New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Any Ice on Black Lake  (Read 7247 times)

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
Any Ice on Black Lake
« on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:44 PM »
Was thinkin about headin up to Black Lake this weekend...just wondering what the conditions were like.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any Ice on Black Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:53 AM »
Good ice in spots, this cold weather is helping.  If you check out the NY Reports area you'll seee a lot of the waters broken down and it'll give you some details.....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

bonkfan14

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:47 AM »
Was thinkin about headin up to Black Lake this weekend...just wondering what the conditions were like.
black lake is fine meet us at mile arm bay sat... there will be plenty of shanty members there... also look at my picks on the picture forum and that willl tel how good this year has been...zeke

dwayne

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:59 AM »
You having any trouble accessing the ice from Mile arm bay?  When I use to fish it heavily in the mid-nineties access from Mile arm was sketchy due to all the scum fisherman that would leave their trash behind and trash peoples property with their quads and snow machines.

Offline mrpike2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:26 AM »
according to t.i. bait there's 3to5 inches and open spots

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:28 AM »
Dwayne..I used to have the smae problem with accessing mile arm.  It took a trip down there one day to meet with an old gent name of Smitty, we identified ourselves and talked with him for over an hour, he ended up giving me a key to the gate that used to be across Scot Acres road.  Told me that I could come in any time I wanted to, but if the gate was locked just make sure I locked it behind me.  I'd drop the plow on the way in and make a pass if there was snow and then would drop it all the way out to the road leading to Rossie and would leave the occasional pike for his cats as he requested.  Met a guy that had the big camp on SA road, he came out one day and chatted for a few minutes, he was either from central or western NY, told me to come in anytime as well.

Now I know people that have property on the other road as well coming into MAB, so I have good access points, not sure if old Smitty is still alive or not and haven't been there in a few years now, the pike bite really shut off there back around 2000 or so.  I'm not a crappie fisherman, don't have the patience for them and the last mess of perch I caught there were all grubby.

The ice always set there first, and if not there then after getting to Edwardsville, if you turned right and headed for the Burg, then at the spot where the old hot dog trailer was parked, it always set up early and it was good access, but thats on the main lake.  One of these days I'm going to have to get a vex or something similar and try those crappies, but my love is for those lunker pike....I like them as well as any panfish and you don't need to catch near as many of them for a good feed.

The beef that Smitty had, as well as most other landowners down there was the scum fishermen as someone mentioned leaving trash all over the shorelines and tearing up the land with trucks, wheelers, etc...even if you were a responsible fishermen you got looked at in the same manner....it's a nice spot to fish, ahve always enjoyed being there.....caught a lot of big pike in there for about 5 years, returned most of them to the lake......

bonkfan14

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:37 AM »
dwayne...ill have my machine there this weekend last weekend shore was kinda soft but still got on...my friend owns 4 camps on chapmans pt road so i have acess ....

mr pike ti doesnt kknow crap about anything ....there is 8-10 inches on the bay... iv been fishing it for 2 months straight...

esox... smitty is still there and doing well hes out there every weekend and can be found cruising up and down the lake on his old honda 4 wheeler w/a plow on it..

well i hope this helps everyone out and we will have a bunch of guys there this sat so come on and join in...zeke

Offline mrpike2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:11 AM »
where's the best place to go on black lake and where do you get on i'd like to bring my wheeler and not walk

bonkfan14

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:52 AM »
where's the best place to go on black lake and where do you get on i'd like to bring my wheeler and not walk
turn down scot acres rd and park inthe field eveyone else is parked in...dont block any camps or they will call a tow truck ...you also can park on the road a 4 wheeler it in that what most people do...zeke

dwayne

« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Since I live in far eastern NY now, it has been a few years since i fished Black lake through the ice.  The perch were typically grubby, at least the ones I remember.  Crappie were definitely the panfish of choice up there.  Even without a vexilar back then I still did really well on them.

Rollaway bay still have access?

bonkfan14

« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:13 AM »

Rollaway bay still have access?
dont know dwayne i mostly fish mile arm bay...pm chapmanssports they should be able to help you out...zeke

dwayne

« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:26 AM »
dont know dwayne i mostly fish mile arm bay...pm chapmanssports they should be able to help you out...zeke

No big deal..I was just curious..I have no plans of going up this year.

