Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Gloves
« Reply #30 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:53 AM »
I use fingerless gloves Ryan. Ones with the mitten flap which i put a hand warmers in when I need them

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:55 AM »
muff is way warmer and postioned more ergonomically than  pockets.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 17, 2020, 10:10 AM »
So the general consensus is to stuff your cold hands into a muff?

There's a joke in there somewhere

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2020, 11:57 AM »
Just received my order from the Bison Wool Company of fingerless bison wool gloves. First impression is they are extremely light and fairly thin compared to my old but good cabelas ones. Their claim is that bison wool is wayyy warmer and lighter. Can't wait to try them out when the temps get real cold to compare because i have always loved my old trusty cabelas ones. Of course they don't make them near to the quality as they used to which is why i had to find an alternative. The bison ones were pretty expensive but I decided i am in search of the best fingerless glove. They were $90 a pair.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:11 PM »
whoah.......for that price im doing the kindergarten trick where you tether them together and run them through the arms of your coat so you never loose them  :)

Offline TKfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:29 PM »
For $15 you can run through a pair a season and not be heartbroken. They've always worked for me.

https://foxsox.com/products/mid-weight-fingerless-ragg-glove?variant=31529267757099

I've always used a big mitt on the really cold days. You can normally still jig with a mitt on, and keep your reeling hand in a coat pocket until you have to use it. I'm looking at getting the Buffalo chopper mitts from Eskimo. They're saying they have 250 grams of Thinsulate Platnum, seems like they'd be the ticket riding out on the sled or wheeler!

https://geteskimo.com/collections/gloves/products/buffalo-chopper-mitt

Offline English

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Take a look at Fish Monkey gloves. They have several new ones out just for ice fishing. I bought a pair of their fingerless wool gloves for Late Fall fishing and I will probably use them for ice fishing as well.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 17, 2020, 05:55 PM »
For $15 you can run through a pair a season and not be heartbroken. They've always worked for me.

https://foxsox.com/products/mid-weight-fingerless-ragg-glove?variant=31529267757099

I've always used a big mitt on the really cold days. You can normally still jig with a mitt on, and keep your reeling hand in a coat pocket until you have to use it. I'm looking at getting the Buffalo chopper mitts from Eskimo. They're saying they have 250 grams of Thinsulate Platnum, seems like they'd be the ticket riding out on the sled or wheeler!

https://geteskimo.com/collections/gloves/products/buffalo-chopper-mitt

Those are the fingerless wool gloves I use.

General info: I learned a long time ago that if you keep key areas of your body warm, your extremities will stay warm too with minimal effort. Of course, everyone is different but if you keep your kidneys and the nape of your neck warm, your body regulates heat much better. A quality hat is also worth its weight in gold for keeping your hands and feet warm. Staying warm isn’t about bulk. It’s about forming air layers between your skin and the outside elements. Your clothes aren’t keeping you warm, they are keeping those air layers from leaking so your body heat warms that air and stays there. Tight boots will also make the rest of your body colder. Proper dress is the key for being able to stay comfortably un-sheltered in -14* 10mph wind. You’ll also save on running a heater. Your friends will hate you for it though.

For what it’s worth, I don’t wear much for ice fishing. My base layer is an ECCW pant/top from a military discount store. Then I wear regular denim jeans and a t-shirt (under the eccw top) and a hoodie. Then I put my bibs on, a cheap $60 pair of Rockies meant for fall hunting. I do wear a Burton snowboarding coat that is fantastic. Top it off with a neck gator and fur trappers hat. For my feet I wear an ultralight thermal liner under heavyweight wool socks (at least 85% wool) and Muck arctic pros. I’ll use an aerosol anti-perspirant on my feet to eliminate sweat (sweaty feet are cold feet, wool socks help a lot here). I say all of this because it’s what I wear so my hands don’t ever get cold while fishing. Takedown and pack up are a different story though. That’s where I switch to wool full fingered gloves and everything goes back to being toasty.

If anyone finds your hands and feet getting too cold, it wouldn’t hurt to reevaluate the rest of your get-up. Staying warm in extreme conditions is a system and when one or more parts of that system aren’t working, the entire setup fails and we end up with frozen fingers and toes.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:51 AM »
cant stand gloves when im doing important stuff like fishing. lol  the hands are feeling the cold more these days though.

last year the wife got me some fingerless glove mitts.  they have a magnet to hold the mitt part back out of the way. silent for hunting use.  the magnet deal works great with just a flip of the wrist its back out of the way.  haven't used them much but when I did I took note of this detail.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2020, 07:11 AM »
The no gloves works for those with amazing circulation, forvthe rest of us a warm corevis important but doesn't replace the need for gloves, thick pair of nitrile gloves 5mm keeps the wind off and helps me a ton when setting tip ups
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Nov 18, 2020, 07:19 AM »

HT polar lined gloves and mittens, just don’t forget and wipe your nose , ouch

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 18, 2020, 08:43 AM »
I don't like gloves.  I have found there is only two things I can do well with gloves on, wave at people and wet my pants.
But I do wear heavy Waterfowl gloves when pulling the sled then change to fingerless flip overs and also a muff with hand warmers while fishing.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:42 AM »
The no gloves works for those with amazing circulation, forvthe rest of us a warm corevis important but doesn't replace the need for gloves, thick pair of nitrile gloves 5mm keeps the wind off and helps me a ton when setting tip ups

