Author Topic: Tica Cetus SS500 vs Tica Cetus SS800  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Tica Cetus SS500 vs Tica Cetus SS800
« on: Nov 23, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Hi all.  If you remember a few days back, I was very determined to find the differences between the the Tica Cetus SS500 and the Tica Cetus SS800, particularly when it came to to weight disparity.  See to refresh:  https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=361351.msg3872281#msg3872281. I received both reels in the mail today.

I now know why the weight difference exists and I also owe an apology to winterbuddy for doubting his postulation.   In a nutshell, the SS500 is a very old design.  It is average weight for its 500 size, but it’s a very solid and well built reel.  The bail is exceptional and snaps closed effortlessly and with authority.  The SS500 has a full metal shell whereas the SS800 has a graphite body and rotor making a huge difference in weight. Imho, the SS500 is a tank and will last for years and years with moderate use.  It is also exceptionally smooth.

The SS800 on the other hand is exceptionally light for its size.  The bail is not as smooth as the SS500, but if you’re going super ultra lite, the Cetus SS800 is the way to go.   It would pair exceptionally well with super ultralight rods for panfish.  Don’t get me wrong also,  the Tica SS800 is on my short list now for UL jigging.  It is a very nice reel for the price.

If someone asks me, for the price, would you buy a Tica?  I would emphatically answer yes.

DN
The SS500 is on top and the SS800 below.

DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tica Cetus SS500 vs Tica Cetus 800
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:37 PM »
Thanks DN for taking the time to share that  info!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2018, 12:58 PM »
Some pics of the boxes for specs and next to one of my Symetres and Siennas for comparison.  The SS500 while dated design-wise and heavy, has the feel of a much pricier reel.  The bail is crisp and snaps over effortlessly.  It is also very smooth cranking.  It’s a bargain at anything in the mid $40s.  The SS800 is exceptionally light and has a solid aluminum bail wire to boot!  It is a steal at Amazon for $30.94 right now.  Again, the SS800 is the best reel I’ve run across weight-wise for ultralight rod applications at 5.3 oz. (They’re cheating a little with the weight @ 5.1 oz. unless my scale is off, and I don’t think it is.)  I’m hoping that the SS800’s bail and smoothness will improve as it breaks in.  That’s oftentimes the case.  Regardless, it’s a great reel for the price!

If I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask.

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2018, 05:22 PM »
Nice information.  Thanks.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:20 PM »
Thanks for thr info, Have you thrown them in a freezer yet to see how they move when frozen?

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2018, 12:25 PM »
I have my eyes on some Cetus reels right now. Particularly the SS800 and the SE500 since those are the two higher end Cetus available on Amazon for me. Anyone know the real difference between the 2 aside from the $17 price difference.

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Also Deal Ninja did the SS reels come with extra spools?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Also Deal Ninja did the SS reels come with extra spools?

The SS500 does comes with a spare spool, but it’s composite (plastic?) material.  The SS800 does not come with a spare spool.  After some additional research, I learned that the SE500 comes with a spare metal spool.  From what I can tell from the specs, it’s identical to the SS500 except for the exterior colors.  It may be the best value because of the real metal spool.  My next reel purchase will be one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/TICA-SE500-Cetus/dp/B0061NYJSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546282998&sr=8-1&keywords=Tica+se500

ETA:  If ultralight weight and spool capacity are paramount to you, buy the SS800.  For every other reason and feature that you can think of, buy one of the S(X)500 models.  Hope that helps.

DN

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:57 PM »
I was just looking for something to put on a 38" Tickle Stick I ordered on sale. Might even replace the Pflueger Trion on my TUCR Bullwhip. It tends to stiffen up out in the cold.

Also have been debating putting a One3 Descent on both rods as well.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tica Cetus SS500 vs Tica Cetus SS800
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Mine didn't pass the "freeze test" although most reels don't pass below zero

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2018, 04:02 PM »

Which reel are you referring to?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2018, 04:07 PM »
SS500 Cetus Trout Reel

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2018, 05:16 PM »

Curious what reels, if any, that have passed your “freeze test”?  I don’t know of any OTC reels that are lubricated with cold weather lubricants.  I couldn’t care less.  I fish inside a heated shelter 99.9% of the time, but most that use their spinners outside strip the OEM grease and replace with a cold weather lubricant like Hot Sauce and the like.

