Author Topic: Anyone use interlocking foam mats for hole covers?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline RussC

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone use interlocking foam mats for hole covers?
« on: Nov 06, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has used the interlocking foam mats to cover their holes? I was thinking of cutting them up to cover 8" holes to hopefully keep them ice free.

Thank you for all replies.
Russ

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: Anyone use interlocking foam mats for hole covers?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2017, 07:51 PM »
I bought one of those camping closed cell foam mats that you sleep on. Cut into 3 pieces works great for 3 tip ups, a lot cheaper cost. Just cut a slit in it to the middle for the tip up to slide into.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Put them in the warm house and put some weight on them so they loose the memory to curl up.  Paint them black for the solar effect.
Thread killer

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Nope. Why?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has used the interlocking foam mats to cover their holes? I was thinking of cutting them up to cover 8" holes to hopefully keep them ice free.

Thank you for all replies.
Russ

Yes, they work as good as store bought and you can get a couple from each 2x2 square.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline RussC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2017, 03:36 PM »
Thanks Fishinnut that was what I planned to do. And I must say a much better answer than Nope. Why?

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2017, 05:13 PM »
At the end of last season I bought a package of 4 at Harbor Freight.  Like $10.  Have not opened them yet, but plan to place under feet in my flipover this year, might only use 3 of the 4. Will see.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2017, 05:18 PM »
Thanks Fishinnut that was what I planned to do. And I must say a much better answer than Nope. Why?

Been thru this dozens of times, not a new thread. Costs too much and take up too much space. You can get great performance from a repurposed item that takes up almost zero space. I've championed for years yet I have to find even one person to try, much less call me wrong based on their actual experience.

No disrespect to you personally intended. Just makes me a little crazy sometimes. Good luck and happy hole covering with the product of your choice.

Offline RussC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2017, 06:02 PM »
Been thru this dozens of times, not a new thread. Costs too much and take up too much space. You can get great performance from a repurposed item that takes up almost zero space. I've championed for years yet I have to find even one person to try, much less call me wrong based on their actual experience.

No disrespect to you personally intended. Just makes me a little crazy sometimes. Good luck and happy hole covering with the product of your choice.

Ok so you have been through this dozens of times. You have over 2000 posts, probably ice fishing for years. I on the other hand have 75 posts. I would be considered a rookie at ice fishing. It may not be new to you but there are a few people that it is new for. I am just trying to learn and gain some insight from those that would like to share their own experiences. If it is something that you don't want to see or talk about why respond in the first place? No disrespect to you personally.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2017, 06:12 PM »
I do use the commercial hole covers ...they work great ...upon setting the hook...remove the pad  kneel or stand on it..wind will take them for sure . If the mats are made of a similar material they should work just  fine.Good luck with your choice .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2017, 06:20 PM »
They sell the hole covers here for $3.99 each...pretty good price.
https://finickyfooler.com/products/ice-hole-cover
https://finickyfooler.com/products/ice-hole-cover
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Ok so you have been through this dozens of times. You have over 2000 posts, probably ice fishing for years. I on the other hand have 75 posts. I would be considered a rookie at ice fishing. It may not be new to you but there are a few people that it is new for. I am just trying to learn and gain some insight from those that would like to share their own experiences. If it is something that you don't want to see or talk about why respond in the first place? No disrespect to you personally.

OK. Throw you a bone (https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=345134.msg3681448#msg3681448). Search function here is good and goes a long ways(for all kinds of things). Not trying to be a jerk  but a site that has been in existence as long as this one has been has churned about every topic imaginable to mankind a zillion times. There is a ton (wait, mega crap ton) of great info here along with great folks. They're not all like me.... :whistle:

So, that said, is there something new under the sun? Possibly but most often it's but a variation on a theme that could be easily imagined by anyone with, well, an imagination. Honestly, if you actually put this into practice you would be the first one since I've been here (what, 2010?) and that would be amazing. Maybe it doesn't work for you like it does for me. OK. I'll buy that. At least you tried it and gave it a fair shake. God knows no one else has.

