Author Topic: Are you ready...  (Read 4153 times)

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Are you ready...
« on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:35 AM »
to buy a $5 stamp to fish trout and salmon?? Haven't heard much talk about this... apparently everyone is on board with it? It says ought to pass... get ready for another fee!

https://legiscan.com/NH/text/HB516/id/1850246

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Are you ready...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:41 AM »
Luckily I'll be exempt... ;D

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Call your state reps, I know I will be.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:56 AM »
I read it as “to take” so only if you keep them but you can still target them without the $5 stamp? Either way it’s ugly  :P
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:57 AM »
So, based on the info provided we'll have to pay for a $5 trout/salmon stamp, where the money doesn't go for trout or salmon?
Exactly what is "pollution control equipment" and how does it relate to increased trout and salmon stocking?

Sounds like another example of adding a fee to buy something that they "think" they need but don't want to pay for with their existing budget.

Here in MA when they instituted the mandatory Salt Water license, the money was supposed to go towards increased staffing, but the first thing they did was buy new boats and SUV's for the existing staff. Many anglers here in MA have been fishing the salt and have yet to see a EPO/Game Warden in their travels.

Now will that amount be increased for out-of-state anglers, or will it just be an additional $5 added to the $63 we already pay???
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:01 PM »
How about a $5 stamp to fish "Fly Fishing Only" areas.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:03 PM »
I read it as “to take” so only if you keep them but you can still target them without the $5 stamp? Either way it’s ugly  :P
The definition of "taking" also includes attempting to take.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:04 PM »

If you target them you will be summonsed!

Take or Taking: Includes pursuing, shooting, hunting, killing, capturing, trapping, snaring, and netting wildlife, and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying, worrying, wounding, or placing, setting, drawing, or using any net or other device commonly used to take wildlife, whether they result in taking or not. Includes every attempt to take and every act of assistance to every other person in taking or attempting to take wildlife, provided that whenever taking is allowed by law, reference is had to taking by lawful means and in a lawful manner.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:14 PM »

If you target them you will be summonsed!

Take or Taking: Includes pursuing, shooting, hunting, killing, capturing, trapping, snaring, and netting wildlife, and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying, worrying, wounding, or placing, setting, drawing, or using any net or other device commonly used to take wildlife, whether they result in taking or not. Includes every attempt to take and every act of assistance to every other person in taking or attempting to take wildlife, provided that whenever taking is allowed by law, reference is had to taking by lawful means and in a lawful manner.

Correct!

You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:28 PM »
So, based on the info provided we'll have to pay for a $5 trout/salmon stamp, where the money doesn't go for trout or salmon?
Exactly what is "pollution control equipment" and how does it relate to increased trout and salmon stocking?

Sounds like another example of adding a fee to buy something that they "think" they need but don't want to pay for with their existing budget.

Here in MA when they instituted the mandatory Salt Water license, the money was supposed to go towards increased staffing, but the first thing they did was buy new boats and SUV's for the existing staff. Many anglers here in MA have been fishing the salt and have yet to see a EPO/Game Warden in their travels.

Now will that amount be increased for out-of-state anglers, or will it just be an additional $5 added to the $63 we already pay???

They don’t “think” they need the equipment, they need it or else it won’t be there anymore.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:35 PM »

The way it reads to me is that this going to be added onto the licenses. I don’t believe the $5 fee is a choice, but I could be wrong.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:36 PM »
Think this has to do with the hatchery by merrymeeting and some legal dispute with people that live on the river. Fish and game needs to install some equipment due to that situation.  ? Itll be interesting to see what happens.
Salmonemia

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:40 PM »
did I read that this would provide an additional $755k per year? For that kinda money they better be turning that polluted water into wine. I don't question the validity of the need, but I do question the cost.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Ugh - another reason not to ice fish in NH

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2019, 02:07 PM »
Luckily I'll be exempt... ;D

