The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: tip up setup for bass  (Read 6692 times)

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
tip up setup for bass
« on: Jan 01, 2017, 06:54 PM »
im sure everyone has there own setup for bass thru the ice but what is the setup you guys like the best .
i like lighter lines around 4lb mono or 3lb .
size 6 or 8 hooks on shiners or chubs
about a foot under the ice  with a single split shot .
anyone have a better setup?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: tip up setup for bass
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:14 PM »
im sure everyone has there own setup for bass thru the ice but what is the setup you guys like the best .
i like lighter lines around 4lb mono or 3lb .
size 6 or 8 hooks on shiners or chubs
about a foot under the ice  with a single split shot .
anyone have a better setup?
thats a loaded question biggie,you decide mine is 3 to 5 feet of 25#lb test florocarbon vanish attached to main line 50#lb test by a swiv i attach a large split shot to keep bait in the strike zone and terminate with a red gama katsu treble hook size 6 with a chub shiner or fat head  ;) about a foot offa da bottom.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:57 PM »
1MOFISH pretty much nailed it on setup, although bass aren't exactly the brightest fish in the pond when having to use a floro leader, have used cheapo 60 pound test white ice line with a #4 hook and no leader ,any trout would have headed for the hills after seeing it, yet would catch bass left and right on it. and i won't even mention the pickerel,, just my 2cents...

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:51 PM »
thank you . i was just wondering what other people were using . i see you use alot heavier lines than i do but i bet you dont ever lose any
. happy new year and God Bless

Offline icefishermik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:51 PM »
pretty much the same as 1mofish except I go lighter. 17#  flourocarbon leader tied to a barrel swivel onto 25# braided ice line with #6 or #4 red octopus single hook to give the bass a fighting chance. LOL. Besides I hate to dig a treble hook out of a fish's gullet. I also use just enough weight to keep the shiner swimming in the 1 to 2 foot range off the bottom. Some times in deeper water no weight seems to work at times. I even caught 4  "smarter" trout yesterday with this set-up.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:18 AM »
Wow.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:33 AM »
same as mo but little lighter 20lb flouro foot or 2 of bottom.i noticed I pull 1 or 2 out sometimes with a little lighter and I want to pull every bass I can out of the lake. :thumbsup:

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:38 AM »
Wow.
I know it sounds intimating cap just shoot me a pm I can shore you how to do it.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:01 AM »
Do you use a wench also.lol

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:46 AM »
pretty much the same as 1mofish except I go lighter. 17#  flourocarbon leader tied to a barrel swivel onto 25# braided ice line with #6 or #4 red octopus single hook to give the bass a fighting chance. LOL. Besides I hate to dig a treble hook out of a fish's gullet. I also use just enough weight to keep the shiner swimming in the 1 to 2 foot range off the bottom. Some times in deeper water no weight seems to work at times. I even caught 4  "smarter" trout yesterday with this set-up.
ya ive seen mik do it for 40 years,he's a finesse fisherman down on his knees playing the fish,im more of a wicked tuna approach winch them in and horse them shock them MANO Y MANO to his defense mik rarely looses a fish and we do regularly had one break me off 25# test and MO JR had one yesterday do the same  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:49 AM »
forgot to mention i got a spool of 50# test seagar florocarbon ultra clear for when we get into the deeper water and BIG FISH lol
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I start out with a 10' leader of 6# mono tied off to a barrel swivel connected to 25# ice line. I use a #4 octopus hook. I also have a small split shot about a foot above the hook just to hold the bait down. I generally set 4 of the lines a foot or two off the bottom and the fifth line will be 4'- 6' below the ice. I regularly check the line condition just above the hook and re-tie when needed.

Offline BUFFORT T JUSTICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE FISHING 4 EVER!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:21 AM »
I like 8lb mono to black braid line.
The lighter lead will get a few perch and bass but,ill be wrecked by a big pickerel.
I use a #6 baitholder hook with, 2 splitshots spread about 5" apart.
With the split shots spread it makes the minnow movement different.
Keeps him moving more too.
SHOOT ALL THE BAD GUYS,,LET GOD SORT THEM.

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:17 PM »
see this is what i was looking for . everyone does is differently but not by that much .
thank you all as i just wanted to get an idea on how close or far apart we were doing this .
i usually use lighter line and smaller hooks only because i release the fish .
thank you all very much

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:48 PM »
 Bigvf  I agree with you. I don't target bass to speak of but use way lighter set up than most guys 15 lb braided line swivel,8-12 clear mono leader. Im not fond of treble hooks unless fishing for pike,then I use a quick strike rig. I've caught several pike on this set up,some as big as 20lbs and have not had any break offs. I enjoy the runs of big fish and the hand to hand combat,rather than just dragging them in on a clothes line. I caught a 38 pike on 3lb test last year jigging a size 14 Lindys toad and a St Croix legend 24 ultra light. Obviously there's more than one way to fish for bass.Obviously there not line shy, I would think you would get less drops using lighter line,that heavy line may create more resistance in the water,just my opinion.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:58 PM »
And think of all those bass that break of that light line and leave with a hook stuck in their mouths  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2017, 04:05 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2017, 04:07 PM »
And think of all the short bass gut hooked with a treble bleeding to be released to die. Out of sight out of mind,I've never had a bass break me off,get off yes. I've had plenty of bite offs from pike and no steel leader.

