Author Topic: Tica Cetus 500/800 Specifications Confusing  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Tica Cetus 500/800 Specifications Confusing
« on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:02 AM »
Attached are the specs from Tica for their Cetus series reels.  Can anyone tell me why the 500 size reels are 6.3 ounces and the 800 size are 5.1 ounces, but the 800 size spool carries more line than the 500 size?  This doesn't make sense to me.  Assuming that the same Cetus 'SS' models would be assembled from the same components, the SS500 size should be the larger of the two reels @ 1.2 ounces heavier than the SS800 size, but that is apparently not the case here.  Can anyone who owns these reels comment and clear up the discrepancy?  1.2 ounces in reels this small isn't an insignificant amount either.

I've recommended these reels on a number of occasions as I know they are well utilized and liked by ice fisherman, but I never picked up on the size/weight discrepancy before.

http://www.ticaamerica.com/images/Reels/CETUS/CETUS%20SPEC.jpg

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Tica Cetus 500/800 Specifications Confusing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:05 PM »
I don't own these.  However just throwing this out there.  If both spools are of same size then then one with the higher capacity would mean that the spool was shaved deeper.  Less material now makes less weight.

Main gear material...brass vs die cast metal...huge weight difference.  Maybe it's there?
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:29 PM »
The ss800 is a completely different reel.  Looks like a much newer design, maybe to replace the older 500s?   The ss500 hasn't changed in 15years.  All the 500 models have been on closeout too.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:31 PM »
I don't own these.  However just throwing this out there.  If both spools are of same size then then one with the higher capacity would mean that the spool was shaved deeper.  Less material now makes less weight.

Main gear material...brass vs die cast metal...huge weight difference.  Maybe it's there?

I’ve ordered both reels from Amazon and will get them Friday.  I’ll report my findings soon after.  They will likely both be for sale afterward, but the whole situation with the specs really aggravates me.  Also had a very friendly, but unsatisfactory phone conversation with Tica USA’s customer support to push me over the edge.  LOL

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:36 PM »
I’ve ordered both reels from Amazon

The second picture for the ss800 listing on Amazon shows the ss500.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:37 PM »
The ss800 is a completely different reel.  Looks like a much newer design, maybe to replace the older 500s?   The ss500 hasn't changed in 15years.  All the 500 models have been on closeout too.

The SS800 is a completely different reel than the SS500?  Please indulge us and explain all of the differences.  “All the 500 models have been on closeout too.”  And you know this how?

DN

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:56 PM »
The second picture for the ss800 listing on Amazon shows the ss500.

We will see!  lol!  Have both coming Friday!  In the meantime, can you tell us why you think the SS500 and SS800 are completely different reels? 

DN

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2018, 08:04 PM »
The SS800 is a completely different reel than the SS500?  Please indulge us and explain all of the differences.  “All the 500 models have been on closeout too.”  And you know this how?

Explain all?   ???  How about a picture off the web.  See, physical differences.  Im just guessing, but Icefishingsdeals.com has had multiples of Tica postings at 30+% off, a few @50%.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2018, 08:10 PM »
There's a YouTube unboxing video from last year comparing it to other ice reels.

It's titled: Tica Cetus SS800 Ice Fishing Reel plus Random Comparison

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.