Author Topic: Anyone use interlocking foam mats for hole covers?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Anyone use interlocking foam mats for hole covers?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2017, 11:42 AM »
I used a cheap sleeping pad, $7.99 at walmart, to make hole covers. Easily enough material for at least ten covers.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 14, 2017, 03:11 PM »
I used the interlocking foam mats and they work great.  Another tip...Use the foil emergency blankets and cover the hole side.  Spray glue.  Traps the heat even better.  BTW they are not only useful for keeping the hole open, but also keep a beam of light from entering the water column.  Fish have to be able to see that.  Especially in shallow water.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 15, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Some of the older posts on this topic may be hard to find so it's not a bad idea to circle back from time to time and stir folk's imagination once more. You'll find references to guys cutting up plywood, hardboard siding, old mud flaps, old floor mats, inner tubes,  L-P records, Frisbees, and various foam sources to duplicate the commercial ones. It seems like if you're just sitting there staring at a hole in the ice at some point your mind is going to try to find something useful to think about like making some hole covers.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2017, 12:16 PM »
That is what I did, had some laying around from when the kids were younger. I got 2 covers out of one square. Made 4 total. Used another mat and cut in half to keep feet off ice.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2017, 12:30 PM »
here is my setup works for tip ups and for keeping boots of ice when in house. think I got like a dozen from amazon for about a dollar a square.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.