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2017, 04:51 PM »
And think of all the short bass gut hooked with a treble bleeding to be released to die. Out of sight out of mind,I've never had a bass break me off,get off yes. I've had plenty of bite offs from pike and no steel leader.
I've noticed this guy is a real downer....  I've been running steel leaders on everything this year, with beads and small perch blades as attractors.  I've been catching as many if not more than the guys around me using light floro leaders.  I went with the steel leaders and blades to try to pick up more Pike.  The bass haven't seemed to mind one bit.  I use size 4 or 6 treble hooks and keep my bait a few feet of the bottom.  Not a single gut hooked fish this year.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:28 PM »
I read all of the threads here in the PA section, and for the life of me, I can't understand all of the squabbling over bass.  I don't target bass; not sure why anyone would, but they are legal to catch and keep.  I much prefer walleye, crappie and perch for the table, but maybe bass are all that these fishermen can catch?  Maybe they're dirt poor and need to keep whatever they can catch legally?  Dunno.  Regardless, I haven't seen any posts indicating anyone is breaking the law and keeping bass illegally..  So...Live and Let Live Gentlemen.  This constant bickering is an embarrassment to everyone listing PA as their location.  My .02 cents. 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:00 PM »
I haven't been out much the last few years because of a bad back and lots of o.t. but I know that there are a lot of good fishermen on this site. Everyone has their own preferences and that's great. Myself, I mostly trout fish and do well, but I don't eat them so all go back. But give me a bucket of crappie or perch and I will trade trout anytime. if you like eating bass that's great for you. I love seeing mo's posts and I read them every day. gonna retire in 2 months and hope to fish a lot more. 62 is right around the corner!

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Hard to believe ive been on this site for 13 years.

Offline bigbassbowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "GO BIG OR GO HOME"
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:21 PM »
I use hot dogs on moldy bread
A bad day of fishing is a good day away from the wife!!!!

Offline Wicked_13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Do you use an all beef dog?

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:58 PM »
MOST OF THE WINTER TOURNEYS THE PAY OFF IS FOR BASS THATS WHEN AND WHY I TARGET THEM ON THE ICE, AND UNLIKE 99% OF THE GUYS THAT TAKE THEM TO THE WEIGH IN MY PRIORITY IS TO KEEP THEM ALIVE AND RELEASE THEM ALIVE.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:13 PM »
I read all of the threads here in the PA section, and for the life of me, I can't understand all of the squabbling over bass.  I don't target bass; not sure why anyone would, but they are legal to catch and keep.  I much prefer walleye, crappie and perch for the table, but maybe bass are all that these fishermen can catch?  Maybe they're dirt poor and need to keep whatever they can catch legally?  Dunno.  Regardless, I haven't seen any posts indicating anyone is breaking the law and keeping bass illegally..  So...Live and Let Live Gentlemen.  This constant bickering is an embarrassment to everyone listing PA as their location.  My .02 cents.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
GOD BLESS
mo

Chute82

« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:29 AM »
The first "Bass lives matter" meeting will be on Feb 30th at noon...save the date...

Offline BUFFORT T JUSTICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE FISHING 4 EVER!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:37 AM »
I myself dont keep bass.
I kinda new to this sport.
But if a tipup is gunna pop.
And theres a bass on the line.
I sure am not going to get mad.
All fish are fun to catch in my eyes.
I belive someone posted yesterday.
I cant remember who....
That suckers are fun to Catch.I would agree.
I would hope no one on the site is so poor to have to catch fish to survive.
I luv to eat fish.
Bluegill,Perch,Calico and You guys may laugh Bullheads.
Ive only caught 1 eye in my career out of Prompton.
It was the best.
Wish i could buy eye. :)
Bass is not for my taste buds so much as the others.
I do release all bass.
But i dont mind catching them.
Just my OPINION.
DONT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE.
SHOOT ALL THE BAD GUYS,,LET GOD SORT THEM.

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2017, 02:55 PM »
I agree with Buford, in my opinion Bass are sport fish, I never keep them.  Crappies and gills that aren't the biggest bulls in the lake are good for eating.  I use wire leader on my tip-ups 90% of the time, catch plenty of nice bass and some walleyes, it's good to know you won't be breaking the fish off and you never know when a monster will be taking the bait.

I use trebles but don't let the fish run too far and swallow the bait, rarely do I get a gut hooked fish. 

Offline icemagnet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2017, 04:31 PM »
I agreed^

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.