Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 5219 times)

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
Gloves
« on: Nov 16, 2020, 12:08 PM »
I did a search and there did not appear to be a Gloves thread in 3 years.

I had a set of Striker Climate gloves that I really liked but a seam came out in the finger so I am looking at what my options are.

While I  fish out of a flip over,  I do spend quite a bit of time out in the open as well.

What are you wearing and what do you like about them?

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2020, 12:40 PM »
No gloves, just a quality hand muff. I've been thinking about getting the gtech headed handmuff but can't quite pull the trigger at $100.
Da Pack!

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2020, 12:57 PM »
muff, hand warmers and fingerless wool gloves...

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2020, 12:57 PM »
I like the Simms (or any wool) fingerless glove.  If it's really cold, I'll still wear the fingerless wool gloves, but I'll also throw on a pair of XL flip-mitts over top and maybe even a hand warmer.  My fingers and toes are alway the first things to get cold, but I need to have quick access to my finger tips for tying, reeling, etc.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Wool fingerless with flip back mitt finger cover for general use, and neoprene gloves for cleaning fish.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2020, 01:07 PM »
fingerless glacier gloves are my goto glove. I usually have several pair with me from big mitts to little cotton ones and all inbetween. Got some Striker Ice Stealth gloves last season and really like them. I like the idea of a hand muff, might have to get me one of those.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2020, 01:17 PM »
I use these. Part glove-part mitten. There is a whole in thumb to expose for full use of your fingers.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2020, 01:20 PM »
I also like fingerless Glacier gloves, but I tend to not fish in super cold weather. The new ones are lined and a little bulkier than my previous pair but I suspect will be warmer as well. Usually I travel with a couple of back up pairs of gloves and or mittens just in case.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2020, 01:26 PM »
I just did a bunch of shopping about a month ago because my no-name snowmobiling gloves were shot last year. Here's what works for me:

Clam edge mitts have been my go-to, my 5-year-old pair is just starting to show a little bit of wear. They're extremely warm but other than pulling a sled and setting up a shack you can't do a whole lot with them on being mitts.

I saw that there was a pair of clam edge gloves as well, and when I saw them for only $10 at the Amazon warehouse, I ordered a pair. They seem very warm, as warm as the mitts almost, but stiff, thick and bulky. Similar to the mitts, I don't think you could do much fishing while wearing them.

If you're looking for gloves that will give you some dexterity, that you can actually still wear while fishing, and still be waterproof, there are a couple. The clam agility and Eskimo roughneck gloves look very similar. I bought the agility gloves, and they feel pretty good. I don't know about actually handling fish, but using a rod shouldn't be any problem. All these gloves are pretty pricey, I found the agility gloves on sale for $40 but still kind of hard to spend that much. unless you're in Arctic conditions and the 150 g of insulation isn't enough, I think that these mechanic style gloves are really the way to go for ice fishing

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2020, 01:31 PM »
Muff is the way to go. Just strap/clip around your waist. I hook forceps with a lanyard onto the strap and also hook 2-3 towels to the strap so you never have to go look for a towel when you need one.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2020, 01:51 PM »
I have a pair of flip mitts and they are not bad. I much prefer fishing without gloves, so I will either bring a hand muff or if tolerable just switch hands on a pole.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2020, 02:04 PM »

Only need gloves for the walk out I do have a pair of lined wool mittens if needed  , I put a hot hand in each pocket  , , my towel and other things are on frabil hangers
 As I seldom fish out side

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2020, 02:16 PM »
We talk about gloves and mitts only like three times out of the year,  lol.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2020, 02:27 PM »
I did a search and there did not appear to be a Gloves thread in 3 years.

Seems like the SEARCH function(s) are wonky ...search the dressing for ice fishing threads ..tons of threads .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2020, 03:56 PM »
I give you wool/fabric glove guys/gals a lot of credit. Any time I've tried using them it isn't long before I end up with my hook buried in one.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:29 PM »
Muff on the coldest days.  Towels every day

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Any recommendations on a hand muff?

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2020, 06:49 PM »
Mine is an older Cabela's Gore-Tex thing.  Works good.

Offline Jimbow11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:02 PM »
No gloves for me either, a muff with one of the rechargeable hand warmers on colder days. Doubles with an LED light and phone charger. Nice to be able to grab something warm if you get a wet hand.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2020, 09:16 PM »
I use mechanic gloves- the nitrile rubber ones. They add just enough for the warm days, and when I need to warm up- Joka-Therm Mittens, maybe with hand warmers in them. All wool gloves seem to catch hooks more than I would like.
Also, whatever you use will need to be laundered, if you are at all successful. Fancy wool or fleece gloves, or gloves in general, are hard to clean. Joka-Therms go through the washer fine, and they sell replacement liners cheap.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:33 AM »
I’m surprised to see this many “fingerless” guys. When I first joined the forum I swear it was just me and another guy.

I use fingerless wool. Pro’s: fingerless for tying with gloves on, stays warm when wet so it doesn’t freeze into a blunt force object, much less bulk than readily available (and usually terrible quality) “ski” gloves. easy to wash, affordable to replace or buy spares. Cons: I don’t see any really. That’s why I use them. I suppose if I had to pick something it would be that the fleece linings in them can become unstitched after a heavy prolonged use but it doesn’t affect their functionality. I do wear a full fingered pair of wool gloves on the walkout/back  on extremely cold and windy days.

To address the laundering that badger123 pointed out, I couldn’t find washing them to be any easier. Super hot tap water in the kitchen sink (mine comes out at 140*) and dawn dish soap. Agitate the pair against themselves with soap. Rinse extremely well in less hot water then final rinse in ice cold water. Let dry completely. Throw them in the dryer for the last 20%-25% of drying if you want to.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2020, 06:24 AM »
Rubber surgical gloves. Especially when baiting. ;)

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2020, 07:48 AM »
Picked these up for 25$ Canadian, on sale from 60$ at my local tackle store. Gonna give em a shot, seem well made and are very warm.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:07 AM »

16 inch Beaver Gauntlets.....that I caught...warm as toast

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:26 AM »
Junkie4Ice.....are those Gtech handmuffs pretty good size? The battery powered ones look great! I wear a Carhartt coat and wanted to make sure I could slide my hands/wrists in these easily.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Junkie4Ice.....are those Gtech handmuffs pretty good size? The battery powered ones look great! I wear a Carhartt coat and wanted to make sure I could slide my hands/wrists in these easily.

I haven't gotten a chance to use them myself yet. I know a few people who have them and said they are awesome though! I'm hoping the wife gets me them as an anniversary present next month lol
Da Pack!

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:12 AM »
So the general consensus is to stuff your cold hands into a muff?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:17 AM »
through a couple hand warmers in there and yup...

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 17, 2020, 09:51 AM »
Fingerless wool is where its at.

Why use a muff when my jacket and bibs have warm pockets?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.