The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: tip up setup for bass  (Read 6693 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: tip up setup for bass
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2017, 05:13 PM »
thats a loaded question biggie,you decide mine is 3 to 5 feet of 25#lb test florocarbon vanish attached to main line 50#lb test by a swiv i attach a large split shot to keep bait in the strike zone and terminate with a red gama katsu treble hook size 6 with a chub shiner or fat head  ;) about a foot offa da bottom.
GOD BLESS
mo
i told you it was a loaded question? had time today to retie my leaders,not for bass specifically but fish in general.my
50# test florocarbon impossible to tie any suggestions? thought about crimping anyone do this? also found dacron frayed so i retied it too? i do have steel leaders will use them when chasing pike.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2017, 05:52 PM »
i dont care what people catch and keep to eat as long as its not abused.
i myself throw almost all fish back so it dosnt matter to me . i do fish light line
and i cant say that ive never lost a fish because of it .
but i have landed large fish on extremely light line and to me thats the challenge .
i wont put anyone down even if i dont agree with you .
but back to bass setups .
so no one finds that they get more hits on lighter lines?

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:10 PM »
ok 1 more question?
does anybody use firelines?
yes no what weights

Offline Coonhunter34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:11 PM »
I use a remote detonated m-80 on tipups. When the water is clear I use a harpoon gun and sight fish them pesky bass.  Minnow lives matter!!
Widow Maker Lures
Western Pa Hardwater tournament series

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:18 PM »
I feel you get more of a variety of fish to hit lightly leaders, I've caught some huge perch,crappie, and even walleye on tip -ups with 8 lb test mono. I don't think using heavy leaders you'd get these fish to hit on a regular basis.

Chute82

« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:43 PM »
I use a remote detonated m-80 on tipups. When the water is clear I use a harpoon gun and sight fish them pesky bass.  Minnow lives matter!!

Me and my vegan tree hunting buddies on the Sea Shepard are going to shut your harpooning operation down. 

Offline Coonhunter34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:42 PM »
Me and my vegan tree hunting buddies on the Sea Shepard are going to shut your harpooning operation down.

You'll never take me alive!!!
Widow Maker Lures
Western Pa Hardwater tournament series

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:50 PM »
This. Is. Priceless......

Carry on gentlemen!  :roflmao:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:34 AM »
Lots of guys dont like bass for table fair.
Im not a big fan of lg.mouth bass my self.
I fish NY.,CANNONSVILLE and DOWNSVILLE.
The Smallies in these dams taste like..
          FRESH WATER LOBSTER.
No joking.
I allways try to bring a few home for a meal.

Offline BUFFORT T JUSTICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE FISHING 4 EVER!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:48 PM »
I allways wanted to fish those dams.
My work schedule is tuff.
About a 2 hour drive from Cresco to Cannonsville.
SHOOT ALL THE BAD GUYS,,LET GOD SORT THEM.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:35 AM »

You'll never take me alive!!!
[IMG]http://www.seashepherd.org/images/news/2015/news-151109-1-2-SA-Steve-Irwin-rough-2-1000w.jpg[IMG/]Following the unprecedented success of Operation Icefish, Sea Shepherd has announced its second campaign to target illegal Patagonian and Antarctic toothfish operators in the Southern Ocean, Operation Icefish 2015-16.

Led by returning Captain, Sid Chakravarty, Sea Shepherd will once again focus its attention on defending the pristine waters of Antarctica, with the aim to eliminate illegal fishing of vulnerable toothfish from the region.

The flagship of the Sea Shepherd fleet, the Steve Irwin, will depart from Melbourne, Australia in December to patrol the “shadowlands” of the Southern Ocean, an area outside of national jurisdiction with limited legitimate vessel traffic and where the risk of detection of fishing crimes by law enforcement authorities is minimal.

The Sea Shepherd crews will employ innovative direct-action techniques to fill a law enforcement void that continues to be exploited by the remaining illegal toothfish vessels.

“The illegal operators of the Southern Ocean exist with a resilience that can be tackled only by the determination of Sea Shepherd. The oceans are in peril and our actions remain the only proactive and definite policing presence to tackle illegality. We intend to embrace the responsibility with courage and fortitude and once again locate, investigate and shut down the most notorious poachers on this planet,” said Captain Chakravarty.

Sea Shepherd's flagship, the Steve Irwin will depart from Melbourne, Australia in December to patrol the
Sea Shepherd’s flagship, the Steve Irwin will depart from Melbourne, Australia in December to patrol the “shadowlands” of the Southern Ocean.
Photo: Simon Ager
Capt. Sid Chakravarty will lead the crew of the Steve Irwin on Op. Icefish 2015-16. Photo: Sea Shepherd
Capt. Sid Chakravarty will lead the crew of the Steve Irwin on Op. Icefish 2015-16.
Photo: Sea Shepherd

Top predators in the waters of the Southern Ocean, toothfish are a unique, long-lived species that are particularly vulnerable to over-exploitation due to their slowness to reach sexual maturity and high market value.

More commonly known by their market name “Chilean Sea Bass,” toothfish live in Antarctic waters in depths of 300 to 2,500 meters, the coldest waters on Earth. Though only limited scientific information exists on the fish, illegal fishing is shown to have had a devastating impact on populations, leading to collapse and closure of some fishing areas.

Operation Icefish, which lasted for over five months and spawned international cooperative efforts that caused massive disruptions to the illegal toothfish trade, has been one of Sea Shepherd’s most successful conservation campaigns to date.

At the conclusion of the epic five-month campaign, five of the six known illegal toothfish poaching vessels had been detained. The sixth and most notorious, Thunder, was scuttled in waters surrounding São Tomé and Príncipe following a record-breaking 110-day pursuit by the Sea Shepherd ship, the Bob Barker. Sea Shepherd believes that the ship was scuttled in an attempt to destroy evidence of the Thunder’s illegal fishing operations.

