New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Saratoga Shanty's thru the ice  (Read 5494 times)

camo_fish

Saratoga Shanty's thru the ice
« on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:14 PM »
Hardside shacks have gone through the ice and the lake is open from the kaydeross all the way down to the cement wall at the corner to the old park and beach.
Not looking good.

Hookset your hardside and the other brown shanty on Saratoga Lake have broken thru the ice and the open water is near.  :'( Hope the weather freezes things back up so you can try to get out to it.

There were still a few guys out from fitch rd. and some hardsides still on top of the ice down the western side.

I would be very carefull if you go out on any ice this weekend.

STAY ON TOP!

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Saratoga Shanty's thru the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:23 PM »
hey camo was just out there off fitch, my shanty was in half way got it out though with comalongs. that was just to get started once it was out, it blew down the lake alittle with me and friend in tow. its all good now though on 7 inches of pure black hard water.  the big blue shanty and the brown one are all done for though. my feelings go out to those shanty owners.
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

camo_fish

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:30 PM »
the blue one is Hookset's  :'(

and the brown one is almost all under, the lake just opened up and shallowed them.  :P

That a crappy year for ice.

Glad to here that you got your shanty out. I guess that was you out there straight out from fitch and the only hardside on top of the water there. So, did you take it home or is it still sitting on the side of the ice?

Still 7" of out still, wow, still would be very carefull out there.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:30 PM »
Dang thats too bad, just goes to show ya how fast things can turn nasty out there... I hope everyone gets their shacks out.. SAFELY

Becareful out there!

Caroga Kid and I were thinking of hittin Saratoga saturday, looks like a change of plans are in order huh?

camo_fish

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Caroga Kid and I were thinking of hittin Saratoga saturday, looks like a change of plans are in order huh?
yea I would still high in the mountains, for the safer ice.  ;D Still plenty of ice up north.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:55 PM »
yea I would still high in the mountains, for the safer ice.  ;D Still plenty of ice up north.
Yeah we are still fishing on well over a foot of ice on the local ponds.. we just wanted to try someplace new...   maybe we will hit 7th or Limekiln... what do ya think CarogaKid?

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:01 PM »
That really sucks....there is still good ice up north here in the valley so I am sure the dacks are nice and thick, hopefully this cold over the coming week or so will make some good ice for the capitol district guys  :)

bonkfan14

« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Yeah we are still fishing on well over a foot of ice on the local ponds.. we just wanted to try someplace new...   maybe we will hit 7th or Limekiln... what do ya think CarogaKid?

how about a trip really up north like say black?...i will be there sat w/a bunch of shanty members...just asking thats all...zeke

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:17 PM »
hey camo the shanty is still out and and ready to be fished out of, its gonna take more than that to get me off Saratoga. and you cold bum the ice is still fine here on the lake so come on down sat me and some fam will be out, by then there should be over a foot of ice with this weeks weather, stop by the shanty for a dog and a beverage, this goes for you too camo and any other shanty members.
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

camo_fish

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:38 PM »
stop by the shanty for a dog and a beverage, this goes for you too camo and any other shanty members.
cool, might stop in for a dog and cold one. Looks like some nasty wind still for tomarrow.  :-\ Or, I'd be out.
Was that your red truck by the pumphouse? Don't ya get tickets parking there?

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:53 PM »
yeah that was my truck, i didnt know they gave tickets there i all ways do. but i ussually fish during the week, dont know if that makes a diff. if you can't park there than where can you? i dont want to get in trouble or piss anybody off, i like fishing there.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:50 PM »
I think theres a "NO parking here to corner" sign on that spot isnt there? even though theres always guys arking at the pumpohouse i dont know why ???????????????
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:28 PM »
That sucks...  :'(.. I hope those guys get there shack back safely... :'(

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:10 AM »
If ya put em out then ya gotta watch em! Nobody wants a shanty to go thru, but prudence is required?
In Canada they will make you get em off regardless of weather, salvage is a huge bussiness on simcoe and other lakes. Snowmobiles also need that help when doing water crossings.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:19 AM »
Man, tough break...  :'(  I hope that everyone can get their shanties out safely, although from the sound of things, that isn't a probablility...As of last night, the lake we were on (not the one here at school) was at 13" and growing....I only wish the same would hold true for all of you...  :(

-Zach

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:42 AM »
What kind of fines etc should be expected when a shanty goes under?

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:56 AM »
Man that sucks! I remember on W. Caroga in "shanty town" about 10 years ago a bunch of them went in the water due to early ice and an early thaw.

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:08 PM »
What kind of fines etc should be expected when a shanty goes under?

