Author Topic: Anyone find a Vexilar FLX 28 on sale?  (Read 7779 times)

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone find a Vexilar FLX 28 on sale?
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:15 AM »
Looking to get a brand new Vexilar 28 since my Marcum showdown keeps blowing fuse and I'm not really a fan of it. Anyone seen any sales on them yet???

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Anyone find a Vexilar FLX 28 on sale?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:06 AM »
No sales on that unit.  Vexilar has the price locked with most retailers at 669.99....I was lucky and grabbed mine when it first came out for 589!

Chute82

« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:22 AM »
Vex' website has some reconditioned units

https://shop.vexilar.com/en/reconditioned-products-1

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:07 AM »
I got one from vex in their reconditioned units on their website.  The lady on the phone said most are store returns where a salesperson grabs a replacement battery, foam float or manual or something for a customer.  If you call them you can ask to get a unit that has not been on the water as far as they can tell.  Their pro staff sometimes takes them out and then they sell those too.

Mine had a box that was torn heavily and that's it.

They shipped it same day and it was $549
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:12 AM »
Sportsman's Guide had them on sale before Christmas for 20% off.  Off course you have to have the membership which I use year around ($40).  The Fl-28 propack came out to around $515-$520 if I recall.  Hard to find that deal now.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:49 AM »
I got mine from reeds on sale last year.its the pro pack for 560.iremember it was only a few bucks more than a fl20.i see the prices have went up.

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:53 AM »
I got mine from reeds on sale last year.its the pro pack for 560.iremember it was only a few bucks more than a fl20.i see the prices have went up.

Ya Reeds in Walker MN always has a great price on Ice Fishing gear! Give them a call and talk with Cory back in the fishing department. They sell an absolute ton of gear over the phone and most of the time the shipping is included. And NO I don't work for Reed's I just spend to much money there :o

https://www.reedssports.com

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:56 AM »
I have been jacked around a couple of times by Reeds and will never buy from then again.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Was just at Vexilar yesterday picking up an extra Genz Pack to do my Helix 5 Conversion.  The FLX28 Refurbed (Pro Pack) was $530

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:06 AM »
I have been jacked around a couple of times by Reeds and will never buy from then again.

Your the first I have heard of having a problem with Reeds. What happened?

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:14 AM »
I agree I would like to hear.  I've purchased direct from Reeds and off of Amazon with them as the fulfiller and they have always been great to me

Offline borg0196

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:49 AM »
I would agree with the reconditioned or give reeds a call. I know they just ran a 20% off deal that ended on Tuesday. I got a new camera and some supplies from them. I have gotten a lot of good deals from them and they know what they are doing.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:51 AM »
I'd also keep an eye on Amazon and Dicks.  Sometimes Dick's runs a 20 or 25% off promotion and i think it applies to Vex as well. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Cool thanks guy!! I thought about the reconditioned unit but if it's a $100 difference I might just get a brand new one. With my luck I'll get the reconditioned one and it'll take a poop shortly after. Haha. I'll check everything out you guys talked about and go from there. I really do appreciate the fast responses.. I hope everyone catches a lot of fish this year :).

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Just so you know, the reconditioned units have the same warranty as a new one.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Vexilar has great customer service ..if a recondition unit fits in your price range and save some cash I wouldn't hesitate . Probably get a good battery as opposed to a unit that may have been on a shelf/warehouse for a season or two.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Just so you know, the reconditioned units have the same warranty as a new one.

Yup, i just found that out from Vexilar lol. I don't know that Manventureoutpost.com has the propack for $571 so an extra $40 it's definitely a brand knew one and no dings or dents for sure.. but their only customer service is through email which is annoying.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Vexilar has great customer service ..if a recondition unit fits in your price range and save some cash I wouldn't hesitate . Probably get a good battery as opposed to a unit that may have been on a shelf/warehouse for a season or two.

Valid point... Haha. It's a lot of money and I guess I'm just hesitant becausr the Marcum I bought took a shot after a handful of uses and the thing looks brand knew.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Have my FL18 since 2003 ....not sure how long a FLX28 will last ...but think longer then your Marcum...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:48 AM »
I've had my FL18 since '04... reading through here I started looking at the refurbs, seem like a pretty good deal and if they have the warranty it seems even better. May have to pick up a refurb 28 "for the wife" ;)
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:55 AM »
In my experience I would buy a reconditioned Vexilar and plan on it being more reliable than a new any other brand piece of equipment.

There is a known FLX28 Screen Freeze issue they are addressing  http://www.vexilar.com/pages/flx-28

An FL20 or FL22 (max 60ft deep) are great units and about $100 cheaper even.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:56 AM »
In my experience I would buy a reconditioned Vexilar and plan on it being more reliable than a new any other brand piece of equipment.

There is a known FLX28 Screen Freeze issue they are addressing  http://www.vexilar.com/pages/flx-28

An FL20 or FL22 (max 60ft deep) are great units and about $100 cheaper even.
How would they fix the screen issue? Can you hook it up and load in new software?

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Valid point... Haha. It's a lot of money and I guess I'm just hesitant becausr the Marcum I bought took a shot after a handful of uses and the thing looks brand knew.

If you do go with the Vex FLX28 I would suggest the trip-beam transducer and you will love it! Vexilar=Bullet Proof! IMHO

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:01 PM »
If you do go with the Vex FLX28 I would suggest the trip-beam transducer and you will love it! Vexilar=Bullet Proof! IMHO
if you fish 15 ft or deeper the proview ducer they come with will work fine..and still bulletproof!haha

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:17 PM »
What's the difference between the 2 transducers?

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:19 PM »
How would they fix the screen issue? Can you hook it up and load in new software?
Yes, you send it to Vexilar and they reprogram it. Once reprogrammed they put a sharpie dot next to the serial number..so if your unit has a sharpie dot...its been fixed.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:32 PM »
basically they are the same except the proview widens the cone angle with the gain knob and the tri beam has a switch to switch angles from 20/wide,12 narrower,9 narrow cone angles.proview is pretty powerful and a few guys don't like them if you fish shallow water 10 ft or less.i however have no problems with either ducer.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:43 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.