The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: THIS IS JUST A PIKE VIDEO .... NOT A DEBATE!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 15777 times)

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: NOW THIS IS HOW PIKE SHOULD BE TREATED
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:16 PM »
If you like them so much then go somewhere where they get REALLY big...

nice video...
it must be lonley in Orono  ::)
how big is big in your mind?  22 pounds?  25? 

ps. I never bashed anyone for hating Pike......I bashed em for killing them for no reason....you don't like them....GREAT!  don't fish for them then

just cause you fish em', doesn't mean you move them around either.....give it a rest

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:32 PM »
We need a mechanism to stop people from moving them around!!     
Agreed!  Anyone caught stocking pike has to troll for a day on Long Pond for salmon - now that's punishment  ;D  
In 10 years (or maybe sooner) the pike won't even be an issue though.  It'll be the musky's in St. John and the Allagash and Fish River Chain.  That'll be the next big thing.  To me, that's a HUGE problem that no one talks about.  We can thank our Canadian friends for stocking them right?

Offline weav11

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I did it all for the brookie, the brookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Agreed!  Anyone caught stocking pike has to troll for a day on Long Pond for salmon - now that's punishment  ;D  
In 10 years (or maybe sooner) the pike won't even be an issue though.  It'll be the musky's in St. John and the Allagash and Fish River Chain.  That'll be the next big thing.  To me, that's a HUGE problem that no one talks about.  We can thank our Canadian friends for stocking them right?
ooooooooooooooooooooooh Canada.....are home and native land.. how's the rest of the song go?
Mike - last year I fished the derby with Tom O from WTOS....we had a blast....we were set up off the scout camps on Great Pond.....do you fish that general area? it was kinda crowded w/ lots of shanties...probably too many people for your liking? 
Tippy Tundra 1 Weav 0

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:52 PM »
The world is changing as we speak, nothing stays the same. Who ever thought you would see two guys getting married, but thats another kettle of fish. I think Bass are terrible, they eat everything. I did like the video, but there must be something wrong with my speakers. I couldn't understand a thing they were saying. Must be somewhere west of Portland.  ???
Steve

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:53 PM »

I can remember back in the 70's Mike, that trolling for salmon on Long Pond was quite productive...'75 was when I saw my first pike..caught on the north end by the inlet from Great Pond...14#...they have been in there for a lot longer than we knew

hali-man

« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2006, 04:07 PM »
I thought it was a great video and could also be a tutorial for Icefishing C&R.
You guys in Maine will eventually learn that pike don't go away...
They're fun- What's wrong with that?

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2006, 04:10 PM »
ooooooooooooooooooooooh Canada.....are home and native land.. how's the rest of the song go?
Mike - last year I fished the derby with Tom O from WTOS....we had a blast....we were set up off the scout camps on Great Pond.....do you fish that general area? it was kinda crowded w/ lots of shanties...probably too many people for your liking? 

I fish there - sometimes with Maine Outdoorsman.  Great Spot, but you are right.  It does get crowded on derby day.  BUT, there are good fish there.  A guy I know got a nice big brownie out toward the mouth of that bay last weekend.  Are you fishing the derby next weekend?  PM me with your cell # and we'll chat throughout the day.

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2006, 04:17 PM »
I can remember back in the 70's Mike, that trolling for salmon on Long Pond was quite productive...'75 was when I saw my first pike..caught on the north end by the inlet from Great Pond...14#...they have been in there for a lot longer than we knew

I lived on Long Pond from 1992 - 1995.  My wife and I would troll the crap out of that lake and catch salmon every time out.  Back then we didn't have electronics or anything.  Just a couple of fly rods and a bucket of smelts or some streamer flies.  It was awesome, but it was also the end of an era.  Lot's of people know me as a pike guy, but I LOVE to catch salmon too.  I miss that fishery very much. 

I agree that the pike have been there for a lot longer than people realize.  I've said it over and over, I still think the collapse of smelts and intro of alewives has more to do with the lack of salmon than the pike.  The pike were there during the absolute hey-day of salmon fishing on long pond. 

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2006, 04:45 PM »
I thought it was a great video and could also be a tutorial for Icefishing C&R.
You guys in Maine will eventually learn that pike don't go away...
They're fun- What's wrong with that?
you're OK for a New Yorker

PIKEGUY

« Reply #39 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:25 AM »

I agree that the pike have been there for a lot longer than people realize.  I've said it over and over, I still think the collapse of smelts and intro of alewives has more to do with the lack of salmon than the pike.  The pike were there during the absolute hey-day of salmon fishing on long pond. 

Glad some people understand things or at least give different theories a chance :clap: :bow:

Offline Maine outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:01 AM »
My concern with Pike is not for the Belgrades or Sabattus .  They are there and we can do little to remove them.  The issue is these fish being moved to other lakes containing salmonids. What can we do to remove the incentive to do this?  Say someone in the Island Falls area sees the photos of big pike from the Belgrades and would like to catch one.  He decides to go down to Belgrade and fish for them and illegally stock them in Pleasant Lake so that he can catch them near home. This is no big task since Pike can live quite well in a cooler or livewell.  There goes the salmon and smelt in Pleasant Lake!!!  If a law were passed to make it illegal to fish for (and possess) any pike in any waterbody that is illegally stocked from now on, this might deter anyone from trying this.  How many of you would be in favor of this legislation?

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:49 AM »
If a law were passed to make it illegal to fish for (and possess) any pike in any waterbody that is illegally stocked from now on, this might deter anyone from trying this.  How many of you would be in favor of this legislation?
I don't think that would help......The idiots that bucket stock will continue to do so regardless......They are allready breaking the law now!  Another law wouldn't do a thing (just my measly opinion)

PIKEGUY

« Reply #42 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:59 AM »
Not fishing for Pike in those lakes is going to help how? ???

