Author Topic: bad transducer  (Read 3441 times)

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
bad transducer
« on: Nov 07, 2016, 10:46 AM »
How can I tell if my transducer is bad and not just that my Lowrance x67 is junk
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: bad transducer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2016, 11:00 AM »
What are you experiencing ? Other may have experienced what your going through if your more specific .

Batteries can cause a multiple of woes .

Here is a transducer test video ....I would think in flasher mode you should be to get similar results/conclusions .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2016, 11:06 AM »
I just did the transducer test, and found that mine was bad. I've had the unit for 10 years, so they wear out after time. I just replaced my battery last year, so I knew it wasn't that. When I tested the old one on my LX3 TC I had to turn the gain up to at least 8 to get a signal. With the new transducer I was getting a signal with the gain at 3 :tipup:

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2016, 12:49 PM »
I have seen fish on the camera that it won't pick up. The depth is always spot on and I have reset the unit to go back to factory specs but it just doesn't seem to be working. Tall weeds also seem to confuse it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2016, 12:54 PM »
Search upper left for your make and model ...I am not familiar with the x67 at all  ...but searching past threads should help

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=101897.0

http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/X67c_addI_ice_0151-152_111303.pdf
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TeamTwoSticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2016, 02:51 PM »
Do you have the fish ID option turned on? Is the transducer pointing straight down? Does it show the bottom like normal? What condition is your battery in? Are any of your options in the auto state, i.e auto sensitivity? I have two of these unit and one of them is acting up ever since I dropped it. The depth will be displayed but it no longer shows bottom or fish on both sonar and flasher modes.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2016, 03:44 PM »
thanks diehard, I printed those and will take them with me if we ever get ice out here. Two sticks I did turn everything off from the auto function and it doesn't seem to help. I went back to the factory settings thinking I just had the thing so far out of adjustment from playing with it that I had messed it up. I did take a tumble down a hill and yard sale'd  the entire sled with all my gear.... hope I didn't bounce it too hard. I will try it again this season and spend my money on a flip over shelter as the hub makes me less mobile. Thanks everyone for your assistance. anybody know if there is a simple continuity test for the transducer or an ohms test like a bad injector?

Offline TeamTwoSticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2016, 01:44 PM »
Sent you a PM albo.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2016, 02:06 PM »
Can you up the ping speed and feel the transducer click or ping  if it does it's good it most likely the settings .. and have had the same problem on mine you need to reset the unit and go from their.. there are a few videos on how people have theirs set up wright down the specs and go from there.. those video are on you tube. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2016, 09:50 AM »
How common is it for a transducer to go bad? 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2016, 11:00 AM »
anybody know if there is a simple continuity test for the transducer or an ohms test like a bad injector?
you brought up a good question, so i checked for resistance on my two brands of transducers and found no resistance at all on any of the 3 pins in any combination.
they are a crystal, being 3 wires, one must be data while the other 2 must be power.
when you call a shop or at least marcum, they will tell you to do the hard floor test because that's what they do too. if you try it, i noticed narrow beam needed more gain than wide beam by nearly 2x at the same distance, but in a different brand than yours.
while in tall weeds or heavy plankton, i use narrow beam to reduce worthless information i have to discern.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2016, 12:52 PM »
I had to replace my transducer on my LX5 last year it was about 5 or 6 years old. I know they wear out but I think there is no set time limit, it happens when it happens. I had another LX5 and just swapped transducers to determine it was indeed a bad transducer. It started acting like I was fishing around 10 other units all kinds of crazy readings even though I was fishing by myself.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2016, 08:20 AM »
How common is it for a transducer to go bad?

I think after time just like batteries, they start to lose their "juice" so to speak. I don't really think there is a time frame for when it can happen though, I'm sure it relates to how much the transducer is running :tipup:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2016, 05:30 AM »
In my experience transducers don't "go bad" or "wear out". I've some a couple over 30 years old that have saw heavy use and still work fine.

The biggest issues with them are a bad cable wearing or breaking internally right at the transducer or the plug on the other end or dropping/banging the transducer on something hard (like ice) can crack a crystal or otherwise cause internal damage.

To get the best life out of them be mindful the cable is somewhat protected from extreme flexing at either end and from nicks and cuts. Do not drop or hit the transducer on anything hard.

Of course in your case, it may be too late.... I got a 67x and a M68, love 'em both.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.