Cooperation between local and international authorities, including Sea Shepherd and international policing agency Interpol, resulted in unprecedented fines and jail sentences for some of the worst offending companies and individuals behind the poaching operations.

Sea Shepherd has continued to monitor the movements of the remaining illegal vessels throughout the year and understands that two of the Interpol-wanted poachers, Viking and Kunlun (Taishan), have since absconded from justice. It will be these two vessels that are the focus of the new campaign.

Toothfish poaching vessel, Viking, was detained in Malaysia in March, but has since absconded from justice. (courtesy CCAMLR)
Toothfish poaching vessel, Viking, was detained in Malaysia in March, but has since absconded from justice. (courtesy CCAMLR)
Toothfish poaching vessel, Kunlun (Taishan), escaped from authorities in Thailand in September. Photo: Giacomo Giorgi
Toothfish poaching vessel, Kunlun (Taishan), escaped from authorities in Thailand in September.
Photo: Giacomo Giorgi

“Thanks to the achievements of Operation Icefish, Sea Shepherd has forged the way forward in the fight against illegal fishing in the Southern Ocean and beyond,” said Captain Peter Hammarstedt, Chair of the Board of Sea Shepherd Australia. “Captain Chakravarty and the crew of the Steve Irwin return to confront the remaining toothfish poachers with an extensive arsenal of experience and knowledge, confident of success in ridding the Southern Ocean of the toothfish poachers for good.”

fShare   
inShare
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:44 AM »

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:45 AM »
I think it is both ironic and funny that the name of this vessel is the Steve Irwin.  I was a fan of his show.  I loved his passion for wildlife, his penchant for adventures and his borderline insanity but I distinctly remember a few episodes where he was eating hamburgers.  Kinda' funny that a bunch of vegans would travel the oceans in a boat named after a meat eater. 

Offline bob3567

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:36 PM »
My entire life I've always only used a 6 ft. 10lb test mono leader attached with a barrel swivel to 50lb darcon.  The hooks I have used are Mustad 7826 split shank double hook size 6.  I use the number and size of split shot based on what size bait I'm hanging at the time. 

Lastly before attaching the barrel swivel I thread a old used cloths button onto the darcon.  I use it to mark my depth by holding it while the sounder goes to the bottom.  I pull the button back up the line a foot or two and wind it against the spool.  Now if a fish pulls the line I can tell by the button's location and also its very easy to set the rig back to the depth again quickly after catching a fish.

Offline frost

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:04 PM »
I have big tip ups for big pike/musky that I run home made 65lb flouro quickstrike rigs and catch big bass on them pretty regularly. The hooks are a size 4 or 6 treble for the mouth and 2 or 4 treble for the body. I don't catch any small bass on these sets mainly from running 7-10" baits would be my guess. I stopped running steel years ago and might break off 1 fish per season.

I also have tip ups set for walleye running 8-15lb flouro, water clarity pending, with a size 4-8 treble, jig head, or single baitholder depending on the bait size and again water clarity. This set usually gets me a bunch of bass of all sizes.

Last I have tip ups for crappie and perch. This I run a 4-6lb flouro leader with a size 6-8 treble, jig head, or single baitholder. Again I've caught many bass on this setup, but don't like to with the light line (unfortunately there's no stopping them from hitting).

All are tied onto 50lb Dacron tip up line with a barrel swivel, size depending on which tip up it is for. Then I run 2-3 split shot on the walleye and crappie/perch rigs and a barrel weight tied into the quickstrike rig on the toothy setup. The toothy set is tied onto the Dacron with a heavy duty snap swivel for changing quickstrike setups as needed for bait size, with/without blades, with beads and different colors depending on what the fish want.

Offline Thefixr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:46 AM »
You're right Ninga. If you're out to have fun and get some good tasting fish, give up the tip ups and start jigging. Can't even compare.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Never targeted bass but caught plenty. Lighter lines let your bait swim and move more freely and have always had more action than the guys fishing heavy lines be it from panfish, trout, pickerel or bass.

1mofish yes I crimp my heavy set ups I use for catching muskies. Works well and makes solid clean connections.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:12 PM »
I have cut the tails of off mine to slow them down,but every day is different .delawareriver you crimp flouro ?i have did steel but was not sure about flouro.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:28 PM »
i told you it was a loaded question? had time today to retie my leaders,not for bass specifically but fish in general.my
50# test florocarbon impossible to tie any suggestions? thought about crimping anyone do this? also found dacron frayed so i retied it too? i do have steel leaders will use them when chasing pike.
GOD BLESS
mo

Yep, if I'm inclined to play with plastic leader in that test (and above) I crimp. If you properly crimp you DO NOT need to tie AND glue as well. A proper crimp will serve you well if that's where you're going.

Below 50# test you can usually tie with confidence.

For tip on crimping techniques see this:http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:44 PM »
Never targeted bass but caught plenty. Lighter lines let your bait swim and move more freely and have always had more action than the guys fishing heavy lines be it from panfish, trout, pickerel or bass.

1mofish yes I crimp my heavy set ups I use for catching muskies. Works well and makes solid clean connections.
thanks deleware, ok can you tell me what to get. there are crimp kits on Azon i could get . thanks in advance
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Yep, if I'm inclined to play with plastic leader in that test (and above) I crimp. If you properly crimp you DO NOT need to tie AND glue as well. A proper crimp will serve you well if that's where you're going.

Below 50# test you can usually tie with confidence.

For tip on crimping techniques see this:http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html
thankx MOOSKI gonna try it
GOD BLESS
mo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.