The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best ice fishing boots  (Read 6940 times)

Offline hayd243

• IceShanty Rookie
Best ice fishing boots
« on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:32 PM »
My feet are always cold. Trying to get away from the muck boot style. What's your go to? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best ice fishing boots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:32 PM »
I have some really warm Sorel-style boots.  They are warm, but when the slush is deep enough to go over the rubber portion of the boots, I get wet feet.

I have a pair of heavily insulated Baffin boots with rubber over the foot area and insulated nylon above.  They are warm, but when the slush is deep enough, I get wet feet.

I have a pair of White army surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots.  They are warm, and they are waterproof.  I can stand around in deep slush all day, and my feet stay warm and dry.  But when I walk in them, the tops of the boots dig viciously into the sides of my legs, to the point where I get big bruised lumps on my legs.  So for me they are not acceptable for ice fishing.

I have a pair of Cabelas heavily insulated winter muck boots. I bought them big enough to wear three pairs of socks under them.  They are warm, they are comfortable to walk in, and I can stand around in deep slush all day and my feet stay dry.  I use a boot jack to pull them off. I am totally happy with them.  If you ice fish on lakes which have much slush, well insulated muck boots are the way to go. 

If your feet are cold, I have several suggestions: (1) Buy several pairs of big thick fluffy socks.  (2) Invest in the best-insulated boots you can buy.  (3) Get the boots big enough to wear several pairs of socks underneath them, but still leave the boots comfortably loose.  If you buy boots on the internet and can't try them on, get them a couple sizes larger that the size of your street shoes. If the boots constrict your feet, they'll make your feet cold.  (4)  Assemble a collection of polypro underwear, pants, zip sweaters, and knit sweaters, breathable pants or bibs and a breathable parka which will go over them, and a couple really warm hats, which are enough to keep you warm all day even in temperatures well below zero F.  If you keep your body and head warm, your feet and hands will stay warm. (5)  Buy a padded floor mat at a hardware store or Home Depot and stand or sit with your feet on it. 

I have never used any of the air-activated heat packs in my boots, but I have a friend who has severe circulation issues in his hands and feet (Raynauds syndrome), and he uses them. He buys them by the case to keep the cost down.

If you fish on lakes which don't develop much slush, I'll sell you my Baffin boots or my Mickey Mouse boots.  PM me for details.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 03:33 PM »
I’ve not had cold feet since going to these. I added screw-in hobnails since they’re my full time ice boot.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Predator-Extreme-Pac-Boots-Brown/722130.uts
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline 777IHC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:32 PM »
Google Neos, I have a pair and I love them. They have lot of removable studs for traction and come with extras.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:41 PM »
In my earlier post I mentioned a friend who has Raynauds.  This is a circulatory problem in which the circulation in your hands and/or feet shuts down, and they get very white and cold, if they encounter even minor amounts of cold.  For example, if a person with Raynauds is in a normally heated room, and they touch a cool counter or pick up a cool canned beverage, their hands may get cold and white.  This is a pretty common problem. In normal indoor conditions, it is an inconvenience.  You will see people wearing gloves while working indoors because they have Raynauds.  But if you do outdoor sports such as kayaking, skiing, or ice fishing, having Raynauds greatly increases your risk of developing frostbite, and repeated exposure to cold can permanently damage the circulation in hands and feet.

Fortunately, Raynauds responds very well to several common and low-cost high blood pressure medications which dilate the blood vessels in your hands and feet, such as nifedipine.  People with high blood pressure may use these drugs continuously for many years with no problems.  People with Raynauds can take a pill half an hour before they go outside, and the drug will dilate the blood vessels in their hands and feet and keep them warm for many hours.  If you think you may have Raynauds, Google it, consult a doctor to confirm the diagnosis, and ask them to prescribe one of the drugs.  If one doesn't work well, try one of the other high blood pressure drugs.  For a person with Raynauds, using these drugs can permit them to function normally in cold conditions, often for the first time in many years.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Baffin Titans
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:47 PM »
If your going to wear muck boots you have to maintain your socks. Always wear good wool socks, and never put your boots on until you get to the lake and are ready to head out. If you sweat in your boots on the ride to the lake your feet will get cold almost inevitably. Alot of the times ill change my socks before I put my boots on to be sure they are dry for the day. Another option are the electric insoles. I know several people who have had good luck with them.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:50 PM »
I’m one of those lucky buggers navigating Raynaud’s. If not for hand warmers, ice fishing and waterfowling would be a no-go for me.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline DoctorHook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:52 PM »
Baffin Control Max.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:46 PM »
2 nd baffins boots -13 the other day and my feet were great i have the impacts make sure you use a boot drier makes a huge difference getting the sweat out of the boots
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Like already said.. Muck boots are great for keeping water out but do not breath so if you sweat, then sit they are cold.
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline RJFoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:28 PM »
i'll 2nd the not wearing the muck boots on the drive to the lake. also if you can keep your feet of the ice when you are jigging with a piece of carpet or plywood it makes a huge difference.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2017, 05:54 AM »
Lots of boot threads full of info in this section >>> https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=34.0

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:05 AM »
I have a pair of Baffin boots of a model which is no longer being made.  They are rubber up to ankle level, and insulated nylon above that.  They are very warm, and are terrific for use in dry snow and ice.  However, they aren't suitable for fishing in deep slush because the insulated nylon is not waterproof.  As I explained earlier, because I do a lot of ice fishing on lakes with deep snow and slush, I now use rubber muck-style boots for ice fishing, because they are 100 percent waterproof.