My frustration, and resultant "bitterness" makes me really not care to the point where I can be "rude and probably condescending". Again, it's not you Russ, you just got in the line of fire. I should be more careful. That's really not me so accept my apologies.

I should have just kept it to myself..... <sigh>

Offline RussC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2017, 08:55 PM »
OK. Throw you a bone (https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=345134.msg3681448#msg3681448). Search function here is good and goes a long ways(for all kinds of things). Not trying to be a jerk  but a site that has been in existence as long as this one has been has churned about every topic imaginable to mankind a zillion times. There is a ton (wait, mega crap ton) of great info here along with great folks. They're not all like me.... :whistle:

So, that said, is there something new under the sun? Possibly but most often it's but a variation on a theme that could be easily imagined by anyone with, well, an imagination. Honestly, if you actually put this into practice you would be the first one since I've been here (what, 2010?) and that would be amazing. Maybe it doesn't work for you like it does for me. OK. I'll buy that. At least you tried it and gave it a fair shake. God knows no one else has.

My frustration, and resultant "bitterness" makes me really not care to the point where I can be "rude and probably condescending". Again, it's not you Russ, you just got in the line of fire. I should be more careful. That's really not me so accept my apologies.

You are right there are a lot of really great people on this site that want to help others. I hope that you have a great evening.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2017, 10:19 AM »
For what it's worth, I'm new here also and find the search algorithm to be functionally useless. Too many search results that have no bearing on the intended topic. Great information on the site, no question about that, just difficult to navigate.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2017, 10:25 AM »
For what it's worth, I'm new here also and find the search algorithm to be functionally useless. Too many search results that have no bearing on the intended topic. Great information on the site, no question about that, just difficult to navigate.

The SEARCH functions are wonky right now since the upgrade....I use to direct a lot of new members to those functions as the archived information on products... techniques..etc is priceless ..you could find countless replies on one specific topic/item as opposed to the several or so members on a new topic.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2017, 10:57 AM »
 I thought about making some and then thought... why reinvent the wheel. I bought 4 of the pre-made ones at Cabelas. I use them with my Windlass Tip-ups if the weather is getting too frigid or snowy for the holes to stay open. If it gets much colder, I abandon the Windlass Tip-ups for Thermal tip-ups that cover the hole and need no cover.
The interlocking foam mats have been used 1.) in my pop-up tent to cover more than half the floor at times 2.) under my feet in the flip-over and 3.) under my feet when outside w/o a tent. They DO keep your feet warmer.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2017, 11:37 AM »
I made a set of five for the tip ups. They work great but keep something on them my set of five is now down to four do to a very strong wind.

smitty :tipup:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2017, 06:08 PM »
@ Figure ate @ hardwater diehard:

That's odd because I used the search function to find the very link I left for Russ. Maybe it works differently for you guys. Just my experience, not an indictment... I just figured if it works for me...... No?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2017, 06:16 PM »
 anyone ever notice that on forums it seems like it's usually the same guy that complains about topics being rehashed is also the guy who complains about lack of action or traffic to a site?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2017, 07:52 PM »
Hmmm. I don't recall ever complaining about lack of action or traffic here....  As far as the re-hashing? Well, you tell me.

Not picking, just sayin'...

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:19 PM »
 sorry esox nothing personal, just a generalization that i've noticed on multiple forums.  i appreciate the new(old?) topics during the slow season but that will change soon.  it's game on here, i'll be icin tomorrow.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Nah. It's good all the way around. My wisea$$ comment was a trickle down from foolishness at work (that's what I'll call it and I'm stickin' to it). The other part is I think everyone thinks it's a screwball idea. I'm pretty sure no one has ever even tried it. It works so well for me and there's so many upsides..... Well, enough of that. Shoulda never let it out here. Can't call it back, gotta move on.

I guess I'm a different cat too in that I like to search out the answers from what is available (and there is a giant ton here!). On another forum for a different hobby anyone that asks a "common question" gets the "spoon-fed" label and an answer with LMGTFY. Tough love... :-*

Funny too. That's the first time in 7 years I've made a comment like that and I get nailed.  ;)2 That's the way it goes for me sometimes.

