Author Topic: Tip up sucker question  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tip up sucker question
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:53 PM »
I bought half a dozen tip up suckers today to better my chances while I sit in my shack and jig for Lakers. I'm not a big traps guy I jig mainly for lakers. Any one have any tips for rigging these guys up on a trap? Is a foot a long enough leader? Preferred hook placement? Any best practices would be appreciated. Thanks!
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip up sucker question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:25 PM »
I am interested to see if anyone with experience replies, but while having not done it personally,I have heard of people cutting the tail off of a big tip up sucker to simulate/create a distressed baitfish situation.

Hopefully you can nab that big one that tormented you under your shack a few weeks back...

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:04 AM »
I am interested to see if anyone with experience replies, but while having not done it personally,I have heard of people cutting the tail off of a big tip up sucker to simulate/create a distressed baitfish situation.

Hopefully you can nab that big one that tormented you under your shack a few weeks back...

Yeah me too and I'm pretty green on the laker trap set-up......I can picture that moment it let go......I have seen a few good marks this past week bigger than other marks I've been seeing so hopefully it's still close. I figure I've got the available line and why not set a trap. I've also thought about getting a rattle reel set up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:57 AM »
Rubber band trick for sure so the flag doesn’t keep popping
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:28 AM »
I have the smaller scotty clips on my traps to keep the suckers from popping the flags.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:51 PM »
I have the smaller scotty clips on my traps to keep the suckers from popping the flags.

Even better  :clap:

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:28 PM »
I installed some big bait clips on my jack traps, hope to use them this weekend.
Salmonemia

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Curious - as I have not done much with large baits...

Some of my traps have and adjustable drag/tension knob/spring on them, which I have tightened some the few times I have used larger bait.
Are there pro's and con's for adding some tension to the spool to prevent the sucker from tripping the flag - but still allowing the predator to?

One I can think of is that with the tension set - the resistance is constant  - versus the clip, which once released the spool will free-spin and thus the predator does not feel the drag.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Yes that is the con for sure, that’s why we mentioned rubber bands and release clips etc so you don’t need to tighten the tension. These will hold the bait for you without tripping the flag but yet will break away after a fish takes it without having the spool tightened right down.

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:57 PM »
10" plus sucker, smash their head and gut so the entrails are hanging out, dead on bottom.. sorry, kind of graphic. No need for drag.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Fishing live or dead? It makes a difference (sort of). Either way, if you're dangling footlongs a tandem Q/S rig is the order of the day if it's legal where you fish. Fixed end hook goes near the head and the adjustable (or also fixed) second hook goes near the dorsal. If you get a flag and they're taking line, tighten up and put the steel to 'em. If multiple hooks are not legal one treble (or single) at the dorsal just like you hook smaller minnows will work best.

As far as controlling big live bait, the rubber band trick might be the best (https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=266318.0) Weight can be splitshot up the leader. Weight for dead can be a 16p nail down the mouth or up the vent, your choice.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:30 PM »
I got out for a bit today and it was beautiful out unfortunately I only had two hours to fish. I set up in 50 fow I wasnt using big suckers they were probably 4 inches or so. Used about a foot of leader and a splitshot sent it down to the bottom and had a flag in about ten min. Went over the spool was slowly spinning so I pulled it and set it and missed it...... I got a bit anxious and should have waited a little longer I guess. I had the sucker hooked behind the head a bit. Other than that no action today had a few chasing the bucktail for a bit but nothing eating.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Fishing live or dead? It makes a difference (sort of). Either way, if you're dangling footlongs a tandem Q/S rig is the order of the day if it's legal where you fish. Fixed end hook goes near the head and the adjustable (or also fixed) second hook goes near the dorsal. If you get a flag and they're taking line, tighten up and put the steel to 'em. If multiple hooks are not legal one treble (or single) at the dorsal just like you hook smaller minnows will work best.

As far as controlling big live bait, the rubber band trick might be the best (https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=266318.0) Weight can be splitshot up the leader. Weight for dead can be a 16p nail down the mouth or up the vent, your choice.

Thanks for the link to the rubber band set up I'll try that if I get some bigger suckers for sure.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:42 PM »
I got out for a bit today and it was a beautiful out unfortunately I only had two hours to fish. I set up in 50 fow I want using big suckers they were probably 4 inches or so.

FWIW in this part of the country big suckers are 6 - 9", maybe larger if we can get 'em for pike. 4" bait is an easy single hook (or treble) hooked midships.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:31 AM »

Thanks AA - that is what I figured..

Thanks for the link to the rubber band post too esox_xtm... interesting technique...

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:51 AM »
Use downrigger clips and screw them into the bottom of the tip up.  Large bait won't trip it, but once the flag goes - no tension for the fish to feel.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Not the size I was looking for but my presentation worked

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Nice!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Thanks!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:36 AM »
Well you have the presentation and location right - nice job.

Way to save the bigger one for the derby  :)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Not the size I was looking for but my presentation worked

nice job bet its nice out there
Salmonemia

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:52 AM »
It's beautiful out a little wet on the ice not as bad as I thought it would be.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.