The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: HT Enterprises E Drill vs Eskimo Pistol Bit vs Strikemaster Lite Flite vs K Dril  (Read 5653 times)

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello everyone!

I am starting to get excited about this years season as last year I didn't get out much and with 2020 being what it has been, I am ready for some hard water!

I am finally looking to make the move from my older Jiffy 30 and move to a cordless drill with an auger bit. My Jiffy has been great and treated me well over the years but it is my least favorite piece of equipment to lug out on the ice each weekend and technology has come a long way.

I have been doing some research on the different 8" options and think I have it narrowed down to my top pick. At the end of the day I know all of these options will drill holes which is what I am looking for but looking for your input before I pull the trigger. What are your thoughts and experiences on these?

Here is the list I have been researching.....

HT Enterprise E Drill
Eskimo Pistol Bit
Strikemaster Lite Flite
K Drill
Cabelas Eze Drill
Nils
Razr Scout

Prices range from $110-$250. I don't mine spending the money if its worth it. I plan to have this set up for the next 10+ years.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer style blades ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with 5ah battery or better..IF YOU GO WITH A UNDER POWERED UNDERTORQUED PICTURE HANGING DRILL SET UP IT WILL BE AN EPIC FAIL EVENTUALLY..Buy the right drill and battery set up .

HT Enterprise E Drill..   Mora/Straight
Eskimo Pistol Bit.......   Mora?Straight
Strikemaster Lite Flite.  Lazer/Curved
K Drill...                      Chipper
Cabelas Eze Drill..........Mora/Straight
Nils.................. ..........$$$
Razr Scout................. .Lazer/Curved
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just went through the same decision tree after I got a drill and decided to upgrade my 6" Nils to an 8" something. Here's the research I put together.  I ended up with the 8" pistol bit, because it was on sale.  The decision I was reall agonizing over was for some reason I had convinced myself that I absolutely needed a manual option in case the drill stopped working for some reason.  Eventually I decided with a backup battery and proper battery management it really wasn't going to be that critical.

-Matt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I just went through the same decision tree after I got a drill and decided to upgrade my 6" Nils to an 8" something. Here's the research I put together.  I ended up with the 8" pistol bit, because it was on sale.  The decision I was reall agonizing over was for some reason I had convinced myself that I absolutely needed a manual option in case the drill stopped working for some reason.  Eventually I decided with a backup battery and proper battery management it really wasn't going to be that critical.

Very nice may want to up date HT E-Drill as it does have a centerpoint .

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie

Very nice may want to up date HT E-Drill as it does have a centerpoint .
[/quote]

I think almost all the newest models of these augers now have the center point which seemed to be a flaw with some early on.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Since those kind of blades can be impacted by dirty ice, I'd suggest adding a spare set of blades (or 2) in with your backup battery.  I've smoked more sets of Ion blades than I'd like to admit.  Luckily they are relatively inexpensive to replace.
westernmas on the finder

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Razr is the newest ..fills some niches ..lazer/curved blades...centerpoint ..has an auger handle ..safety plate ..draw backs its metal ..price point could be better .

https://www.razrpowr.com/razrscout

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
Razr is the newest ..fills some niches ..lazer/curved blades...centerpoint ..has an auger handle ..safety plate ..draw backs its metal ..price point could be better .

https://www.razrpowr.com/razrscout

My buddy who I have recently gotten into ice fishing over the last couple years just picked one of these up. I am very curious how it will hold up and perform. For him, the price was right and at the end of the day will drill holes through ice which is all he was looking for. I am sure I will have the opportunity to put this one to use and will report back after with a comparison of the one I end up going with.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
Since those kind of blades can be impacted by dirty ice, I'd suggest adding a spare set of blades (or 2) in with your backup battery.  I've smoked more sets of Ion blades than I'd like to admit.  Luckily they are relatively inexpensive to replace.

Good point, thanks.
-Matt

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Maybe some.  I've sent my 8" nils through sand, and some wood and made out fine.  Worth noting thats 8" with a Centerpoint. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Bottom line with a cordless drill set ups auger drill unit ...they will all drill holes ..some are faster then others..some are heavier then others ..all come in various price points . Carrying an extra set of blades is always a great choice . As far a speed goes when I first hit an area I drill way more holes then I will jig (btw more then a gas auger due to weight) so if I wanted to save time.. it would be less holes and jig till I find the direction/pattern then drill more holes as needed. Choices ...choices ...choices ...glad we have them . I love to see other peoples set ups . For the most part a conversation starter.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Maybe some.  I've sent my 8" nils through sand, and some wood and made out fine.  Worth noting thats 8" with a Centerpoint.

I was referencing the pistol bit.  If cost and weight aren't a concern then nils is the best auger out there IMO.  However, if you do mess up the cutting edge and don't have a spare head, you could be without an auger for quite a while.  If I dull my Ion or Mora blades I can picked up a new set almost anywhere.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Fish307 has a head replacement program.  Give them your old one and buy a resharpened one.  I've got 3 or 4 I lost count! 

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not fully sure about the concept of "dirty ice."  I know drilling at the immediate shoreline is risky, due to the chance of hitting bottom and jacking my blades.  But offshore, can the ice be so dirty that it will ruin the blades?

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What is the purpose of the outer ring like on the pistol bit? Is it a safety feature? For years I have been using an HT AE-7 with my IceGator. Does not have a center point, or a ring. I never had an issue with it walking on me. The AE-7 has Lazer style blades. I am leaning towards the Lite-Flite because it has the Lazer style blades. My AE-7 still cuts great but as I get older lugging the whole set-up around to pop holes gets hard on my back. But last year I dropped a bunch of weight by getting 2 Amped Outdoors 12V 10AH Lithium batteries to replace the behemoth 12V 10AH SLA batteries that came with my IceGator. I'm not sure how much my AE-7 weighs. But I think I figured I was lugging around close to 40 pounds before the new batteries.

