Author Topic: derby wind  (Read 9465 times)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
derby wind
« on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:10 AM »
is it me or am I seeing wind 20 to 30 on Saturday?
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: derby wind
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Yeah, looks windy and cold. I think you guys should all sit this one out

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Yeah, looks windy and cold. I think you guys should all sit this one out
classic  :-\
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Just messin with ya, I'm seeing 12-16 mph with the random gust up to 25 ish

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:41 AM »
I'm seeing the same thing Jibbs.  Been monitoring the 10 day forecast for days and it keeps getting windier..  Going to be in a two person Eskimo pop out shanty so will definitely have to secure it down to the ice or it will become a kite and end up on the other side of the lake.  Unfortunate because weather like that limits mobility.  Typical, I think I have only fished 1 derby in favorable conditions.       
>))))))>

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Wouldn't be the derby without some elements of misey,that wind will be the cold front spilling in behind the rain on Friday,at least we won't have a few feet of snow and a slush fest like we had a few years ago. .IMHO,.Weather looks kind of nice.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Wouldn't be the derby without some elements of misey,that wind will be the cold front spilling in behind the rain on Friday,at least we won't have a few feet of snow and a slush fest like we had a few years ago. .IMHO,.Weather looks kind of nice.

I am with you. I like what I see.
Just add water.

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:39 AM »
My phone has been showing 18mph for Saturday. Nothing I hate more than fishing in the wind. I can deal with the cold but the wind sucks. Rain Friday doesn't interest me either
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:23 PM »
A little adversity will keep the "rookies" at home.
I figure that me and my 1 person flip over will be seeking a sheltered shoreline to minimize some of the wind.
Then it's just a matter of grinning and bearing with it.

I agree, if cold and wind are all we have to deal with, we can deal with it better than deep snow or slush...or even no ice at all!!!

It just means you will need to prepare for these conditions more readily and not "wing it"...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Heee heee heeee! Goddamn collar bone...

See ya in March.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:28 PM »
The Derby always sends us something.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Might be some “Ill winds” comin from some of them bob houses. Lotsa drinkin, eatin, and what usually follows is lotsa fartin too!
Maybe there should be a skid mark derby...I might have a chance then. ::)

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:51 PM »
I’ll take the wind over the snow as well!!! The fish don’t feel the wind and as long as it’s a west wind we are good
Wait there's ice????

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:02 PM »
Heee heee heeee! Goddamn collar bone...

See ya in March.

Mr. Harry, come on out to our hard sides if you want to get out for the derby.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:22 PM »
what weather forecast do you use?
Salmonemia

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Mr. Harry, come on out to our hard sides if you want to get out for the derby.
Thanks for the invite, but I don’t think i’m Going to be anywhere near the big lake this weekend. If I was, I would.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:12 PM »
what weather forecast do you use?
I look at several including noaa, then look at the map and draw my own conclusions.
They all lie, I can Guess  with the best of them.bottom.line, nothing I can do about it so I deal with it.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:07 PM »
I look at several including noaa, then look at the map and draw my own conclusions.
They all lie, I can Guess  with the best of them.bottom.line, nothing I can do about it so I deal with it.

This is true!! Good attitude to have!! I never expect that while ice fishing I’ll be warm and comfy!!
Wait there's ice????

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:11 PM »

It's like the Rocky movie when he fought Clubber Lane,"I predict pain"

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:40 PM »
I know this is a little off topic, but I am planning to camp out on the ice Thursday night. Do you think with the snow cover melted and some rain/sleet in the forecast it's a bad idea? Last time I tried to do this the wind picked up and we had a foot or 2 of water on the ice. Not trying to repeat that mess! Anyone know how much precipitation is expected Thursday?
Tight Lines!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:57 PM »
I know this is a little off topic, but I am planning to camp out on the ice Thursday night. Do you think with the snow cover melted and some rain/sleet in the forecast it's a bad idea? Last time I tried to do this the wind picked up and we had a foot or 2 of water on the ice. Not trying to repeat that mess! Anyone know how much precipitation is expected Thursday?
From the indicator I see, it'll be more of an annoyance, that a threat, it's still early, we'll see in a few days,25 years ago, I stayed out on the ice in a pup tent, long story short, it snowed 12" that night, friday, one of the wardens stopped by and basically told me I was off my rocker, the next morning he made his rounds as I hunkered down making breakfast,  he said " by God your still alive"..I'm older ,wiser and have more money, these days I have nice equipment and sleep in a hotel room..

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:01 PM »
From the indicator I see, it'll be more of an annoyance, that a threat, it's still early, we'll see in a few days,25 years ago, I stayed out on the ice in a pup tent, long story short, it snowed 12" that night, friday, one of the wardens stopped by and basically told me I was off my rocker, the next morning he made his rounds as I hunkered down making breakfast,  he said " by God your still alive"..I'm older ,wiser and have more money, these days I have nice equipment and sleep in a hotel room..
I love hearing Winni stories like that, I have a bunch as well.  Some things I would never do again and lucky nothing bad happened even fairly recently, but it sure was fun!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:18 PM »
I love hearing Winni stories like that, I have a bunch as well.  Some things I would never do again and lucky nothing bad happened even fairly recently, but it sure was fun!
It's just goes to show we are a fraternity of lunatics.
I had just met my current wife, she grew up in the Bronx, she just couldn't conceive it,little did she know , I had run wilderness trap lines and had slept under less,accommodating conditions.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:23 PM »

Great story Roccus...never slept out on a lake in a blizzard! You are a fisherman my friend!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:44 PM »
it stories like that make me want to try it! I will be staying in a house on the lake fri-Sun but always wanted to try camping on the ice. Going to put the thermal Clam 6 man and the zero degree bag to the test! but would like to stay dry and jig for some cusk....
Tight Lines!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2019, 01:58 AM »
it stories like that make me want to try it! I will be staying in a house on the lake fri-Sun but always wanted to try camping on the ice. Going to put the thermal Clam 6 man and the zero degree bag to the test! but would like to stay dry and jig for some cusk....

Make sure you have a good pad/insulating layer below you - that's where your cold will be coming from.  All the insulation above you is fine - but the bag will compress under you and its the insulating layer between you and the ice that will make all the difference in being warm.  Enjoy

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:25 AM »
There is a great thread on here I read up on. I have interlocking foam Matt’s to throw under the cot and a sleeping pad as well.
Tight Lines!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:36 AM »
There is a great thread on here I read up on. I have interlocking foam Matt’s to throw under the cot and a sleeping pad as well.

I have been there basin!! Me and some buddies wanted to try the sleep in the ice thing and we found out what we were lacking lol the foam mats are key lol asgir te cold being it will be 40’s in Friday I think you’ll be alright just don’t forget a carbon monoxide monitor though!!! I’m with you on te jogging for cusk though!! Good luck this weekend bud!!
Wait there's ice????

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:02 AM »
Make sure you have a good pad/insulating layer below you - that's where your cold will be coming from.  All the insulation above you is fine - but the bag will compress under you and its the insulating layer between you and the ice that will make all the difference in being warm.  Enjoy
Air mattress,  light, and doesn't take up a little of space when rolled up.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:54 AM »
early forecast looks like post-front, blue skies, NW 17-25 mph & cranking.  real feel of 8.  ack!  i'd rather fish in the rain.

hope the forecast moderates just a bit b/c it will make finding fish easier for me.

the good news is the warm temps/rain, etc. should make for easy dragging by Saturday.

going to set-up on the northside in the lee or maybe behind an island.  with my flip-over + heater, it should be OK.   :tipup:

watch out for unattended items flying across the big lake!   :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.