Author Topic: Wierd noises on the ice  (Read 3800 times)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wierd noises on the ice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:43 AM »

Upper Red 2016 Dec 19.....the day more brown trout showed up in the resort dumpster then walleye carcasses.

That would have been an attention getter for sure
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:56 AM »
The biggest fear for me is people just driving up to ya on early ice just making 10-12 inches, when one knows to keep heavyweight vehicles away from each other.  Is there a need to go park right up next to someone?

It always suprises me just how totally stupid people are. Just this year when we were coming off the ice on my anual upper red trip we met a Darwin Award recipient. If he would have been coming off the ice I would have freaking smacked him in the face at the access.

16in of ice......holds ruffly 10 ton/20,000lbs on good solid clear ice.

1500 four door truck with an 8x16 wheel house fully loaded is about 11,000-12,000lbs. For the whole rig. (At least mine was on the scale)

So we are coming off upper red and are meeting up with another rig that's going out comparable to mine in size. This is occuring about 200yards from the bridge they had going over a questionable ice crack.

So has I'm meeting up to this other rig I get has far on my side of the road to the shoulder has far as I could. The Guy with a rig like mine coming out does the same only on his side.  We have a little over a pickup width between us both going about 15mph....then some stupid mother decides he needs to pass this guy coming out and drives his full size pickup between the two of us, has we are going by each other.

Hey Darwin.....because of you we had about 27,000lbs ruffly in that small area.........200yards from the questionable ice bridge......

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2020, 05:11 AM »
It always suprises me just how totally stupid people are. Just this year when we were coming off the ice on my anual upper red trip we met a Darwin Award recipient. If he would have been coming off the ice I would have freaking smacked him in the face at the access.

16in of ice......holds ruffly 10 ton/20,000lbs on good solid clear ice.

1500 four door truck with an 8x16 wheel house fully loaded is about 11,000-12,000lbs. For the whole rig. (At least mine was on the scale)

So we are coming off upper red and are meeting up with another rig that's going out comparable to mine in size. This is occuring about 200yards from the bridge they had going over a questionable ice crack.

So has I'm meeting up to this other rig I get has far on my side of the road to the shoulder has far as I could. The Guy with a rig like mine coming out does the same only on his side.  We have a little over a pickup width between us both going about 15mph....then some stupid mother decides he needs to pass this guy coming out and drives his full size pickup between the two of us, has we are going by each other.

Hey Darwin.....because of you we had about 27,000lbs ruffly in that small area.........200yards from the questionable ice bridge......
Definite Darwin recipient but... that sounds like big ice issues. O yea 15 mph is to fast for heavy weight travel on ice I would have been more around 5mph, slower is better.
O yea I may have been required to turn around and slap him silly for that one.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:27 AM »
Got to love it when topics get so far off the original.

So trying to bring it back, how much ice was there and does this pond have any "wetlands" marshy areas around it edges that might have still had open water in them?
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:40 AM »
Got to love it when topics get so far off the original.

So trying to bring it back, how much ice was there and does this pond have any "wetlands" marshy areas around it edges that might have still had open water in them?

5 inches, edges were frozen. Quite a few stress cracks though from the poor winter we have had so far in southern Montana
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:24 AM »
Just sounds like a noise that an American Bittern makes. 
If there is marshy cat-tail areas around the pond.  these are places that Bittern's like to hang out.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.