Author Topic: Clam jigs  (Read 1955 times)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Clam jigs
« on: Dec 25, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Picked up a bunch of clam jigs when gander went out of business went to try one on today and realised I had to clean the eye out. Seems like clam is the only company that sells tungsten jigs that have paint filled eyes? I know it's kind of a silly complaint but they are getting like $4 a jig

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Clam jigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2017, 03:01 PM »
Be it clam or anyone else I won’t buy a jig that has paint in the eye ! That tells me mass produced, and too lazy to clean them. My time is worth something, now if they were $.50 each or thereabouts I might change my mind !!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2017, 03:07 PM »
yeah that's a peeve of mine too..i also don't buy jigs that are not ready to fish.its annoying to have to clean the jig eyes out to fish them.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Four of my six duckbill jigs from them were the same.

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish all four seasons........ice time da best time
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2017, 03:36 PM »
Yes....this is very annoying...can't stand it...and its a pain in the butt to clean em
"You wanna know how I got these scars......." The Joker

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2017, 03:41 PM »
Yes....this is very annoying...can't stand it...and its a pain in the butt to clean em
.     Especially if u buy at a bait store on the way to lake , pain in the a**

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Picked up a bunch of clam jigs when gander went out of business went to try one on today and realised I had to clean the eye out. Seems like clam is the only company that sells tungsten jigs that have paint filled eyes? I know it's kind of a silly complaint but they are getting like $4 a jig
  suck it up and clean it out I know what I got mine for on the going out of bus. sale

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2017, 05:30 PM »
  suck it up and clean it out I know what I got mine for on the going out of bus. sale
.       If bought for cheap cheap I’ll deal with it , not paying $3 or more and have to clean up their mess !!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Yeah, Clam’s tungsten jigs are crazy overpriced and kind of gaudy, IMO. I’m not saying the fish will care but I sure do. Then there’s the clogged hook eye.... I don’t know, most of Clam’s products don’t look very appealing to me mostly due to what they want to charge you. I’ve seen some tungsten Clam jigs push $6 a piece and that is just silly business. However, if I could find them under $2.50-$3.00, I wouldn’t mind giving them a shot but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline floatafly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2017, 08:48 PM »
Also using a eye buster tends to chip the paint off toward the body of the jig. Not to happy when paying premium for these

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2017, 09:02 PM »
That is about the most petty thing I've ever read.  Really?  A little bit of paint ruins your day?  Use a hook and poke it through, done and over with...  Good grief.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2017, 09:11 PM »
That is about the most petty thing I've ever read.  Really?  A little bit of paint ruins your day?  Use a hook and poke it through, done and over with...  Good grief.
That's what I do, Hammer; I keep a hook or an old jig I'm never going to use and poke out the paint in a few seconds.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2017, 01:13 AM »
They are the most expensive and possibly the only company selling tungsten with paint in the eye that's why I pointed it. Day ruined no but definitely not getting your money worth if paying full price

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2017, 01:25 AM »
I just poke it with the point of a hook and it isn't a big deal.

Sure, they shouldn't be manufactured with clogged eyes, but I don't let it ruin my life, or my day.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2017, 01:33 AM »

When I’m expected to pay $3-$5+ for a 4 gram tungsten jig, I expect quality in return. Especially considering that product IS out there... no excuses in today’s market, IMO. “A little bit of paint” means the difference of me buying that jig or not. If you have time for that crap, that’s great. I like to fish rather than tend to inferior tackle. So, I buy tackle that isn’t a hassle and I don’t buy tackle that is. To me, a clogged hook eye is a hassle that just isn’t necessary. If it’s a .30¢ lead jig, yeah, I’ll clean it up. But, I’m not buying those and neither are most guys that primarily use tungsten.

More reasons why I just buy Fiskas.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2017, 02:05 AM »
At least Clam's glow red is actually red and glows red (I've seen Lindy tungsten toads with paint inconsistencies). Clams are very bright and last a good length of time.

For Clams, a few seconds to clear out the eye with a hook is worth the superior paint job. I have yet to find a better glow red tungsten jig.

