Author Topic: Anyone find a Vexilar FLX 28 on sale?  (Read 7780 times)

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone find a Vexilar FLX 28 on sale?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:00 PM »
I've had my FL18 since '04... reading through here I started looking at the refurbs, seem like a pretty good deal and if they have the warranty it seems even better. May have to pick up a refurb 28 "for the wife" ;)

Or just sell me your FL18 at a good price  ;D  I have over 20 years on my FL-8 (yes... even before the brushless motors!). It continues to work great by my 7 year is starting to get the hang of reading them and thought it would be a cool thing to pass down the line since my dad bought it for me when I was 15.... That and I really like the features of the 18!

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:23 PM »

Thanks!! Very helpful!! I ended up getting a Reconditioned Vexilar FLX 28 from Vexilar just now but now the problem of twittling my thumbs and waiting kicks in haha.

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Thanks!! Very helpful!! I ended up getting a Reconditioned Vexilar FLX 28 from Vexilar just now but now the problem of twittling my thumbs and waiting kicks in haha.
Congrats!  They will have it in the mail today...I ordered mine at 3pm on a Thursday and got it 9am Friday morning!
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:35 PM »
Congrats!  They will have it in the mail today...I ordered mine at 3pm on a Thursday and got it 9am Friday morning!

Lucky guy!! Haha. It'll be a little longer wait for me I'm in NY. You bought a Reconditioned one as well?

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:44 PM »
I did get a reconditioned FLX28, couldn't see any issues other than a banged up box.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:24 PM »
Congrats! 

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2017, 02:52 PM »
In my experience I would buy a reconditioned Vexilar and plan on it being more reliable than a new any other brand piece of equipment.

There is a known FLX28 Screen Freeze issue they are addressing  http://www.vexilar.com/pages/flx-28

An FL20 or FL22 (max 60ft deep) are great units and about $100 cheaper even.

Screen Freeze issue was some of the units last year and has since been corrected. I would be very surprised if any of those would still be at the realtors. IMHO

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:42 PM »
Screen Freeze issue was some of the units last year and has since been corrected. I would be very surprised if any of those would still be at the realtors. IMHO

I ordered it straight through Vexilar and asked about it and the lady said software is up to date on the versions they ship out

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:23 AM »
Anyone know on average how long you'll get out of the battery for the Vexilar FLX 28?

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:57 AM »
I usually charge mine after every outing, but I know I had a three day stretch last season where I ran it roughly 20 - 22 hours without a recharge. Of course there are many factors that will play into battery performance, so every users experience is probably a little different.

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:31 AM »
Youll get a couple of days no problem

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:46 AM »
I usually charge mine after every outing, but I know I had a three day stretch last season where I ran it roughly 20 - 22 hours without a recharge. Of course there are many factors that will play into battery performance, so every users experience is probably a little different.
It is really important to recharge after every outing! Greatly extends the life of the battery. Also a good idea to charge it monthly during the off season. I actually keep the battery maintainer on it all year, but I also use my fl-18 for open water fishing as well. One other thing let the battery come up to room temperature before charging.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Recharging is key!

Also calculating battery draw is pretty easy.  I believe Vexilars draw only 200 mah.  So on a 7ah battery (7ah is 7,000 mah) you are left with say 5,400 mah (20% reserve)/200mah.

27 hours seems about right

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:33 PM »
It is really important to recharge after every outing! Greatly extends the life of the battery. Also a good idea to charge it monthly during the off season. I actually keep the battery maintainer on it all year, but I also use my fl-18 for open water fishing as well. One other thing let the battery come up to room temperature before charging.
Keep it safe! JDL

Not my first rodeo sir ;D I know to recharge after every outing. The 3 day stretch was a one time occurrence that won't be happening again. It goes on the charger once a month during the off season & is always at room temperature when put on the charger. Have a great season & play safe out there !!

Offline Cliodiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2017, 07:32 PM »
I bought mine from Sportsman guide for 557.00. this is a member's price. I think my yearly membership fee was 80. I do buy other things from them but regular price of 669 versus 557 it it all worth it.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:29 PM »
do you guys use your Vexilar for summer fishing?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:33 PM »
When we camp on the ice we take a spare marine battery and converter to keep the flx'same charged. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2017, 04:31 PM »
Not my first rodeo sir ;D I know to recharge after every outing. The 3 day stretch was a one time occurrence that won't be happening again. It goes on the charger once a month during the off season & is always at room temperature when put on the charger. Have a great season & play safe out there !!
Sorry I was not suggesting that it was your first anything. Was just saying that the fact that you charge it after every outing is a great way to take care of your battery. should not have stuck my nose into you post.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Just got mine today. Ordered right from Vexilar had it here in 3 days.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:03 PM »
Just got mine today. Ordered right from Vexilar had it here in 3 days.