I did get a StrikeMaster 4 1/2" Lazer Synthetic last year and wow is it easy to drill holes by hand. I have not attached it to my IceGator. 
jbird68

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Not fully sure about the concept of "dirty ice."  I know drilling at the immediate shoreline is risky, due to the chance of hitting bottom and jacking my blades.  But offshore, can the ice be so dirty that it will ruin the blades?

Wind blown debris ..from beaches roadway parking lots ..not alot of snow pack covering my area the last few seasons...leaving wide open areas for wind to grab it ..also the sand/mud/etc draged out onto the ice by sleds/shelters/atvs snowmobiles . Also brackish waters have a slew of silt .

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
What is the purpose of the outer ring like on the pistol bit? Is it a safety feature? For years I have been using an HT AE-7 with my IceGator. Does not have a center point, or a ring. I never had an issue with it walking on me. The AE-7 has Lazer style blades. I am leaning towards the Lite-Flite because it has the Lazer style blades. My AE-7 still cuts great but as I get older lugging the whole set-up around to pop holes gets hard on my back. But last year I dropped a bunch of weight by getting 2 Amped Outdoors 12V 10AH Lithium batteries to replace the behemoth 12V 10AH SLA batteries that came with my IceGator. I'm not sure how much my AE-7 weighs. But I think I figured I was lugging around close to 40 pounds before the new batteries.

I did get a StrikeMaster 4 1/2" Lazer Synthetic last year and wow is it easy to drill holes by hand. I have not attached it to my IceGator.

The idea is that without that ring, some augers will break through incompletely and corkscrew down, not leaving a clean round hole at the bottom.  With my manual Nils, I'd just screw it down a few turns and use the metal flights to break out the rest.  Can't do that with plastic flights, so the ring at the bottom will keep the blades from breaking through until the blades fully clear the hole.
-Matt

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac

The idea is that without that ring, some augers will break through incompletely and corkscrew down, not leaving a clean round hole at the bottom.  With my manual Nils, I'd just screw it down a few turns and use the metal flights to break out the rest.  Can't do that with plastic flights, so the ring at the bottom will keep the blades from breaking through until the blades fully clear the hole.

Great comment on the plastic flights not being able to break through like the metal flights on the Nils!

I had never really considered that difference.Every auger I have has metal flights, even my titanium ones.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wind blown debris ..from beaches roadway parking lots ..not alot of snow pack covering my area the last few seasons...leaving wide open areas for wind to grab it ..also the sand/mud/etc draged out onto the ice by sleds/shelters/atvs snowmobiles . Also brackish waters have a slew of silt .

Sand blown on the ice from a beach is what has got me the most.  Also be conscious that navionics doesn't account for winter drawdowns.  I thought I was in like 10 feet of water and hit a rock last year on GSL.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Great comment on the plastic flights not being able to break through like the metal flights on the Nils!

I had never really considered that difference.Every auger I have has metal flights, even my titanium ones.

Totally forgot you were all about the auger tech.  Where'd you get the TI augers?

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wasn't thinking about breaking through at the bottom of the ice. I do, at times, need to use the flites on my AE-7 to push through the little bit of ice at the edges. good point.   
jbird68

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Totally forgot you were all about the auger tech.  Where'd you get the TI augers?

Russia

They are sold and made by Tonar.

Here is one.

http://tonar.su/eng/products/catalog/Titanic_ice-augers.html?p=1&o=name&id=551

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
Decided to go with the Eskimo pistil 8”.

Found one on sale for $170. I like the light weight and blades on this.

Will report back once we get some ice and I try it out!

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular

PULL the trigger on the PISTOL

Last year we drilled over 1K holes with a 8 inch Pistol BIT driven by a Rigid Octane with a 9AH.  A light combination that will give you fast cuts, safe operation, overlapping holes, more holes per charge, economical blades and less skimming.  As an added treat ....purchase with Dick's 25% off to coupon.

Background comments....I purchased and returned the Lazer (heavier than Pistol). Sold my Jiffy and kept my Nils hand auger with drill attachment for back up.
Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
Here is the link to the one I bought. It was on sale for $149.99 and then I paid $14 for shipping....

https://www.marinegeneral.com/product/eskimo-pistol-bit-auger/

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just got the Cabellas ez drill in today, came with a real nice carry bag with a porket inside for drill and 2 batteries, nice blade cover, adapter wit nice large side handle and is under 5 lbs. Cant wait to give this a try. Also the blades are shaver and less than $20 and it has a center point!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Just got the Cabellas ez drill in today, came with a real nice carry bag with a porket inside for drill and 2 batteries, nice blade cover, adapter wit nice large side handle and is under 5 lbs. Cant wait to give this a try. Also the blades are shaver and less than $20 and it has a center point!

If your running it on a Clam Plate and the extension ..you may require some tape to take up some slack ..a dab of Loctite is also a good idea .

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If your running it on a Clam Plate and the extension ..you may require some tape to take up some slack ..a dab of Loctite is also a good idea .
Thatks , no clam plate here. If I had to add that it would be to bulky and heavy, I would just stick to my Ion. Looking to way reduce footprint, It would take up the same space as a Ion.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thatks , no clam plate here. If I had to add that it would be to bulky and heavy, I would just stick to my Ion. Looking to way reduce footprint, It would take up the same space as a Ion.

Let me know how you like it.  I'd like to get rid of the clam plate as well.  I don't see why anyone would get a Kdrill with that on the market now.  Only thing the Kdrill has is chipper blades which are more expensive to replace if damaged.
westernmas on the finder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.