I dont know about shantys, but I know a guy who had his pickup go into warners lake in about 15 feet of water quite a few years ago and DEC fined him around $ 100. a day until he got it out. on top of that he had to hire someone I think it was roberts towing to pull the truck out. :-\ after he hired a pro diver to hook up the cables. it can be expensive. not to mention his insurance didnt cover the loss because he drove on the lake. >:(

Offline 9fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You try tying a knot with 9Fingers!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:11 PM »
How deep was the water where the shanty's went in? I would think if it was deep enough there wouldn't be a navigation hazard come Spring time. If not deep enough they may have to get a little creative in underwater demo. Either way it's to bad they went in.
"The problem with the rest of the world is..their a few drinks behind" Humphrey Bogart

camo_fish

« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:30 PM »
How deep was the water where the shanty's went in? I would think if it was deep enough there wouldn't be a navigation hazard come Spring time. If not deep enough they may have to get a little creative in underwater demo. Either way it's to bad they went in.
It's not over 10 FOW there but if she opened up and the shanty floated alittle bit it would possible be over 30+ water, but dought it. So any 7-8 foot shanty would be a problem in 10 FOW cause the lake is high now and will drop some over the summer.
So creative shanty rescue is in need.  ;)

Offline 9fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You try tying a knot with 9Fingers!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:37 PM »
I wouldn't mind putting on the scuba gear in Saratoga in the summer but I sure would hate to slip into that water at this time of the year! Good luck!  :tipup:
"The problem with the rest of the world is..their a few drinks behind" Humphrey Bogart

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:09 PM »
yeah that was my truck, i didnt know they gave tickets there i all ways do. but i ussually fish during the week, dont know if that makes a diff. if you can't park there than where can you? i dont want to get in trouble or tinkle anybody off, i like fishing there.

You can park on Fitch Rd from the end of the far "no parking between signs"' sign all the way up the hill. Just make sure your tires are completely off the pavement. Drop your stuff off at the pump house so you don't have to carry it and park where it's legal.

Camo - I think we need one of those big military helicopters to lift it straight out and set it on good ice. 

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2006, 12:18 PM »
Shanties aren't looking good... I hope they get them out before DEC starts writing Tickets... :-\    http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=167810

hali-man

« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2006, 12:23 PM »
I'm surprised we haven't heard from Hookset on this.  ???
Is this colder weather going to help or hinder retrieving the shanties?

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2006, 12:51 PM »
I'm surprised we haven't heard from Hookset on this.  ???
Is this colder weather going to help or hinder retrieving the shanties?
Yeah Where the heck is HookSet? I hope he's not still in his shanty... :o

Offline watkin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:35 PM »
the times union today showed a picture of the light blue shanty with the satellite dish 80% through the ice and DEC were in a hover craft next to it.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Hey folks.  Yup, things went bad.  I fished in it last Wednesday, fished the Northern Derby in Tupper last weekend and it went under on Sunday night sometime.  Talked to DEC, they are being mildly understanding.  They tried to move it closer to shore, but they tore the ice up so bad that it appears they have done more damage than good.  As of yesterday afternoon, I couldn't get within about 30 feet of it because of all the broken ice.  I have a diver going out this morning to take a gander (can't wait to pay for that!).  I did notice that nearly every photo in the papers and on the news show the satellite dish.  Who would have thought a dish would be so popular?  Anyway, the DEC guys tell me that she is still whole, minus one busted window that was broken by the force of the prop on the boat (uh huh).  Then they took the opportunity to look inside (uh huh).  We have no toxins, petroleum products, etc in there, so there is no seepage of any kind.  Don't want to hurt the fishery.  The shanty is nowhere near the channel, so I'm not sure why they keep mentioning a navigation hazard.  Not to mention that it was sitting in 12 feet of water.

All in all, things suck, but we hope to have her back on the ice today.  If anyone is around this morning, come out to the lake and watch the circus, I bet it draws a crowd.  There were people there yesterday when I was there just looking at it from the shore.  Great.
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:05 AM »
Good luck getting her out!! Hope it goes smoothly and you have her back on top.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Well good luck with this one Hookset. I'd be there to help you in a heartbeat...but I'm kinda far away. :-\ ;)

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2006, 12:12 PM »
Just went to the lake to talk with the diver.  He is working on my neighbors shanty right now.  He may not get to mine until tomorrow morning.  The diver did go throught the ice today near the edge of the open water...no thanks.  The shanty is still 100+ yards off of shore and the water is still open even after the cold temps.  The wind is not our friend right now.  Met Pro50Guy out there today, he saved his shanty early in the week.  Nice work.  Still hoping for the best, hope to see her on top tomorrow morning.
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.