DN

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2018, 05:54 PM »
I'll set one of my ht accucasts outside and try it in an hour but I've never had issues with one that i can remember.  The freeze test for the cetus was actually fishing this past week with below zero temps. Well below zero again today so it'll be a good test. At the $20ish price range I was happy with the cetus due to the spare spool but couldn't see buying them at $50. For what it's worth the cetus did better than a shimano sienna when it came to ridiculous cold temps.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Well most won't be using these reels in -10 degree temps but smoothness at that temp I have the ht as nearly as smooth as room temp with the cetus second and shimano 3rd. Cetus is the smoothest at room temp

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:34 PM »
has anyone gotten their hands on the cetus "attack" 800sw. I haven't been able to find one.

fieds

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:52 PM »
has anyone gotten their hands on the cetus "attack" 800sw. I haven't been able to find one.

fieds

Interesting. Will have to look it up.

I just pulled the trigger on an SS800.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Interesting. Will have to look it up.

I just pulled the trigger on an SS800.

Congrats on the SS800.  You’ll like it.  Very nice little reel, especially if you put a premium on light weight.

I researched that Cetus Attack SS800SW yesterday.  Not available in the US that I can tell, and I think it’s actually made by a different company; Devil Craft.  If you find anything else, let me know.

DN

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Congrats on the SS800.  You’ll like it.  Very nice little reel, especially if you put a premium on light weight.

I researched that Cetus Attack SS800SW yesterday.  Not available in the US that I can tell, and I think it’s actually made by a different company; Devil Craft.  If you find anything else, let me know.

DN

I looked it up today too got the same results.

As for the SS800 I'm not overly concerned about the weight but the graphite frame will be less cold on my hands when hole hopping. If I like the reel I may order an SE500 for another rod.  >:(

It's my first venture into the Tica brand so I figured I would start mid pack.  :)

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Thats all i could find too, possibly not available or made by ticausa.

From the reviews some stateside have ordered it from devilcraft. Possible their the asian cabelas???

Anywhooo, just made a trip to christophersons bait in alexandria to purchase another 800. Sweet reels and pair well with JT golddiggers and shorter rouge. Going to get a jt walleye snare for the new one.

If anyone finds out more/gets one eager to hear the reviewa

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:33 PM »

Anywhooo, just made a trip to christophersons bait in alexandria to purchase another 800. Sweet reels and pair well with JT golddiggers and shorter rouge. Going to get a jt walleye snare for the new one.

Fieds. I'm curious, which 800 did you buy?

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2019, 10:48 PM »
another ss 800. they are just a quality reel for the money. 500's are too "tight" in the spool for me. The "attack" may be an Asian knockoff of an Asian reel but I've been a tica fan since the early 90's and thought they were pretty sharp.

I have a ten or twelve ball bearing libra 2500 with a foldable handle from the 90's that is still my reel; also a 3000; . At least a thousand walleyes have met their dimize to that reel. :whistle:

I've had 8 rods or so; glx, fenwick, scheels; but the libra goes to all of them,  phleuger patriarchs  are my second fav...

i'm moving away from mass produced ice rods and re-arming with JT's. (I have not used a thorn bros, tucr etc.. to give an o'pinion on the those rods because my eyeball didn't steer me towards them.) I picked up a jt and knew that's it, love them and ticas are going on them.

The attack looked sharp for my new light sabers but besides the exact looking cetus label on the spool, im not sure they're ticas. 

i don't, as in don't, amazon or mail order my recreation gear. must be the 100 times as a kid that my allowance went to some stupid gimick from the pages of outdoor life or dc comics ;Dcoulda swore sea monkeys were the next super bait.

anyway, if someone gets an attack....i'm re-gearing and will have 800's for sale....if i can part withem.

fieds

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:01 AM »
Fieds, good to know! I'm anxiously awaiting my SS800. I've always read nothing but good things about Ticas so I'm glad I finally ordered one after all the years.

I hear ya with the ice rods. First time I fished my TUCR Bullwhip I thought wow I need more! Have not seen a JT or Thorne Bros rod in person so can't comment on them. But these "custom" rods sure are nice!

Offline IceFishFreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:32 PM »
I personally have GV500 and a SS800.  I like the GV500 better simply from a bail spring aspect.  Unless i got two freak bad ones 3 years apart....the SS800's bail springs are WEAK.  I bought a couple more recently and returned them.  I like the weight and look and drag on the SS800, but i'm telling you,  that bail spring on it is suspect.  $40 for a real with weak bail springs right out of the package.  No way.  I was sold on Tica but now i'm not sure.  I just bought a Diawa Leguna 500,  i'll try it out. 

I can say 100% , a pflueger president is by far the WORST spinning reel of all time in the winter.  I have the anti reverse freeze and the reel free spools backward.  They are junk in the cold.