Offline P.Edwards

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:18 PM »
hows the shoreline in mile arm bay crappiedaddie down by the boat launch in the back of the bay and are they still catching them up there?
P.EDWARDS

bonkfan14

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:21 PM »
hows the shoreline in mile arm bay crappiedaddie down by the boat launch in the back of the bay and are they still catching them up there?
im sure its ok...i will be up there sat...zeke

Offline mrpike2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:24 PM »
how much new snow in that area?

bonkfan14

« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:30 PM »
my buddy that lives on mile arm all year said really didnt get much less than 3 inches...zeke

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:24 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  We were gonna head up that way saturday.. Maybe see some of ya out there......If i remeber correctly theres a bait shop right there correct?  If so anyone know what time they open?

bonkfan14

« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  We were gonna head up that way saturday.. Maybe see some of ya out there......If i remeber correctly theres a bait shop right there correct?  If so anyone know what time they open?
theres a bait shop on rt37 in thresa cant think of the name rite now but its open early...r you fishing mile arm?...zeke

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:56 PM »
CD:  are you talking about Spruce Acres?  It was on the left as you head north a few miles out of Pamelia.  If thats the one, they've closed for good.  What I might suggest is Gander Mountain right off rt 81 in Watertown...they open the bait shop at 0700.  There may be one as well farther up 37 toward Theresa, but I'm not aware of it......Esox.  (No, I don't work for GM)

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:58 PM »
esox slayer i sent u a pm
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

bonkfan14

« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:02 PM »
CD:  are you talking about Spruce Acres?  It was on the left as you head north a few miles out of Pamelia.  If thats the one, they've closed for good.  What I might suggest is Gander Mountain right off rt 81 in Watertown...they open the bait shop at 0700.  There may be one as well farther up 37 toward Theresa, but I'm not aware of it......Esox.  (No, I don't work for GM)
there is one on rt37 in thresa we stop there sometimes it is on the right hand side heading towards rossie from thresa...zeke

Offline riverdogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:03 PM »
There is a new bait shop just past the bowling alley in Theresa on Rte. 37 called Land of Lakes .  I haven't been there but have heard good things.  Felder's Service Station in Redwood has a bait shop too.  This is right on Rte 37 as well.  They usually have really nice bait.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:06 PM »
zeke and riverdog..thanks for telling me about that shop in Theresa, didn't know about that one as I hardly ever go up route 37 for anything...thanks again and tight lines.........Esox..

bonkfan14

« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:07 PM »
There is a new bait shop just past the bowling alley in Theresa on Rte. 37 called Land of Lakes .  I haven't been there but have heard good things.  Felder's Service Station in Redwood has a bait shop too.  This is right on Rte 37 as well.  They usually have really nice bait.
thats the one....great place...zeke

Offline P.Edwards

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2006, 12:42 PM »
crappiedaddie have you been to tusc lately?and what Res is it that you and that one guy are at with all those panfish?
P.EDWARDS

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2006, 12:50 PM »
CD: Im not sure where we are going to set up camp yet. Ive never fished Black Lake through the ice so im gonna check out the topographic map first.  I plan on setting up for pike and walleye and jiggin while i wait.  Do you reccomend any other nearby hard water that may produce pike or walleye better than Black Lake would?

Offline bigbay crappie buster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:34 PM »
new bait store opens at 6am daily really nice owners there very helpful cant think of name but they will give you any info you need for all 14 lakes in 20 mile area . they put me on a walleye spot there im gonna try in the spring . milealarm bay has been great fishing for me this year i got limit all 4 times i went there no grubs in crappies got alot of medium bluegills,no grubsin them . perch had few grubs. was there 2 weeks ago very icy on that back road in shore line was ok ,i think the weather has stiffined it up by now ill be there sat ,so i hope to talk to the shanty group ,if you see alabama plates on pathfinder im there, good luck if we dont see eachother,lol.
fill your buckets with quality not quantity and enjoy the conversations over heard of how good a fisherman you are................... ....

Offline FISHFLY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2006, 06:32 PM »
Hey guys I was thinking about making a trip to Black Lake this summer with the family. I am looking for any cabins for rent or public camping areas. I have a boat I will be trailing so I need some space- Any help would be appreciated

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2006, 06:35 PM »
Try this.....

http://www.blacklakeny.com/

There's an accomodations page and various other pages to look through...hope this helps...Esox

bonkfan14

« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2006, 06:52 PM »
new bait store opens at 6am daily really nice owners there very helpful cant think of name but they will give you any info you need for all 14 lakes in 20 mile area . they put me on a walleye spot there im gonna try in the spring . milealarm bay has been great fishing for me this year i got limit all 4 times i went there no grubs in crappies got alot of medium bluegills,no grubsin them . perch had few grubs. was there 2 weeks ago very icy on that back road in shore line was ok ,i think the weather has stiffined it up by now ill be there sat ,so i hope to talk to the shanty group ,if you see alabama plates on pathfinder im there, good luck if we dont see eachother,lol.
iv seen your truck at big bay this year almost everytime i was there so were you ...funny how we never met..well maybe sat we will...zeke

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.