I got mine today too!! I order mine last Thursday though but I can't use it until this weekend anyway. She's charged and ready to go though :). My buddy I'm going with bought a Hummingbird ice 45 and will be using it for the first time as well so we'll so who catches more fish haha.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:07 PM »
When we camp on the ice we take a spare marine battery and converter to keep the flx'same charged.

We do some winter camping as well except we camp in lean-tos in our tents. Hopefully it doesn't take to much of a toll on the battery over nights.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:34 AM »
I got mine today too!! I order mine last Thursday though but I can't use it until this weekend anyway. She's charged and ready to go though :). My buddy I'm going with bought a Hummingbird ice 45 and will be using it for the first time as well so we'll so who catches more fish haha.

That's like comparing a gun to a nuke.  Good luck with your new unit. 

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:38 AM »
That's like comparing a gun to a nuke.  Good luck with your new unit.

I hope you're right because even though we don't admit it between him and I there's definitely competition between us haha.

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:18 AM »
We do some winter camping as well except we camp in lean-tos in our tents. Hopefully it doesn't take to much of a toll on the battery over nights.

Read up on the modes and play with it.  It's a super flexible unit but needs some tweaking with the proview ducker to really shine.  Don't be discouraged at first. 

Take note of the color pallet you want to use.  Color #4 is full information with no computer filter so you will see absolutely everything that the sonar recognizes and can show too much. But on the same note, you see it all.  Colors 1,2,3,& 5 are computer regulated and filter out what it believes to be false signals.

Learn to use low power mode and how to activate low power mode in any zoom or weed mode.

Make sure it is displaying in feet not meters if that's you preference. (Changing that is a major pain in the arse, as you have to have a battery voltage below something like 11.4 volts to change the setting)

Good luck, enjoy the flasher, and outfish your buddy! (My wife got a flx28 last year and I was on a ice55, she started to outfish me in two weeks.  Now I have a flx28!)

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:28 AM »
Read up on the modes and play with it.  It's a super flexible unit but needs some tweaking with the proview ducker to really shine.  Don't be discouraged at first. 

Take note of the color pallet you want to use.  Color #4 is full information with no computer filter so you will see absolutely everything that the sonar recognizes and can show too much. But on the same note, you see it all.  Colors 1,2,3,& 5 are computer regulated and filter out what it believes to be false signals.

Learn to use low power mode and how to activate low power mode in any zoom or weed mode.

Make sure it is displaying in feet not meters if that's you preference. (Changing that is a major pain in the arse, as you have to have a battery voltage below something like 11.4 volts to change the setting)

Good luck, enjoy the flasher, and outfish your buddy! (My wife got a flx28 last year and I was on a ice55, she started to outfish me in two weeks.  Now I have a flx28!)

I just watched the video that came with it so I have an idea of what you're talking about. I'm bringing the manual for craps and giggles to read up on as well.

Haha yeah well I don't know how everyone else's luck is when fishing with a lady but when I got with one they always outfish the guy and they rarely fish and know barely anything about fishing which is annoying lol. I don't know if they are catching male fish and they are attracted to the women or what but when they start bragging you pretty much know the relationship is over haha.

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:34 AM »
I just watched the video that came with it so I have an idea of what you're talking about. I'm bringing the manual for ****s and giggles to read up on as well.

Haha yeah well I don't know how everyone else's luck is when fishing with a lady but when I got with one they always outfish the guy and they rarely fish and know barely anything about fishing which is annoying lol. I don't know if they are catching male fish and they are attracted to the women or what but when they start bragging you pretty much know the relationship is over haha.

My goal is to get my wife to ice as many fish as possible.   I also feed her as many beers as possible. 

This helps me out when we get home.  ;D

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:38 AM »
My goal is to get my wife to ice as many fish as possible.   I also feed her as many beers as possible. 

This helps me out when we get home.  ;D

Hahaha. 😂👍🎣

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #57 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:32 AM »
the only problem I have had with my flx28 was setting it to read feet instead of meters.its a timing thing where the voltage has to be perfect like right before the charger turns from red to green. turn unit to normal mode while holding the gain button down.lol.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Ok so I use my Vexilar yesterday and it worked great!! Today turned it on and worked fine for a couple hours then randomly went from reading the depth we were at 65ft to 6 ft and idk why. I turned it on and off, change the gain thinking my buddy's hummingbird was messing with it whixh it has the last couple days. Right now it's on normal, auto and gain 1. I've tried to change to zoom and stuff but still says 6 ft.. anyone with this issue?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:28 AM »
Ok so I use my Vexilar yesterday and it worked great!! Today turned it on and worked fine for a couple hours then randomly went from reading the depth we were at 65ft to 6 ft and idk why. I turned it on and off, change the gain thinking my buddy's hummingbird was messing with it whixh it has the last couple days. Right now it's on normal, auto and gain 1. I've tried to change to zoom and stuff but still says 6 ft.. anyone with this issue?

Only glitch I am familiar with

http://www.vexilar.com/pages/flx-28

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.