After reading reviews of the Baffin Titan boots, I have ordered a pair.  You can get them for under $100 if you do some Googling.  I am hoping that they will be even warmer than my Cabelas insulated muck boots.  I'll give you a report after I try them.  The deep snow and slush we currently have in western Montana after the big storm of December 28-30 will give them a good testing!

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:26 PM »
Has anybody tried the new Arctic Ice Muck Boots? They just came out this year and are supposed to be just like the Arctic Sports, but with a Vibram sole that has way better traction on the ice. I love my Arctic Sports for warmth, but they can be very slippery on bare ice or even with just a skiff of snow. I have Korkers cleats that I wear, but I would be interested in the Arctic Ice boots if that meant I didn't have to mess with the cleats....
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:06 PM »
i use sorels  rated for 100 below they are well insulated, water proof and almost to warm.they are a bit on the heavy side but i have gotten used to them.the insoles are 1.5 thick wool and felt.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline Riplips14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:31 AM »
I use 1600 gram lacross

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:07 AM »
another baffin fan! have bad leg circulation and tried many of the best brands but my feet have still got cold. baffins rock and are very well made. pricey but worth the money! can stand out in -20f all day and my feet stay warm. look for online canadian websites  and you can get a better deal with the exchange rate.

Offline hunting-bum

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish when I can't Hunt.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Baffin for me as well. Never had cold seen in my Baffins

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Bunny Boots (mickey mouse boots) from the Army/Navy Store for me.  Best/warmest boots I have ever used

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Has anybody tried the new Arctic Ice Muck Boots? They just came out this year and are supposed to be just like the Arctic Sports, but with a Vibram sole that has way better traction on the ice. I love my Arctic Sports for warmth, but they can be very slippery on bare ice or even with just a skiff of snow. I have Korkers cleats that I wear, but I would be interested in the Arctic Ice boots if that meant I didn't have to mess with the cleats....

The gf got me a pair for Xmas, used them this weekend and they were great. I put them on with liner socks and wools when we got on the ice... They weren't slick (I've never worn any other muck, so I can't compare) and I never had any trouble staying warm or sweating. Only had to pull the sled about 150 yards though, never broke a sweat. Totally comfortable on a 7 hour, 15* day in the hut. Suckers are rated to -60F!  :o

Offline Flathead Ice Hound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:42 PM »
My feet get cold very easy I bought Cabelas ice fishing boots last year and added stud screws on the souls these boots keep my feet much warmer.

Offline adirondackmtbob

• IceShanty Rookie
  • UP THEY GO !!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:51 PM »
Kamik "Goliath" with 13mm liners....none better.

Offline teamtigerstripe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Cabelas Inferno 2000... Extremely comfortable, Super warm and waterproof. Best boot for the money hands down.
Tiger Stripe

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:33 PM »
The gf got me a pair for Xmas, used them this weekend and they were great. I put them on with liner socks and wools when we got on the ice... They weren't slick (I've never worn any other muck, so I can't compare) and I never had any trouble staying warm or sweating. Only had to pull the sled about 150 yards though, never broke a sweat. Totally comfortable on a 7 hour, 15* day in the hut. Suckers are rated to -60F!  :o

I just picked up a pair to try - the calf band is pretty snug on my trunks but we'll see how they do on the ice. Hopefully this weekend.

Offline Zfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Baffins

Offline hayd243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys, went with the baffin selkirks. I'll let ya know how they turn out

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2018, 11:16 PM »
I ordered some Kamik Hunters. I have pretty good circulation so I'm not too concerned about warmth. Seems like a lot of rubber boots have questionable longevity. They were $40 on Amazon and have great reviews. I'm going to try experimenting with some 303 aerospace protectant to see if it helps the rubber from drying out.

Offline brkmsla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:25 PM »
Baffins all the way. Impact is rated for -148F and keep you warm even if you don't move all day. They are very soft on your feet, feels like one is wearing pillows. The down side is this model (Impact) does not provide allot of heel support so you wont be walking long distances in them.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:00 PM »
If your going to wear muck boots you have to maintain your socks. Always wear good wool socks, and never put your boots on until you get to the lake and are ready to head out. If you sweat in your boots on the ride to the lake your feet will get cold almost inevitably. Alot of the times ill change my socks before I put my boots on to be sure they are dry for the day. Another option are the electric insoles. I know several people who have had good luck with them.

Hello, I have been trying to rectify this issue for at least 5 years now. My old Sorel's "ice fisher" boots that are about 18 years old have finally started to crack. Not waterproof anymore but they are great for just cold days. The problem I have is my feet sweat easily. I've always put fresh socks on at the lake before putting on my boots. I've been trying and failing at finding the perfect replacement for my old Sorel's. I've tried multiple socks from wool to smart wool to blends of other materials (never cotton). I tried new Sorel's ( Not waterproof). Baffin titans (waterproof but WAY TOO warm) feet sweat really bad, then cold feet. Muck boots (waterproof but feet froze). Irish setter ( feet froze) Rocky (feet froze) .
So my hunt for the perfect waterproof to insulated boot continues .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.