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #43 on: Feb 14, 2006, 12:41 PM »
and what will become of these lakes where they are already with noone fishing them wont it create a stunted lake with many fish and not enough food? will there be a stronger natural instinct for these fish to out migrate from these ponds because they are overcrowded?i think the only legislation that could help would be stiffer fines and penalties for those who get caught. as the skippah already pointed out these people are already breaking numerous laws i dont think it bothers them!!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #44 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:03 PM »
and what will become of these lakes where they are already with noone fishing them wont it create a stunted lake with many fish and not enough food? will there be a stronger natural instinct for these fish to out migrate from these ponds because they are overcrowded?i think the only legislation that could help would be stiffer fines and penalties for those who get caught. as the skippah already pointed out these people are already breaking numerous laws i dont think it bothers them!!

EXACTLY my point :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:06 PM »
all I wanted to do is share this video......and looked what happened ::)

hali-man

« Reply #46 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:10 PM »
Oh come on, man, you knew it would...
All ya have to do is say the P-word over there and all hell breaks loose!  ;D

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #47 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:11 PM »
It was due. At least once a season the disscussion comes up.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #48 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:18 PM »
i was trhinking more like once a week. but its a good topic , one that needs to be discussed. skippah as if you didnt know when you posted that this would revert to another northen pike discussion. you old potstirrer you!! :) ::)

PIKEGUY

Re: THIS IS JUST A PIKE VIDEO NOT A DEBATE
« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:26 PM »
 :pinch: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle:

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2006, 02:19 PM »
WARNING:  MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION ABOUT PIKE!    ;D

I like the new title... ;D
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2006, 02:30 PM »

Offline Maine outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 15, 2006, 12:07 PM »
If you can't legally fish for or posess pike from the lake what would be the use in stocking them illegally.  You can't keep or eat them or show them to your firiends.       

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #53 on: Feb 15, 2006, 12:16 PM »
I believe that was just an idea on how to prevent illegal stockings... and was further discussed to say that it would not be good for the lake not to be fished if it was illegally stocked.  Hope this helps... ;D
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #54 on: Feb 15, 2006, 01:40 PM »
I hate pike, I love pike, there's too many, they eat all the trout, I think they're bird food...bla bla bla.

Now maybe they don't have things as figured out in Maine as they do in Michigan (I don't even know how that'd be possible fyi) but it would seem to me that if the state decided that pike were becoming a problem in certian lakes and disrubting the balance of the fishery, your DFW would institue new regulations for those lakes to increase the number of pike harvested. And if its a problem that you don't think they see, but you and all of your buddies know its going to happen, do the responsible thing and do what you can to let it be known to all (especially those with the power to make change happen) and get the damn problem resolved.

But then again maybe some of you are right....maybe I should just start shooting all the Blue Jays that come to the feeder because I only want to see Cardnials when I look out my window.....I don't know. Maybe thats the best course of action.  Not a debate....cause if it were, I'd stand a chance of losing the argument.

By the way, Great video, thats exactly the way I think a trophy fish should be handled, especially if its going to be released.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 16, 2006, 01:19 AM »
HEY...did anyone see the sweet video that Bluefin posted??? That pike was a slob!! And it offered some insight on how we could better ensure the safe healthy release of ANY fish....YES, that includes TROUT for those narrow minds at work. I still cant get over how they treat it like a tuna with the bag and such...total respect for the fish :)

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:02 AM »
I still cant get over how they treat it like a tuna with the bag and such...total respect for the fish :)
I hear ya!  Most guys up here throw them around the ice like footballs.........or teach their kids to kick them around......last year i saw a pile of fish (Pike and Bass)....there must have been 30 or so....not filleted....just dead  ???

Offline TroutKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:39 AM »
Hi,

I don't know guys (and gals). I need to do myself a favor and stop reading these pike threads. My blood pressure goes through the roof every time I read one. I have stated before that I am a trout and salmon fisherman at heart. I have always been, and I will always be. I do not like the fact that pike are here. I think they are a fisheries management nightmare that really needs to go away. But I am also a realist, and I see that they are here, in some waters, and they cannot be eradicated without electroshocking a lake or pond. I am not in favor of that, either. I keep all the pike I catch, but I utilize them....every one of them, because I do not agree with killing for the sake of culling a species. I know, in my heart, that is wasteful.

On another note. I have previously stated that I am a coldwater game fisherman, and everytime I read a post like this, I feel as though I am insulted. People are using terms like "ignorant SOBs" etc. That is WRONG. I could say that about pike fishermen, but I don't. I do not want to stoop to that level. I am perfectly fine with the concept of "you fish for what you want, and I'll fish for what I want," but come on, enough with the name calling. THere was even a post with some violent, threatening language, such as "I'd have to spend a night in jail....for cold c**king." I can tell you that makes my blood boil. I hope never to meet that "fisherman."

Oh well...enough said. I guess I'll just wait for the intolerant responses.

TK

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:47 AM »
troutking  DID YOU READ THE TITLE OF THIS??

PIKEGUY

« Reply #59 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:53 AM »
You never will meet me. That's fine. It wasn't a threat to you or anyone on this site anyways. It's an issue that makes my blood boil when people talk about killing something because they don't like them.....AND WASTING THE RESOURCE. I don't think you disagree that it is Wrong. Now, are you implying that I am a violent and threatening person & not a "fisherman" because I got upset? Get real. If you can honestly tell me that you've never said you would deck someone for something in this life I'd be pretty surprised. If I was gonna hit a pike fisherman you'd probably be happy ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.