Author Topic: Wierd noises on the ice  (Read 3798 times)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wierd noises on the ice
« on: Dec 27, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Heard the weirdest noises  this evening while checking ice on a pond. The sound was very similar tobthe sound you make when blowing air over the top of a glass jug or glass pop bottle. Anyone have any idea what would cause that?
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wierd noises on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2019, 07:32 PM »
If it was cold enough, you most likely heard the ice freezing and growing. You will hear some really strange and eerie sounds when this takes place...everything from cracking, groaning, and probably, the sounds you said you  heard!
(Or...maybe it was Sasquatch blowing you a kiss!) Lol
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Was there a funky smell coming out of your shirt collar.. ;D

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2019, 07:57 PM »
If it was cold enough, you most likely heard the ice freezing and growing. You will hear some really strange and eerie sounds when this takes place...everything from cracking, groaning, and probably, the sounds you said you  heard!
(Or...maybe it was Sasquatch blowing you a kiss!) Lol

Wasnt really cold enough to be freezing and growing that fast was in the low 40s this afternoon. It was right at sunset but i have only ever heard popping sounds when the ice is growing this is thebfirst time i have ever heard this sound.

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2019, 09:19 AM »
Any pipes or well casing sticking up in the air. There is water intake tower on a lake we fish. When the wind blows just right it sounds like that.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Just wait till a crack comes right up underneath ya and the lake blows and spits up a mist right under you.  There will be some weird noises coming from people.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Any pipes or well casing sticking up in the air. There is water intake tower on a lake we fish. When the wind blows just right it sounds like that.

Not that i know of. I fish this lake a lot since it is right in town and i have never heard anything like it and have never heard anyone else say they have either till last week a guy said he heard something strange also, not sure if he heard the same noise. I didnt hear ant ice popping or cracking sounds and the 5 inches i was on felt pretty solid. There were cracks in rhe ice that were froze up where you could tell water had come out. But it is right in town so maybe there is a new pipe or something at a house nearby that was making that sound with the tiny bit of wind that was blowing yesterday

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Just wait till a crack comes right up underneath ya and the lake blows and spits up a mist right under you.  There will be some weird noises coming from people.  ;D

I have had cracks happen close to me but havent felt any mist yet lol

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:02 AM »
I have had cracks happen close to me but havent felt any mist yet lol

It might have been frozen mist pretty much at that point, but still the guys that were experiencing it the first time, did they jumped.  LOL.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:10 AM »
It might have been frozen mist pretty much at that point, but still the guys that were experiencing it the first time, did they jumped.  LOL.

I have had 4 inches of ice feel like it dropped out from under me, that was fun haha

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:45 AM »
I bought a large bag of Smarties a while back. My wife calls them Farties.  I guess I do have some strange sounds as well.
<===Lefty===

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2019, 01:06 PM »
You mean like when you realize the water has dropped under the ice and it finally cracks and drops the 6-8” to the water. Lol those funny noises and smells to follow from people
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2019, 02:14 PM »
You mean like when you realize the water has dropped under the ice and it finally cracks and drops the 6-8” to the water. Lol those funny noises and smells to follow from people

And you have to be right on the spot where it is most obvious too.  You see the ice on the shore just now a few inches higher...and you know when you came out, it was leveled.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2019, 04:44 PM »
I have had 4 inches of ice feel like it dropped out from under me, that was fun haha

Happens on big lakes a lot.  Love it when you get a huge boom and then its quiet for an hour or two after.  Ive had my heater and flasher knocked off my bucket a few times. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2019, 04:56 PM »
I took a friend ice fishing for his first time and it was at night. We were on about five inches of ice in my two person porty when a crack ran under us and bounced us a few inches off of the ice. My friend jumped up and hit his head on one of the frame tubes. We went home early and to my knowledge he  never ice fished again.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2019, 11:57 PM »
More than likely, it was Apetor from you tube. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2019, 04:43 AM »
Happens on big lakes a lot.  Love it when you get a huge boom and then its quiet for an hour or two after.  Ive had my heater and flasher knocked off my bucket a few times.
Gotta love it when the ice shifts , Specially when you have a person with you that has never experienced one,  the look on their face 😳

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2019, 05:08 AM »
my only suggestion is wen you hear that noise  RUN FOR SHORE!!!!!

open area  was the wind blowing  ... either ice expanding or wind causing a venturi  affect trees can do that

Offline bwjay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2019, 12:19 PM »
I've heard that weird soda bottle noise too. I think it's expansion and contraction of the ice, and air being sucked in/pushed out from under the ice, and the air makes that strange reverberation noise. BLUB... BLUUUUUUB....

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2019, 03:45 PM »
I've heard that weird soda bottle noise too. I think it's expansion and contraction of the ice, and air being sucked in/pushed out from under the ice, and the air makes that strange reverberation noise. BLUB... BLUUUUUUB....

Thanks for the answer. It makes sense

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2019, 04:12 PM »
The only weird noises I hear out on the ice usually come from my ice shanty after we cook up some chili.  It usually sounds like Pfffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffff f.....pfffff......pfff ffffffff.....pffffffff .

But, whatever you do........Don't fully commit on the push if you're over 40.  You might just end up with a Finless Brown Trouser Trout.  Just saying.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2020, 04:23 AM »
Yup makes sense
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:04 AM »
Boogie man.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2020, 02:52 PM »
That’s been my biggest fear of ice fishing since I started, a giant pressure ridge/heave splitting right beneath my feet and creating a 3 foot wide river.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2020, 04:55 PM »
Never eat chili the night before putting on bibs...
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2020, 04:57 PM »
and if you do, make sure you open your jacket & bibs about 1/2 hr before going inside.

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:20 PM »
It’s entertaining watching the noobies freak out when the ice makes noise.  Years ago I took my girlfriend at the time out when the ice was creaking and she lost it and waited in the truck until I was done. 

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2020, 06:28 AM »
That’s been my biggest fear of ice fishing since I started, a giant pressure ridge/heave splitting right beneath my feet and creating a 3 foot wide river.
I have never thought of setting up on a pressure ridge. That’s a new one those are dangerous
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2020, 01:15 PM »

Yea.  The point of a structure as sometimes just happens to be where the main lake ice is, meets that leads to the bay.  Could've been a popular spot in open water that produces.  So it goes that when ice comes, make the drive to such lake and get there just to see that spot is where the ice has jaws of death.

Also where the public access, appears that someone has tried to plow a snow bank.  Whereas it was nothing more that the ice heave meets shore.

The biggest fear for me is people just driving up to ya on early ice just making 10-12 inches, when one knows to keep heavyweight vehicles away from each other.  Is there a need to go park right up next to someone?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:35 AM »

Upper Red 2016 Dec 19.....the day more brown trout showed up in the resort dumpster then walleye carcasses.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.