I just bought 2 of the Diawa Revros LT 1000 for my walleye rods,  so far they been out in some cold stuff,  0-10 degrees and i'm impressed.  That's why I went with the leguna for my new D&H perch pounder,  i'm hoping it works out well.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2019, 02:06 PM »
I personally have GV500 and a SS800.  I like the GV500 better simply from a bail spring aspect.  Unless i got two freak bad ones 3 years apart....the SS800's bail springs are WEAK.  I bought a couple more recently and returned them.  I like the weight and look and drag on the SS800, but i'm telling you,  that bail spring on it is suspect.  $40 for a real with weak bail springs right out of the package.  No way.  I was sold on Tica but now i'm not sure.  I just bought a Diawa Leguna 500,  i'll try it out. 

I can say 100% , a pflueger president is by far the WORST spinning reel of all time in the winter.  I have the anti reverse freeze and the reel free spools backward.  They are junk in the cold.

I just bought 2 of the Diawa Revros LT 1000 for my walleye rods,  so far they been out in some cold stuff,  0-10 degrees and i'm impressed.  That's why I went with the leguna for my new D&H perch pounder,  i'm hoping it works out well.

Yes, the bail is a weak spot on the SS800 as noted in my original and follow up posts.  It's not as smooth and effortless like the SS500 for sure.  Another reel that I've grown increasingly fond of in the $50 - $60 range is the new Daiwa Legalis LT.  I have watched and read nothing but rave reviews on this reel, and in fact, most of the reels in the new Daiwa LT (Light and Tough) line up.  The 1000 size checks in at 6.4 oz which is only .1 or .2 oz heavier than most 500 series reels!  This reel is definitely on my short list the next time I get itchy to spend some more $$ on a reel.  hahaha  I turned a newer member (603outdoorz) on to it and he seemed very pleased with the purchase when he received it.  If you have large hands or just prefer larger reels than the 500 size, for a very small increase in weight and price, you will get a much larger, smoother, more refined reel than the most of the 500 sized reels available today.  Fewer bearings than the Presidents, but Shimano's reputation has never suffered for lack of bearings...  I'll choose my Stradic Ci4+ reels with 6 bearings everyday over several that I own with more bearings.   

Please do a follow-up review on the Revros when you have some more hours on them.  Thanks!

DN 

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2019, 02:26 PM »
I recently repaired two newer ss500's my BIL was having issues with.  Both had a loose rotor nut.  Oddly, these newer Cetus reels were internally slightly different builds than I remember on earlier ss500's.  I had 8 of the ss500 about 10 years ago.  These were also problematic in that the rotor nut (part#13) continually came loose and required tightening.  The drags on mine also loped badly and the tiny diameter spools I felt caused excessive line coiling. 

Offline IceFishFreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Yes, the bail is a weak spot on the SS800 as noted in my original and follow up posts.  It's not as smooth and effortless like the SS500 for sure.  Another reel that I've grown increasingly fond of in the $50 - $60 range is the new Daiwa Legalis LT.  I have watched and read nothing but rave reviews on this reel, and in fact, most of the reels in the new Daiwa LT (Light and Tough) line up.  The 1000 size checks in at 6.4 oz which is only .1 or .2 oz heavier than most 500 series reels!  This reel is definitely on my short list the next time I get itchy to spend some more $$ on a reel.  hahaha  I turned a newer member (603outdoorz) on to it and he seemed very pleased with the purchase when he received it.  If you have large hands or just prefer larger reels than the 500 size, for a very small increase in weight and price, you will get a much larger, smoother, more refined reel than the most of the 500 sized reels available today.  Fewer bearings than the Presidents, but Shimano's reputation has never suffered for lack of bearings...  I'll choose my Stradic Ci4+ reels with 6 bearings everyday over several that I own with more bearings.   

Please do a follow-up review on the Revros when you have some more hours on them.  Thanks!

DN

I have 3 revros 2500 that I used all year open water and the regal an both in that $50-60 range and I was impressed.  That's why I decided to buy two revros 1000 for the ice walleye rods.  I will report back later. 

I suppose I could run all symetre or stradics but let's be honest, those are a little too pricey for me to justify those for ice fishing. 

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2019, 02:33 PM »
I suppose I could run all symetre or stradics but let's be honest, those are a little too pricey for me to justify those for ice fishing. 

I'm waiting for the Nasci 500's to go on sale for my next set of ice reels.

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:14 PM »
I've been fishing in some ridiculous cold and snowstorms and bow have 2 Ss800s and a friend has one now also and we haven't had one issue with any of them. They've been flawless.

Offline IceFishFreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:55 AM »
I've been fishing in some ridiculous cold and snowstorms and bow have 2 Ss800s and a friend has one now also and we haven't had one issue with any of them. They've been flawless.

Except for the hideous bail springs.  The tica GV500 bail spring is MUCH better.  It's cheaper but more reliable IMO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.