order for them to last a few weeks.and as with other baits you have to get rid of the dead ones.I would say that when the bluegill or perch are active you can catch them on mealies or waxies or what ever but I prefer waxies over mealies and i like maggots the best throw them in the fridge get rid of the dead ones and your good to go.So  in my opinion the fish are usually just to finiky to use mealworms! bu ;Dy all three mealies waxies and spikes!!! :tipup:

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:50 PM »
Waxies to be sure.  I usually buy the token box of meal worms, use about 3-4, catch nothing, then throw them away in the spring.  I wish the waxies would live as long as the mealies but oh well.  When you put them on the hook, thread them on head first and if a little clear light brown liquid comes out your chance of catching a fish is much better.  Never take wax worms off the hook, just keep adding to the mush after catching a fish and always add one when you pull up to check your bait even if the one on the hook is good.  The more mush on the hook the better.  As you can tell I have studied the wax worm extinsively (or maybe I was just bored) but it works well for me!!!  
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2006, 09:15 PM »
Okay, I have been wondering this since last year.  What are waxies?  I have always used spikes and mousies.  I do kind of feel like a moron having to ask.... :wacko:
I love a flag!!!!

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2006, 09:17 PM »
It is a waxworm it looks like a mousie with no tail ;D :tipup:

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2006, 02:43 AM »
fishingonly

I would definately go with the waxies in a bulk they are 100 times more reliable bait than a meally the only time i use a meally is when I can't keep the fish off the line the meally is a little more resilant to being pulled off so ya don't have to rebait al the time.

Chad

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:28 AM »
Check here for a picture of a Waxworm and other baits.

Okay, I have been wondering this since last year.  What are waxies?  I have always used spikes and mousies.  I do kind of feel like a moron having to ask.... :wacko:

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Thanks, I have never seen one of those before.  Are they regional? I am from Central NY and my bait shop doesnt carry them. 
I love a flag!!!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2006, 10:24 AM »
waxies may not last as long, but they must look tastier because they always work better for me

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Vipercat-   They should be readily available through the winter months. Call your all of your local dealers.

Waxies over mealworms, except for bluegill; (from my personal exp).

Perch were mentioned also as a target- MINNOWS are #1. Emerald shiners over fatheads ifyou can net them somewhere (sale recently banned)

Don't put waxworms in the refridgerator (unless you keep it at 55 to 60 degrees!) I keep mine on the floor of my basement and can get them to last about a month. Dont buy too may at once unless you fish an awful lot. 100 paks are good for weekend fishers.
"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”
 G. Gordon Liddy

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:57 AM »
I will keep my eyes open.  I definately would like to open up my bait options.  Some days they want spikes, others mousies, and at times nothing works.  It will be nice to open up my options. 

I always have minnows on hand, I'm a firm believer in tip-ups...nothing like a flag to get the heart pumping!!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

I love a flag!!!!

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2006, 06:04 PM »

last year i purcahsed one of those very small DORM size refridgerators, set it at 49* my wax worms stayed alive for the better part of two months. ( no automatic defrost cycle, like the kitchen refridgerator)  i think taking them from cold to warm (inside pocket) to cold again stresses them. of course if we had had enough ice i would have used them all up instead of watching them die of old age / boredom. JMO
fred baumann

Offline bowhuntken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:17 PM »
 i use waxies alot more than meal worms never realy had much luck with them, has anyone used the colored spikes ?
usmc 1989-1993

Offline flagup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:33 PM »
I am sold on waxworms over mealworms. First off the waxworms are a soft bait where as the mealworms have the hard outer shell, I think this makes a difference to the fish. I mostly Trout fish through the ice and I wont even use mealworms cause the waxworms are so much better in my humble opinion!

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:15 PM »
I favor mousies over waxies and mealworms. My second choice would be mealworms.  Waxies
are just to soft. I fish perch 90% of the time when I am ice fishing.

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:32 AM »
I favor mousies over waxies and mealworms. My second choice would be mealworms.  Waxies
are just to soft. I fish perch 90% of the time when I am ice fishing.

I agree. If you throw spikes and mousies into the equation, they are both much preferred by myself. I loose a lot of waxies on panfish; where as maggots stay on forever.
 G. Gordon Liddy

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:03 AM »
little tip here  after you clean your catch of perch  take out the eyes and freeze them
you will be pleasantly surprised at the results  free bait

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:31 AM »
My go to bait for big perch (12"+) is a Genz worm and waxie. That said, I always carry spikes along with wax worms and usually minnows and mousies. Gotta give them what they want
Pete Lewis

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2006, 11:12 AM »
little tip here  after you clean your catch of perch  take out the eyes and freeze them
you will be pleasantly surprised at the results  free bait

I remove and use the perch eyes right there when I catch them. Best "Tool" to do better than forcing them out with your thumbnail? The large end of a jumbo paper clip scoops them out without bursting. Learned this last fall from my friend oakorchardfishking.
 G. Gordon Liddy

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2006, 11:56 AM »
I will have to try that fishryc good idea,, If you have a jar of them no need to
I don't like taking the eyes out when they are still jumping  I am humane you know
I yell at my bud all the time,   LOL to each his own  thanks

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Wax Worms in my view are the better bait. They store nicely and have a great presentation.
I believe the gills love em!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2006, 02:02 PM »
are fish eyes ilegal on some states? I have used pearch eyes before on a gold swedish pimple and stinger hook, and nailed a really really nice laker, 23 inches and atleast 3 pounds. the guy that watched me catch a food chains worth of fish and bait while he caught nothing came over to me and told me fish eyes were ilegal as bait in NH

~Neal

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2006, 03:26 PM »
I think he was BS you  as far as I know   I use cut up fish meat for monster cats in the river too

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:24 PM »
I say waxies or spikes are the best. Be sure to store the waxies and spikes in you jacket when on the ice.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #29 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:04 AM »
I can't believe it would be illegal anywhere if it is then minners are illegal too!! we use everything for bait here in Illinois including live bluegills and let me tell ya, ya ought to see the cats you can catch on a 9" gill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.