Hey! It was 8 degrees F here this morning!  :tipup:

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2017, 07:45 PM »
 haha work will do that, and i had a couple pops in me!  cheers man, hopefully you get ice soon.

and the mats work awesome but i have seen one or two disappear into the windy abyss.

Offline 49ford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2017, 07:48 PM »
OK. Throw you a bone (https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=345134.msg3681448#m hey would you mind posting a picksg3681448). Search function here is good and goes a long ways(for all kinds of things). Not trying to be a jerk  but a site that has been in existence as long as this one has been has churned about every topic imaginable to mankind a zillion times. There is a ton (wait, mega crap ton) of great info here along with great folks. They're not all like me.... :whistle:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2017, 08:33 PM »

Ice Fishing Hotline..... What's your question?  :unsure:

Offline 49ford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2017, 09:21 PM »
I was wondering if you had any pics......weird it posted blank

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Were you looking for the interlocking mats 49 or something else? I'm sure someone will chip in.

Offline 49ford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2017, 09:31 AM »
No sir, I'm liking your inner tube idea

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2017, 09:50 AM »

"Cost too much" is a relative term, just as is wealth, worth, want, need...the list could go on. It is all based on those 2 little words...personal preference. I am actually trying to make some myself and willing to spend whatever it takes to get what I need...it's all about the DIY for me  :thumbsup:

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2017, 11:31 AM »
No sir, I'm liking your inner tube idea

Sir..... you're a funny guy. reminds me of my 30 something sons' buddies. They still call me "Mr." Anyway, your wish....

That one is probably at least 12 years old. Starting to dry a bit hence the opening up at the bottom of the slit. Just a little thicker than a dime. Most of the time I'm over a 10" hole so those are 14". Probably be better at 16" but those ain't worn out yet. Even if I did that it really wouldn't take up any more space or add much by way of weight.

@ Iceassin: I'd never stand in the way of anyone's DIY. I do a pile of it myself, a pile...... Not because I'm cheap, I just think I can do some things better than what is offered retail. Cost is relative, I absolutely agree. I can pretty much buy what I want/need without hardly thinking but that wouldn't always be smart. I'm still a big value guy, I want full value for my dollars. We're back to DIY again  ;)2

My first covers were carpet samples from my flooring fishing pal. He swore by them. I swore at them. Forever freezing down, freezing wet needing to be dried out between uses, hooks constantly snagging the pile and took up modest space in the bucket (more when frozen). I listened to the "gotta insulate the hole" thing and "upgraded" to rubber backed stuff that tore and left pieces of backing when they froze down.

Then Rinehart came out with their thermal tipup with a built in hole cover. Simply a piece if flexible rubber that folded over the whole tipup when not it use, all self-contained. We called 'em taco tipups. I had one but the trip mechanism was, I'll say, "not great" but I liked the idea. The first tube I saw on the highway after that I picked up and the rest was history for me.

The upside: They really don't ever freeze down, nothing gets snagged, they dry in about 2 minutes, take up almost zero space, light weight and they are great solar collectors. By collectors I mean on a full sun day with temps in the low teens water still puddles on top of the cover. That heat gets transmitted to the environment under the cover so my holes stay amazingly clear.

The downside: Everyone thinks I'm a crackpot, cheap or stupid (that's OK, I'm used to it  @)), Sometimes the wind gets under 'em and they flip up or blow off. Not very often and if they go it's never very far. At least not so far or fast and old guy like me can't catch 'em easily. FWIW, anything foam really sails..... They don't keep holes open in single digits or subzero but I don't know anything that does. Still very little ice forms, it's kinda weird.

OK, you got me. I couldn't help myself again. <sigh> They're so effective and care free for nothing I say "Why not?" BTW, rubber roofing of a good thickness works also. The reason I like the semi tubes is because of their thickness. Car tubes are thinner/more floppy. I don't know if tractors have tubes but they might be thicker yet. I just measured mine for reference and got .065"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.