The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: THIS IS JUST A PIKE VIDEO .... NOT A DEBATE!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 15776 times)

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: THIS IS JUST A PIKE VIDEO NOT A DEBATE
« Reply #60 on: Feb 16, 2006, 08:00 AM »
nice link bluefin.    i don't see what the big deal is on the pike if you don't like them fish somewhere else there's plenty of water to fish with out pike 

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline TroutKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #61 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Bluefin, yes, I read the title of the post. I also, like billditrite, think you knew this would be the result when you posted it. I know you meant well, Bluefin, and I know you are passionate about the resource and the sport. I am also passionate, and I felt as though I needed to state my opinion, like all the others who replied to this and other pike posts.

Pikeguy. I can see we do agree that wasting the resource is a wrong. And no, I am not saying you are a violent person....I just didn't like the comment about fighting someone over the issue. If someone buys a fishing license, they are entitled to do whatever they want with the fish, so long as they are not breaking the law. I know we both think that is wrong. I don't think you are less of a fisherman because you got upset. I just don't think we should be fist-fighting each other over these types of issues. That only gives the antis more ammunition against us.

I am sorry to any and all I may have offended. Just thought we were free to say what was on our minds here.

TK

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:07 AM »
Bluefin, yes, I read the title of the post. I also, like billditrite, think you knew this would be the result when you posted it.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!  I actually  got the link for the video off the main page....Billditrite is a good friend and he was just "razzing me" .............sorry but I could care less to debate this subject with anyone!  I just want the stripers and sharks to come back soon and I'll be happy! 

PIKEGUY

« Reply #63 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:12 AM »

Pikeguy. I can see we do agree that wasting the resource is a wrong. And no, I am not saying you are a violent person....I just didn't like the comment about fighting someone over the issue. If someone buys a fishing license, they are entitled to do whatever they want with the fish, so long as they are not breaking the law. I know we both think that is wrong. I don't think you are less of a fisherman because you got upset.

TK

Well, the laws in Wisconsin are written so that wanton waste of fish is, in fact, illegal. I guess I didn't realize that it is not the case everywhere. I think it should be. To kill for no reason is not the way it is meant to be. I'm not some softhearted yuppie who feels bad for the fish or any of that crap, I just feel it is very morally and ethically wrong to take them from the water only to leave them on the ice.

Offline TroutKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #64 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:18 AM »
Sorry Pikeguy, I didn't realize you weren't from ME. My bad. I too believe it is morally and ethically wrong.

Bluefin, I know you and billditrite are good friends and I know he was "razzing" you. I just thought there was a little truth to it. I am sorry you were offended. I will keep my nose out of this topic from here on out. Like you, I will anxiously await the arrival of the stripers.

TK

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:30 AM »
why is it just pike that seems to makes guy's mad? bass are not native and they're everywhere and they eat alot too,and can ruin a trout pond but nobody gets mad about them,.. no just the pike. i think i'm gonna do more pike fishing now ;D

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 16, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Sunday @ Sabattus, we landed about 14 pike.....6 of em got split up between me and the 2 other guys I was fishing with, they were between 3-5 lbs, we let another 1/2 a dozen back, biggest one was just over 6#, 29 1/2" and the smallest was about 2....The last two got eaten raw by family members as well....one's a 3 y/o dalmation/lab mix and the other was a  2 y/o rotti......I think they enjoyed eating em more than we did catching em...If the lab could've dug a hole in the ice, or had there been snow, I think he would've buried his like a bone for a later on snack.  LOL   Only had a chance to meet tcfish before everyone packed up and headed out, but I did notice that everyone had their fair share of flags.  Now whether or not THIS post causes an uproar for letting two dogs have one fish a piece, is yet to be seen... :whistle:

JK all....I believe that Sabattus is full of pike and, for those of us who fish it, should stay that way. Until I read Annie's post about "eating fish outta there all her life and not being dead yet",  the only thing I had ever eaten out of that lake was a 14" white perch when I was about 11....I"m glad I know different now, and thanks to this site.....BONELESS PIKE FILLETS are gonna become a regular meal at my place!!

Offline lakertaker1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • lakertaker
« Reply #67 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:35 PM »
listen pike are fun to catch  but in all reality they are a junk fish. they do nothing  good for the state of maine, they ruin cold water fisheries. because you get some wanna be sportsman who decides to become a biologist and stock them into coldwater lakes on his own. I guess some of them might be all right to eat, i mean i might eat one out of belgrade, but i will never eat a fish out of sabattus which use to have raw sewage and chicken poop dumped into it. If you drill a hole with your auger it takes about two weeks for it clear up and then you still cant see the bottom in a foot of water. Anothter thing is you get all these guys that throw the pike back into sabattus and all they are doing is screwing everything up, there is so many pike in that lake and they have nothing to eat, so keep thowing back all of the little ones and pray they might get big, but guess what they never will, there is no bait fish. so thats why they have to canabalize and eat there own. so when these guys take fish out of sabbattus they are not hurting it. they are only making the fishery better. as far as i go every pike i ever catch will die. by the rath of my hatchet they will be headed. maybe they should reclaim sabbattus and put brook trout in it. ;D
respectfully yours
laker
lakertaker

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:38 PM »
maybe they should reclaim sabbattus and put brook trout in it. ;D
respectfully yours
laker
10-16 inch brookies........sounds like fun ::) 

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:39 PM »
If you drill a hole with your auger it takes about two weeks for it clear up and then you still cant see the bottom
where are you fishing?  the water is clear as can be ???   

don't talk about stuff you know nothing about
O wait a sec.........you are from Lewiston.......that explains it!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #70 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:41 PM »
 ??? ??? I give up >:(

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #71 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:43 PM »
It's kind of like Sebago.  They want to kill all the togue and just catch salmon.  I know a hell of a lot more people in Maine and out who would rather catch 20-30 pound togue and 30-40 pound pike than 2 pound brookies and 4 pound salmon.

