Author Topic: Sharp fillet knife?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
Sharp fillet knife?
« on: Dec 16, 2018, 04:49 AM »
What do you use or recommend to sharpen your knife..
I had the ceramic sticks  which seem to have stop
working for some reason.I noticed yesterday while
cleaning some trout..Just didn't seem to be doing the
job any more.. ??? ??? Do they do that for some reason.
Any ideas on getting something new or better?
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Sharp fillet knife?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2018, 05:29 AM »
I just took my knives in to have sharpened professionally and the guy told me that the best way to keep them sharp is to use a steel...3 or 4 strokes down each side during use. I got one from Amazon for $10. I asked him about the ceramic sharpeners and he told me that unless you can hold it at just the right angle they don't work as well as the steel. He said even those little ceramic sharpeners that come with some filet knives don't work well either because the blade has to sit almost perfectly in the "crotch" to sharpen effectively.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2018, 05:29 AM »
Ceramic sticks need to be cleaned with Ajax or Comet to make them work well.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2018, 05:40 AM »

I use a steel , and I have a work sharp if needed ,

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2018, 06:21 AM »
Ceramic sticks need to be cleaned with Ajax or Comet to make them work well.. ;)
X-2
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2018, 06:43 AM »
I have a set of the ceramic crock sticks that I received as a gift 35 years ago.  They are white and turn gray as I use them.  The above post is correct the blade steel fills the pores of the ceramic and I have to scrub with some type of abrasive cleaner.  The v shaped ones that come with some knives are of little use after a few sharpenings, there is no way to clean them. 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2018, 06:59 AM »
I use a Work Sharp to set the edge and a steel to keep the edge aligned.

I can also get knives shaving sharp with a stone free hand but that takes more time.

WS

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2018, 07:51 AM »
+1 for Work Sharp

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:01 AM »
Tried a Lanskey and once I got a work sharp that’s all I use. Takes just a minute and razor sharp every time. 👍

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:22 AM »
I use a Lansky kit also, holds the angle perfect . Use it on all my knifes for a very long time . Highly recommend

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:26 AM »
broad head sharpener from 3 rivers archery Simple fast and easy  Check them out Its called Redi edge

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Tried a Lanskey and once I got a work sharp that’s all I use. Takes just a minute and razor sharp every time. 👍
   x2   :thumbsup:
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Buy a stone with two different grits, coarse and fine. Take a knife that is not your favorite filet knife and start practicing. Buy a knife from the thrift store for a dollar and sharpen it. Purposely dull it on a piece of plywood or something and then sharpen it back up. Filet knives are easy and quick to take a razors edge. I had the same fears of inadequacy when I was first getting started but it took maybe two times of playing around with a stone before I could get literally every knife I've ever owned razor sharp. I have a stone in my truck, at my camp, and in my kitchen. They are easy to pack and always have on hand and no electricity needed.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I have a Japanese Water Stone which I used to use a lot. Now however I rarely need it because on the advice of some friends (professional Chefs) I us a sharpening steel. Despite the fact that is old (like me) ;), a few quick strokes and the blade is realigned and working nicely. Important to maintain the same angle, however.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:11 AM »
My wife's uncle was a butcher. He said use steel or ceramic to just touch up the edge.  He said all knives need to be professionally sharpened periodically.  He preferred ceramic to steel.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Work Sharp to sharpen and a steel keep the blade aligned.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2018, 09:57 AM »
I just picked up a King 1000/6000 stone off of Amazon for $25.  I did a lot of research, and this seemed to be the best beginner stone out there to learn on.  Haven't spend much time practicing, but a stone is what all the japanese sushi chefs use, and they need their knives razor sharp.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2018, 10:20 AM »
What kind of fillet knife ?? If it's a rapala  stick with the ceramic sticks they come with some even come with a steel one side ceramic on the other. 

As for victorinix forsner I use a steel on it I tried ceramics won't work for it so I bought the steel ment for that brand

Others like pocket hunting I use a lansky sharpening system

As for power sharpening LIke the work sharp I don't recomend it..  for one it can be easy to use.  also can take off way more then needed on every use and screw up your blades..

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2018, 10:28 AM »
My wife's uncle was a butcher. He said use steel or ceramic to just touch up the edge.  He said all knives need to be professionally sharpened periodically.  He preferred ceramic to steel.
thats Because professional butchers and meat shops use a belt sharpener ( Hobart used to make a great one )that’s very similar to a work sharp only about 20 times more expensive. I don’t think Hobart even makes those things anymore but if you can pick one up on one of the sites or something like that, do it. Be sure it has belts with it or availability of new ones

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2018, 11:25 AM »

And at the price I paid, no reason not to. Guy did 6 knives @ $4 each.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2018, 02:37 PM »
That’s very true too.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2018, 03:09 PM »
I prefer steel. My fillet knife is a Wusthof and steel seems to keep it sharp.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:11 AM »
I use a Lansky kit also, holds the angle perfect . Use it on all my knifes for a very long time . Highly recommend

What angle is the best for a fillet knife?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2018, 12:40 PM »
What angle is the best for a fillet knife?

I think it's 15 to 25*  for fillet knifes if you can there is a percision sharpener out there that goes to 8* on up to 40* the thinner the blade lower the angle like chef knifes and fillet knifes like low angles this is cause they get razor sharp..  now pocket knife hunting knife are more of a work tool edge good between 20 and 30*
..  and tool like axes pruners etc like edges that are between 30 and 40*  ..
 wich is a strongger edge that won't ware out easily.. but I don't like the lansky as much for fillet knifes unLess your trying to reshape a bad edge?? All it should need is honing on ceramic??  if done right you don't need to reform the edge.. that's why a lot of guys send in to reform the edge to a sharpening serviceto be pro sharpened..

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2018, 02:51 PM »
Work sharp works pretty well for me

Offline Jwelch4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2018, 03:08 PM »
I use a combo king stone for my pricey knives and a 1x32 harborfreight belt sander with grits ranging from 600-2000 and a strop belt with compound. The worksharps are fantastic but I havent used one. Basically if you would like to sharpen it yourself pick a method stone/sander/benchgrinder and learn how to use it. If not have it professionally sharpened occasionally and keep it straight with a hone.

A strop with compound is a great thing to have around , is more forgiving with angles, and can extend extend the amount of time between proper sharpening.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2018, 03:20 PM »
Work sharp works pretty well for me

There's nothing wrong with the work sharp people that own it got to be carefull  though!! not to over do the  amount of sharpening  causeing reshaping of blade..  they do!! This is cause the blade will sooner or later deform and not work correctly by over doing it..  I mean useing a low grit belt too much and wrecking  the blade at the wtong angles.. at that point you could just use a bench grinder to sharpen your knifes and screw them up..  as in useing a 60 or 36 grit stone on a grinder.. and take off more metal then needed  and doing this multiple times really deform blades .. that's why I like the lansky sharpening system it helps same as work shrsp hols the angle but your doing all by hand so it harder to mess things up.. cause it takes longer to deform the blade and you relize really quick it's wrong cause it to reform the edge real quick..

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2018, 04:12 PM »
Fish filet knives are usually a 12 degree edge. That’s why they are so fragile but sharp as razor blades. GOOD, about $75 up, knives are usually 20 degrees and usually can be kept up with a steel.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Just got my knives back today from this guy. Pretty good information.

http://www.knifensharp.org/knife-and-tool-tips.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.