Author Topic: The right eggs?  (Read 5108 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The right eggs?
« on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:06 AM »
Been a life long bass guy... Gonna start chasing some trout through the ice this year. I've read back through a bunch of the trout tactic threads including a great one by Frank and Keith. Was stocking up on some stuff and couldn't remember the prefered eggs for sure but I feel like these are the ones getting most use locally... Grabbed a few flavors of each. Did I get the right stuff?

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
Re: The right eggs?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:13 AM »
You may get alot of opinions.
But Bingo. Pautskes Green Label are what I have used pretty much exclusively forever. They sink well, stay hard and together longer, and the red shows well on sand bottom.
Just my preference.

Oh, and don't let them freeze, or in my experience they float instead of sink.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:17 AM »
Those work fine, that’s what Keith, Jason and a lot of guys run, with success. I prefer Red Eggs in the Atlas Mikes eggs. Big Boys, King Deluxe, or UV glo. Those are fine though
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Cool, figured I'd get varying opinions but as long as I'm in the right neighborhood.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:29 AM »
They had some Uncle Josh eggs that I'm pretty sure were just corn kernels in red Kool aid lol...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:31 AM »
Yeah, I’d stay away
From the fake rubber junk

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:32 AM »
If you are in shallow water with a sandy bottom put 3-4 eggs in a small clump at the bottom of your hole. If they have moved when you check your bait, you know you had a visitor. Doesn't necessarily help you catch fish, just lets you know if they are around and provides some excitement for the day.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:36 AM »
Yeah, I’d stay away
From the fake rubber junk

For sure, seeing the "uncle Josh" brought me back about 30 years to the pork frogs lol, what a mess those were...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:37 AM »
For sure, seeing the "uncle Josh" brought me back about 30 years to the pork frogs lol, what a mess those were...

Yeah, especially if you left them on the hook then your next trip out your there trying to cut that piece of jerky off with a knife lolll

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:43 AM »
OK. I’ll let another one of my tricks slip because I enjoy seeing others catch fish, just don’t ask me where I do it  ;D

Berkley power eggs or Gulp eggs work the balls some days too but the problem, they float. Many days that’s fine if it’s what they want I just run a camo splitshot 8-12” above the hook and then another 3-4” behind that so you can sink the eggs or PB and the second splitshot pulls the line away from the bait so they don’t feel it in there nose on the take.

Anyhow, my trick so you can fish them on bottom like regular eggs is I thread them onto a Clam Caviar jig that looks just like them and it sinks them to the bottom and the jig blends right in.  ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:47 AM »
Ironically I have found the will eat the gulp minnows not moving in the same fashion.  Something in that juice they love. 

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:48 AM »
Right on Frank, I'll squirrel that one away with the rest of my notes... Thanks

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:53 AM »
Ironically I have found the will eat the gulp minnows not moving in the same fashion.  Something in that juice they love.

Absolutely! I tried that as well after seeing all the ones with Senkos hanging half out of them I figured hey I’ll throw something on bottom too but that biodegrades and Bang!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:54 AM »
I picked up some eggs to try and they are pretty weird after a little while in the water they swell up and get bumpy. They look cool but in the water they are almost translucent with a hint of color. They are called balls o fire by pautzke
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:12 AM »
Those work fine, that’s what Keith, Jason and a lot of guys run, with success. I prefer Red Eggs in the Atlas Mikes eggs. Big Boys, King Deluxe, or UV glo. Those are fine though
Yea i've used the Atlas Mike's as well and they worked good for me too.
Like anything, there are some good products out there, and then there are pure JUNK eggs.

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:14 AM »
OK. I’ll let another one of my tricks slip because I enjoy seeing others catch fish, just don’t ask me where I do it  ;D

Berkley power eggs or Gulp eggs work the balls some days too but the problem, they float. Many days that’s fine if it’s what they want I just run a camo splitshot 8-12” above the hook and then another 3-4” behind that so you can sink the eggs or PB and the second splitshot pulls the line away from the bait so they don’t feel it in there nose on the take.