Nitrile works for those that don’t sweat! I can literally pour sweat out of nitrile gloves. It’s........gross. I also have less than ideal circulation. That’s why it’s important to keep trying different things until one finds what’s right for them. A warm core is of utmost priority if your goal is creating warmth though and the methods used to maintain that warmth varies from person to person. I’m glad nitrile works for people because it’s a good solution for those it works for. Nobody needs to be uncomfortably cold.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 19, 2020, 10:11 AM »
Back in the day, I worked in a clean room, so I wore a lot of latex gloves. Your hand can smell like a foot after a day wearing them. I don't notice that ice fishing, maybe because I clean fish after, but also, I don't sweat as much because it is cold.
In the clean room, we could put on a pair of thin synthetic gloves, and then latex over the top. I would assume this would also be warmer.
Thin stretchy liner gloves with nitrile mechanics gloves might be a good combination. I used the knit liners alone, but I seemed to get my hooks caught in them.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2020, 10:37 AM »
Nitrile works for those that don’t sweat! I can literally pour sweat out of nitrile gloves. It’s........gross. I also have less than ideal circulation. That’s why it’s important to keep trying different things until one finds what’s right for them. A warm core is of utmost priority if your goal is creating warmth though and the methods used to maintain that warmth varies from person to person. I’m glad nitrile works for people because it’s a good solution for those it works for. Nobody needs to be uncomfortably cold.

I'm in the same boat, last thing I want is to hold a bunch of water against my skin.  I tried fingerless gloves last year which seemed to work well, paired with a pair of big chopper mitts.  I can keep small handwarmers in the mitts so its a nice reprieve in between tending tilts.
-Matt

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 27, 2020, 12:52 PM »
I’ve been using the latex coated gloves for the last several years. Waterproof and insulated.

Wells Lamont Cold Weather Grips

Where's the FISH?!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #46 on: Dec 27, 2020, 01:38 PM »
I’ve been using the latex coated gloves for the last several years. Waterproof and insulated.

Wells Lamont Cold Weather Grips

For some reason the latex always degrade on me.  Otherwise they're great brand new.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 27, 2020, 04:41 PM »
 I wear fingerless wool gloves made and  sold for military used
at local Army --Navy store
 looking at the tag on glove 
Their made in CHINA !!!
What  the   HELLO    going on here  ????
isn't that a  kick the head     LOL   
     :cookoo:
snowsnake

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #48 on: Dec 27, 2020, 04:51 PM »
I wear fingerless wool gloves made and  sold for military used
at local Army --Navy store
 looking at the tag on glove 
Their made in CHINA !!!
What  the   HELLO    going on here  ????
isn't that a  kick the head     LOL   
     :cookoo:

Sad isn't it.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 27, 2020, 07:39 PM »
For some reason the latex always degrade on me.  Otherwise they're great brand new.

I’ve had this pair going on 3 years. Only problem I had was mice chewed a couple holes in the latex of one glove when I left them in the sled overnight. Think there was still fish slime on it. But I just touched up those spots with that spray on rubber stuff. Good as new!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 27, 2020, 07:48 PM »
I use leather palmed, lined work gloves for set up, once fishing, infuse polar Joko therms, they are a drummer Mitt with a removable fleece liner..warm, easy to remove and they make great kneeling pads.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 29, 2020, 08:12 AM »
ive used the ganka leather mitts for 25yrs. now. they are made in quebec , canada not far from me. the only ones ive found to keep my hands warm at -20f. if you mink oil them they are pretty waterproof as well. my original pair is still going 20+ years later but getting pretty thin. i order extra liners also. some local shops carry them here but ive also found them at winnepeg outfitters.com. worth the money.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 29, 2020, 08:15 AM »
you want the best of the best check out timberadobeavermitts.c om. ;)

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #53 on: Dec 29, 2020, 10:20 AM »
I used to wear gloves religiously, finger less, wool, rubber coated, nitrile, I used all of them.

I just stopped using them, the only time I wear gloves is when I am setting up or packing up for the day

I used to use them, then they would get wet from me putting my hands in and out of them, now I just tuck them into my bibs and le them water up and dry out that way
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #54 on: Dec 29, 2020, 10:31 AM »
I honestly cant believe how many voted for glacier gloves..they are complete trash im0. finger holes rip after a single use..not to mention dont use a chisel with these gloves on at the palm foam like material just breaks apart.
my favorite glove when needed is a frabill FXE Gauntlet gloves..i have had a pair for must be 5 plus year and i can still dip my hand in the water wrist deep and not a drop leaks. also like that i can put my cold wet hand right into the glove and they will still warm up!

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Igloolou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 29, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Another vote for fingerless wool gloves.
My old pair were a lot thicker than the new ones made nowadays.  Hopefully, there just as warm. 

I just picked these up yesterday at Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-instinct-wool-fingerless-gloves-for-men
"Don't mind the cracking, it's only getting thicker"!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #57 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:44 PM »
I’ve had this pair going on 3 years. Only problem I had was mice chewed a couple holes in the latex of one glove when I left them in the sled overnight. Think there was still fish slime on it. But I just touched up those spots with that spray on rubber stuff. Good as new!

I've found a nitril glove one just like the Wells Lamont latex one.  This one was at Home Depot with a generic brand called Firm Grip.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #58 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:41 AM »
I just ordered a pair of Fish Monkey Tundra FM25 mitten gloves.
https://www.fishmonkeygloves.com/Item/FM25

I like the idea of waterproof, dedicated pocket for hand warmer pouch, flip glove/mitten for dexterity of uncovered fingertips (thumb flips open too) and then able to warm back up in the mitten. The”finger pulls” are also an interesting concept.

We’ll see, but they checked enough boxes for me.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:50 AM »
The worst part of most gloves/mittens is that have tight cuffs on them. It makes is hard to get them off and on. I had a pair of gloves that  I wore for years that would come off  with a flip of the  wrist. I should have bought  a few pairs like them when I could.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.