How so? Age?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:03 PM »
Think this has to do with the hatchery by merrymeeting and some legal dispute with people that live on the river. Fish and game needs to install some equipment due to that situation.  ? Itll be interesting to see what happens.
You're right here, Wayne.
The "Conservation Law Foundation" has approached people who abut the MM river and is representing them in a suit against NHF&G and the commissioners.
They're basically suing for the high phosphorous levels found in the MM river and blaming Powder Mill Hatchery. People who know that hatchery, know the water comes from the lake, through the hatchery down the river and feeds in to Winni.
Anyone familiar with Champlain, Lake Ontario, Chesapeake Bay and many other bodies of water are aware of algal blooms and other harmful issues caused by excessive phosphorous and nitrogen. 
One thing that may have been overlooked by the Conservation Law Foundation, is that the abutters of the MM lake have nice lawns that are most probably fertilized. Fertilizer run off is one of the big sources of Nitrogen and Phosphorous.
Never the less, if the PM hatchery is not "improved", F&G and the commissioners will be liable. Powder Mill hasn't produced the quality salmon needed to thrive after release in our lakes, for some time now. It's past time to rebuild and update that hatchery anyway.
FWIW, the salmon eggs have gone to the Nashua hatchery and the salmon will be raised there until PM is rebuilt. 
AND, for all you naysayers and quarterback biologists, economists, and conspiracy theorists out there, F&G is and has been well aware of the issues. They work on a shoe string budget. If you think the price of a dozen shiners, a jig or a tin of chew  is too much to add to your license to fish for trout or salmon for a year, there's plenty of warm water bodies out there.   

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:10 PM »
How so? Age?

Bought a lifetime license in 1986... lifetime licenses are exempt.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:19 PM »
FWIW, the salmon eggs have gone to the Nashua hatchery and the salmon will be raised there until PM is rebuilt.

State of NH owns 6... https://wildlife.state.nh.us/about/visit.html  Why are they using the Federal Hatchery for NH fish?

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Interesting point..Igot a lifetime for Christmas from the wife couple years ago so was curious if it would apply. I know VT has the $5 stamp that is optional and u can pick how much u want to pay/donate. I'm nh res.but I always throw the extra in ..but to some other's points, I'd like to think the $$ is going to where it's supposed to

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Because they stopped stocking those federal (sea run) salmon a little while ago.
Now, that was a boondoggle!  :cookoo:
All the present state hatcheries are needed to do what they've been doing.
PM has to be shut down, leaving a void.
The good news is that the state and feds worked out a deal where the state is only paying utility costs for the Nashua hatchery while they use it, so I'm told.
That's a win, win in my book. 

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:31 PM »
New Hampshire already has the most expensive license in New England. Still, I'd pay the price of the stamp even if it's another $45, and most others probably would as well, but there could be other avenues of funding for this project.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:36 PM »
but there could be other avenues of funding for this project.
I think other avenues would be fun to entertain. Probably a moot point but I'll bet F&G wouldn't turn down any legitimate money. They've been looking for more money for years!
What funding ideas would you propose? 

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:50 PM »
What funding ideas would you propose?
Write more tickets for unregistered boats, increase fee of hike safe card to $10 instead of $5, and perhaps a modest $2-$3 increase for a moose plate. It would also be interesting to see how much public support an annual fee to use and park at a NHFG-maintained boat ramp without having a hunting or fishing license would gather.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:02 PM »
 :tipup:

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Because they stopped stocking those federal (sea run) salmon a little while ago.
Now, that was a boondoggle!  :cookoo:
All the present state hatcheries are needed to do what they've been doing.   
PM has to be shut down, leaving a void.
The good news is that the state and feds worked out a deal where the state is only paying utility costs for the Nashua hatchery while they use it, so I'm told.
That's a win, win in my book.
.  I have no problem with this proposal... so why not allow the Fed hatchery to raise them from now on?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:07 PM »
Write more tickets for unregistered boats, increase fee of hike safe card to $10 instead of $5, and perhaps a modest $2-$3 increase for a moose plate. It would also be interesting to see how much public support an annual fee to use and park at a NHFG-maintained boat ramp without having a hunting or fishing license would gather.

Your last point is quite interesting. Neat idea.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Your last point is quite interesting. Neat idea.

Are we talking about Kayaks?

Bought a lifetime license in 1986... lifetime licenses are exempt.

I have a lifetime too would it be exempt for a stamp?

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Does NH F&G get any state funding  ??? Or are they self sufficient...in Mass an Maine I believe F&G are part of the state police  ???
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Great info Richard!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:26 PM »

Also enforce and fine the damned no wake zone violators on Winni...that would be a windfall right there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.