Agree with others, Fiskas are great quality -- but I find their glow paint is lacking.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2017, 10:31 AM »
Look at the bright side the Clam jig rack is never empty.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2017, 11:03 AM »
Clam has the only jig where I've bused the hook off trying to clean it out.  2 out of 5.  will not buy another one.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2017, 10:44 PM »
I hate that paint in the hook eye, I also got some GM close-out ones and had to go through and clean every one. I also found their paint to chip fairly easy. I have a Clam dingle drop that I fished off the kayak over the summer, it is missing atleast half the paint aleady.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2017, 11:04 PM »
I don't buy Clam jigs because of that and their crazy prices, I'm not going to pay for their name, when other companies make similar jigs for less.

Offline stukontheice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2017, 11:11 PM »
I have never bought clam jigs, but I hate paint over the eyelet. I use an other hook to clean it out its just the norm for the hooks I buy. And yes it would ruin my day if I end up with a hook in my finger trying to clean out an other.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2017, 05:21 AM »
Yeah it's nice when you buy a new jig, take it out of your box and cant even tie it on. Take a hook point to the eye and bloop - huge paint chip flies off.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2017, 05:48 AM »
Has anyone thought of looking over your tackle while sitting in front of the tv? I inspect ALL new tackle I buy. I can't believe the laziness (I wanted to use another word there) of people today. Whiners? Maybe that's the nicer word I'm looking for.  While I do agree that sporting goods are getting priced higher then the moon, how much more would that lure be priced if they (Clam or the manufacturers) cleaned them out for you? Just don't buy the overpriced stuff and they will go away.

I guess I never seen it as a big deal, or a deal breaker. $10 crankbaits... now THATS a deal breaker. Wont buy them. If i tie on a $10 lure, all I'll think about is getting it snagged and losing it. Then I won't fish it the way it needs to be fished. If it had paint in the eye, it wouldn't matter. Wouldn't buy it anyway.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:01 AM »
Has anyone thought of looking over your tackle while sitting in front of the tv? I inspect ALL new tackle I buy. I can't believe the laziness (I wanted to use another word there) of people today. Whiners? Maybe that's the nicer word I'm looking for.  While I do agree that sporting goods are getting priced higher then the moon, how much more would that lure be priced if they (Clam or the manufacturers) cleaned them out for you? Just don't buy the overpriced stuff and they will go away.

I guess I never seen it as a big deal, or a deal breaker. $10 crankbaits... now THATS a deal breaker. Wont buy them. If i tie on a $10 lure, all I'll think about is getting it snagged and losing it. Then I won't fish it the way it needs to be fished. If it had paint in the eye, it wouldn't matter. Wouldn't buy it anyway.
.          I have yet to see a $10 lure with paint in the eye, face it your tackle box is full of clam lures, and u spend half the winter cleaning them out!! By the way I prolly did more work by accident than u have done on purpose !!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:44 AM »

You don't seem to understand. Part of the issue is that when you clean the eye, the paint likes to flake off other parts of the jig as well...

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:53 AM »
.          I have yet to see a $10 lure with paint in the eye, face it your tackle box is full of clam lures, and u spend half the winter cleaning them out!! By the way I prolly did more work by accident than u have done on purpose !!

Yea? But masturbating does not count as work.!
First, the $10 dollar crakbait was an example. And they don't paint cranks.

Second, I was not talking to you.... or about you. It was a general statement about our lazy a** society. You do have a good ability to exaggerate.  Half a  winter to clean out hooks? Come on.

I didn't start with the personal attacks. You did. Now before this gets out of hand, GET OFF MY BACK, and don't start with the crap.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:56 AM »
You don't seem to understand. Part of the issue is that when you clean the eye, the paint likes to flake off other parts of the jig as well...

I understand about the paint flaking. I come up with a solution.  Use fingernail clippers and lightly make a revolution below the hook eye. It makes a score line and the paint won't chip off the jig head. Takes me 30 seconds per lure.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:51 AM »
I will leave those jigs right on the shelf in the store for you guys that like to clear the hook eyes out.im not buying them.pretty simple solution for me.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07:52 AM »
I got a whole pile of the clam jigs for Christmas and not a one has paint in the eye hole. Most of them are red glow and I'm excited to use them this year. I read up on them and it said red glow is the go to. After we get good ice I'll report on how they worked.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2017, 10:34 AM »
Wa wa

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.