Anyhow, my trick so you can fish them on bottom like regular eggs is I thread them onto a Clam Caviar jig that looks just like them and it sinks them to the bottom and the jig blends right in.  ;)

I use a salmon egg to sink the PE,usually 1 will do it.. I thread the egg on, then cover the hook with the salmon egg then snug the power egg right up against it..... the crayfish scent ones work real good around rocks..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:16 AM »
Absolutely! I tried that as well after seeing all the ones with Senkos hanging half out of them I figured hey I’ll throw something on bottom too but that biodegrades and Bang!

they eat senkos too... I cant count how many I've seen hanging out the poop shoot on rainbows.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:18 AM »
I shy away from Berkeley stuff. But i have only found one use for the floating eggs, so I'll occasionally keep some in the bag.  If I have bottom that is not sand or less desirable gravel where the eggs might sink down in,  I'll use a tiny split shot like Frank was saying and just suspend the eggs enough to kind of "hover" over bottom.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:18 AM »

Something like this?

....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:20 AM »
I use a salmon egg to sink the PE,usually 1 will do it.. I thread the egg on, then cover the hook with the salmon egg then snug the power egg right up against it..... the crayfish scent ones work real good around rocks..

With that said... What about crawdads as bait for shallow bows? Shallow sand/rock bottom is certainly crawdad territory.. I do really well on smallies with them, the biggest trouble is keeping them close to the bottom but not so close they can reach it and burrow.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:21 AM »

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:22 AM »
With that said... What about crawdads as bait for shallow bows? Shallow sand/rock bottom is certainly crawdad territory.. I do really well on smallies with them, the biggest trouble is keeping them close to the bottom but not so close they can reach it and burrow.

Work great but like you said they will burrow and I don’t like them off bottom so I’ll use in sand only

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:28 AM »
Precisely

Gonna try it out this weekend.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:29 AM »
I like the Atlas Big boys. Red or Orange. But frank bought them all.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:30 AM »
ALL

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:30 AM »
lol

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:33 AM »
I did. 200$ worth

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:45 AM »
Amazon to the rescue.

First guy I knew when I started getting after bows told me to get the Pautskes. He caught plenty of big ones. I bought and used about a jar of them before I found the Atlas Mike’s. Bigger egg, but still a ‘natural’ egg, which I like. You jam like two of those on an 8 hook with a meal worm or Dillie and there’s nothing left of the hook at all to see besides a nice, fat, cluster of bait. Smaller fish can and will pick them off sometimes or nip and spit giving you frustration and empty flags, but I find bigger fish like that bigger ‘knot’ of bait and take it and run. Jut my opinion. Cool that you’re branching out from bass. It’s a whole different gig. I love bass fishing personally, but for me it’s an open water thing. Nothing speaks ice like trout fishing.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:47 AM »
ALL. Like an only child at the crab legs at the Chinese buffet. *****.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:58 AM »
I did. 200$ worth

Nice.. That's what 50 jars? How many jars will you burn in a day?

Amazon to the rescue.

First guy I knew when I started getting after bows told me to get the Pautskes. He caught plenty of big ones. I bought and used about a jar of them before I found the Atlas Mike’s. Bigger egg, but still a ‘natural’ egg, which I like. You jam like two of those on an 8 hook with a meal worm or Dillie and there’s nothing left of the hook at all to see besides a nice, fat, cluster of bait. Smaller fish can and will pick them off sometimes or nip and spit giving you frustration and empty flags, but I find bigger fish like that bigger ‘knot’ of bait and take it and run. Jut my opinion. Cool that you’re branching out from bass. It’s a whole different gig. I love bass fishing personally, but for me it’s an open water thing. Nothing speaks ice like trout fishing.

Yeah it's about time I change things up, I have a bunch of great bass/crappie/yellow ponds within 15 minutes of me that tend to be quiet and empty. Most of the local to me  trout waters get hit hard and are usually packed... Last year I took a ride over to Silver in Nelson, I crush smallies there in the summer but know it's also a great trout water, 6:30 in the morning and the parking was swamped, must have been 50 guys already setting up in a spot the size of a football field in front of the launch, hooting and hollering before the sun was up lol... Went on to one of my peaceful bass spots.
If I travel a little further I'm sure I'll find "quieter" trout waters.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.