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #72 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:46 PM »
this thread hasn't given me a lick of info, but it sure has provided me with plenty of entertainment.

It would seem to me that any intentional disregard for any species not labeled a nusince would be illegal. I.E. throwing fish on the ice just for the sake of killing it. It certiantly is in the state of Michigan.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:47 PM »
this thread hasn't given me a lick of info, but it sure has provided me with plenty of .
it wasn't supposed to.....just a video link

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #74 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:48 PM »
yeah, it was a great video.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

hali-man

« Reply #75 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:50 PM »
You Mainuhs KILL me. I will return to this thread often...
Hey Bluefin- if you're really sick of this you can lock it.
But please don't!
 :woot:

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:51 PM »
While Sabattus has a bloom in the summer, it is usually pretty "clearish" in the winter, at least relative to any other shallow, warmwater lake.

I do get particles in the hole, cloudy when fishing shallows, but that is just stuff stirred up.

In terms of wanton waste - pike are still listed as an invasive species in most bodies, as are SMB in many bodies. While I am not huge on wanton waste, I think even if Maine HAD such a law, they would be excempt.

While I am unsure whether we would ever see LLS returned to their glory in Sebago, do a little research on the historic Sebago strain of LLS - they were pretty wicked, and pretty huge.

Beyond that, I am staying out of this one for a change!

Offline fryfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:52 PM »
laker I think you are going get teamed up on here so I am with you. Keep em' all.
Save our native fisheries.
there is nothing worse than trolling for salmon w/ 8 + colors out and you can't keep the bass of your line!
honey; I'm going fishing....

Offline lakertaker1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • lakertaker
« Reply #78 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:07 PM »
i'm not trying to be disrespectful to pike , i'm just saying
1. i wouldn't eat any out of sabbattus
2. sabattus is like sebago there are to many and need to be thinned out.
3. there fun to catch and provide great action
4. they will ruin a body of water as far as brook trout or salmon.
5. maybe the state should start to regulate pike and stock them in warm wwater ponds like they do in vermont.
no hard feeling luv you guys
laker

lakertaker

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #79 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Lakertaker Showin the love.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #80 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:18 PM »
I'm probably opening up a whole new can of worms here... but enlighten me. If pike are so hard on all of these other fish, how come the lakes I fish that are FULL of pike, also have healthy populations of nice sized crappie, perch, sunfish, and Bass along with the occasional walleye and bullhead. I personally think it's because trout are "Sallies" and can't take any pressure. They probably scare each other to death even when there are no pike.  I'm sure everyone went to school with some kid like that. lol

Offline slapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:18 PM »
Sure is a beauty out there today..huh ::)
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:22 PM »
I'm probably opening up a whole new can of worms here... but enlighten me. If pike are so hard on all of these other fish, how come the lakes I fish that are FULL of pike,

perfect example is Lake Champlain In VT

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #83 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:29 PM »
also have healthy populations of nice sized crappie, perch, sunfish, and Bass along with the occasional walleye and bullhead

If we wanted nice healthy populations of these fish there wouldnt be any problem...these types of fish play there own important roles...but how often do you see a real mainer posing with a "nice healthy" perch or sunfish??

If I really wanted to catch "nice healthy" perch, bass, crappie, sunfish...then I wouldnt be fishing in maine for them...and I wouldnt want to!

You have to realize that maine isnt wisconsin, or any other place for that matter...and 'most' people here have priorities that dont include catching these 'nice healthy fish' that you mention

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:34 PM »
 debating this is pointless. fact is, there here and there not leaving. like it or not they're still here to stay.       

PIKEGUY

« Reply #85 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:35 PM »
If we wanted nice healthy populations of these fish there wouldnt be any problem...these types of fish play there own important roles...but how often do you see a real mainer posing with a "nice healthy" perch or sunfish??

If I really wanted to catch "nice healthy" perch, bass, crappie, sunfish...then I wouldnt be fishing in maine for them...and I wouldnt want to!

You have to realize that maine isnt wisconsin, or any other place for that matter...and 'most' people here have priorities that dont include catching these 'nice healthy fish' that you mention

Soo...you are agreeing that trout are weiners?  ;D

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #86 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:35 PM »
Yeah.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline fryfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:49 PM »
I'm probably opening up a whole new can of worms here... but enlighten me. If pike are so hard on all of these other fish, how come the lakes I fish that are FULL of pike, also have healthy populations of nice sized crappie, perch, sunfish, and Bass along with the occasional walleye and bullhead. I personally think it's because trout are "Sallies" and can't take any pressure. They probably scare each other to death even when there are no pike.  I'm sure everyone went to school with some kid like that. lol
All the species you just listed except eyes are considered junk fish by almost every fisherman I know in maine.
I could go out tommorow and catch 100 plus perch and pickerel but I would rather spend my day trying to catch a couple nice LL or some brookies.
honey; I'm going fishing....

hali-man

« Reply #88 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:52 PM »
I could go out tommorow and catch 100 plus perch and pickerel but I would rather spend my day trying to catch a couple nice LL or some brookies.
Sounds kind of arrogant to me. Are you all fly-fishermen by chance?  :angel

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #89 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:56 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.