The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best ice fishing boots  (Read 6939 times)

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best ice fishing boots
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:39 PM »

Hello, I have been trying to rectify this issue for at least 5 years now. My old Sorel's "ice fisher" boots that are about 18 years old have finally started to crack. Not waterproof anymore but they are great for just cold days. The problem I have is my feet sweat easily. I've always put fresh socks on at the lake before putting on my boots. I've been trying and failing at finding the perfect replacement for my old Sorel's. I've tried multiple socks from wool to smart wool to blends of other materials (never cotton). I tried new Sorel's ( Not waterproof). Baffin titans (waterproof but WAY TOO warm) feet sweat really bad, then cold feet. Muck boots (waterproof but feet froze). Irish setter ( feet froze) Rocky (feet froze) .
So my hunt for the perfect waterproof to insulated boot continues .

I would go with some sort of pack boot with removable wool liners. Combined with a wool sock it should wick the sweat pretty good. Whites and kennetrek make a good looking set of packs. The lower portion would be waterproof rubber and you would have to treat the seams and upper leather with a good grease, I'd recommend Huberds.

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:34 PM »
I treat my leather boots with Obenauf's LP. Seems to do the job. Spent all day in the slush and kept dry as a bone.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:32 PM »
I would go with some sort of pack boot with removable wool liners. Combined with a wool sock it should wick the sweat pretty good. Whites and kennetrek make a good looking set of packs. The lower portion would be waterproof rubber and you would have to treat the seams and upper leather with a good grease, I'd recommend Huberds.
thanks and yes on the liners

Offline RBC785

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:04 PM »
New to ice fishing but got a pair of bunny boots they weigh a lot but my feet are never cold!

Offline IceAce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Those felt insoles help a ton as well. They are about a half inch thick and have some sort of heat reflective material. I wear them in my sorrels and it really helps

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:42 PM »
I use a pair of Irish Setter leather boots with 600 grams of thinsulate and oil them regularly. I have never had cold or wet feet fishing Seely, Upsata of Georgetown where we typically get a lot of slush.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:07 PM »
For ice fishing I haven't necessarily looked for just one brand or grams of thinsulate.  Usually I look for rubber over the ankles, for slush and water on the ice.  The next thing I look at is how thick the soles are.  The farther away from the ice your feet are the better.  The boots I found for my wife were a 30 dollar knock off brand, but the soles were almost 4 inches thick, she complains about the cold more than anybody, but now it's never her feet at least.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.